Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "

Yeah, I'm very bummed about the lack of Gen-Con. There is a small internal push to do SOMETHING there, but if we do, it will be very low-key, nothing sealed so that we don't need to ship anything but prizes. Personally, I'm pushing for bring-your-own-booster battle royales, since I want to see players flood in with those super-cheap Sinister bricks that you can always get on the show floor.

It's been, like, five years since I've had a Gen-Con where I won't be running events for WizKids. I have no idea what to do with myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "

Red posted:

So let's say I have a Sinestro Corps battery, Sinestro ring, and a yellow decoy construct, and place it on the 270-point Future Ultron.

He can already use Perplex on his top click, but now the battery gives him the ability to use Perplex as well, but only to decrease values.

My question is: Does the battery's use of perplex stack? If not, do you have to technically declare each time which Perplex you're using?

They're both Perplex, which is a free action, and you can't take the same free action more than once per round. The source doesn't matter, as it's still the same action. It used to be that, if you had a power on your dial, you couldn't use it from another source (even if that other source were better, like characters with Smoke Cloud couldn't use the free Smoke Cloud granted by a Net construct), but that's been changed to let you choose the source. Technically, yeah, you'd have to declare which Perplex you were using, but since neither of them have a special effect beyond changing values, I doubt anybody would call you on it in that case.

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "

ManiacClown posted:

Edit: Looking at it again, they specify "as if she had a range of 6." Smoke Cloud has a minimum Range of 6 already. I wonder if this portends them changing it in the 2016 rules, like maybe dropping it to 4.

Smoke Cloud (and Barrier) are a minimum 4, so she's sneaking a couple extra squares. Plus, defining the range of 6 means that she can't get a Sniper Rifle to toss the Smoke 10 out.

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "

Sanschel posted:

Interesting format this week: 400 points and Mind Control may be used on friendly characters. Any time MC is used it deals 1 unavoidable damage, or 2 if the total point values are 150+, but if you can successfully chain three uses of Mind Control then no members of the chain take damage.

I've been trying to think of people that have some benefit that cues just off of hitting with an attack, rather than specifically hitting an opposing character. For example, SR Steve Rogers triggers Prob for Shield characters when he hits with any attack, whereas the Rally trait of the generics requires hitting an opposing character. Basically I want to buff myself as much as possible right out of the gate by exploiting being able to attack my own characters.

I'm presently super tempted to run 50 point SR Iron Man possessed by Predator so I can give anybody I want MC, though an MC denial team using Wrath or Nighthawk Prime could be equally entertaining.

Safe to assume there will be plenty of the Doctor, to punish friendly Mind Control uses. But, if you're looking for benefits from just hitting with attacks, you could go with some Flash speedsters and Predator, so they can just hang out in your starting area hitting each other with Charge/Sidestep Mind Controls and building up the Speed tokens that way.

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "
Ran my pre-release tonight. We had 13 players show up, and two cases, so we did a standard 2-booster tournament format. Someone did open a god booster, and we had three other chases pulled (two Lanterns, one Shazam), and no primes.

I was lucky enough to pull one of the KC Lanterns, and then was doubly-lucky that I was just the bye round, as his massive defense was missed all of three times the entire night. I ran him alongside Negative Man (who is a Poisonous beast who kept doing work all night) and Mr. Nobody (whose PC came in handy, but that was sadly about it).

Had two undefeated players at the end of the night. Oddly, the overall winner was running:
SR Batman
002 Superman
Etrigan

Not sure how it happened, but he took down the god pack team of Spectre and Shazam in the finals.

I think I like this set for sealed, which is good, since this will be the DC set used for conventions. Sadly, I also got the official confirmation that WizKids is 100% not showing up at Gen-Con this year. It's been 5 years since I've gone and NOT judged 'Clix... I don't know what to do with myself. I'm halfway tempted to just run a few tournaments, anyway.

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "
We had 12 boosters left over from our official pre-release, so we did some World's Finest battle royales today. Impossibly, ANOTHER god pack popped out... unfortunately, it was in the battle royale that I wasn't playing in, but it was still really cool to see.

Continuing with the impossible trend, a World's Finest got pulled in my battle royale, and I somehow managed to nearly solo that drat thing with Klarion & Teekl. They got hit once by speedy-Supes for 2, but all the rest of the damage came from that little cat darting in when the duo was pushed, having super-lucky die rolls, and then getting the heck out of dodge when they cleared. I also had Major Force being a super-toxic influence on the map, getting hit to click #6 and then hanging around longer than he should, doing penetrating Poison to most of the map.

