Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Has anyone else played this game yet, or maybe been interested in it. It's yet another oldschool isometric RPG like Age of Decadence or Fallout. It's an actual 2D game so it's much more like Fallout or the new Shadowrun games. Graphically it's pretty decent. Higher resolution than fallout but still not super detailed or anything.

It's a post-apocalyptic game where all (known) survivors are living in this huge metro system/cave system called Underrail. It has psionics and personal force fields and cyborgs and mutant insects and poo poo. I beat the first quest so far which had a bunch of alternate routes and secrets to explore and stuff so if the rest of the game is even half as decent as the first area then it's a good rear end game. IDK how long it is or if there's even a main quest yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

That's metro 2033 dude

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

That's metro 2033 dude

It reminds me of this yeah. But I shoot fireballs with my mind and can shatter people's mind so they fall into a coma. And there's sci-fi personal force fields.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

You mean Undertale? Awesome RPG. Really turns morality systems on their head and has probably the most charming sense of humor since, hell, Earthbound probably (Mother in Japan. OMG.. TFW you realize that Undertale starts off with a "mother" figure character. Ooo, this game is so GOOD! Mmmmm!)

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Larry Parrish posted:

It reminds me of this yeah. But I shoot fireballs with my mind and can shatter people's mind so they fall into a coma. And there's sci-fi personal force fields.

this sounds like EYE

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Bobnumerotres posted:

this sounds like EYE

that game owned, i wonder what developers are up to now (like are they alive still etc)

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

fozzy fosbourne posted:

that game owned, i wonder what developers are up to now (like are they alive still etc)

They are making a warhammer 40k game which is gay

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wormskull posted:

You mean Undertale? Awesome RPG. Really turns morality systems on their head and has probably the most charming sense of humor since, hell, Earthbound probably (Mother in Japan. OMG.. TFW you realize that Undertale starts off with a "mother" figure character. Ooo, this game is so GOOD! Mmmmm!)

Please do not troll my threads. Please and thank you.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Underfail.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Chunderfail

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Wormskull posted:

this game was in early access for like 2 years i cant imagine how much it sucked to almsot be finished and see a different indie game with a very close name come out and be a smash hit lol

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Tsunderefail

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Larry Parrish posted:

Has anyone else played this game yet, or maybe been interested in it. It's yet another oldschool isometric RPG like Age of Decadence or Fallout. It's an actual 2D game so it's much more like Fallout or the new Shadowrun games. Graphically it's pretty decent. Higher resolution than fallout but still not super detailed or anything.

It's a post-apocalyptic game where all (known) survivors are living in this huge metro system/cave system called Underrail. It has psionics and personal force fields and cyborgs and mutant insects and poo poo. I beat the first quest so far which had a bunch of alternate routes and secrets to explore and stuff so if the rest of the game is even half as decent as the first area then it's a good rear end game. IDK how long it is or if there's even a main quest yet.

This actually sounds fairly based.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

elf help book posted:

this game was in early access for like 2 years i cant imagine how much it sucked to almsot be finished and see a different indie game with a very close name come out and be a smash hit lol

lol

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Underwear

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

:jeb:

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Hypogean Underfaol

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My psionic powers were absoluetly destroying mutant insects and human raider guys but it's almost worthless against sentry bots so I have to rely on my stealth a bunch except I don't have good enough aim with guns to shoot out the cameras right away. Oh dear. It will take a while to stealth this level... The sentry bots also stun me & since i'm a squishy wizard basically its real deadly. If I was a strong puncher guy or something it'd be much easier. Or if I was a lockpicker/hacker I could just sneak through the vents and never get in combat except with the occasional vent rat

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Larry Parrish posted:

My psionic powers were absoluetly destroying mutant insects and human raider guys but it's almost worthless against sentry bots so I have to rely on my stealth a bunch except I don't have good enough aim with guns to shoot out the cameras right away. Oh dear. It will take a while to stealth this level... The sentry bots also stun me & since i'm a squishy wizard basically its real deadly. If I was a strong puncher guy or something it'd be much easier.

this post but in the new hiking forum

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

elf help book posted:

this post but in the new hiking forum

lol

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

elf help book posted:

If you read the latest dev update it was a game made by one guy over the course of 7 years, which has to be even more crushing

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

this game soubds cool im going to add it to my wishlist. merry christmas op

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Thanks for telling us that the game is good, OP. I saw it on Steam but was worried it'd be one if those bootleg TRPGs that aren't very fun to play.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i'm taking a break and playing through my back catalog, but i'll keep on eye on this for sales. what's the combat system like, op?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

sector_corrector posted:

i'm taking a break and playing through my back catalog, but i'll keep on eye on this for sales. what's the combat system like, op?

