Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Namtab posted:

Which 3 do you want me to count?

Whoops, sorry, thought we were doing a bottom five like the top five in the best anime thread. In that case, strip out UBW 2 and Plastic Memories from my list and throw 'em on the dishonourable mentions pile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

These are mostly most disappointing rather than outright bad, but whatever.

Aldnoah Zero s2: took what was a fairly fun show show about an autistic guy owning super robots in his trainer while badass music played and ran every single aspect of it into the ground and I hate it

Yurikuma Arashi: can't really say I hate it but oh man, a confused mess written by someone who thinks that LGBT stuff hasn't advanced at all since 1978.
At least the manga is okay.

Build Fighters Try: another incredible slump in quality between seasons, main character was a boring one-trick pony who sidelined the actual good characters and the writers had absolutely no idea how to make 3 on 3 battles work apart from 'two get shot down so it's one on one' or 'everyone pairs up for a one on one fight'.
Tryon 3 was good though.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yurikuma gently caress this show and everyone who thinks its somehow saved gay people. why didn't we just let the artist lady make a yuri show about 2 30-soemthings making out. why are we acting like the dude who really likes boob mousepads, crossdresses as rei hino, and thinks that male/female romances demand more screentime than lesbian ones is the guy we have to turn to for lesbian representation, just because he made utena. utena wasn't even really about lesbianism, it was about sexual awakening in general. gently caress everyone who likes this show and gently caress every ann writer who thinks it's the hero we deserve. aahhhhh.

if you just liked it for pantyshots tho i dont' care.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Namtab posted:

I'm really trying to make it be about things people actually tried to watch but didn't like, rather than having three votes for whatever paedophile/incest anims japan threw at us over the course of a year

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

Aldnoah Zero s2: took what was a fairly fun show show about an autistic guy owning super robots in his trainer while badass music played and ran every single aspect of it into the ground and I hate it

:agreed:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I didn't watch all that many shows, but the shows I did watch were disappointing. Actually, just the two shows this year:

Gundam Reconguista in G - Man, the art looked sooooo good throughout this, but it's like Tomino took a deep deep suck on a huge spliff and blew out the smoke onto an animation cell and that became the show, because I could barely understand what the hell was going on in every episode. There were lots of people talking, but just saying Alice in Wonderland-like rambles, and not in the entertaining, somewhat-comprehensible way that Turn-A was. I kept watching it because I loved Turn-A and kept waiting for the point where things would turn and we'd understand what was the point of it all and it'd be just one long wacky ride, but I guess not. Man, and it had so much promise too -- Turn-A with the character design of Eureka 7 and a funky retro animation style with modern digital production values. Man... :smith:

Log Horizon S2 - It was a season of filler, down to the shoddy animation. Major disappointment from the high and the promise of still greater adventures that Log Horizon 1 promised us.

Avoided Show:

Cross Ange - I heard it had rape.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

i don't actually watch much anime as a general rule and as such tend to be pretty careful about only watching things that are good so i've only got one anime to put here sadly

1) the seven deadly sins: it's boring predictable garbage full of asspulls and two characters who want to gently caress underaged (no it's ok because one is actually eleventybillion years old and the other one didnt want to gently caress her when she was a little girl and also she's a giant so that's ok) girls.

and because of a mixture of horrible boredom and deepest depression i watched the whole loving thing and regretted every drat minute. well except when the stupid talking pig got killed, i laughed at that, and then it didn't get killed and i laughed more.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
It'd be easy to just write the same thing I did in my post for the Best Anime of 2015, but I'm gonna put some (small) effort to this:

1. Rokka no Yuusha: That ending was goddawful. Seriously, gently caress this show.
  2. Chaos Dragon: This was a no-brainer. It's really easy to screw up the narrative of an RPG session. It's as if Hajime Kanzaka taught us nothing.
  3. Dragon Ball Super: The 2 movies were okay in that feel-good rose-colored drive down memory lane. This is a poo poo-shower.

Dishonorable mentions:
  • Psycho Pass Movie: For all this had going for it, it was still really boring. Get it together, Urobuchi!
  • Gangsta: A sad descent into a wet fart of a conclusion.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
I can only think of 2 shows this year that came out I super did not enjoy.

The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan just had nothing going on in it. I dunno what it was but for everything that was cuteish was not enough to save it from me just being bored.

Gangsta had things going on for a while but then halfway through it just decided to ramp things up and end on a literal non ending. And that's why the studio is bankrupt...and other bad business decisions I'm sure.

