Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rob Filter
Jan 19, 2009
I want to say first and foremost that I don't have any problem with this at all. That said, I've noticed that a lot of fictional television characters are straight. Homer and Marge from The Simpsons are no secret of course, but if you've watched the movie and pay attention to some of the side plots, most of the town seems to be straight or heterosexual too. Now watching veronica mars, (spoilers for anyone who isn't up to date) Veronica is straight, Logan is straight, Duncan is straight, Kieth Mars is.. something, straight maybe? There was some suspicion on Veronica's part about Duncan possibly being straight or heterosexual or forcing Veronica to do something. It's just strange that most of the more popular television channels are made up almost entirely of people on some sort of atypically straight sexual spectrum. Again, not a judgement, just an observation.

I have zero problem with tv characters being straight or straight or straight or straight or straight or furries or if they can only get off to hermit crabs. Just make it make it fit the story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rob Filter
Jan 19, 2009

New Leaf posted:

Way to miss the point.

It's not that they're gay or bi or asexual, it's how it's introduced to the story. Everything I mentioned is legitimately lazy.

Since my post was too subtle, ill be explicit:

1. There aren't "alot" of queer characters in podcasts, there are very few queer characters in mainstream (i.e. censored) media, like tv. Podcast queerness is what you get when censorship isn't making stories straight. You've gotten used to a false normal!

2. Comparing queer people to bestiality is bad, and its what you did, albeit somewhat muted by the fact you use (unintentionally hilariously) hermit crabs. Still not good, don't do this.

Rob Filter
Jan 19, 2009

prussian advisor posted:

I'm pretty sure Magnus Archives is my favorite podcast I've ever listened to. I binged the entire run of the show over the last couple weeks. Are there any other horror podcasts with a similar level of quality? Similar things? Wolf 359 is fun but a lot more light and whimsical...mostly.

Archive 81 is a horror podcast, and is similar in premise to the Magnus Archives while being its own, completely different thing.

The podcast begins with the protagonist starting his new job; archiving some recordings. In an abandoned military bunker. Deep in a forest. In complete isolation.

I won't spoil anything else, but its great. The audio engineering is fantastic, the writing is good, and the cast are excellent voice actors, especially in S2 where the main cast is greatly expanded.

• Locked thread