The top two players from each battle royale got to buy in to one final one with our remaining boosters. I pulled prime Superman, who got work done, but the shining star of that battle royale was my Condiment King, who is just such a disgusting little tie-up piece. Pushed to click 2, he gets Poison, Plasticity, and an effective 18 defense up close... he was tying up whole teams.

All in all, it was a great day of 'Clix. I ended up heading home with the World's Finest, World's Vilest, prime Superman, the all-important Condiment King, and some less-exciting stuff. Really dig this set for battle royales... convention season is going to be a blast.

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "

Waffles Inc. posted:

Finally playing in a Worlds Finest sealed on Sunday--any figures that are bigger performers than they look on paper I should be looking out for?

Condiment King is a fantastic tie-up piece, as long as he's not facing down one of the two big duos or a KC figure. Push him to click 2 and base as many people as you can - he's Plasticity + Poison, and everybody next to him has a -2 to hit him. He's the sleeper of the set, in my opinion.

Klarion and Teekl work very, very well together. You can either get a crazy-long alpha strike (something like 17 square threat range) if you're willing to just commit Teekl to a single important hit. Or, if you're more conservative with them, you've got PC plus Perplex, a decent ranged attacker, and a decent-if-fragile close attacker that is very easy to protect.

Echoing what Sanschel said, too. I've seen Wizard and Element Man both do wonderful things, in local sealed events.

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "
Sounds like a very different experience than the Chicago WKO, which I played in today. The thing was just terribly-run. They announced at the beginning that it would be 6 rounds, rather than the previously-announced 4, and then another 3 rounds for the top 8. Despite having rounds be just 45 minutes, it somehow took then 11 hours to get through those 6 rounds. They also had battle royales on the abbreviated 45-minute timer, which really felt like they were cheaping people out of their play time in an attempt to make them buy more boosters. They were also all over the map on battle royale rules - through the course of the day, judges said that you got 5 actions, the proper 3 actions, that you could add 3 objects per player, 2 objects, 1 object, ultras were okay, ultras were not okay... just a mess all around.

For the tournament, I ended up running pretty much everything in my boosters:
Shifting focus Supermen (Shooty, with Defense and Strength on the side)
Shifting focus Batmen (Stealthy, with Chargey on the side)
Condiment King
Demon
Tin
Witch

So, nothing outstanding, but it seemed like a pretty solid squad - Enhancement, negative Perplex, regular Perplex, a tie-up, and two fighters. Dice in general were unkind, and I dropped to play battle royales, which went a bit better. But the disorganization and shoddy judging made for a very unpleasant day all around.

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "

Volfogg posted:

Man, I still remember that thing. They put the normal P1 colors for the six in there, and gave them fairly worthless dials. Well, with the exception of Chun-Li having SOME utility.

Aw, starter Ken was actually a pretty decent tie-up figure. He's the only Street Fighter figure that I'll play as anything but a joke, these days.

And, wow, those starter Turtles are awful. If they were, like, 40 points each, that would make sense, but 75? All those bystanders in that box had better be fantastic...

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "

ManiacClown posted:

Seriously? What about Cammy? She's pretty good. I almost played her last weekend. Dee Jay's certainly decent, Fei Long's not bad for 75 points, and both of the main set Dhalsims are plenty playable.

Well, okay, I do grab Fei Long for celebrity teams. The problem with the set is just that, at this point there are better options to fill pretty much any role that a Street Fighter character can fill, no matter what keyword you're looking for. They're still fun to play for who and what they are, but if I'm playing anything other than straight Street Fighter (or gimmick 'as many universes as possible' teams), none of them can really carry their weight. The set was not competitive when it first came out, and years of improvements on dial design have made them seem even worse.

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "

Red posted:

Here are some random rules questions:

1. If you do not place any, deal Alloy 1 unavoidable damage." to place Metal Men on the map, does your opponent score 275 victory points immediately? Are victory points scored only if the replacement Metal Men are all KO'd, or are victory points not scored at all for Alloy if he's not KO'd? Our judge ruled that you score 275 plus whatever Metal Men points if you KO all of the replacements.
If you don't place any, yeah, Alloy is just KO'd, and your opponent scores him as usual. If he splits out, scoring is a little tricky - if you KO some but not all the Metal Men that replaced him, you score them individually. If you KO all of them, then you get Alloy's cost, rather than any points from the Metal Men. So, you'll never get more points than Alloy is worth, and there's a good chance to get a lot less.

