Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That's always been really interesting, to me at least. Due to the rise of the internet, and free media in general, as consumers, we've been consuming more and more free podcasts, videos, and "Entertaniment" stuff. More small time actors / podcasters have been able to make money, get a piece of popularity, and so feel beholden to their users for that attention. This has caused those people to share more and more of their intimate details with people, creating this weird relationship between the viewer and the host.

You see it a lot with LP'rs, and "actual play" people like Critical Role "Hey guys, let me tell you about my very personal battle with cancer, and how chemo is causing the liquid shits, but don't worry, we're still playing Thursday. It's the only thing I have left in my life." "Hahaha your so silly please continue to provide entertainment."

It's getting more and more prevalent too, it makes me feel old because it creeps me the gently caress out.

This long as gently caress post is to say, yeah I kind of just assumed they needed more time for writing, not like a personal thing they posted about on the internet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If I loved Limetown, and Welcome to Nightvale, where do I go to get more of...

That.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Len posted:

Night Vale: the early stuff was the best but as it went from weird town stuff to the Cecil/Carlos show I began to lose interest. I can see why people would like that but I was there for the Twilight Zoney happenings not the radio hosts private life.

This is set up for poo poo later, it goes back to what it was in a bit.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Terrible Opinions posted:

It still becomes a lot more comedy and longer story arc focused. Some of the original charm is lost forever once the weird stuff of the first few episodes become established setting elements.

I feel like it become better for it though.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Len posted:

When is in a bit? I think the last one I listened to was the heist episode.

Literally the next episode is the one that I imagine as "return to good nightvale."

72 Well of Night

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm finished with Limetown, Welcome to Nightvale, Alice isn't Dead, and am subscribed to Within the Wires.

Help, what do I listen to next? I can't go to work without a podcast, and these have been like the only things I've listened too.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wake_N_Bake posted:

Try Archive 81 and The Truth. The No Sleep Podcast is horror, if that's your thing.

Holy poo poo, I loooove Archive 81 now, I think I'm going to try The Truth, and then No Sleep Podcast

E: No sleep has this weird tongue clicking/slime sound after every word that drives me nuts. Not going with that one.

Going to try the Truth next.

Turtlicious fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jul 6, 2016

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The Bright Tapes are amazing.

The Truth was kind of lame, but I like a more overarching plot, so ymmv.

Going to also try Wolf 359

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tatum Girlparts posted:

yea with lesbians it's fine, come on guys you know the rules

I have no idea why this made me laugh so hard, but it did. Sometimes I forget SA is a comedy forum.

The Bright Tapes are awesome, so next up is Scoop Hound, and Wolf 359

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hobo Clown posted:

The performance just feels very wooden, like she's reading off the page as she speaks. It's more noticeable when she's opposite Lauren Shippen, who obviously is much more familiar with the material.

As I said though I'm still pretty early in, so maybe it gets better.

She sounds like a clinical therapist, or at least like the few we had in the group homes. She's pretty spot on I think.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Well I think I'm out of podcasts. That's what I get for working a 9 hour a day job lol. Here's what I've though of each so far.

1.) Limetown

Limetown was the first "Audio Drama" podcast I had ever listened too. I'm glad I started here, because nothing really matches the quality, execution, or wonder that I felt when I listened too it. This series was gripping, and without spoiling too much the way they ended it really blew me away. It's an amazing series, and I recommend everyone go pick it up. Of course, it's also one of the most popular Audio Drama podcasts, so... You probably have already heard of it, and want more. Limetown is seriously good, it's serious, and while a bit predictable, the journey it takes you on is by and large the most temestuous, in a good way though.

2.) The Bright Sessions

The premise on this one is what really grabbed me, Dr. Bright is a psychologist for people with super-powers who are trying to live normal day to day lives. It had the kind of wholesome "X-Men" feel you got from the comic books, when they were practicing how to control their powers. Dr. Bright has an extremely believable performance that blew me away. I really enjoyed it. The series also benefits from having a Psychologist on set to make sure that both the characters and interactions were on point, the series shined immensely from it, and I was extremely impressed with the attention to detail.

