Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

Red posted:

From the 2014 rulebook:

So I can or can't Sidestep after clearing? Or during clearing. Or something.

See, the "end of turn" part of your turn is still prior to clearing. See the following, from the 2014 Rulebook, page 8 (emphasis added).

quote:

CLEARING ACTION TOKENS
At the end of your turn, after you have finished taking and resolving all of your actions (including free actions that occur “at the end of your turn”) and declared your turn to be over, remove all action tokens from each of the characters on your force that did not receive an action token this turn. This is called “clearing” your action tokens.
You have to Sidestep/Outwit/Perplex/whatever before clearing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

A) The STOP. wording really illustrates their need to come out with updated rules. How exactly are we supposed to read that? Can it be ignored?

B) I've already put in a question as to the "maximum damage taken" trait. Is it a reduction? Is everything above 1 being ignored? Does the character take 1 instead of a higher amount? These are important distinctions.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Fuckity ding dong, WizKids. Two years without a proper revised rulebook, especially when you're making changes like equipped items and the size changes? :drat:

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

The Grammar Aryan posted:

But why would you need a printed rulebook when you can go to the rules forums and search for people who already asked your question, and failing that, ask your own question which will likely be denied with no explanation?

Hey, speaking of which, am I crazy in a heretofore unrecognized manner or does it appear that WK prunes the Rules Questions forum? I could swear I've asked a question about whether either Starro or Anti-Monitor (I can't remember which) can still act every turn without taking pushing damage but I can't find the thread. I searched for my username and only found four posts while I know I've made more. Of all the kinds of forum to prune threads from, this is exactly the kind where they shouldn't, yet of course they do. :allears:

Edit: Thread dates only go back to 01/02/2015. That's after their exodus from HCR, correct?

ManiacClown fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Mar 25, 2016

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

They definitely do prune and merge threads whenever they feel like and without warning. A friend of mine had a question on something that was clarified, and it had its own post for a while, but then it was merged into a more general post. It's really nice when you try to link out to a ruling post and it's been moved so the threadid doesn't exist any more.

I'm seriously considering starting a ruling archive. I'd PDF each thread at its apparent conclusion, or maybe even each time they post in it.

Also, I'm considering starting a collaborative project to make an expanded rulebook using official text with community commentary added in because holy poo poo, the rules are turning into a loving shitfest what with not being able to use them to teach anyone.

ManiacClown fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Mar 25, 2016

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

:siren: NEW STRIP :siren:

I mean, :siren: NEW ARTICLE :siren:

Judging by the wording in this, it looks like the term "tactics" may be replaced with the term "add-on effect" when they come out with the new rulebook :doom: next year :doom:. Yeah, that "next year" bullshit's cemented it. I'm going to make an annotated, expanded rulebook, using all of the existing official text and supplementing it with as much material as my brain can handle. Anyone up to collaborate?

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

CapnAndy posted:

I'm a genuinely demented soul who enjoys editing. I will read your dreck and make it not dreck.

Oh-ho, another of my ilk!

CHALLENGE ACCEPTANCE ACCEPTED

Who else shall join our merry band of misery? :black101:

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Killer.

Can anyone identify the rulebook's font?

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

They're using the Helvetica Neue LT Std family of fonts.

Table of Contents: Helvetica Neue LT Std Thin
H1: Helvetica Neue LT Std Blk
H2: Helvetica Neue LT Std, with Bold styling
Body: Helvetica Neue LT Std

The Neue family is licensed, I think, so you're not going to find it in a standard word processing or desktop publishing application. Fun fact: I'm pretty sure this means they're using Adobe InDesign to create their documentation. I can only guess as to how horrible their source files must look, and explains the font error on the Black Lantern Anti-Monitor's dial.

Well, drat. I could probably, you know, find it just lying around somewhere, but I'd rather operate above-board with this. Suggestions on a close substitute?

For those interested, what do you figure is the best way to facilitate the discussion? Facebook group? For file collaboration, Google Drive? Dropbox? I have both.

Edit: Oh, and those callouts they'll do where they label something, like how it shows you what every part of a character's dial is? Rather than making all the text part of the image they use, they just did that with all the non-text part of it and seemingly made separate text boxes for each item because they all dump out separately into the document.

ManiacClown fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Mar 26, 2016

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Torrent posted:

Last I'd heard, they had 16 employees, which sounds high to me. A couple years ago, they were operating with 6 paid people and a heck of a lot of volunteers.

Well, they are expanding beyond just HeroClix. Dice Masters has a lot going for it, apparently, plus they're making regular board games now too. It'd be nice, though, if they'd throw at least one or two more people's worth of manpower at the game that made them what they are and is probably still their flagship property.

