Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Morand posted:

Batroc zee leap-air is a pretty bonkers 40 points. Sidestep twice for free and attack for free if you have a token.

http://wizkids.com/heroclix/2017/04/12/marvel-heroclix-avengersdefenders-war-batroc/
Which means that if he starts a turn with no action tokens and adjacent to somebody, he can hit 'em twice in one turn. That's pretty nasty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I'm playing Deadpool Corps on Sunday, actually. I will report back on results, but man, they sorely lack any sort of Carry.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Red posted:

Isn't Championpool a giant? And Stingray is a flier.
And Golden Age Deadpool can carry, yeah. I should have said "that's worth their points".

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

My map philosophy is PLAY BRIDGE, EVERYONE PUNCH EACH OTHER IN THE MIDDLE but it's worth noting that Morand beats me pretty regularly, so go with his advice.

(Bridge tho)

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Steve Vader posted:

Although most people are pitching a fit because Defenders Hawkeye has the exact same dial as JW Green Arrow for 10 points less. Trait and everything.
Seriously? How'd nobody catch that?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

They've already previewed Shadowlands Daredevil and he's definitely a chase. Figuring out any sort of coherent theme that unites first appearance Ironheart and Shadowlands Daredevil is left as an exercise for the reader, because I sure as hell can't think of one.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Posigniat posted:

What could you even bring in that would give Jakeem a run for his money?
Nick Fury, TMNT2 FF Donatello (seriously), a punch in the goddamn face for the rear end in a top hat who thinks that "friendly game" means Jakeem motherfucking Thunder, or just staying home until June and then a fuckton of outwit.

Also, hey, who thought Title Characters were gonna be a one-off gimmick for Deadpool? Dr. Strange says hi; he's an incredibly solid 80 points and a really good representation of the new Aaron/Bachalo run.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

I store mine in binders and I've got literally every carded set ever made in just four binders; two Marvel, one DC, one DC/Other. That said I'm gonna need another two soon, one for Marvel and one to move the Others into their own binder, but still. I hardly find that excessive.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Morand posted:

I've heard of people doing that but that would honestly drive me insane. With the realms letting you know exactly what set things are in I usually build something on my phone and then tick them off as I nab them from each set. I always know exactly where the particular superman I want is and such.
Yeah, that's exactly why I switched to storing by set. I used to store by team affiliation but it became an organizational nightmare -- is Beast an Avenger or X-Man? Does Robin go with Batman or the Teen Titans? What about the guys who are either unaffiliated or belong in a group with like 5 dudes ever that it'd be inefficent to give them their own storage space? -- and additional nightmares when I tried to actually find the specific piece I wanted, or even check if I had that piece. (I gave up on it before the carded era, which would at least have solved that problem). It's simply much, much easier to store by set. Where's Miles Morales? In the SFSM drawer, between Scorpion and Mr. Hyde. Easy.

CapnAndy fucked around with this message at 19:41 on May 2, 2017

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Morand posted:

Doublepost for the goblin king.

https://wizkids.com/heroclix/2017/05/26/marvel-heroclix-what-if-goblin-king/

He is better at being Jakeem Thunder then Jakeem is.
I mean, at least at 75 you can force through enough clicks to kill him, and otherwise he's a hefty point investment?

He's going to get much nastier after the new rules hit, because "just Outwit the stuff he picks" isn't gonna help on him.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

HCRealms has all of the What If? dials up, by the way, including the chases and Ameridroid. I like parts of it, but overall it's a pretty meh set.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Father Wendigo posted:

What If? they had originally planned to have a sizable number of the set be X-Men and Fantastic 4 related, and had to scramble to fill in a suddenly unusable chunk of their set list?
Yeah, super unlikely. It's not like I work there or anything but I'd be shocked beyond belief if literal Step 1 wasn't "submit setlist to licensor for approval".