3.) Wolf 359

I'm like... 2 episodes into this out of 43, but the first thing I think of when I listen to this is "Red Dwarf," like every time I hear Doug Eiffel, and Renee Minkowski talk, I can't stop thinking of Arnold and Dave. It's played more straight the Red Dwarf, but it's still got that quirky comedic vibe going that helps me get through my soul crushing job. They've also got some cool science stuff as well. I'm not as far into the series, so not as many words.

4.) Archive 81

I liked Archive 81 for the mystery it unfolds. It presents itself via recordings of recordings, and it plays with the medium a lot. I love Archive 81 and the way you get bits and pieces of the same story from different points is one of those writing tools that I personally enjoy a lot. (Pulp fiction is one of my favorite movies for this very reason!) The voice acting isn't the best, but the guy really grows into it the more he tries at it, so I'd recommend sticking with it! This is all about a guy taking tapes and digitizing them, about a place where mysteries happen. Vague because I want to avoid spoilers.

5.) Scoop Hound

Scoop Hound was sold to me as, "Welcome to Night Vale, played straight." It hits the notes very well, and I feel like the guy spent the first episode or two trying to ape Welcome to Night Vale's style, by the third or fourth, he's managed to seriously evolve it into it's own thing. One that I actually find preferable to Welcome to Night Vale. It was a huge surprise to me and I didn't really realize it until I numbered my list, but I think Scoop Hound capture's Night Vale's style better then Night Vale did, and by playing it straight, manages to create a deeper sense of dread and adventure.

6.) Alice isn't dead

This is from the same guy who did Welcome to Night Vale. It's also really good, but it's played straighter, while lightly brushing up against the super natural, instead of bathing whole hog in it. I found this podcast lacking some character growth and sustenance, but it was still awesome enough to keep me listening. I liked listening to the character fighting with her sense of loss and loneliness, and it spoke to me a lot. It's pretty great!

7.) Welcome to Night Vale

I didn't really expect to see this so low on my list! Everyone has probably heard of Welcome to Night Vale, it's weird, catchy, and comedic, all while played extremely straight. It's not so much dark, as whacky with a bit of edge. I enjoy Night Vale for what it is, a weekly radio broadcast from a small town that deals with Lovecraftian horrors. Without the racism. There's about 20 episodes in the 90 episode series, that revolve heavily around a gay partnership. This bothers some people a lot. If you are not one of those people, I think you'll enjoy this one. It's very random, not in a "Lol monkey cheese" way, but it does try very hard to mix up your expectations about things. I would definitely recommend giving the first few episodes a try to see if your part of it's extremely wide audience.

8.) Within the Wires

This is 30 minute poetry sessions with very tiny bits of story sprinkled in, at the absolute most random times. I no longer play these at work, because it's really easy to miss the substantial stuff. It seems like the creator of Alice isn't Dead, and Welcome to Night Vale is trying something extremely experimental, and we'll have to wait for a few more episodes to see if it shakes out as something good, but I do find it very fun to sit and listen and try to piece the puzzle together, between the weird poetic bits.

So that's what I think of the last 8 podcasts I listened too, do you guys have any comments? Or even better, suggestions for new ones to listen too?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Typing out the statements causes "weird transcription" errors.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Anyone have opinions on "The Lift"

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Len posted:

I have a question for those of you who do podcasts. I don't have a frame of reference for how much a podcast costs to make so when they talk about how much they cost to make it's just kind of meaningless words. About how much does it cost to make a podcast?

I think it's more the time involved? Like a dude and they're friends spend a shitton of time writing everything out. The equipment, the really nice equipment can cost a few thousand dollars, there are cheaper alternatives though, and a lot of people seem to be able to work around it. If they book a professional studio, (so a guy does audio editting and everything,) They get charged anywhere between 50 and 500 $ an hour. Which is also crazy.

They're not cheap, unless you don't care about audio quality, then you just drop 100$ on a yeti, and another 50$ on sound proofing a closet and record there.