Red posted:

2. NFAoS024 Winter Soldier has "DEADLY SNIPER: Winter Soldier can use Outwit and Ranged Combat Expert, both with a locked range value of 10. If he uses both in a turn, he must target the same character.". If I use RCE to blow out a wall 9 squares away (necessitating RCE, since Bucky's range is naturally 7), can he use Outwit on the now-exposed character behind the wall?
Two things: you can't use RCE (or CCE) to destroy a wall. RCE and CCE require you to target a character. Even if you could, he couldn't use the Outwit, since he'd already used RCE to target something other than that character.

Red posted:

3. When is the proper time to 'declare' things? I'm thinking of a more competitive environment, so is there a rule of thumb for when you state you're using B/C/F in an attack, or selecting a TA through a wild card, and so forth?

Well, it varies based on what you're declaring, but generally just say things before you use them. Technically, you can't declare Blades or Energy Explosion until you've actually hit with an attack, but most people declare them before making the attack. Wild cards can change at any point during your turn, but not during other actions, so just make sure you say you're switching before you would do something that you'd want a team ability for. As long as you're not at World's level, most people will be forgiving as long as you declare your stuff before rolling dice.

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "

CapnAndy posted:

3) Looks like the horrible ugly card redesign with printed dials got poo poo-canned.

The next X-Men set was never going to have the new card style - they said in the article announcing the new cards that the Wolverine card they were showing was just a mock-up, and the style wouldn't be used until later sets. There was a picture from GAMA showing a Spider-Man card from Superior Foes (one assumes) that uses the new style. Thankfully, it's been redesigned a bit, and doesn't look as awful as the initial mock-up.

Take a look.

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "

CapnAndy posted:

Is anyone shocked at this point that WizKids is running a barebones and probably understaffed organization?

Last I'd heard, they had 16 employees, which sounds high to me. A couple years ago, they were operating with 6 paid people and a heck of a lot of volunteers.

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Does anyone know a rough estimate of when that set is coming?

While ManiacClown is likely more accurate, Superior Foes is currently slated for July. Going by recent patterns, that means August.

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "

ManiacClown posted:

What size are the battle royale maps (both square dimensions and measurements) from the Ant-Man Micro Tournam-ant? I don't have one to check.

I believe they're 16x16.

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "

Red posted:

I had no idea there were exclusive maps for those - the venue I went to just used standard maps.

Also: Are the forthcoming vinyl maps standard size?

There are two official battle royale maps so far. One is indoors, with a ton of walls and a lot of water - just a nightmare for ranged characters and those who cannot ignore hindering for movement. The other is outdoor, and is pretty fun and balanced unless there's a character with IT: Elevated, in which case it becomes a shooting gallery with no real way to retaliate. We use them for conventions, and the venues that got the Ant-Man micro tournament last year also got sent some.

The upcoming Civil War OP series is going to come with something like four more battle royale maps.

Pretty sure that the vinyl maps are going to be standard size.

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "

ManiacClown posted:

Do you know the dimensions on the BR maps?

16x16 squares, with 3x3 starting areas.

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "

DaMangoSentinel posted:

Anyone have a release event for TMNT tonight? Ours was buy 5 boosters, 200 points.

Just ran mine. Had people allowed to buy 6-10 boosters, and then go 300 points.

I bought 7, and had some pretty excellent pulls. Ended up with chase Donnie, Monstrex, Renet Tilley, Rat King, and three Foot Soldiers. Played everything but Donnie, although two of the Foot were just sidelined to maybe replace the Bo Soldier if he got KO'd.

I was the bye round, so I wasn't exactly up against the best the tournament had to offer, but, man, that team was solid. Rat King tied down all everybody in rats, and Monstrex just rolled around eviscerating people, backed up by up to three PCs, courtesy of Renet. Monstrex just has so many options for ripping someone's face off, and Flurry/Steal Energy is just the icing on the cake. A couple people managed to wound him, but he always ended the game on top dial.