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

I have perfect faith that Elseworlds will be good, if that helps.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Morand posted:

Good luck to them! This year was always going to be a no show for me. No con's until my daughter is over a year old was the deal I made my wife. I have no idea what's gonna be the dominant thing this year except maybe Jakeem and good old Nick and his level 7 card.
I've seen Dr. Strange, Defender of Earth mentioned a lot in the build-up. Jakeem with an entity and Dr. Strange is where I'd put my money.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

I similarly have a cheese team up my sleeve -- Dead Girl, Nick Fury, Jakeem Thunder with a possessor, FF Jean Grey, some other obnoxious bullshit I don't know. It's less a team and more a primal scream of STOP PLAYING THIS BULLSHIT.

On the topic of Origins, various pictures are coming out of Elseworlds stuff -- Planetary is confirmed, with Elijah Snow, Jakita Wagner, and the Drummer on the side of the booster packs, KC Aquaman is a SR, and colossal Wonder Woman has a ludicrously terrible paint job.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Steve Vader posted:

Saw the Undead GF box at Origins here. There are zombies, vampires, demons, skeleton-warriors, werewolves, and for some reason, there's an Abraham Lincoln of some sort. Not sure if it's a 'vampire hunter' or 'zombie Lincoln.'

I just know they better reuse that sculpt for the Star Trek set.
Are there pictures? I'm desperately eager to see how it looks.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Well, I didn't see Supreme Intelligence coming.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Torrent posted:

Origins was a good time, at least 'Clix-wise. In general, it is a sad affair that was even more depressing this year, and only serves to make me love Gen-Con all the more. But, hey, there was some good 'Clixing!
Oh man, give me stories. I hated Origins the last two years and didn't go this year because my heart belongs to Battle Royals and side events and all other things being equal (and they were for me), Gen-Con beats Origins by miles in terms of overall con experience. I want to hear stories about sad, depressing Origins and why I dodged it being even worse this year.

I will say this, though: Cincinnati is an actual city with an actual personality and Indianapolis is a bland, unimpressive suburban main street that some idiot dropped a football field onto. I've been in more culturally relevant shopping malls.

edit: Why the heck is Joker's Wild on Sunday at 10 am? That is early, man :(

CapnAndy fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jun 22, 2017

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Today I learned that Victorious is a god damned sucker pull and you're dumb if you play him. Went 1-2 only because after going 0-2 I matched up against the other idiot who played Victorious and my support pieces were better than his.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Jakeem Thunder, Goblin King, Faust, and Pym Tank have all been watchlisted.

If I had to guess, I'd say Jakeem doesn't get changed, Goblin King has his Power Cosmic stripped, Pym Tank's damage isn't unavoidable, and they just give up on Faust as a bad idea and retire him early.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Utterly ridiculous as a part of your force, too. Get TKed up, shoot somebody with my IT: Everything and You Get No Defense Powers RCE, be completely immune from return fire, and next turn just leap/climb back to the TKer to set up for doing it again.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

CapnAndy posted:

Jakeem Thunder, Goblin King, Faust, and Pym Tank have all been watchlisted.

If I had to guess, I'd say Jakeem doesn't get changed, Goblin King has his Power Cosmic stripped, Pym Tank's damage isn't unavoidable, and they just give up on Faust as a bad idea and retire him early.
I KNOW THE FUTURE

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

thebardyspoon posted:

They announced a new X men set as well. First Class, got an X Factor fast forces,the characters who've been headmaster of the school and a bunch of characters I've not heard of which is kinda cool, means I end up looking them up and finding new stories to read.
Including mothafuckin' Goldballs!!! Here's the announcement: https://icv2.com/articles/news/view/37928/x-men-first-class-registers-marvel-heroclix

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

I feel your pain, I went 2-1 on Sunday because in the first round I rolled a 4 five goddamn times. And I'm super interested to see the new rules.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

You're drawing a line from one data point, man. For all we know there isn't even a chase theme at all; AVDW sure didn't have one.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

ManiacClown posted:

Fair enough, but consider that it's a small theme and Wizkids loves low-hanging fruit. Would it surprise you?
Depending on what you mean by Thor Corps, maybe? We know there's a Masterson Thor and he's not a chase, Jane Thor is an uncommon, Groot Thor is a SR... there's gonna be lots of Thors all over the rarities.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

That's satisfyingly nasty for only 35 points. Just swoop around the map going WOOSH through guys and loving their day up because you are a god damned ghost, good times, good times. And giving him the Snowfall TA is funny.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

