Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Grammar Aryan
Apr 22, 2008

Torrent posted:

My favorite part about that Incap quirk is that, as a no-damage attack, the attacker doesn't get hurt if they crit miss. But if they're Incapping someone who already has two tokens, that makes it a damaging attack, and they DO get hurt by a crit miss. Rules are fun!

Do you have a ruling link on that? Incap is still an attack that deals no damage, it's just that Incap has a special rules rider that deals 1 penetrating to hit targets with two tokens. The only reason that that triggers Mystics, etc., is that it's damage dealt by a character during an attack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Grammar Aryan
Apr 22, 2008
Morand has the right of it; you can bring whatever you want in the van, but you're limited in what you can use by how much you pay for the Weapons dial. If you pay 5 points, you get to drop 10 points worth of equipment throughout the match. Want to drop that BFG? That'll be 7 points, thanks, but now you definitely can't use that Flamethrower you also picked.

It's a neat mechanic, because it provides a lot of situational use where you can use a few small things, or a bunch of big things. The weapons also interact in fun ways if someone can use Energy Explosion. Take the Punisher from Deadpool. If you give him the Sniper Rifle, he can do a Range 10, 2 damage attack with Precision Strike that can trigger his EE, so it deals Penetrating and splashes out 2 damage. The van's way more interesting than I'd initially given it credit for.

The Grammar Aryan
Apr 22, 2008
Looks like somebody revealed the Defenders monthly OP kit, featuring Moon Knight, Shang-Chi, and Shroud!

A pretty decent showing all around, but I'm really liking that Shang-Chi. Yes, yes, let's just make a ton of attacks for 1 damage each with Precision Strike, or switch to a pain in the rear end defensive mode.

The Grammar Aryan
Apr 22, 2008
One of the places I play at ran a 400-point "all characters under 100 points" game recently. I think the judge is trying to get a newer player to stop playing hard cheese, because each build has been specifically engineered to make the team the guy played the previous week not legal. I think it's just going to run players off, but whatever.

I ran a Soldier themed team of...

CW Prize Punisher
CW Prize Cap
Rocket Raccoon from Galactic Guardians
Union Jack prime
Punisher Van at 75 with a 10-point Weapons Dial with Rocket Launcher, Flamethrower, Surveillance Device, Chaingun, and some other stuff.

The Punisher Van is great! None of the teams I faced were incredibly aggressive, so I could pump out weapons on turns 1 and 2, possibly 3 with Cap's Leadership, and slowly carry creep up. Highlights included:

Cap Sidestepping next to Union Jack, who had a Surveillance Device, and then using a flamethrower to set two Batmen and Ace the Bathound on fire. They all promptly died at the start of the next turn because of the fire tokens. Batmen then surrounded the van and wailed on it until it exploded on them for 3 damage apiece, popping Punisher out to be murdered. I lost, but I set a dog on fire.

Union Jack using a Rocket Launcher to explode a Living Mummy, dealing 1 penetrating splash to surrounding Werewolves with hammers from the Book of the Skull, then blowing them up again with the Rocket Launcher's secondary explosion. Punisher then popped out and threw a molotov at another group of werewolves, setting one on fire and killing two more.

Rocket blowing away blocking terrain to allow Union Jack to, once again, fire from outside of his normal range, surprising my opponent, and then crippling half his team with the splash.

I'm super impressed with the versatility my team received from the different bits and bobs from the Van. I got a ton of versatility and got to surprise my opponent when they thought they were safely out of range. Coupled with bypassing the standard vehicle exploding rules, it's definitely going into the "I need to play with this more" box.

The Grammar Aryan
Apr 22, 2008

CapnAndy posted:

Calling in Nick Fury is dumb and non-thematic and lame, I'd leave the points empty but if you have to do one, do the Torso.

It's Winter Soldier, though, not Nick.

Still, I'd prefer the Torso, just for survivability's sake, and for simplicity of play. Splinter hops in the van, carries people, drops Casey on the Torso, Casey gets the Torso, bam, done, focus on Turtle Fight. I fully admit to being biased, though, since I'm generally build lean, role-wise, so it's generally a pretty serious sacrifice to perform a call-in when I could be doing something else.

The Grammar Aryan
Apr 22, 2008
I don't think the Omega Drive would work with April.

Omega Drive posted:

When this character uses Outwit, it may target any character within its range regardless of line of fire, and may use its Outwit to counter powers that can't normally be countered.

Since it states that she gets better use out of Outwit against characters within her range, not within Outwit's native range, I don't think she gets the bennies unless you do something to bump or replace her range.

Still, if you find yourself wanting to use ID cards, that frees you up to have a second card for a conditional call-in. If you want to Stealth-bust, you could certainly add an Iron Man card to your roster to make use of the IT: Hindering for April. Either of the Civil War Movie ones are cheap enough to call in, and because of the bonkers ruling that power actions at the start of the turn don't break beginning of turn, you can make use of either one's Leadership, both of which can be really useful. The gravity feed set lets you dump Attack and Defense by one, and the starter lets you token someone within range and LOF.