Because the annotated rulebook folder won't sync to my Google Drive for some reason, here's the folder as it currently stands in my Dropbox. Anyone who wants an invite to the folder so we can work out of it, shoot me your Dropbox address. I've formatted the entire rulebook save for the Line of Fire chart and the list of generic keywords, each of which will need an annotation by themselves. Anybody want to tackle the LOF chart? I need sleep.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

I've downloaded Archivo and it looks good for the table. I haven't applied it to the other document parts yet. Here's the link. Anyone with the link can edit. For now, though, I'm trying to think if we should do endnotes within each section's file for annotations and commentary or have a separate file for each section. Thoughts on that?

Edit: I'm changing the fonts now. That looks FAR better. drat, do I hate Arial.

ManiacClown fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Mar 26, 2016

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

I've closed all the files, so if someone wants to work on anything while I'm at work tomorrow, I could dig that. Somehow the formatting I did on about the last third of Part 2 disappeared, so that needs to be redone. However, I do think we should probably just do it all in whatever DTP program anyway. I've whipped up quick-and-dirty introductory section in Publisher for a rough idea, but I'm up for whatever format.

Edit: Part 2 fixed.

ManiacClown fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Mar 27, 2016

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Dipping my toe back into Clix when I find out there's a Spidey villain set coming soon :allears:

Does anyone know a rough estimate of when that set is coming?

1) Hang three calendars up, one in front of another.

2) Throw a dart at them.

3) How far did the dart penetrate and what week did it land on? That Friday is your release date.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Right, so what sort of things do we need to include in the annotations? We should definitely include rules that have changed (like Size and a reworked LOF chart), but I think we should also include important rulings that when a newbie gets to a tournament someone's going to drop it on them and they'll be all :stare:.

Edit: Check the folder. I've laid out (fairly roughly, but at least that way it can't reasonably be confused for the real thing) the introduction and through the end of the official text of Part 2: the Core Rules.

ManiacClown fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Mar 28, 2016

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

I've started on annotating the rules, inserting sections between the parts of official text. I'm somewhat at a loss for how to get our parts to look distinct yet good. Have a look at the PDF in this folder and please, please give some suggestions. I'm working in Publisher, so if you've got something else besides its stock crap to use as a border, great!

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

What size are the battle royale maps (both square dimensions and measurements) from the Ant-Man Micro Tournam-ant? I don't have one to check.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

I'd suggest putting either endnotes or inline links to the relevant annotation section if you want to have them all in one place. That way players can know that this is how something works, then have an immediate link out to any relevant errata or clarifications. Do you think it would break things up too much if you had differently styled sidebars for annotations? I could see it working pretty well that way.

Now I'm tempted to convert a few things over to DITA and build a PDF transform plugin. With all the cross-linking, it's actually not a bad candidate for conversion to XML.

That's actually really good thinking on both fronts. I won't have time this morning, but apparently you can insert internal links in Publisher (I knew you could do it in Word) and those should translate to the PDF.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Torrent posted:

There are two official battle royale maps so far. One is indoors, with a ton of walls and a lot of water - just a nightmare for ranged characters and those who cannot ignore hindering for movement. The other is outdoor, and is pretty fun and balanced unless there's a character with IT: Elevated, in which case it becomes a shooting gallery with no real way to retaliate. We use them for conventions, and the venues that got the Ant-Man micro tournament last year also got sent some.

The upcoming Civil War OP series is going to come with something like four more battle royale maps.

Pretty sure that the vinyl maps are going to be standard size.

Do you know the dimensions on the BR maps?

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Torrent posted:

16x16 squares, with 3x3 starting areas.

Good, thank you. Here's what I've got so far. I haven't added any bookmarks in/hyperlinks to Part 2A, but those will come after I've finished that section.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Tonight was 2,000 points Golden Age, no tactics. Every character on your force had to begin as a giant, colossal, or team base. I went full rear end in a top hat and brought my as-yet-unused Spectre and Shuma-Gorath at 200. Simply put, I brought Red Hulk home. One guy got Spectre down to the Jim Corrigan dial, but that was because he chose an indoor map with lots of walls. My third opponent ran Shuma at full, Exodia at full, and Avengers TB with Iron Man, Black Panther, Spider-Man, Daredevil, and Scarlet Witch. Ignoring Mystics plus 9-damage Psychic Blast (and then Exploit Weakness) took Shuma down very easily. The laundry list of stuff he ignores coupled with top-dial 21 Impervious, 15 attack, 9 damage, and 16/// range still makes him an amazing "gently caress you" piece even in the face of modern pieces. My only worry was Dark Phoenix Cyclops in the second round because of his special multiattack, but hitting him (teammates: Solaris and Greithoth) down to where his chance of hitting was minimal got me by there. I don't think the guy did more than 3. The highlight of that one was Spectre critting Solaris, him Probbing it, and me re-critting. Later on the poor guy rolled snake eyes. drat.