I really want to like this set, because it's Turtles, and that's exciting, but it just strikes me as really uncreative and inaccurate. Four sets of four characters with the exact same weapon power, five Foot Soldiers with absolutely identical dials, and just the same powers everywhere. I had to just stop, listen, and laugh during the first couple turns of one round, because every single person in the room was announcing multiple Sidesteps. You've got ninja without a lick of Stealth, people known for throwing stars lacking range, Turtles that cannot swim... it's just really leaving me wanting.

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "

Red posted:

I want to agree, but then, I think a turtle figure that meets all of that criteria is going to be double the point cost.

I would hope that adding some Stealth, the swim ability, and a 3 range to a turtle dial wouldn't double the cost... but, with some of those chases, you could just double the cost without doing anything, and it would seem appropriate.

The reveal of Rocksteady and Bebop already have me much more excited for the next set. Kraang generics from the current show would be awesome - give me the robots, and some brains in their little UFOs. I'd love Old Man Raph from the future, with all four weapons. There's just so much potential with the license... I really hope that they handle it better than they did with this first offering.

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "
Just had our Uncanny X-Men pre-release. A lot of people had to drop at the last minute, which meant we were easily able to do a standard 2-booster sealed. I got fairly lucky with my pulls, landing the Quicksilver and Malice super rares. We had two chases pulled (Sunfire and Sabretooth) and one prime (Emma). We also had a lot of crap... this seems like a set where your play can't overcome your pulls, as two of my venue's best ended up at the very bottom of the heap.

I ended up running:
Malice
Quicksilver
Scalphunter
Riptide
The little Genocian Generic

Scalphunter ended up being the MVP, when paired with that Genocian's PD, Enhancement, and Plasticity shielding. Scalphunter being able to pick up either Precision Strike or Psychic Blast deals with most of the characters in the set, and an 11 attack, 3 damage, 7 range is pretty solid for his cost. If you pull him, play him!

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "

Red posted:

Any idea if there'll be an unofficial Heroclix event at GenCon this year?

We'll find out when the Gen-Con event listing goes up on Friday. There were two unofficial events last year, so I have to imagine that number is going to be going up, with no WizKids presence. I'd been planning on running some, myself, but then shifted my plans to hit Origins this year instead of Gen-Con.

And, wow, Civil War month 2. A team battle royale where it's still ranked 1-4 based on KO points. Because nothing says 'team' like having your partner be an opponent who you can't attack.

Torrent fucked around with this message at 17:22 on May 3, 2016

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "

The Grammar Aryan posted:

Krang/Juston will also get completely dunked on by a green battery, since Krang needs free actions to do his fancies.

Yeah, Krang/Juston is a much stronger build at Worlds than it is at Regionals, due to retirement knocking out all the free action limiters.

I'm hoping to make the Chicago WKO on Saturday. I need to win me a Surf Batman!

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "
Last week, we had our usual post-set release auction sealed event. Everybody gets a bidding pool of $5, and we go through the a case of the recent set, along with some other boosters one by one, bidding on first pick from it, then second, and so on until everything is gone. Chases and primes go into the prize pool, along with various other good stuff that builds up between releases. You get to keep what figures you win, and then build your team from that.

My wants from this set are low, so I went in just wanting to make a winning team, and focused on buying Marauders. Since they're pretty much all commons, it was easy. I ended up running:

Franklin Richards pog
Vanisher
2x John Greycrow
3x Riptide

This team was just balls-out disgusting. Faced off against SR Beast, R Sabretooth, and someone else in round 1. Round two was Proteus, a Brood, and Riptide. Round three was the World's Finest. There's really no need to do game recaps, since they all boil down to 'and then Riptide massacred them.' I went undefeated, and basically unthreatened. Lost Franklin twice, a Riptide once, and that was it. Marauders are mean!

Sanschel, the team that I was going to take to the WKO (sadly, plans fell through) is:

WoL107 Kyle Rayner w/Decoy construct
Mr. Mxyzptlk
Atom on his retaliation line
Blue Power Battery w/Decoy (Mxy), Net (Kyle), Bulldozer (Atom), Mallet (to be upgraded to other constructs as needed)

Mxy pushes to click 2 immediately (if his die has a 3 or 4, replace a 'Battery hurts itself' roll with that, so he can try for a better die while pushing). Kyle gets turned colossal, and has the option to colossal stamina push down to Ion clicks if need be, but in practice, he's effective enough on those first two clicks with three Blue Perplexes behind him, and the stop click is enough of a deterrent that I don't push him down there. Atom acts as a taxi and another deterrent, and is great at dishing out surprise damage - either Bulldozer knock back, or by Mxy making him smaller (since Colossal Indifference only prevents you from attacking smaller characters).