The Grammar Aryan
Apr 22, 2008
Do you have any Mouser Swarms? They're hilariously effective, but they're also three times the cost of a standard Foot Soldier. Other than that, though, yeah, the Rare Shredder is so much better than the Con piece, so I'd definitely go Team 2. Unless you suicide the Con Shredder, you're not really going to get much use out of his trait.

The Grammar Aryan
Apr 22, 2008
Played in a SFOSM sealed event tonight. I wound up running a team of:

Devil Dinosaur
Anaconda
Vulture
Green Goblin
Mary Jane

The idea being that Anaconda ties people up, Devil Dinosaur pops out Rockabilly MODOKs, and Goblin and Mary provide support. Vulture taxis and does close work.

Round 1 against a newer guy:

Cloak
Dagger
Sandman
NYPD Officer
J. Jonah Jamison
Shocker

I went to the Neighborhood, thinking all of the elevated would help. In reality, it just main positioning a pain and limited Anaconda's tie-up capability. I set Vulture, MJ, and Goblin up mid-map, giving Vulture an 8 swing. Anaconda phases into an alley. Devil Dino lumbers. His Cloak carries Dagger four spaces into some hindering for some reason, and spends three turns slowly parking his booted figures in hindering. Rockabilly MODOKs pop out, then swarm from the rooftops with Enhancement support from the Goblin. Anaconda phases in and ties up his entire team, turning it into a shooting gallery. I only wind up losing Anaconda, as he can't keep up with the damage output of no-cost characters that I don't care about pushing to death.

Round 2 against:

Morlun
Overdrive
Betty Brant
Scorpion

He wins map, and we go to the bank. Overdrive turns a newspaper box into a car, and dances Betty around. My team lumbers up midfield. He pushes Betty to Perplex, then carries his team to a side room. Anaconda phases to the middle of the map, tying down his Morlun. Devil Dino manages to lumber up far enough to pop Betty and take her out. Vulture charges in on Scorpion and whiffs, then gets a retaliatory strike of 5 damage because of Empower from Morlun and the vehicle. Goblin, with Perplex support to damage, wings Scorpion, and Vulture finishes him off. Overdrive's vehicle carries Morlun up next to Anaconda and MJ. MJ breaks, and Goblin pushes to pop the vehicle. Anaconda phases away and punches Overdrive, keeping Morlun locked down. Morlun fails a break, then Devil Dino pops out the MODOK squad, who makes use of Enhancement from Goblin to send him down to his mid clicks. He popped around next to Devil Dino, and tried to hit the Goblin, who just masterminded damage onto a MODOK. The last of the MODOKs pushed to death to put Morlun onto his Regen clicks, and Devil Dino punched him to death.

Round 3 against:

Mephisto at his cheap dial
Common Spider-Man
Ares at his cheap dial
Power Man and Iron Fist

He won map, and we went to the bank. I positioned the same as before, and he marched Ares and Spider-Man into the offices. Mephisto and PM&IF Sidestepped up. Anaconda moved up to the center of the board, blocking the offices, and MJ and Goblin bumped her Defense up. The duo switched to Iron Fist's dial, Sidestepped up, then Mephisto bumped Anaconda next to them, and was promptly exploited onto her Poison clicks. A click of Poison later, and Vulture swooped in to finish them off with a 4 blades. Spider-Man finished Vulture off, and then the MODOKs came out. One popped Mephisto, KOing him and getting Mystics'd out of existence. Anaconda smacked Spidey for 3, and Goblin finished him off. After that, Anaconda locked Ares down, and the MODOK squad ended it.

MVP of this event was Anaconda, hands-down. Sidestep plus her phasing plus her traited lockdown means that you can pretty effectively neutralize any pieces that lack range. Devil Dinosaur also wins for being able to provide swarms of minions that are both effective and disposable.

Also, is anyone looking for a Kraven Prime? I only need to get a Spider-Man Noir to finish out the pieces I care about.

The Grammar Aryan
Apr 22, 2008

Red posted:

At first, I was irritated by the sketches, but now, they're this weird thing that I haven't formed a real opinion on. I might play an all sketch team at some point, but I don't know what to do with them.

Personally, I don't care too much (outside of the Hydro-Man, because you lose the awesome translucent blue bits), because they play the same either way, they just look wonky. Some of them even look pretty good, like Vulture, where all the detail really lets the wash sink in and make them pop. Some of them even look better, in my opinion, like Mephisto. The standard is very flat, despite having a lot of detail, but the sketch really comes out nicely...apart from his horrific neck seam.

I really wish they'd selected a few of the higher-detail figures to do the sketch bits with, though, because some of them just look awful. Mr. Hyde just looks dirty, since his model lacks the details for the wash to grab on to.

The Grammar Aryan
Apr 22, 2008

thebardyspoon posted:

Anybody else got a bunch of Stilt Men pieces that can't connect up? Bought 3 along with the rest of the set and none of the leg pieces attach to the base at all, they have little patterns that seem to make it like only one way fits but every single one is off slightly so none of them fit together.