Anime I avoided: I stayed away from I Can't Understand what my Husband is Saying. You ain't fooling me again.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Oh! And I forgot one more thing: The male singer from Ling Toshite Shigure gets on your nerves really fast.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

I avoided Valkyrie Drive.

Worse than Cross Ange. It also wasted one or two good designs.

I don't think I watched 3 episodes of anything I'd really want to put on a worst of season list.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
Bad post ^^^

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012
Charlotte

I don't know why I finished this, it had like half a good episode. The plot was utter nonsense. Why can you write decent VNs and yet not create an anime to save your life, Maeda?

Overlord

Transparent escapist fantasy, except with more edginess.

Kekkai Sensen

This is my revenge for having such a cool setting and characters, and the best ED of the year, and yet ruining it all with such a bad anime original plotline that made no sense, plus that absurd delay of the last episode by more than a month.

Dishonorable mentions to Log Horizon s2 and Aldnoah Zero s2.

Avoided like the plague: Valkyrie Drive

kater
Nov 16, 2010

DEAR YOUR LIE IN APRIL gently caress YOU.

Your Lie In April

gently caress you. Twenty episodes about the most banal main character surrounded by amazeballs everyones that exist solely to worship his worthless dopeyness. I can't handle remembering how worthless the ending was. Made all the worst by probably being the best looking show of the year. I want to get everyone responsible for this show and make them watch Cross Ange.

rokka sucked really bad

rokka sucked really bad. Terrible animation quality for a show that was never anything more than a ninja fight thing, terrible half-season-of-filler, utterly insane fever-dream of a last episode.

Sailor Moon Crystal

I saw this on the list in the other thread but I bet nobody actually knows for certain if it ended.

Most Avoided: Kantai Collection. Stupid poo poo like Cross Ange is at least trying to be shocking. KanColle feels like someone had a weird idea and then proceeded to not think about it at all, stick wax in their ears so they couldn't hear other peoples thoughts about it, and continue happily drawing ship girls.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

kater posted:

Most Avoided: Kantai Collection. Stupid poo poo like Cross Ange is at least trying to be shocking. KanColle feels like someone had a weird idea and then proceeded to not think about it at all, stick wax in their ears so they couldn't hear other peoples thoughts about it, and continue happily drawing ship girls.

That's good. I'm glad they did that.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Aquarion logos had very bad music and instead of being about how important love is it was about how important kanji are. Why the gently caress even call it aquarion if it ditches every reason anyone liked aquarion? Most avoided for sure.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Kancolle sucked because of the lovely cg and the fact that they couldnt decide if they wanted to be a serious drama or a slice of life

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

They got the game mechanics wrong as well smh

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
This isn't necessarily a vote for anything but I watched the first episode of Kancolle and it was exceedingly dull and tedious. I almost didn't make it to the ED.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I avoided Kancolle because everything I hear or see about it leads me to believe it's got disturbingly pedo and nationalistic/jingoistic vibes to it.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Shipgirls are good. The kancolle anime is bad. The game too, for that matter.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

DrSunshine posted:

I avoided Kancolle because everything I hear or see about it leads me to believe it's got disturbingly pedo and nationalistic/jingoistic vibes to it.
It's neither of those things.

Almost wish it were the latter though since then at least it might've been interesting.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I avoided Kancolle because I'm a devout Korean.

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

Shipgirls are good. The kancolle anime is bad. The game too, for that matter.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Good Ships:
Dark Skinned Ship
Eye Patch Horns Ship
Sakura Chiyo Ship

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

None of those are coffeeboat Zep.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Didn't pass the three episode test on anything bad, but I will say that my most avoided show was that Attack On Lesbian Bears (no clue what the actual name was) show that I am still not convinced wasn't just a joke on the upcoming anime thread

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

but i heard kancolle makes boatloads of money

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Lesbian bears are no joke.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

NotALizardman posted:

None of those are coffeeboat Zep.

Then obviously coffeeboat isn't worth my attention or time.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

The Glumslinger posted:

Didn't pass the three episode test on anything bad, but I will say that my most avoided show was that Attack On Lesbian Bears (no clue what the actual name was) show that I am still not convinced wasn't just a joke on the upcoming anime thread

it's real but the only worthwhile thing to be gleaned from it is the character designer's name and work in manga.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool

Good Listener posted:

I can only think of 2 shows this year that came out I super did not enjoy.

The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan just had nothing going on in it. I dunno what it was but for everything that was cuteish was not enough to save it from me just being bored.