The only problem that the team has is when it is up against Fury and another solid attacker, and they can manage to knock Kyle to Ion and then finish him off with Fury. There are ways around that, but it can get tricky. In practice games, it's beaten pretty much anything else.

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "

Sanschel posted:

That team worked like gangbusters, and had I recalled that I could've rerolled that missed Shape Change, that last match may have gone differently, but it was a blast nonetheless and I'm glad to have done as well as I did and get some cool swag. Thanks for the team, Torrent!

I'm glad that it worked out for you! Forgetting that drat Blue spectrum reroll was something that I kept doing, too. Only finally got it into my head enough to remember during the very last practice session.

Unfortunately, I had to work, and didn't make it up to Chicago for that WKO, but a couple of my friends went, and took first and second. The guy who won was playing another one of my teams; a monstrosity with 7 Ultron drones, Brimstone, White Battery, and 8 ID cards.

Now it's time to refocus towards Origins!

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "

Red posted:

Any thoughts or feedback? I'm really leaning towards the Nazi-Punchers, but Alpha One's ability to move robot buddies around could be neat, too.

Theme-wise, I really like Verson One. That one is just fun, and I'm totally stealing it at some point. Toss on a Spider-Bot Mk 1 or two SHIELD Level 1 ID cards to round that out!

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "

Steve Vader posted:

Batman With A Bomb (Bombman? Bombat? Wombat?) seems to work like the straight-jacket, although I've never seen anyone actually use that.

I used the straightjacket this weekend! Puck put it on, and then immediately became everybody's #1 target... it was great.

Two weeks until Origins, Nationals, and World's! Any goons planning on heading out? I just found out that I will be in charge of side tournaments again this year, so I'll need to read up on those. Hope to see some people out there!

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "

thebardyspoon posted:

drat it, I hate being wrong. Fair enough though, will keep that in mind if it ever comes up again. Is it the same with Mastermind while I'm thinking about this? If they get Masterminded damage onto them I mean.

Damage transferred by Mastermind isn't considered to be damage from an attack, so you wouldn't get something like Ridiculous Regeneration or Mystics triggering from it. The damage does retain the original type, so you would get whatever damage reducers that you had, unless the original attack was dealing penetrating damage.

My favorite part about that Incap quirk is that, as a no-damage attack, the attacker doesn't get hurt if they crit miss. But if they're Incapping someone who already has two tokens, that makes it a damaging attack, and they DO get hurt by a crit miss. Rules are fun!

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "

Steve Vader posted:

There are Golden Age tournaments that state "You may not include any non-character game elements except standard objects on your force and all starting force game elements you use (not including Sideline) must be able to begin the game on the map."

Does this effectively prohibit everything except actual figures and standard objects? No feats, no resources, no BFCs, no Entities? I feel like many of us have been searching for a succinct way to create tournaments that prohibit doucheplay but there's always some loophole to exploit. Does this mean that characters who generate bystanders can't generate them because they don't begin the game on the map?

I'll be running all the side events, so feel free to quote me on this. Indeed, no feats, resources, BFCs, or characters that start the game off the map (IE, Entities). Last year, we just said 'no tactics,' and got loopholed every which way, so it's a bit clearer this time.

That does NOT include call-in bystanders, as those are not a starting force element. An exception has also been made for characters that start with non-optional attachments - Klarion starting with Teekl okay is okay, since they have no choice, but the Champion starting with the Power Gem is not, since that's optional.

There's a FAQ with some clarifications here

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "

Steve Vader posted:

Oh, cool.

So no ATAs, even if they are on the character card, because they are an optional extra expense?

No ATAs, because they would start on your force but aren't a character or standard object.

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "

The Grammar Aryan posted:

Do you have a ruling link on that? Incap is still an attack that deals no damage, it's just that Incap has a special rules rider that deals 1 penetrating to hit targets with two tokens. The only reason that that triggers Mystics, etc., is that it's damage dealt by a character during an attack.

