Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

rotinaj posted:

I gave Tanis a listen off this recommendation, and its really good so far! I'm only three episodes in, and I only have one criticism of it, and that's the extremely distracting bleeping of the name of the lady found dead in an LA hotel water tower. Isn't that common knowledge? I've heard the story at least three times on other podcasts, and that edit doesn't make sense to me.

It's really good otherwise.

Some of the writing is extremely poor as well, particularly around Meerkatnip (that loving name, for one). Also the fact that someone clearly tries to do something really nefarious by hacking the guys computer and sending emails, and he literally does nothing about it, barely bats an eye. It's puzzling to say the least.

Using the water tower incident was in extremely poor taste as well.

The black tapes, in contrast were extremely good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

ManMythLegend posted:

I really didn't like this one at all. It started strong, but went off the rails very quickly. It suffers very badly from poor characters, plot threads that go no where, terrible technobabble, and an eye roll inducing "twist". Blah. You're right: at least it was short.

For those who are curious I would steer clear of this one.

You guys aren't kidding. It is one of the laziest, most unnecessary, idiotic deus ex machina I've ever seen in any sort of fiction. It's basically the podcast equivalent of a bad JRPG where some random person shows up and yells. "I WAS THE REAL VILLAIN ALL ALONG" and runs away before anything else happens.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

rotinaj posted:

Tanis is clearly in the Murky Middle, a place where you know where the ending is, and you're heading there, and you're past the new-car smell of the beginning, but you're stuck in this weird in-between place.

The most recent episode showed this, and the two things I hate the most, with the host being utterly dismissive of thinking any deeper into what's going on(Blowing off WEIRD PEOPLE FOLLOWING HIM AND WATCHING HIM AND BREAKING INTO HIS PLACE AND USING HIS COMPUTER TO TRY TO LURE HIS RESEARCH PARTNER TO AN UNKNOWN MEETING, JESUS gently caress) and repeating every statement with a question mark as a bad way to lead them to explain themselves.

Also, the most recent ep had a supposedly creepy abandoned town in it and while I was listening, I was snickering because Limetown did it so much better.

I hope they can get to things happening soon.

It bugged me so loving much when someone used his email to try to set up a fake meeting with MK and then they LITERALLY STOP TALKING ABOUT IT as if it were nothing. Like what is wrong with this guy? And the stupid Charles Manson stuff from this last episode really put a sour taste in my mouth.

"Hey guys you like Charlie Manson right? Well do we have the story for you! Bet you can't wait to hear all about good ole' charlie!!! Guess you'll have to wait till next episode, sorry"

Like just tell your story, come on.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

For those of you who were into it, season 2 of The Black Tapes started today, though I thought the episode was pretty bad, compared to the stuff season 1 was doing. Hopefully it gets better.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

effervescible posted:

Does the host have to explain again that a podcast is radio for the internet, and is Dr. Strand again inexplicably chill with really personal stuff that makes him look bad airing on the show?

No. The host explains that a podcast is radio for the internet and Dr. Strand is inexplicably not chill with really personal stuff that makes him look bad airing on the show.

It's very different.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

calandryll posted:

I like the concepts from both Tanis and Black tapes but drat if their dialogue isn't stilted. The Black Tapes had gotten a bit better but it still feels really awkward.

I feel like the Black Tapes have gotten way worse, the new season has been downright bad.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Hughlander posted:

Download the Black Tapes

What else is worth the time?

Not the Black Tapes, that's for sure!

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Jurgan posted:

Tanis season two just started. Nic Silver is having trouble sleeping. Great, we really needed another insomnia subplot.

Don't worry, he'll take a few weeks off soon to catch up on his rest.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

God, The Black Tapes started out so good, how the gently caress did it get so bad this fast?

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Tanis and the Black Tapes had two very different problems. In Tanis, it's unbearable because Nick is a loving idiot who seems like he should barely be able to function in daily life, let alone investigate something. Also the twist they stuffed into season one sucked.

Black Tapes just can't decide if it wants to be a Monster of the Week show or not. For what it's worth, I really liked most of season one when it was actually just a monster of the week show.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

For some reason I decided to re-listen to the early episodes of the Black Tapes again, and god drat that podcast was good before they tried to force any over-arching story into the whole thing.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Terrible Opinions posted:

I listened to the first four episodes of the Box and boy howdy is it garbage. Do not listen unless you're really that desperate for modern anthology horror and have finished every other such podcast ever recommended in this thread.

I am listening to that and I loving lost it when a man who I am just going to assume is Resident Evil Character Barry Burton yelled "WHAT THE HELL IS THAT?".

e: The gently caress is this lovely monologue. I don't know you or care about you lady I don't want to know about your stupid college experience.

ee: This is such garbage. Shame on you, poster who thought this was good.

Paul Zuvella fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jan 3, 2017

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Listened to Mabel, I was pretty into it. I'm a little disappointed that the story did not really resolve as much as it did just... end. I was a little disheartened that there was going to be a season two, but they are going with a new distinct story, and not trying to do Black Tapes Bullshit with it.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

theblackw0lf posted:

Wait they are ending that story there? It seems really incomplete.

They released a teaser for the new season and it's an Irish woman reading letters, so maybe it's related but I doubt it.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

having a main character with the name "meerkatnip" was one of the things that made me hate Tanis because of how stupid it is.

Also now the main character fucks a human being he exclusivly refers to as "Meerkatnip" makes me wish Tanis never existed.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Jurgan posted:

I don't know, it seems totally plausible that someone would use that as an online handle.

Except Nick exists in the real world, and treats this person like a friend and colligue. And fucks her.

And still refers to her through her dumbass, 12 year old live journal name. It's loving bananas.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

If you ever put your dick into someone who you exclusively know as "meerkatnip" you have probably hosed up really, really badly in life.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

DoctorWhat posted:

Tanis, for all its faults, has atmosphere.

My bathroom has atmosphere too, but at least my shits have the decency to have an ending.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Jurgan posted:

I think "Tanis did 9/11" is when the show jumped the shark for me, and the Voynich Manuscript was when I quit altogether.

There is no loving way there was a "tanis did 9/11" episode I refuse to believe it.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Tanis would have to turn into the greatest piece of fiction ever to get me to listen again after their dumbass wet fart of an attempt at a twist in season 1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

This is why you don't donate to patreons or kickstarters or indiegogos or anything.

• Locked thread