If you're not terrified of that guy you're not reading his card right. For 10 points -- ten points -- you get a figure who can teleport three squares away from somebody, punch them for 3 damage, and then regardless of if he hits or not, spawns a tie-up monster with plasticity, super senses, and shape change next to them... which also has an 11 attack with blades and can immediately attack. He's a nightmare.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

You should run DKR Superman, a couple tanks, and some army guys.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Morand posted:

Do I see an A in the number? Cause a prime where he's holding the bridge would be amazing
You did, but HCRealms thinks it's gonna be Bloodaxe. But they're HCRealms soooooo

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

I was gonna talk about my team (it massacred everything that wasn't Morand), but then they previewed Mangog, and, well, I wonder what the other 270 points of literally every Worlds team next year will be.

I did some quick math: if your opponent dares to attack you within 9 squares of their own starting area, you can upgrade Mangog on your very next turn (place yourself 3 squares away for the retaliation, immediately sidestep 2 and move another 5, but you have to be 2 deep into the starting area). If they make an attack that hits within 16 squares of their starting area, they'll have a whopping 1 turn window to hit a 19 with impervious before you pull the Odinsword.

19 defense with impervious to hide behind who can carry is worth 30 points all on his own. A retaliation that can do 7 loving damage to multiple targets and doesn't target your guys is worth more than 30 points all on its own. And then you get to either terrify your opponent into ceding you over half the map or else get an easy shot to add an extra 120 points to your force -- or 250, or 300 in higher point games.

loving hell, man.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Vitamin P posted:

Picked up a Marvel What If... Starter Set that had a few big names and for some reason the witchy girl from Runaways, rulebook says 2015 but that's fine, just want to play a few friendly games and see if it grabs me.
Ask us questions if stuff confuses you, but seriously, fair warning: that rulebook is valid for exactly two more weeks, and the new rules drop in five days.

If I was you, I'd play some games without powers -- just focus on getting used to move, close combat, and ranged combat actions. Pretend the dials are all blank. It's a good way to start anyway and in this case you really don't want to be learning stuff you're gonna have to immediately unlearn.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Today at gencon there was a 400 point TMNT tournament, to which I stubbornly brought the turtles because it's a TMNT tournament, dammit, I'm playing the TMNT. Sure enough, basically everyone else was playing shredders, although I did see one guy with Krang.

Came in third place.

Not that it mattered at all because we all got LEs, but I'm taking my moral victory.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

I absolutely hate the dial design; even if nobody told me this was fan-created I'd know it was. Nothing about it gels, it's all just little pieces of previous metas jammed together. Reduce penetrating damage, the Indigo Lantern effect, a stop click with phasing and free regen after you run away. It stinks like fanfic.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Well this'll take a while to process through.

The HeroClix Thread v13: You Don't Know How To Play HeroClix

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Okay, so, from the TA changes alone:
  • Obvious changes to JLA, Avengers, Brotherhood, and Injustice League, but they're all good changes I think. Brotherhood/IL is actually really good now? How weird.
  • Batman Enemy, Sinister Syndicate, Defenders, and JSA all take an adjacent printed value to copy now. No more attack or defense chaining.
  • Suicide Squad can heal up to 4 clicks when one of them is KO'd now.
  • When using Superman Enemy, you just need to be next to a lower point guy with the TA long enough to activate the FREE, then you've got Outwit for the entire turn no matter what.
  • Similarly with SHIELD, you can "bank" the damage boosts now, so you can then Running Shot away (or whatever) from the SHIELD guys and still have your damage upped for the attack.
  • Underworld can now carry anyone who shares a keyword with them, not just other Underworld figures. That's gonna make them really, really welcome on a lot of teams.
  • Not only is Mystics uncopyable, it deals penetrating damage now, not unavoidable. Anything that can reduce penetrating, like oh I don't know let's say Invincible, is now a hard counter for Mystics teams. About goddamn time there was actually a counter for that TA's bullshit.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

ManiacClown posted:

We may also see a chase Valkyrie with Dragonfang.
They've already previewed exactly this.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

I think so!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

CapnAndy posted:

The HeroClix Thread v13: You Don't Know How To Play HeroClix

• Locked thread