I have no link. Think that I got it from talking to one of the guys on the rules team, but I could be wrong. Your reasoning for why it wouldn't happen does look spot-on.

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "
Damnit, Andy, I still have that song stuck in my head.

From the judge's side, Origins was a lot of fun. Running side events the whole weekend let me deal with the less-competitive players (although there sure were still some!) and just help people have fun. After helping my friends practice for Worlds for months and months, it's really nice to get to see the softer side of the game in action. Lots of familiar faces and new kids cycling through... it gives me good feelings about the future of this game.

Highlights... let's see...

The no-range Brawl scenario had someone running three Brood Queens, and a whole mess of Brood. Every time I'd look away, there would be more bugs on the map. It was fun to watch people stand under the point shower and see how long they could endure before crumbling. One guy made it to time, and scored something like 200 points more than the build total, but everybody else fell to the swarm.

The Turtles event featured 9 Krang teams out of 30. Only 5 teams of chase Turtles. One guy thought it would be sealed, and didn't bring a team, and another accidentally underbuilt by 80 points. Both of them had figures provided by other players to allow them to play, which was awesome. Such a great player base.

L'il 'Clix had two people accidentally end up with illegal teams, one of whom was a 7-year-old kid who'd been doing well and having fun in all my events. We discussed it with his father, who was also playing, and decided that we'd have to quietly knock the kid down to last place, but when reading out the standings, we'd swap the kid and his father, so the kid would get to feel good about winning an LE. This was the event where you bring 5 100-point teams, and play as many games as possible against your opponent during the time limit, getting 1 point per win, so fast games were required. Well, the top table in round two began with a fight between White Lantern Martian Manhunter and Red Son Superman, who just kept hitting their Stop clicks and bouncing back for about half an hour... tough for them, but amusing to watch.

Escalation was a lot of fun... this being the only event that allowed resources (sorry, Steve Vader!), we saw some cheesier stuff. The Uru Absorbing Man with full Infinity Gauntlet build was just rude, but it got bogged down by an endless exploding rat-and-ant swarm. Fun one to watch.

Power Outage was my favorite. We'd roll the PAC d20 at various times, and players couldn't use whatever came up. We decided to spice things up by saying that if 'ANY' came up, characters could not use powers whose colors appeared in the squares that they were standing in. So, standing on pavement, no grey, possibly no white or yellow, and so on. Then we added the rule that if you were on the wrong end of a crit, you could decide which color you wanted back, and we'd roll the die to replace it for that map. Round one, we just had one power out at once, round two we did two, and we just kept stacking them up in round three, until ultimately declaring 'no more powers!' with ten minutes left. Players called it a great mix of frustrating and fun, which is just what we were going for, and it was a chance for the other side event judge and I to cut loose and get more involved.

Protect the Boss was the only event that had some problems. It was also the only event that actually had all 32 players (nearly every event sold out, but had no-shows). The scenario was 600 points, 5-figure minimum, at least 1 figure under 100 points, and you pick someone under 100 to be your boss. If the boss is KO'd, you lose. We had 11 teams with Mystique as the boss, which I guess I can't blame people for. We also had some games ending within the first 5 minutes, which wasn't fun for anyone. I did see some great games happening, but there were enough unfun things going down that I hope we don't offer that one again next year.

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "

Sanschel posted:

This Tuesday I've got a game where everybody can use Shape Change, what are some figures that gently caress with or rely upon it?
I felt like there were more but I'm drawing a blank. Also taking suggestions on good figures with Battle Fury.

Black Lantern Batman from DC10th heals when opponents roll a 1 or 2 on Shape Change.

TT201 Grymm can Mind Control people with Battle Fury, and gets +2 to hit when doing so.

Colossal Atom's retaliation ignores Shape Change.

You've got a few figures who can hand out Battle Fury (Unspoken, Morand's Shriek, Atrocitus), but they hand it out indiscriminately, so that won't give you an advantage.

You can probably expect a lot of opposing Battle Fury, so figures who can keep others away will be useful - Flash's Elongated Man and Deadpool's Anaconda both have Plasticity that works a couple squares out, which could come in really handy.

And, really, anyone who has a couple other d6 damage avoidance options can get silly, stacking up Shape Change. The new KC Flash comes to mind.

