Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
meselfs
Sep 26, 2015

The body may die, but the soul is always rotten
Tell us about things you need that aren't normally acceptably for long outings in the wilderness.

My thing is a 12 oz double wall stainless steel cup. Doesn't matter if it's a quick out and back or if it's an overnighter far & high away likely to involve altitude sickness, I take it with me, I gotta have my tea and I need to take my goddam time drinking it without it getting cold. Probably doesn't match the weightless titanium pot the tea is made in very well. When sleeping system is not deployed. I keep the alcohol stove accessible so that if I encounter a stream I can make some teeeeee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Handgun. If Westerns taught me anything, it is that no bedroll is complete without a pistol in arm's reach.

Pyro Fox
Aug 22, 2013

Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
Since I love hiking in the snow, I always have Ski gloves, some Low Gaiters to keep my pant legs dry, and ICETrekkers in my car.

It snows in my state maybe once every 5 years....

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Butch Cassidy posted:

Handgun. If Westerns taught me anything, it is that no bedroll is complete without a pistol in arm's reach.

To be fair a 44. Magnum will scare bears more than shouting or bear spray.

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
I take a little GPS thing "in case i get lost" but its really so i can sperg out with the data in google maps post-hike :nerd:

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Barnyard Protein posted:

I take a little GPS thing "in case i get lost" but its really so i can sperg out with the data in google maps post-hike :nerd:

Which one, I wanna do the same.

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
"garmin foretrex 401" is so nice that i bought it twice. It doesn't have maps or anything, but you can do the normal setting of waypoints and stuff through the software, and download your tracks and display them on google maps.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Barnyard Protein posted:

"garmin foretrex 401" is so nice that i bought it twice. It doesn't have maps or anything, but you can do the normal setting of waypoints and stuff through the software, and download your tracks and display them on google maps.

Cool, thanks. My entire area is infested with deer so I spend a lot of time wandering down deer trails, it would be cool to make a little map of them.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010
My staff.

I'd rather use a nice TRekk pole than 2 poles, better balance, and it swings easier in stride.

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
I always take my dog, he is a lazy little bastard and usually starts his fake-limp 30 minutes in. How do I know its fake? because it magically goes away when we turn around to head back to the trail head.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Snowpeak Mini Hozuki.

In deep summer when fire bans are on, the warm, natural light from this thing has done a great job of keeping spirits high.

Every other lantern I've seen has been too bright, white LED light that everyone immediately wants turned off.

Femtosecond fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Dec 30, 2015

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

This inflatable solar powered LED lamp also seems pretty cool for that if space and weight are at a premium. Pretty niche, but if you're in a sunny enough place it's provides good ambient lighting. Or so I hear. It's not the first thing on my 'nice to have' list but for 15 bucks I might throw it onto an upcoming amazon order.

Mathlete
Nov 30, 2005

It's hip to be a squared square.
its hard to go anywhere without my alienware 15" gaming laptop. its nice for watching dvds in my tent or playing a few steam games before going to sleep

best thing is that you can replace the battery with a screwdriver. otherwise it only lasts about 4 hours on full graphics settings lol

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
Personal opinion here but IMHO you should leave the laptop at home. Let the stars be your laptop IMHO.

meselfs
Sep 26, 2015

Barnyard Protein posted:

Me too, I use a Delorme inReach. Mine's even more useless because I don't sperg the data, I only carry it to make the wife more comfortable with me being far away.

Another one from me, Swiss army watch, the band removed to work as a pocket-watch.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I tend to bring less and less every trip I go on.

I've slimmed down a lot but I tend to still bring my lovely hammock that I never use on nearly every trip in hopes that one day I just kick back and relax for an afternoon ... but it never happens.

Boko Haram
Dec 22, 2008

Get the gear!

I really only bring wet wipes, my camera, off-spray, and a big bottle of water/water filter. Never used the survival water filter yet, I usually stop by places with pottable water if I find them.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

In 2002 I drew a hand-face on a Wilson tennis ball for a cross-country road trip. He's been with me on longer outings ever since.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
I have a travel journal. Yes, I'm that fag.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

A solar charging panel for my three cameras.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Picnic Princess posted:

A solar charging panel for my three cameras.

Same.

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003

VendaGoat posted:

That sounds legit. When I was in the boy scouts like 20 years ago they made us sit a mile apart from each other on a trail for 5 hours and just write down everything we saw. P cool way to appreciate nature imo.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Journals are awesome. I kept a daily journal when I was on field school and then travelling for 2 months total, I wrote down EVERYTHING because I had my laptop. The document is over 30,000 words and 54 pages long even though I never really finished the final two weeks.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
i bring my camera and lenses which are made of brass and glass and steel, and weigh like 20 lbs

and then my carbon fiber tripod which weighs like 5 lbs

and then my light meters which weigh like 1 lb

gotta have em

Vimm
Nov 6, 2013

I like to bring a book. Reading by a fire is so nice.

Mofabio
May 15, 2003
(y - mx)*(1/(inf))*(PV/RT)*(2.718)*(V/I)
nook glowlight. no internet means i can read nonfiction :/

TheGreySpectre
Sep 18, 2012

You let the wolves in. Why would you do that?

VendaGoat posted:

One of the people I go rafting with has a trip journal. It's actually incredibly useful as she has detailed notes on what camps were good at what water levels, what rapids are washed out or bigger then normal and stuff like that.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Vimm posted:

I like to bring a book. Reading by a fire is so nice.

I like to bring a book. Starting a fire is so much easier.

black children
Dec 14, 2009
sometimes i fill my backpack with rocks just to make life harder

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG
Minimalist fly-fishing gear and a soprano uke.

Killing Flies
Jun 30, 2007

We've got to have rules and obey them. After all, we're not savages. We're English, and the English are best at everything.

black children posted:

This, but broken glass.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

black children posted:

I've been going on grandma hikes lately with a friend who has a baby and is not fit, and I load a ton of heavy crap inside and use it as conditioning hikes for when I do real ones. I also collect rocks for my rock garden so I come back with a heavier pack than I started with.

meselfs
Sep 26, 2015

I'd mention my 3.5 year old, but she's not useless :3:

But yes, a good sweaty extra 35 lbs is nice to have sometimes.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

my shriveled, pathetic penis

Garmann
Nov 4, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I bring an inflatable pillow. Yeah i could just use a sweater or something in a bag but drat it weights so little and it's so nice to have a nice firm pillow with neck support.

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

CHILD RAPE IS FINE WHEN I LIKE THE RAPIST

Garmann posted:

I bring an inflatable pillow. Yeah i could just use a sweater or something in a bag but drat it weights so little and it's so nice to have a nice firm pillow with neck support.

I've found that I sweat terribly when using mine unless I cover it with a couple cloth layers

post-apocalyptic erotica
Jan 28, 2013
I always have a first aid knife, a food knife, and a general purpose knife. That seems fine at first glance but it's really too many knives.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

steve cardigan posted:

too many knives.

Haha good one.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

steve cardigan posted:

I always have a first aid knife, a food knife, and a general purpose knife. That seems fine at first glance but it's really too many knives.

A first aid knife? What, do you just cut off the part that's bleeding?

"If we go deep enough, there's no more blood! We just gotta get it all out first"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
hmm that's a nasty looking scrape better cut it out *flicks open knife*

• Locked thread