Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I maintain that the trash compactor onboard the Death Star in Star Wars is implausible, unworkable, and moreover, inefficient.

The Trash Compactor Debate turns on whether the Death Star ejects its trash into space. I, for one, believe it does. Though we never see the Death Star ejecting its trash, we do see another Empire ship, the so-called Star Destroyer, ejecting its trash into space. I therefore see no reason to suspect that Empire protocol dictating that trash be ejected into space would not apply equally to all Empire spacecraft, including the Death Star.

The Death Star clearly has a garbage-disposal problem. Given its size and massive personnel, the amount of waste it generates — discarded food, broken equipment, excrement, and the like — boggles the imagination. That said, I just cannot fathom how an organization as ruthless and efficiently-run as the Empire would have signed off on such a dangerous, unsanitary, and shoddy garbage-disposal system as the one depicted in the movie.

Here are the problems, as I can ascertain them, with the Death Star’s garbage-disposal system:

1. Ignoring the question of how Princess Leia could possibly know where the trash compactor is, or that the vent she blasts open leads to a good hiding place for the rescue crew, why are there vents leading down there at all? Would not vents leading into any garbage-disposal system allow the fetid smell of rotting garbage, spores, molds, etc., to seep up into the rest of the Death Star? Would not it have been more prudent for the designers of the Death Star to opt for a closed system, like a septic tank?

2. Why do both walls of the trash compactor move towards each other, rather than employing a one-movable-wall system that would thus rely on the anchored stability, to say nothing of the strength, of the other, non-moving wall, to crush trash more effectively?

3. Why does the trash compactor compact trash so slowly, and with such difficulty, once the resistance of a thin metal rod is introduced? Surely metal Death Star pieces are one of the main items of trash in need of compacting. It thus stands to reason that the trash compactor should have been better designed to handle the problem of a skinny piece of metal. (And while I hate to be the sort of person who says I told you so, I’d be remiss if I didn’t point out that a one-movable-wall system would have improved performance.)

4. Why does the trash compactor only compact trash sideways? Once ejected into space, wouldn’t the flattened, living-room-sized, and extremely solid panes of trash that result from such a primitive, unidirectional trash compactor pose serious hazards for Empire starships in the vicinity?

5. And what of the creature that lives in the trash compactor? Presumably, the creature survives because the moving walls do not extend all the way to the floor of the room, where the liquid is. After all, if the walls reached the floor, the creature would be killed each time trash is compacted. The design employed on the Death Star must allow the organic trash to filter down to the bottom, where the parasitic worm-creature devours it. But what happens when heavier pieces of non-organic trash fall down there? Would such trash not get wedged under the doors, causing them to malfunction? Do stormtroopers have to confront the creature each time they retrieve pieces of un-compacted trash?

6. Why not have separate systems for organic and inorganic waste, thus allowing full compaction of the inorganics and a closed sanitary system for the organics?

7. Why does the Empire care, anyway, about reducing its organic garbage output? Are we to believe that the architects of the Death Star, a group of individuals bent on controlling the entire known universe, are also concerned about environmental issues? Would organic garbage rot in space? So what? Furthermore, why has the Empire gone to the trouble of acquiring a frightening parasitic worm-creature and having it eat all organic trash, especially given the aforementioned flaws in the design of the compactor and overall maintenance hassles?

8. Personally, were it up to me, I would have designed special garbage ships instead of employing a crude, cumbersome, and inefficient (to say nothing of unsanitary) compactor-worm combo to deal with the trash.

9. If the Empire insists on ejecting trash into space, why do they bother compacting it? Space is infinite, is it not? In such an environment, it hardly matters what size the trash is. In fact, a persuasive argument can be made that it’s actually better for the trash to take up more space, so that it appears on radar systems as something for Empire ships to avoid. Compacted trash creates smaller chunks of harder trash that would undoubtedly cause serious damage to Empire starships. And needless to say, damage to starships would, in turn, create yet more hassles and headaches for the Empire.

Please understand, gentle reader, I am all for creating hassles and headaches for the Empire. I just doubt that the Empire would have created so many for itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
How come they made that cool super shiny chromed out stormtrooper lady in the new movie but like her character is completely pointless and only has like 3 lines in the whole movie

they just put her in so they can sell toys didnt they :sigh:

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

did not read but imagine kylo ren force pushing a dildo in han solo's butt in and out forever.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Nooner posted:

disney

Pawl
Sep 9, 2006

I'm seeing this from an AoS perspective.

white primer uber alles

Nooner posted:

How come they made that cool super shiny chromed out stormtrooper lady in the new movie but like her character is completely pointless and only has like 3 lines in the whole movie

Social justice loving everything up again :argh:

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
because Lucas is a loving HACK

Nooner posted:

she looked really cool and this is my biggest disappointment of the movie

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
They might've outsourced specs for the Death Star to an A&E firm, and the Empire chose the lowest bid. My organization built a $60 million new building and there's one loving bathroom per floor, and the design makes zero sense. It is a bureaucracy so even it if were ruthlessly efficient it's still an incompetent bureaucracy, as illustrated by the vulnerability the Rebels exploited.

