Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vug
Jan 23, 2015

by Cowcaster
thinking of doing it this spring but i was wondering if anyone knows-
* http://www.nationaltrail.co.uk/pennine-way/routes - is that 16 day route plan good? e.g. has anyone used it, is it hard, etc. i can do 25 miles of moderate/easy terrain in a day pretty easily but a couple of years ago (while being generally very sedentary) i hosed my knees up trying to do 27 miles on quite tough terrain. i got most of the way round but i was definitely injured and wasn't ok to hike again the next day. i suppose i wouldn't just do it cold though. i'm not sure if my knees have improved now but i have poles and they help anyway
* i've got a little one man tent and stuff for wild camping, is it worth taking it? i know there are some parts of the route that are quite far from towns so it seems like camping at the side of the trail might be nice some nights. im not planning on hauling a shitload of food and stuff around (just stock up in towns etc), but i've got a 48 litre pack that i took to snowdonia last autumn which seemed about right

vug fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Dec 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

You can hike 25 miles in a day? That is pretty impressive. I feel like 10-15 mpd is pretty good while back packing.

vug
Jan 23, 2015

by Cowcaster
To qualify that was with only a light pack, on fairly flat terrain (one or two hills), and it took about 7 or 8 hours, something like that.
What I should probably do is hike the first day (14 miles, over a big hill) next time I'm around there and see how I find that

vug
Jan 23, 2015

by Cowcaster
i did the usual day 2 of the trail as a test run yesterday (crowden to standedge, 12 miles, and i didn't take any gear at all, took about 5 hours), pics here
http://imgur.com/a/HBg1q

i think it varies from one part of the trail to another but it's not really what you would call hill walking. there was a steep climb to the top of laddow rocks near the start but it was fairly flat after that. it looks like generally there are decent enough facilities along the trail but stuff might be closed so you've got to sort it out in advance. not sure if i'd bother with a tent or not if i was doing the whole thing, it might be more fun if i just took a sleeping bag in a day pack and relied on hotels and cabins

if i get chance while i'm up here i might do day 1 backwards (crowden to edale) because it's a bit tougher

Refried Noodle
Feb 23, 2012

Nice images. How is the accomodation on the road? And what season would you recommend? I did the Camino a couple years back, and I'm looking for another nice long hike for coming may. This looks like interesting landscape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vug
Jan 23, 2015

by Cowcaster

Refried Noodle posted:

Nice images. How is the accomodation on the road? And what season would you recommend? I did the Camino a couple years back, and I'm looking for another nice long hike for coming may. This looks like interesting landscape.

May sounds pretty ideal really. The cotton grass should be out then. You want a decent amount of daylight and a less rainy time of year. Apparently most of the route has campsites and/or youth hostels (towards the end there is a long stretch of no accommodation because it's the borders, literally the arse end of nowhere, but there are cabins apparently)

• Locked thread