Yeah, they're keyed for some reason, though I have no idea why. Paint can either get onto the pegs or into the slots, and it can cause serious issues because of how fine the tolerance is on it relative to paint thickness. Same issue with the wash getting into the slots on the sketch variant. I had a few that were super gummy and I had to take a small round file to the slot to clean it out, but I expect if you're careful a thumbtack or needle file could work, too.

Now if only there were a way to solve the problem of a 22-high Stilt-Man slowly falling over.

The Grammar Aryan
Apr 22, 2008

Red posted:

What are everyone's thoughts on 049 Spider-Man?

I like it, but it's still not THE Spidey dial I think we should have.

He's really good (especially for 100 points), but he also looks easy to KO. I don't expect him to have reducers, but still - the guy should be annoyingly hard to hit.

He's done very well for me when I've played him, even when he's crit missed on his opening swing. Being able to get a 12/6 swing on a tentpole on turn 2 is huge with newer figures, and he gets absolutely neutered by Plasticity, but maintains his usefulness after taking a hit. The webbing also helps if you don't smear someone immediately off the board. I can't complain much- he definitely feels like a Spider-man, what with the glass jaw and all, and it's probably one of my favorites.

The Grammar Aryan
Apr 22, 2008

Morand posted:

Then it's now 2 points over. Didn't realize they had the keyword too. drat. Can't do the crew without their ATA, I'm kinda dependent on hiding behind walls and drilling through hindering

Edit: I can replace Moonstone with CW Songbird. Now it's legal

Is there a clean way for you to drop enough points to put the AoU Crimson Cowl Ultron on that team? Being able to use his Leadership to pull MoE characters from 8 squares away is huge.

The Grammar Aryan
Apr 22, 2008

Mikemo Tyson posted:

Hello friends! I'm looking at getting in to HeroClix along with my 6 year-old son. This was spurred on by him finding my old Mage Knight figures and being intrigued by them along with seeing HeroClix at the local comic book shop. So I'm here at 5 in the morning with some questions!

1) I've read the getting started article on the HeroClix website and it says to start with a starter pack. When I check their listed products it doesn't show any Marvel starter packs. Is there a suggested starter pack that I should purchase? My son really digs Spider-man and the X-men. He's not a big fan of DC so I'd probably stay away from that.

2) Am I going to be shafted on playing in tournaments due to starting my collection so late?

3) I'm not going to have to break the bank ala Warhammer 40k to get a nice collection for the two of us am I?

4) What are some other essentials that I should purchase to go with the game?

I'll dumb the rules down while teaching my son how everything works, he likes playing games and picks up pretty well on tabletop concepts. We have our own Lego minifigs game that kinda works like MageKnight/HeroClix so I'm confident he'll do okay playing. Thanks in advance for any input!

1: You can pick up a Captain America: Winter Soldier starter off of Amazon, probably, which will include a rulebook and PAC, but they're getting updated in a few months, when new starters come out. You can also pick up a Fast Forces pack to get started, and they're actually pretty decent these days. There are going to be two Fast Force packs for the most recent Deadpool set- one X-Force, and one Mercs for Money. They're both pretty good.

2: It really depends on the venue. There are places where people play casually and having a limited selection won't be too bad, but then there are places where people play like it's Worlds all day every day. You can probably get some CUR runs of recent sets for a reasonable price on eBay or the hcrealms sell thread.

3: Only if you really want to. A friend of mine gets by perfectly fine buying a single brick (~125), playing in sealed events, and piecemeal buying anything he really wants that he's missing. It's definitely nowhere near Warhams.

4: You want maps. They used to pack maps in with Fast Forces and Starters, but they stopped that a while ago, so it's harder to get them. You can buy some of the folded paper maps off of eBay or Amazon, probably, but WizKids has also released some nice neoprene maps. The WizKids Office and Factory are really good, but they're obviously more expensive. You'll also want something to store these things in. Various friends use tackle boxes or wargame cases. I use a combination of shoeboxes and plastic storage drawers.

The Grammar Aryan
Apr 22, 2008

CapnAndy posted:

They've already previewed Shadowlands Daredevil and he's definitely a chase. Figuring out any sort of coherent theme that unites first appearance Ironheart and Shadowlands Daredevil is left as an exercise for the reader, because I sure as hell can't think of one.

The chase theme in this one is "different versions of characters," much like the chase theme from Avengers Assemble. AKA, "God, I don't know, nobody cares about this set anyway."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Grammar Aryan
Apr 22, 2008

Sanschel posted:

Out of curiosity, what are y'all's stores doing for the colossal op events? I went with constructed modern Marvel then DC for the first two and I want the Merc Jet and Titano to have more creative stips, but I'm coming up dry on ideas.

My local stores have been running Battle Royales, though there's the occasional two-booster sealed event. It's been "whatever booster you want off the wall," though, and the judge has already picked through most of them, so not a ton of interesting stuff.

I did draft the Uncommon Thor from What If, though, and he ran roughshod across the board, KOing something like 9 figures on his own while everyone struggled to hit his 17 Defense.

• Locked thread