Did anyone listen to the Magnus Archives episode this week? It was amazing. And they got some legit laughs out of me too.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is there anything good like Alba Salix Royal Physician?

It's a Fantasy Medical Show. It's rad as hell, but they only did one season in 2014, and I want something like it.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Holy poo poo.

The sound design of Edict Zero - FIS is loving phenomenal.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Have you guys found anything that has that "Evil Dead" feel, where it really toes the line between Comedy and Horror.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Do I have to listen to The Black Tapes to get into Tanis? Or can I jump right in?

Also, I think I'm wrapping up on all the good podcasts :ohdear:

On my completed / in progress list I have:

Wolf 359
Welcome to Nightvale
Kakos Industries
Alice Isn't Dead
The Bright Sessions
Within The Wires
Scoop Hound
Archive 81
King Falls AM
The Magnus Archives
The Lift
The Orbiting Human Circus
Edict Zero: FIS
Scotch
EOS 10
Alba Salix, Royal Physician

I mean what is even left that people have made that I might like?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Catching up on my podcasts, and I was actually holding my breath during Wolf 359, Episode: 42.

Holy poo poo.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Len posted:

What if I don't like it when those happen too? Because hamfisted shoehorned in love stories and sex scenes are just the worst.

I like them, because romance, even bad romance, is cute :3:

Like seriously don't care if it's hetero samurai, gay cowboys, or lesbian space rocks. Romance is just adorable and should be celebrated.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There's nothing wrong with wanting to gently caress hermit crabs anyway, tightest handjob in the world.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Can I buy into the backer stuff if I wanted too, or is there no way to get a taste of the New Crew?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

New Leaf posted:

Way to miss the point.

It's not that they're gay or bi or asexual, it's how it's introduced to the story. Everything I mentioned is legitimately lazy.

Which podcast is it lazy in? I found it pretty good in, The Bright Tapes.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hey guys, I'm currently caught up and am looking for more podcasts to add to my ever growing list of content, here's what I've liked so far:

Wolf 359
Welcome to Nightvale
Within the wires
Kakos Industries
The Bright Sessions
Archive 81
King Falls AM
The Magnus Archives
The Orbiting Human Circus
Edict Zero: FIS
EOS: 10

Do you guys know of any other really good serialized fiction podcasts, or a repository of some sort that I could browse through that is much of the same stuff? I prefer comedy, but will definitely go for weird.

Oh man, I'm so stoked, Alba Salix: Royal Physician is getting a season 2!

Turtlicious fucked around with this message at 10:03 on May 11, 2017

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Limetown frustrates me because it's been years without any follow up.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So I just found out about Archive 81 season 2, and decided to listen to it.

What.

The.

gently caress?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's tummy feels mostly, I liked Limetown a lot gave them money (when they were begging for it,) and got nothing in return afterwards. I'm happy I helped them, but I was expecting season 2 in a couple of years, I'd much rather they did what Fink did where they immediately branched out and made a media empire. Instead they are writing a book (which will be for sale,) a TV show (Which you'll need to pay for,) and then there doing a "Full Feature Length Musical Podcast" which is like... 1 episode of Edict Zero? I just donate to a lot of different patreons, I get a lot for my money, and I felt kind of screwed by Limetown (which doesn't take donations anymore btw.)

I always was kind of bitter, because it was "hey give us money for more content," and the content never came.

Turtlicious fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Jun 18, 2017

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jurgan posted:

Yeah, that makes sense. Obviously my Bart Simpson quote doesn't apply if you gave them money. Still, I don't understand what you mean by "I was expecting season 2 in a couple of years." It's been one and a half years since the last episode, so aren't they on track for what you were expecting?

I've been under the impression all their side projects has killed limetown.

BUT

Able Salix Royal Physician might be coming back, and I'm stoked for that, and hopefully someday we'll see more EOS10

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The OP hasn't posted in this thread since 2016, it's been a couple of years, we may need a new thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There are no rules to making new threads, as far as I know, you just make the new thread, drop a link and ask a mod to close this one.

• Locked thread