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "
We did our usual auction sealed this weekend, with a case of Superior Foes, and a couple random boosters of other things. $30 buy-in gets you a $5 bidding pool, and then we go through the boosters one by one, bidding on first pick from the contents of a booster, and so on, then you build a 300-point team from what you bought. I went in with the intent of buying myself a team of Serpent Society, but someone else had the same idea, which lead to prices more inflated than I was willing to pay. Highest bids were on the two SR Spider-Men that got pulled, both of which went for about $2.80, with Morlun and a SLoSH Validus both going for over $2.

I ended up fielding Devil Dinosaur, Stilt Man with 6 leg extensions, Norman Osborn with the Goblin on his card, and Kingpin. Plan was for colossal Stilt Man to be able to carry Devil Dinosaur around (mostly because it was funny), Kingpin to hang back and Outwit through Norman, which effectively gave Norman two Outwits, Perplex, and Enhancement top-dial.

As luck would have it, round one was against the guy who bought the Serpent Society team - he was running Cottonmouth, Mamba, Anaconda, Death Adder, and a Thug. He's a very new player, and this was just his fourth game ever, so it was mostly a teaching experience, but it helped me to get the feel for things on my team.

Round two, I got called away for work, so I had a friend run my team for me. I got back in time to watch the last fifteen minutes or so of the game. He was up against Spider-Gwen, Jameson, Tarantula, Speed Demon, and something that had been KO'd by the time that I got there. From the sound of it, Gwen had been hit with Blades for 5, which put her right on her special defense power and popped right back to click 1, but Devil Dinosaur was proving unhittable. I got there right in time to see Stilt Man colossal retaliate over to hit Tarantula and land in perfect position to Quake the entire team. Lots of back-and-forth rolling eventually saw my boys pull it out.

I was back in the saddle for round three, which was against full-point Validus and the Black Cat. Bit of a dance to begin with, since he won map roll and took us outdoors, where he vastly out-ranged me, but Validus starts on Charge, so I was able to stay out of the threat range and set up to start TKing Drop Bears at him. He decided not to play that game, and just dropped them both right into the middle of my cluster, counting on that big defense to hold out. I did whiff on the first couple attempts, but managed to tag him with Stilt-Man for 3. He got the free Pulse Wave off the next turn, hitting everybody but the one Drop Bear that I had started to move up for 2, then finished off Osborn. I whiffed on a couple shots, but Stilt-Man's retaliation landed, and then he hauled Kingpin out of the danger zone. Devil Dinosaur took another Pulse Wave, but luckily, his defense power can't be ignored, so he tanked through it. Then the last remaining Drop Bear pushed to Charge on in, and landed a Blades for 5 to take the giant down. Then it was just a matter of time before the Black Cat fell.

So, I took first, with a little help from my friends. I took Spider-Noir from the prize pool, and he looks amazing. Devil Dinosaur and Stilt Man are the kinds of figures that are just right up my alley, and I'm going to have to fight to not over-play them.

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "

Sanschel posted:

Question: what figures have been made who gain their power from a patron deity that demands regular tithes? I'm thinking along the lines of Juggernaut and Moon Knight being powered by Cyttorak and Khonshu and offering them tributes of destruction and blood to keep their powers up. The only other close approximation I can think of would be Hood getting his powers roundabout via Dormammu.

The new Brother Blood gets his powers from Trigon, I believe.
Sabbac
Cheetah
Silver Swan

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "
We had our TMNT2 release event today. 400 points, with only figures from TMNT releases, ninja-types, or anthropomorphic animals allowed. I went with the new Fast Forces Turtles and April, plus the 60-point van and some Ooze.

Round one was against the four IDW Turtles. Donnie jumped in the van, and I had April grab the Ooze, and we did a positioning dance until he ended up tokening all his guys one turn, so I moved up, parking April and Mikey on top of him, with the others hanging back. His Donnie took out April (she gained his Sidestep via the Ooze), and Mikey made all his Shape Change rolls to stymie the others. We were pretty easily able to save April, and she took up a position to start healing my boys. After that, we prioritized Leo, taking him out of formation due to my Raphael opening a fire hydrant on him, then Donnie hopping out of the van to finish him off. His Raph and Mikey made a valiant last stand, surviving my onslaught for a good fifteen minutes on their own, with Raph clearing every time I missed him. But, with the FF Turtles all having top-dial Invuln, and April standing behind them for constant healing, they were never able to make much headway, and my attacks eventually connected.