Also, dig the progress on the AR. It's coming along nicely, even if I'm just trying to structure it with the kind of info it should have and how to present it.

Edit: Oh, and in the second match I took a picture of Shuma with Solaris and sent it to my wife to show our daughter. Her response: "Aww, the little red thing is adorable!" Can we keep it as a pet? Gah! The creepy starfish thing is ruining it." In honor of the night and that, I bought the store's remaining SMWW super booster, trying to get Solaris. I got The Atom.

ManiacClown fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Apr 3, 2016

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Sorry for the triple post, but could I impress upon one of you to make a vector of a question mark in a set of crosshairs or maybe something else signifying information assassination? I'm trying to get something I can use for rulings where they've pruned the thread, like how you can't give a character a ranged combat action if it can't make a ranged combat attack (reversing the old ruling on Pulse Wave vs. granted Battle Fury) or old-school colossals like Spectre and Starro being able to act continuously without damage. The one I've made kind of sucks.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

They're previewed Omega Red, who I thought would show up in the next X-Men set after having been absent from the last two. For a 90-point character he's drat nice top-dial, with Giant Reach: 3 and Exploit Weakness giving him what amounts to an almost full-speed Charge. That helps his vampire dial spin up, plus his Deadly Coils trait lets him reel in whoever he hits and "place the hit character adjacent." I presume that means adjacent to him. I'm surprised he doesn't have any keywords other than Weapon X, but I don't think they ever really did much with him anyway.

We've also got a previewed Nightcrawler. I think he's outstanding for 60 points, with an 18/Super Senses along with a 12 Speed and traited Phasing and Carry. I'm very pleased that it's swashbuckling Nightcrawler and they actually gave him the Pirate keyword!

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Cheap paper? Missing subsequent revisions? I'm shocked, I tell you. Shocked. :pram:

As for how it'll affect the AR: eh. I'll incorporate its revisions. I'm sure they haven't changed much, considering they said they weren't even publishing a new one this year. They probably threw it together hastily, figuring they can't go two full years without rulebook revisions.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Krang's up! He's similar to Metallo but can also choose [WING] for his Attack power and he gets Prob. In addition to Krang they put up the Watch List for Q1, for which there are no additions. I'd actually agree with that, considering that I'm really not aware of anything that's really see-it-on-every-team game-breaking.

I will mention one thing I have noticed after looking in the HCR thread for the Civil War dials. Every character seems to be missing a listed Real Name. Between that and the fact that they don't seem to be putting the Split/Merge matrix on cards anymore, does anyone else think they're going to axe the Split and Merge abilities as of the 2017 PAC like how they discontinued Archenemies the year after the carded era hit?

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Morand posted:

I think the lack of split merge matrix and the WIN forums specifically ruling that you need that matrix to split or merge is the biggest death knell of split and merge more then a movie figure not having a real name.

Yeah, there's definitely that too. My guess as to them killing it off is the death of the Player's Guide to maintain a record of that and space on the character cards coming at more of a premium these days, especially with the new design :barf: coming.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

It figures. I managed to get all three Suicide Squad OP kit figures from a guy on Reddit for $5 plus shipping. I left them out on our living room table while we went to replace a dead goldfish and while we were out our dog ate Captain Boomerang. His dial will still fit in and it'll turn, but the Speed value on his second-to-last click is unreadable thanks to being bitten directly on. gently caress.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

I'm so very, very close to being done with the Annotated Rulebook (see here for up-to-date progress) save for finding and linking to support for assertions I make and proofreading. Could I please have anyone interested look the document over and let me know things it still needs? I'm going to add a section to the end on elements that should be in the rulebook but aren't specifically to cover team bases and vehicles. I think I've even figured out why team bases and vehicles aren't in the 2014 Core Rulebook despite predating it: color. Their rules include Improved Movement, which requires color to list and the rulebook isn't in color.

I also think that to annotate the glossary I should list some informal terminology, like "taxi, "feedback," "Highlander," the various short forms of the powers ("TK," "Prob," "Exploit" etc.), and probably some terms for certain tactics like "yo-yo." I should also add terms they've defined that aren't in there. I would definitely appreciate any help coming up with these terms and definitions for them.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

:siren: I have reached Release Candidate 1! :siren:

This is an early RC (admittedly, more like RC 3/4) because I still need to add the internal hyperlinks and find a way to create bookmarks in a Publisher-saved PDF, but other than that I think the content's ready to go. Could I please get everyone's help proofreading this thing and figuring out anything I've missed including other than the Size Chart, which will probably be the last thing I tack on because it's rotated?

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

I've decided that since you apparently can't (easily) output PDF bookmarks in Publisher when you save as PDF the way Word does with Heading tags, I should just go ahead and start on the DITA version of the now-retitled Expanded Rulebook.

