Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

oh, it's a harness? hahahahaha, toot toot pack mule comin through!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mathlete
Nov 30, 2005

It's hip to be a squared square.
but it is recommended by "the canadian prepper" :raise:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RmeNtT6saQ

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

You know that feeling when you're embarrassed when something really terrible exists and you hate yourself for knowing about it

yeah I'm getting that right now

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Screw the haters. I'd use one of those if I was gonna camp for like a week away from (legal) vehicle access. You think I'm gonna make more than two trips?

Keg
Sep 22, 2014
Instead of writing Facebook updates from his phone he would write updates in his journal and take a photo with his phone and then post that.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
One of my favorite hiking/fishing tails is a flat canal towpath and that dumb thing would be perfect for through hiking it.

Macasaurus
Oct 12, 2012

you could also hike without a mountain of garbage you don't need

i guess a wok and pizza stone are necessary camping items to some people though

Pookum
Mar 5, 2011

gaming is life
hiking goon with shopping cart full of pizza MREs

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Macasaurus posted:

you could also hike without a mountain of garbage you don't need

i guess a wok and pizza stone are necessary camping items to some people though

Food for 15 days is a bit much to carry. Also my dumb state banned grain alcohol so I have to carry fuel and booze.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

bongwizzard posted:

I ran into a couple who were hiking from Pittsburgh to DC, pushing and pulling this huge garden cart done up to look like an old covered wagon. They we like 20 miles out side of DC so clearly cart hiking is possible. They were Jesusfreak hippies so maybe that gave them the will to do it.

There is a very nice crushed limestone bike trail with very little slope that runs all the way from Pittsburgh to DC so it's actually a half decent terrain for pulling a cart.

I'd still rather use a backpack though and make like 4x the pace

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

alnilam posted:

There is a very nice crushed limestone bike trail with very little slope that runs all the way from Pittsburgh to DC so it's actually a half decent terrain for pulling a cart.

I'd still rather use a backpack though and make like 4x the pace

Eh, it is pretty rough in some of the northern spots and unless you plan to get resupplied a few times you will never be able to carry enough food for all of it. Also Jesus-hippies, I am sure there were a few pounds of bibles in there somewhere.

I was just excited to see a hiking cart in real life. And if you ever want to do a chunk of the trail, PM me, I would love company as non of my friends seem interested :smith:

treasure bear
Dec 10, 2012

he tried and that makes him a hero to me

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

He didn't even make it out of the park he started in, he lost his hashtagged baby pram, and he had to give back his fundraising money.

That makes him the best E/N failure in years.

On the other hand, I thought he would at least make it to Nevada, so I lost the death pool. :smith:

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Kandak Sayaqa posted:

On the other hand, I thought he would at least make it to Nevada, so I lost the death pool. :smith:

after he abandoned the walking, his car did die in nevada, or arizona or somewhere. he had one of those bmws that overheats if you decide to drive it in any climate warmer than an alpine ski resort

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
He ran his AC.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

That's a really bad map.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

I didn't see it but now I have thanks to this thread.
Good stuff!

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Echoing the "No, but now I know!" sentiment.

That was the best thing ever.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Thanks for sharing this it makes me feel better about my day. And by my day I mean how I just ate half a box of cheezits and passed out on the couch for an hour and a half.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Jesus gently caress, that monowalker :stonk:

I hope whatever bullshit societal collapse fantasy he has happens so he can get shot and hopefully teabagged by some obese guy with a scoped rifle.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

No wishing for violent death here please, just wish he would stay out of the wilderness forever because he littered and that is extremely not cool.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Has he tried the second trip yet? Did it already happen and I missed it?

Stik3
Jan 28, 2015

From President of the colonies to this.

Picnic Princess posted:

No wishing for violent death here please, just wish he would stay out of the wilderness forever because he littered and that is extremely not cool.

is gentle death okay?
actually i wish he would enter the wilderness and not come out

( Then maybe he'd learn a thing or two in there! ( unless he died a gentle death :keke:))

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

I don't want anyone leaving anything behind for any reason, even a body. Except for a tropical rainforest because bodies get disposed of and scattered within hours there. My guide in the Daintree told us if we ever needed to dispose of a corpse, leave it in a rainforest. You'll never get caught.

