Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I just finished binging all of Ars Paradoxica, at least everything that's out so far. I'm... so-so on it. I find Sally to be an incredibly annoying character, both in how she's depicted and used as a fictional character and just from thinking about what it would be like to spend time with her. I also think that for the most part, they don't really use the historical setting all that well. Sally, a character whose entire personality can be summed up as "obsessed with 21st century pop culture to an extremely unhealthy level" doesn't really seem to care that she's in the 1940s. Sexism and racism and other issues are barely touched on. The few times they actually try to reference contemporary historical things, they make some very easy and glaring errors (which I would be more lenient about if, in their Time-Lapse podcast, they didn't bust Bill and Ted for doing the same thing).

The second season, however, is a big improvement (I gather I'm one of the few people to think so, though). They move away from Sally and they move from a general linear storytelling in a supposedly period setting to being more an anthology about various interesting ways time travel could be used for espionage. There were a lot of neat ideas (although again, after listening to Time-Lapse, they seem to have gotten a lot of inspiration from Primer and Timecrimes) and a lot of the one-off or occasional characters were a lot more fleshed out than the regular cast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

LordZoric posted:

*dramatic thud*

I have that problem with both TBT and Tanis, they keep having characters return who haven't been featured for lengthy amounts of time and I have no clue who they are.

I like that they've established a few times that Black Tapes and Tanis are at least officially in the same shared universe, which means that the main guy from Tanis is in a relationship with a different woman on each podcast.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Jurgan posted:

The only one he was confirmed being in a relationship with was Amalia, the Russian woman. There was one very funny (I think intentionally) bit where Nic was talking to some friend of his and it was like, "So, you and Veronica are doing it, right? Huh? How about Meerkatnip, she's gotta be hot? Come on, you're loving, right? You can tell me!"

One of the last episodes of the last season of Tanis, there's a pretty blatant indication that Nick and Meerkatnip meet up to bone at the end of the episode.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

New Leaf posted:

TANIS is back! I really don't care if they never get to the point, or if they're going in circles or rehashing old plots or how goofy the premise is. I just love listening to it for some reason.

There is something very relaxing about it. I think it might be the music, along with Nick's voice.

I liked the first season a lot, but I realized listening to the new episode today that I had forgotten everything that happened in the second season.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I like the basic premise of Rabbits (some kind of ARG type game played for decades) more than the basic premise of Tanis (random conspiracy stuff) or TBT (paranormal). But the format is indeed exactly the same as those two. The music is even almost identical to Tanis. I'll give it a few episodes and see if it tilts decisively one way or the other.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

MockingQuantum posted:

Hey thread, I'm a newcomer here and looking for some podcast recommendations. I'm particularly interested in horror/supernatural/suspense/dread kind of stuff. I listened to Welcome to Night Vale way back when it started but gave up on it when it stopped being about the town and focusing more on Cecil. I didn't mind the sense of humor though. I also gave The Black Tapes a fair shake and gave up around episode 112-- it felt like it was going nowhere fast, some of the performances were cringeworthy, and I got so sick of the advertisements and nothing happening for an entire episode. Also why spend 80% of an episode talking about how spooky these cave paintings are? It's like having someone read out the dialog of a comic and expecting it to be entertaining.

I've had Tanis recommended to me but I doubt I could put up with another PNWS podcast unless the performances and dialog were a lot better than TBT. I know Magnus Archives gets recommended a lot, and I'm gonna start Limetown, but any other strong recommendations? I need more supernatural horror in my life, especially something with a bigger picture storyline, which seems like TBT's biggest issue to me.

I liked the two GE Theater podcasts, The Message and Life After. Plus each series is a self-contained story, so no dragging things along like the PNWS stuff.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

New Leaf posted:

I want to say first and foremost that I don't have any problem with this at all. That said, I've noticed that a lot of fictional podcast characters are LGBT.. Cecil and Carlos from Night Vale are no secret of course, but if you've read the book and pay attention to some of the side plots, most of the town seems to be gay or bi too. Now listening to the Bright Sessions, (spoilers for anyone who isn't up to date) Chloe is asexual, Mark is bi, Adam is gay, Caleb is.. something, bi maybe? There was some suspicion on Sam's part about Damien possibly being gay or bi or forcing Mark to do something. It's just strange that most of the more popular fictional podcasts are made up almost entirely of people on some sort of atypical sexual spectrum. Again, not a judgement, just an observation.

I laughed really hard in the second season of Ars Paradoxica when Sally made a huge point of proclaiming how she's asexual and then trying to explain that to someone from the 1940s. As if she wasn't already an amalgamation of enough annoying nerd tropes.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Turtlicious posted:

Do you guys know of any other really good serialized fiction podcasts, or a repository of some sort that I could browse through that is much of the same stuff? I prefer comedy, but will definitely go for weird.

I'll add Limetown, plus the two GE Theater podcast mini-series (The Message and Life After).

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

cool kids inc. posted:

Speaking of Tanis, I really really enjoyed rabbits, but couldn't really even finish the first episode of Tanis. Is it worth plowing through the first bits?

I feel like if the beginning of Tanis doesn't get you, the subsequent stuff won't - in terms of interest, and especially focus, it has progressively less and less of a return.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Yeah, it makes me laugh when Tanis is always described as "the last mystery of the information age" because that's just laughably pretentious on its own, but the entire premise is that Tanis is connected to like fifty million actual unsolved mysteries that are still mysteries in the information age. But I agree with New Leaf, I liked just listening to it, at least when it was largely talking about stuff like the Voynich Manuscript rather than Nic wandering in the woods worried about a corporate conspiracy.

• Locked thread