Round two, I went up against a beautiful team: half a dozen of the new Foot Soldiers with the new Shredder, and then half a dozen Infinity Challenge Hand Ninja along with the Elektra from the Deadpool set, and my favorite object, Bookworm's Bookcase. The Hand clustered around the Bookcase, using the Enhancement it provides and their Hydra TA to take ranged potshots while the Foot ran interference. Again, April got the Ooze, then she and Mikey got dropped in people's faces. April somehow tanked a full round of attacks by the Foot and Shredder without getting touched, and my Turtle boys started dropping ninja. Once the Shredder was wounded enough, everybody but Leo bailed out, and Leo took the hit of the thermite bomb, which also wiped out the last two remaining Foot. But then Elektra got mad, taking out the van, capturing April, KO'ing Leo, and severely wounding the other three. This ended up being a really close game - as last action was called, Elektra whiffed the attack that would've KO'd Donnie and won her the game.

Round three was against the brutal combination of the new Slash, Armaggon, the new Rat King, and a Foot Soldier. He won map roll, which would've cost me the game on its own, as he took us to the oldschool prison map. Slash tunneled through the walls, keeping his team safe from any attack and ensuring first strike. So Armaggon and Slash wiped out the van in one turn. I had a chance to severely wound Armaggon, but after connecting with the first hit, managed to whiff on the next five attempts at a 7, ending on a critical miss. I would've lost anyway, but it turned into one of those games where our dice combined to form average probability, with me not going above a 6 and him not going below an 8. KO'd the Foot Soldier, hit Armaggon once, and didn't connect with any other attacks, while he never missed. But, man, that Rat King is a thing of beauty, and he was played really well. That guy is going places.

The Fast Forces Turtles are pretty solid, they just need the van to help with mobility. But, man, that April is just a must-have for any TMNT team... every game, I'd throw her out to get captured, then after her first rescue, have her switch to healing duty, and it worked very well. In all, I like this set much better than the first one. It just has a much better grasp on the characters than the first one, which felt very much cut-and-paste to me.

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "

Waffles Inc. posted:

At this point they've got to have Alan and/or Dr. Fate be over a hundred points right? I don't even think you can accurately represent the OG Green Lantern in under 50 points. The 90 point Anniversary dial is more or less perfect though

We saw their point costs at NYCC. Alan is 35 points, Fate is 40.

After waiting so long for any new JSA, I'm really disappointed that they're getting this crappy 'specialist' treatment. Feels like a slap in the face to long-time fans of the game. I don't care how 'efficient' their point costs are... if you pulled the names off these dials, would anybody be able to tell who they're supposed to be?

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "

thebardyspoon posted:

As it is this is the least excited I've been for a set in ages, they didn't do one of those unboxing videos with the actor guy which were always pretty fun to watch, the actual previews have been underwhelming and they've not done many of them. The sets coming out in mid November right?

Pre-release events start on the 2nd, and the set officially releases on the 16th, I believe.

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "

Red posted:

My plan will be to TK Hawkman up to the symbiote and equip it right away. However, I have no clue what the current rule regarding KC pieces and object modifiers is.

He'll get the Shape Change and Plasticity, but couldn't get the combat value modifier on rolling a 5-6, because the symbiote isn't a character with the KC team ability. On the plus side, no need to roll means no chance of dropping it.

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "

Sanschel posted:

Question, just looking at making teams based on dumb similarities: who are some people that spin? I'm not talking like wind people like the Red Tornados, but characters whose primary power is being really good at spinning. So far I've got Whirlwind, The Top, Riptide, and the Tornado Twins (technically speedsters but they spun to hide that from the populace of the future where speedsters were outlawed), am I missing any? The three villains make 230 and I think it'd be cool to get one more for a 300 point team.

That's something of an exotic one, but Thorn from the Flash set is known for spinning at super speed and is 60 points. The only other one that I can even think of is the rare Ken from the Street Fighter set, as he's doing the Hurricane Kick.

Or take Calculator from Arkham Asylum. I'm sure he can spin like crazy in that office chair!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "
At Origins this year, the two kings of the 100-point division were the low dials for White Lantern Martian Manhunter and Red Son Superman. Stop clicks, Regen, and other forms of healing are huge in one-on-one battles.

• Locked thread