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Picnic Princess posted:

I don't want anyone leaving anything behind for any reason, even a body. Except for a tropical rainforest because bodies get disposed of and scattered within hours there. My guide in the Daintree told us if we ever needed to dispose of a corpse, leave it in a rainforest. You'll never get caught.

A crevasse in a glacier is also a pretty pro disposal spot, given enough time it will hamburger up whatever get's tossed in. Downside, convincing your intended prey to rope up with you. Also, getting back alone.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
I wouldn't call the area he was in "wilderness" since it's like at best a couple of miles from a road and houses and that was still too much for him.

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Levitate posted:

I wouldn't call the area he was in "wilderness" since it's like at best a couple of miles from a road and houses and that was still too much for him.

He was our generation's Thoreau.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Free Market Mambo posted:

He was our generation's Thoreau.

He truly showed the world the transformative power of hiking and camping for people with mental illness.

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008
His original planned route is what you get when you enter Los Angeles to Jacksonville into google maps.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Pekinduck posted:

His original planned route is what you get when you enter Los Angeles to Jacksonville into google maps.

That's how hobos get around you know

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.

Squalid posted:

He made it 30-40 miles on good trails over low hill country in like 4-5 days including one spent resting at a hostel before he collapsed on a stairwell, passing out and got carried to a taxi by concerned campers.

I think the final tally was under 30 miles. He only walked for two days, and spent the next two days shivering in a heap in a well-traveled national park cabin in the middle of the bay area. Some day hikers helped him make the five minute walk to an Uber.

He refused to eat anything besides pizza and buffalo wings. He brought a "hiking umbrella" and "camp soap". He hadn't used his sneakers before starting the journey. When people asked him what he was going to do for food, he sniffily declared that boiling water was something he'd never done and shouldn't have to do - he would instead live on Cliff bars (which he had never even tried before).

Goddamn was that a good thread.

Edit: the talk about leaving bodies behind reminded me of the best part. He planned to bring a toy gun to use to scare off would-be robbers. Nevermind the fact that toy guns made to look like real guns are illegal in several states, and never mind that brandishing a child's toy gun would only escalate a bad situation... but he legit thought this was a good idea.

Thursday Next fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Feb 3, 2016

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib

Levitate posted:

*eats only raisins*

*collapses from hunger*

Now I need to meet a hiker with a peanut allergy

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I wonder how his foundation is coming along.

TheGreySpectre
Sep 18, 2012

You let the wolves in. Why would you do that?

Thursday Next posted:

He refused to eat anything besides pizza and buffalo wings. He brought a "hiking umbrella" and "camp soap". He hadn't used his sneakers before starting the journey. When people asked him what he was going to do for food, he sniffily declared that boiling water was something he'd never done and shouldn't have to do - he would instead live on Cliff bars (which he had never even tried before).

Am I bad person for usually bringing a small bit of biodegradable soap with me when I go backpacking? A little bit goes a long way so it you only have to bring little and it weighs almost nothing, as long as you are using it a ways away from water sources its low impact and I have found that it is often useful.

It's too bad if that guy ever tries we probably scared him from ever posting about it here. What a hilarious read. I love how the guy didn't even make it a week.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

TheGreySpectre posted:

Am I bad person for usually bringing a small bit of biodegradable soap with me when I go backpacking? A little bit goes a long way so it you only have to bring little and it weighs almost nothing, as long as you are using it a ways away from water sources its low impact and I have found that it is often useful.

It's too bad if that guy ever tries we probably scared him from ever posting about it here. What a hilarious read. I love how the guy didn't even make it a week.

A small amount of biodegradable soap (like a 1oz bottle of bronners) is a critical piece of first aid kit and also good for before you take your contacts out, I never go backpacking without it. But as you say it's important to use it away from a water source.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Yeah I always bring some dr bronners. It's nice to clean your hands a bit especially after digging and using a cathole!

I've also seen serious backpackers advocate for using a sun umbrella for high altitude sunny areas but a wide brimmed hat is probably better

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Eh, I just bring hand sanitizer instead of soap. It also doubles as a fire starter.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Eh, I just bring hand sanitizer instead of soap. It also doubles as a fire starter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

also doubles your posts apparently

hand sanitizer doesn't clean poo poo though and I have a need to clean things

• Locked thread