Grammar Aryan (or anyone else familiar with DITA), please look at the Introduction I've done to get a feel for DITA XML and let me know if I'm on the right track with it for multi-format output.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Sure thing! I've been looking for an excuse to migrate my oXygen 17 license across to my home office rig. Just taking a quick look, you'll probably want to turn your <h1> tags into <section> tags, and then put the content of it into a <title> element. We can break the book title element out, since we'll definitely want to organize this inside a bookmap, and we can store author/contributor information in the metadata there rather than encoding it within a topic, so that we can place that information wherever we like.

I'll take some time this evening to take a look at your RC from the other day, convert a few topics, and organize them into a map.

e: Actually, this might depend somewhat on how you want to publish the DITA content. I work pretty exclusively in the DITA-OT, but let me know what platform you want to use.

I'm thinking something suitable for both print and e-publication, maybe eventually a mobile app as well. It would give me motivation/an excuse to learn how to make those. I've just made a Facebook group for this project so if everyone interested in working on it is on there we can use that as a medium instead of clogging up this thread. I'll try to pretty it up a bit after I get home.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Ah, okay- we could run it through a PDF plugin, and that'll hit the first two goals, with the side benefit that I can develop and maintain said plugin. We could try an EPUB plugin, as well, but in my experience, that can be a huge pain, as not all e-readers actually support the EPUB standard. Still, we can take this to the group and chat about Clix again.

That said, jeezy petes, check out the chase Sabretooth and Wild Child! This could be a pretty good counter to Nick "Balls of" Fury if you can choose a good map or have decent TK options, which his keywords definitely support.

404. Here's the link. That said, Charge/Flurry/Blades will definitely ruing Fury's day. Fury shoots hard, but he goes down hard too, and with a 12 attack to Fury's 18 defense even with Fury's Prob Sabretooth's going to hit.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Boo-yah! One of the shops got more TMNT in. I bought 3 packs and pulled Michaelangelo, Leatherneck, and chase Donatello. Score! I then bought common Donatello and Raphael loose from under the counter for $2 each. Don isn't the best chase, but he's still a chase Turtle.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

This dearth of map variety is the big reason I wish they'd start putting them in Fast Forces again. Otherwise it's just the occasional OP kit and the starters that (almost) always sell out quickly. That's just not enough variety to really be able to strategize around. What was the team you ran up against?

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Here are Cyclops, Beast, and Angel from FF:UXM. That Angel is going to be this FF's FF: Chaos War Scarlet Witch.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

CapnAndy posted:

He only gives the free charge to one of this ANX buddies, which is a major limiter on how gamebreaking he can be.

Ah, right, I missed that part. My brain filled in "shares a keyword." Really, Cyclops being able to choose the direction of knockback is going to need a clarification. Can he choose a direction that's toward him, using Force Blast as a tractor beam? It would be hilarious, but they'll probably come back with "the direction of knockback must always be away from the attacker" or something along that line.

Edit: Asked. Let's see what happens. If he can indeed choose ANY direction, give him Quake somehow and hijinks will ensue.

ManiacClown fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Apr 26, 2016

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Man, I might just completely skip this bullshit. I realize they've got to try new things, but this is just moronic.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Double post, but:

hcrulesteam posted:

maniacclown posted:

Does the underlined portion mean that Cyclops can cause knockback toward himself?
Yes. Cyclops can choose to knock back the character in any direction, including towards himself. Note that the knock back direction must still be a direct path.
HAHAHAHAHA! Yes! They actually let you do it! Holy poo poo, I am SO picking up that Fast Forces if they don't all get snapped up before payday next week! I don't remember the last piece that let you commit such blatant retardery. Just like big money and big prizes, I love it.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Morand posted:

Mystique Tech was a bit of a surprise coming out of these events, she won in Jersey and Kentucky.

What precisely is "Mystique Tech?"

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

They've reversed the ruling about Pulse Wave vs. Emotional Spectrum: Fear. The ruling is now that because you're not ignoring the Battery itself you DO get the -2 to attack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

CapnAndy posted:

I posted a reply questioning that, since while pulse wave doesn't ignore the battery it does ignore their attached construct, and characters without attached constructs aren't corps members and don't get Emotional Spectrum benefits. Stay tuned for them to deny the post because it's "not on topic" and refuse to answer.

edit: Called it. 2:27 PM, post denied beause "not on topic".

"Oh, poo poo, someone has a memory longer than three months! Hide!"

Did you try posting a new thread for it? If not, I will. People need to start hammering them for this kind of bullshit until they have to actually answer questions and maybe acknowledge when they're reversing something and why. It would be nice if they at least had a customer service email we could send feedback about this sort of thing to.

Edit: I checked and they denied my reply about it on Rule 8 ("not a discussion forum") grounds.

ManiacClown fucked around with this message at 22:59 on May 17, 2016

• Locked thread