Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The only show I watched that I disliked was Charlotte. The premise and main character (initially) were pretty interesting but it wound up being quite boring, repetitive, and bad all around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Senerio posted:

3) Owarimonogatari: With all the monogatari avs in the chat thread, this got the 3 episode test, but ultimately wasn't for me. This isn't saying it's bad, in fact, it's quite good; it's just not a show in a genre I enjoy, and with how little I actually watched this year, it made it on the list by default if nothing else.

I haven't watched any of the monogataris past the first two series, but they kinda follow a non-episodic plot with changing character dynamics, so if you started with this series, that seems like an odd choice. It's like starting Bleach in the Arancar Arc; You miss the best part of the series, won't be able to understand a bunch of plot elements, and will have little reason to care for the bloated cast of characters.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Good Ships:
Eye Patch Horns Ship

That's Tenryuu.

Tenryuu and Takao are the best shipgirls.

The official material for the series sucks, but a lot of the fanstuff is cool.

Kinda like Touhou, though I suppose if you like masochist bullet shooters (or the music), then it's fine.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Julias posted:

I haven't watched any of the monogataris past the first two series, but they kinda follow a non-episodic plot with changing character dynamics, so if you started with this series, that seems like an odd choice. It's like starting Bleach in the Arancar Arc; You miss the best part of the series, won't be able to understand a bunch of plot elements, and will have little reason to care for the bloated cast of characters.

It was my second series, actually. Bakemonogatari also got (and failed) the 3 episode test.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Senerio posted:

It was my second series, actually. Bakemonogatari also got (and failed) the 3 episode test.

I don't... If you didn't like the first season, why would you even try the third season? It's not important I guess but that seems super weird

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Knorth posted:

I don't... If you didn't like the first season, why would you even try the third season? It's not important I guess but that seems super weird

Cause of all the Monogatari buzz here. I wanted to see if I liked it any better after the time.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Senerio posted:

Cause of all the Monogatari buzz here. I wanted to see if I liked it any better after the time.

It's not for everyone. I loved the first series, but quit halfway through the second one because it felt too voyeuristic, especially involving the MC's sisters. Apparently it's the weakest series, but I haven't gotten to any of the other ones because of it.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Yeah, I just felt bad not liking a thing a lot of people liked that I saw a full 6 years ago and wasn't huge on. Wanted to see if my tastes changed enough that I actually liked it now. They didn't. Again, it's more on the list by default than because of any real disdain from me.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Owari is great, but it's kind of a drag because you do need to have some investment in the -monogatari series as a whole. And we're talking about 77 episodes so far, plus 12 more coming along with at least 2 if not 3 movies.

That's a pretty big investment for most people. That's close to the run time of the LoGH main series.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Julias posted:

That's Tenryuu.

Tenryuu and Takao are the best shipgirls.

The official material for the series sucks, but a lot of the fanstuff is cool.

Kinda like Touhou, though I suppose if you like masochist bullet shooters (or the music), then it's fine.

This is kind of the opposite from Touhou, though, since the official material in Touhou isn't creepy, but the official material for Kancolle is, what with the whole "clothing damage on underage-looking girls" thing. Touhou is just a bullet shooter with wacky, outsider-art-looking game art.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

The official stuff for touhou is all great or above average so it's not like Kancolle in that respect at all.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

my bad anime list

1.) Cross Ange: An anim about making GBS threads on a girl named ange. There was not a single episode that went by without something bad happening to her or someone around her, often involving sex.

2.) Charlotte: I like key, I like the things they do. I loved angel beats. This was just so bland that I lost interest after episode 5.

3.) Log Horizon 2: I believe Srice when he says it was accurate to the books, it's just that the pacing in this season was absolutely glacial.

Most avoided:

Yuri bears: I watched the first ep and didn't like it when the bears rape the girl at the end, and liked it even less when I complained about it in the thread and everyone jumped on a bandwagon to tell me how deep and symbolic the rape was. I stopped watching it then.

Hell I don't even think it saved yuri!

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Endorph posted:

yurikuma gently caress this show and everyone who thinks its somehow saved gay people. why didn't we just let the artist lady make a yuri show about 2 30-soemthings making out. why are we acting like the dude who really likes boob mousepads, crossdresses as rei hino, and thinks that male/female romances demand more screentime than lesbian ones is the guy we have to turn to for lesbian representation, just because he made utena. utena wasn't even really about lesbianism, it was about sexual awakening in general. gently caress everyone who likes this show and gently caress every ann writer who thinks it's the hero we deserve. aahhhhh.

if you just liked it for pantyshots tho i dont' care.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Namtab posted:

Most avoided:

Yuri bears: I watched the first ep and didn't like it when the bears rape the girl at the end, and liked it even less when I complained about it in the thread and everyone jumped on a bandwagon to tell me how deep and symbolic the rape was. I stopped watching it then.