Gangsta had things going on for a while but then halfway through it just decided to ramp things up and end on a literal non ending. And that's why the studio is bankrupt...and other bad business decisions I'm sure.

Anime I avoided: I stayed away from I Can't Understand what my Husband is Saying. You ain't fooling me again.

I am going to add Sailor Moon Crystal to shows I did not enjoy because I was quite angry with it most of the last year. I realized Sailor Moon needs the stupid monsters of the day to be fun and if this is what the manga is like, I don't know how it ever got popular. Also it was ugly 99% of the time.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Gangsta was my worst purely because I loved the first few episodes then watched it death spiral into crap.

Kancolle was boring, I would be into dumb shipgirl slice of life but trying and failing to do action and death sunk it.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I don't really have any hated anime because I only go for anime that I think I may have an interest in.

I guess the biggest disappointment this year for me was Kekkai Sensen. A part might have to do with how people talked it up so much in the thread, which set overly high expectations.

Though perhaps it's less expectations and more along the lines of me losing interest. The first few episodes were great, I was really into it, but then I suddenly sorta gave up, which is rare cause I generally finish anime that I've gone more than halfway into.

Still, I can't deny that Kekkai Sensen had the best ED of the year, and it's OP was really good too.

As for anime I went out of my way to avoid, there's Prison School, I guess?

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

1. Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan for its flagrant attempt to debase the integrity of Haruhi with a bunch of dull, generic bullshit. I mean the least you could do is have them stay in character in your glorified fanfic.

2. Sailor Moon Crystal for being the colossal disappointment everyone knew it would be yet pretended it wouldn't for some reason.

3. Tokyo Ghoul Root A for doing a great job animating a pretty good series and then really phoning it the hell in for the second cour.

As for most avoided, I got about 30 seconds into Cross Ange before deciding it was probably the type of generic trash that I'd probably drop halfway through the second episode even if I made it through the first. Apparently it had something with rape or something? I guess I'm not exactly losing any sleep over my decision.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Hello, literally the fourth person to like Tokyo Ghoul. What up buddy.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Hello, literally the fourth person to like Tokyo Ghoul. What up buddy.

It was pretty much Vampire the Masquerade but with zombies; what's not to like?

Endorph posted:

yurikuma gently caress this show and everyone who thinks its somehow saved gay people. why didn't we just let the artist lady make a yuri show about 2 30-soemthings making out. why are we acting like the dude who really likes boob mousepads, crossdresses as rei hino, and thinks that male/female romances demand more screentime than lesbian ones is the guy we have to turn to for lesbian representation, just because he made utena. utena wasn't even really about lesbianism, it was about sexual awakening in general. gently caress everyone who likes this show and gently caress every ann writer who thinks it's the hero we deserve. aahhhhh.

if you just liked it for pantyshots tho i dont' care.

I'm starting to think I made the right call when I decided to avoid any and all serious discussion about this show...

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost
Shimoneta: Which started pretty OK, but got super uncomfortable in like the fourth or fifth episode where there was a scene where one character (Anna iirc) attempts to rape the main character and I feel like it was being treated as a funny moment, because it cut to a seal raising its head to imply that the victim was getting a boner. Then I'm pretty sure in the next episode she continues her attempts and it's played for laughs. It was awful.

I avoided Cross Ange like the plague because of the things I'd heard about it in the season thread.

Blank Construct fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Dec 22, 2015

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Man, this is tough. Most of the stuff I watched either finished or didn't hit the 3 episode test...

1) Yurikuma Arashi: It had potential, but ultimately squandered all of it.
2) Sailor Moon Crystal: It reminded me I liked Sailor Moon... by not being Sailor Moon. :(
3) Owarimonogatari: With all the monogatari avs in the chat thread, this got the 3 episode test, but ultimately wasn't for me. This isn't saying it's bad, in fact, it's quite good; it's just not a show in a genre I enjoy, and with how little I actually watched this year, it made it on the list by default if nothing else.

Most avoided:

Cross Ange: Yeah, I got to the end of episode 1, and realized yeah no. If I had made it to episode 3, it would've taken spot 1 easily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Senerio posted:

3) Owarimonogatari: With all the monogatari avs in the chat thread, this got the 3 episode test, but ultimately wasn't for me. This isn't saying it's bad, in fact, it's quite good; it's just not a show in a genre I enjoy, and with how little I actually watched this year, it made it on the list by default if nothing else.

...wait, that sounds like you started with Owari

• Locked thread