Exactly like most other old-school Western RPGs... You wander around in real time, but you can hit a button to freeze the game with you at the start of a turn, like you can do in Fallout. Or you can click an action that would start combat and wait for it to finish so you don't use action points, but the enemy can detect you and start combat before you finish OFC. It's possible to escape encounters by hiding in a nook or something and activating stealth and staying out of sight for a few turns.

I don't really know how exciting melee or regular ranged combat is, but I did find a shock-knife that drains batteries to deal area of effect electrical attacks that can stun people. The weapon mods seem to be p crazy. I'm playing a psionic though. Right now I can deal electrical damage, mechanical (physical), or cold damage single target, or shoot a fairly inaccurate fireball that's an AoE that also explodes explosive barrels and stuff. Also I can make a forcefield that's impenetrable to give me a chance to heal up or isolate an enemy to pick off the others or whatever... I'm really early on but there's a lot of options.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

elf help book posted:

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Larry Parrish posted:

Could be cool...

zidane13
Jan 2, 2005

by Smythe

Pewdiepie posted:

Could be cool...

Then again, it could totally suck.

Hibbloes
Jun 9, 2007
Yo

Been excited for this for awhile, never was in the right mind to buy it straight out though. How's the exploration? I had heard the focus was on combat and enviroments, and Im not too ashamed to say I really wanna see if they (he i guess?) do a good job giving you that feeling of "what could be hiding in here" or "what caused this massacre/meltdown/mutant party time". And do ya think the 7% off is good to jump in now for?

Retarded_Clown_
Feb 18, 2012

Wormskull posted:

Retarded_Clown_
Feb 18, 2012

This is the earthbound style game wth the cute spoopy skeletons right? Oh I LOVE that game!

White Phosphorus
Sep 12, 2000

I'm loving it so far. Imagine a fallout meets system shock style game with a much better combat system, crafting, actual build diversity, and a well developed stealth system. The only problem is the slow rear end walking speed, and a total lack of any sort of in game map what so ever. No mini-map, no world map, gently caress you player.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There's no world map but people give pretty detailed directions to get there. I wish the Notes section tracked that though. Also the exploration is cool; the default XP system mostly revolves around looking in nooks and crannies for the majority of it, so it's important to be thorough and look in everything and every map. You can turn on a default Fallout style xp system where you get xp for kills, quests, and skill checks though.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Larry Parrish posted:

There's no world map but people give pretty detailed directions to get there. I wish the Notes section tracked that though. Also the exploration is cool; the default XP system mostly revolves around looking in nooks and crannies for the majority of it, so it's important to be thorough and look in everything and every map.

Yuck.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Its optional

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Is it important and the majority of it, or is it optional.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

Larry Parrish posted:

There's no world map but people give pretty detailed directions to get there. I wish the Notes section tracked that though. Also the exploration is cool; the default XP system mostly revolves around looking in nooks and crannies for the majority of it, so it's important to be thorough and look in everything and every map. You can turn on a default Fallout style xp system where you get xp for kills, quests, and skill checks though.

Just keep a pencil and paper by the computer to draw your own map as you go along.

White Phosphorus
Sep 12, 2000

WTF do you mean "Yuck". That's what System Shock 2 used and it was great.

When you start the game you get the option to play traditional or the oddity system. The designer intended the game to be played using the oddity system. People who tried both claim that the oddity is better than the traditional XP system. I'm using the oddity system and have no complaints, it gives a very nice progression. Enemies drop oddities too if that's what you are wondering.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Oddity doesn't make any sense to me, someone who didn't play the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wormskull posted:

Is it important and the majority of it, or is it optional.

hell, the whole game is optional

• Locked thread