Hell I don't even think it saved yuri!

the manga by the character designer contains zero rape btw

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

simbollocks

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Yuri kuma is cross ange with a thread of dilberts claiming it's high art

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I soured on Yurikuma pretty hard pretty fast. My interest started at a reasonable level, and sharply declined as the episodes went on.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Namtab posted:

Yuri kuma is cross ange with a thread of dilberts claiming it's high art
frankly, i'd prefer cross ange because at least it isn't written by a dude trying to save lesbianism, with a literal lesbian sitting right next to him and him completely ignoring her

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I didn't actually watch yurikuma, but through the thread I discovered and read morishima's stuff, so there's that

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Motto posted:

I didn't actually watch yurikuma, but through the thread I discovered and read morishima's stuff, so there's that
morishima is good.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Endorph posted:

morishima is good.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

namtab posted:

The three girls are all naked, two of them are licking the pubic area of the third girl presumably against her wishes.

Please tell me what more this anim needs to do to have the rape not be "symbolic"

quote:

No, they're not. They're licking a magical flower that has grown from there, and which is dripping actual honey, not vaginal mucosa. If you think that's what women's genitals look like, uh, well, good luck having sex.

namtab posted:

Oh I see. Totes legit, def. not creepy or hosed up.

E: How foolish I was to not realise that they were licking her magical flower instead of her vagina. That def isn't at all a metaphor for them licking her vagina.

quote:

That's not what I said. I know you're morally outraged that the guy who wrote a show where pedophilic incest is a critical plot point included hosed-up sexual imagery in his show, but do you have to show it through selective literacy?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Endorph posted:

morishima is good.

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost
yikes!

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

lol

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

vaginal mucosa

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Maybe one day we can just have a show that's about girls kissing girls and boys kissing boys with no horrible stuff in it. :(

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos

[Earnestly] Good luck having sex.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Endorph posted:

vaginal mucosa

honey

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

K. Flaps posted:

[Earnestly] Good luck having sex.

*reads my posting* not gonna happen mate

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Namtab posted:

*reads my posting* not gonna happen mate

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
utena is good, and i'm disappointed that show is bad

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The best part of my lovely Yurikuma thread was when that guy said it was basically Shrek

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

The best part of my lovely Yurikuma thread was when that guy said it was basically Shrek
the best part of my lovely yurikuma thread was that one ann writer getting really mad about adtrw from that point on and never posting here again, because i made fun of the show

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

If there was a meltdown, please post it here, in the pyf adtrw drama megathread

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Endorph posted:

frankly, i'd prefer cross ange because at least it isn't written by a dude trying to save lesbianism, with a literal lesbian sitting right next to him and him completely ignoring her

Where did you get the idea he was completely ignoring her? All the interviews I saw said that Morishima had a fair amount of input into the show, even if she was also doing her own version of the story in the manga. Making the Court male, for instance, was reportedly her idea, as were most of the characters' personalities (which Ikuhara basically asked her to build from scratch), and she and several other staff members reportedly A-OK'd the fanservicey bits because he wasn't sure about them. Ikuhara's a weird dude, but he does seem to have been listening to actual lesbian voices on this one.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Source: some dude's twitter, reposted on crunchyroll

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

:wow:

Also yea forgot to add Sailor Moon: Crystal to my list, just because I knew it'd kick the crap out of my nostalgic memories doesn't mean it also wasn't insanely disappointing and bad.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Namtab posted:

Source: some dude's twitter, reposted on crunchyroll

Right, and the source for what Endorph's saying is...?

As Western anime fans who (mostly) can't speak Japanese, most of our information on behind-the-scenes stuff is second-hand through unofficial sources like blog-posts, fan websites, and Twitter. It can be interesting, but you have to take it with a grain of salt, and getting super angry about a badly-translated paragraph of an interview that may or may not have happened is rarely smart, whether you're talking about Ikuhara's works and their feminist credentials or Yoshiyuki Tomino's opinions on the latest Gundam show.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Dec 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

idk but I trust my friend endorph

• Locked thread