Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Let's talk about how Edict Zero - FIS is the freaking best but it has a slow burn that's so slow you can get white hairs by the time you catch up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

Hughlander posted:

I listen to almost all of my podcasts with Overcast with Smart Speed and Speed Boost (Drop dead noise and increase speed.) I couldn't get past the first Edict Zero episode because I couldn't find a speed that wasn't either too fast or too slow based on who was talking. Is it REALLY worth listening to at normal speed? I dropped it within an hour for that.

My own notes on the cast: they reuse the actors a lot so sometimes it's easy to confuse who's what. Agent Kircher is pretty grating in the beginning. The first two or three bits with Captain Socrates are hard to listen to but he later becomes one of the consistently best characters. The Ambassador(s)... you just gotta roll with it, it grows on you.

I listen to story podcasts at normal speed and audiobooks a bit quicker, I think it's the way they are narrated.

Kraps fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Aug 21, 2016

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

voltron lion force posted:

I just finished season 2 of black tapes and while I agree that it pretty much sucks I kinda couldn't stop listening once I got deep enough into it.

They do this thing like every episode that is so dumb that I can't imagine it has gone unnoticed.

"Alex, take a look at this..."
Pause for 10 seconds while dramatic music plays
"Wow, its that thing"

Like we can't see the thing guys, you have to describe it for us first, then cut to the pause for dramatic effect music so we can be shocked.

Ive been thinking about this since reading a review of Edict Zero, what should shows do about things in the "middle distance"? Say, action sequence or moving to a room next door.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

psychopomp posted:

Thanks for the kind words! We're wrapping up post-production (should have a teaser out soon) and it does sound a lot better, so hopefully fewer blown out eardrums.

Hey, I'm in the middle and enjoying the show, nice work.

This is probably beyond your ken but uh would Florence still have a British accent?

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

Turtlicious posted:

Anyone have opinions on "The Lift"

Haven't listened much but it's pretty decent snippets of horror, the throughline of the Victoria and the building and their testing people's morals is interesting.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

ars PARADOXICA's last episode was very nice/tragic but I'm not sure where they're going with it. Seems like they finished the story of Sally Grissom and are now just doing vignettes of ODAR employees getting their lives ruined in various interesting ways.

also, Wooden Overcoats is back baby!

Kraps fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Oct 31, 2016

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

Yo, check out Terms

quote:

On election night, two-term president Oliver Pierce watches in disbelief from the White House as Charles Dunwalke wins a controversial electoral college victory. With only 73 days before Dunwalke’s inauguration, president Pierce makes a secret decision to act, with historic and possibly catastrophic consequences.
http://wondery.com/wondery/shows/terms/

It has really good production and acting, and don't worry about it being like irl, for one thing POTUS and PEOTUS are Republican, and Dunwalke may actually be Hitler???

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

Solid Poopsnake posted:

I just did my second listen-through of Within the Wires, and it's still amazing. I'm extremely particular, and the first episode was annoying, but once you understand that information will be

iterated

many times

you will

listen

remember

comprehend

In the next exercise, you are going to stop breathing.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

Oh my gosh an episode of Wolf 359 based on Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, how can I love this show even more.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

Ornamented Death posted:

It's amazing how consistently good the Magnus Archives is. Some episodes are stronger than others, but I can't think of any that were bad.

I have to wonder if a (large) contributing factor to that is the difference in mindset between Brits and Americans. The Rusty Quill guys have been consistent in saying they have a five-season arc for TMA, and it's obvious that knowing in advance where your end point is is a huge benefit for pacing and whatnot. Compare that to most any American-made horror podcast, where they seem to start with some fairly clear story goals, but as soon as they get a little bit of popularity, all that goes out the window as they try to milk it for everything they can (just how many Patreon campaigns do these people expect fans to back?). The Black Tapes and TANIS are probably the worst offenders, though Small Town Horror is going down this route, and Archive 81 is going...somewhere (this one may turn out to be good, of course, but the drastic shift in direction is worrisome).

I think thanks to serious competition by Netflix and Amazon, TV producers in the US are more open to seasons and series that are less than 26 episodes per season long, which British TV has been doing much longer. Hopefully this trickles down to drama podcasts, more than it already has.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

Wolf359: hey remember that funny episode where the aliens copied Eiffel's voice? Let's make an episode like that again except this time it'll be horribly depressing!

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

psychopomp posted:

Just released the last episode of Synesthesia Theatre's season 2, Cold Reboot. We've got a cast interview/behind the scenes episode and a one-off story or two, but there'll be a general hiatus while we fund-raise for season 3. Really going to try and write the next one with fewer than a dozen actors. Full-cast is a blast but scheduling a dozen people who all have day jobs over a few weekends is a beast.

Woah hey I just finished the first episode, sounds really good, gonna binge it now :)

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

So in order to stop one potential despot President Pierce installs his own despotism fuckin lol

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I assume this is from that drama that sounded like lovely House of Cards/'WHAT I TOTALLY WOULDA DONE IF I WAS OBAMA' Sorkin style fanfic?

Yeah. Well it was good till this episode.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

Amateur Sketch posted:

Wooden Overcoats is a good comedy serial. It's about competing funeral homes in a small British village. (Well, I say small.. it's very nearly a town!) The neurotic siblings who have run Funn Funerals their whole lives try to keep afloat against the charming newcomer across the square, usually via some harebrained scheme that goes awry. There's 2 seasons released already, not sure if a third is in the works yet or not.

Enjoy yourselves!

mrfreeze posted:

Just found out there is a 2 hour Wolf 359 special available when you use some new app they are beta testing called "Spoke"! It will hopefully scratch the itch until the new season starts.

The Spoke app is in beta and hot garbage but the special is really good. The Wolf 359 folks have a good thing with their show.

Kraps fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jun 30, 2017

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

Only because he's a fictional character, I have a lot of respect for him because none of the crew's speechifying works on him because he absolutely agrees that he's a lovely person doing lovely things, but he never wavers from doing them because his ends justify his means.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

No season 2 of Terms yet, which I would listen to despite the nonsense way s1 ended, because the quality is so high. I was thinking they could have had the PEOTUS shot just as he was swearing in, which would ground it more in reality and add another layer of intrigue.

• Locked thread