FrankeeFrankFrank
Apr 21, 2005

Say word son.
who cares? besides the OP

serious question...

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Nooner posted:

its a joke on the audience

disney - "lol you idiot suckers probably bought dolls of this lame character"

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Nooner posted:

On that same note, what kind of idiot would lower the shields even faced with death. Lowering the shield was going to be a death sentence anyway, and after doing it, she killed her entire organization.

Star Wars really is dumb if you start to put actual thought into things. So, just don't think about it.

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
How did that alien monster get in there anyway? Did they put it there?

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Ejecting trash wouldn't even work unless you shot it out at escape velocity since the Death Star would probably be massive enough to simply pull dumped garbage back onto itself with gravity.

Modulo16
Feb 12, 2014

"Authorities say the phony Pope can be recognized by his high-top sneakers and incredibly foul mouth."

Shut up nerd.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

veedubfreak posted:

On that same note, what kind of idiot would lower the shields even faced with death. Lowering the shield was going to be a death sentence anyway, and after doing it, she killed her entire organization.

Star Wars really is dumb if you start to put actual thought into things. So, just don't think about it.

lol yeah i was thinking that too its like "uhh if you do that youre still gonna die and also even if somehow you dont the new emperor probably gonna send a couple of hard, pipe-hitting hitting niggas to get medieval on your rear end"

Angela Lansburial
Feb 9, 2005
Nothing to see here.
how does the death star propel itself

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

BigwigML posted:

how does the death star propel itself

propane

Kase Im Licht
Jan 26, 2001

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

I maintain that the trash compactor onboard the Death Star in Star Wars is implausible, unworkable, and moreover, inefficient.

The Trash Compactor Debate turns on whether the Death Star ejects its trash into space. I, for one, believe it does. Though we never see the Death Star ejecting its trash, we do see another Empire ship, the so-called Star Destroyer, ejecting its trash into space. I therefore see no reason to suspect that Empire protocol dictating that trash be ejected into space would not apply equally to all Empire spacecraft, including the Death Star.

The Death Star clearly has a garbage-disposal problem. Given its size and massive personnel, the amount of waste it generates — discarded food, broken equipment, excrement, and the like — boggles the imagination. That said, I just cannot fathom how an organization as ruthless and efficiently-run as the Empire would have signed off on such a dangerous, unsanitary, and shoddy garbage-disposal system as the one depicted in the movie.

Here are the problems, as I can ascertain them, with the Death Star’s garbage-disposal system:

1. Ignoring the question of how Princess Leia could possibly know where the trash compactor is, or that the vent she blasts open leads to a good hiding place for the rescue crew, why are there vents leading down there at all? Would not vents leading into any garbage-disposal system allow the fetid smell of rotting garbage, spores, molds, etc., to seep up into the rest of the Death Star? Would not it have been more prudent for the designers of the Death Star to opt for a closed system, like a septic tank?

2. Why do both walls of the trash compactor move towards each other, rather than employing a one-movable-wall system that would thus rely on the anchored stability, to say nothing of the strength, of the other, non-moving wall, to crush trash more effectively?

3. Why does the trash compactor compact trash so slowly, and with such difficulty, once the resistance of a thin metal rod is introduced? Surely metal Death Star pieces are one of the main items of trash in need of compacting. It thus stands to reason that the trash compactor should have been better designed to handle the problem of a skinny piece of metal. (And while I hate to be the sort of person who says I told you so, I’d be remiss if I didn’t point out that a one-movable-wall system would have improved performance.)

4. Why does the trash compactor only compact trash sideways? Once ejected into space, wouldn’t the flattened, living-room-sized, and extremely solid panes of trash that result from such a primitive, unidirectional trash compactor pose serious hazards for Empire starships in the vicinity?

5. And what of the creature that lives in the trash compactor? Presumably, the creature survives because the moving walls do not extend all the way to the floor of the room, where the liquid is. After all, if the walls reached the floor, the creature would be killed each time trash is compacted. The design employed on the Death Star must allow the organic trash to filter down to the bottom, where the parasitic worm-creature devours it. But what happens when heavier pieces of non-organic trash fall down there? Would such trash not get wedged under the doors, causing them to malfunction? Do stormtroopers have to confront the creature each time they retrieve pieces of un-compacted trash?

6. Why not have separate systems for organic and inorganic waste, thus allowing full compaction of the inorganics and a closed sanitary system for the organics?

7. Why does the Empire care, anyway, about reducing its organic garbage output? Are we to believe that the architects of the Death Star, a group of individuals bent on controlling the entire known universe, are also concerned about environmental issues? Would organic garbage rot in space? So what? Furthermore, why has the Empire gone to the trouble of acquiring a frightening parasitic worm-creature and having it eat all organic trash, especially given the aforementioned flaws in the design of the compactor and overall maintenance hassles?

8. Personally, were it up to me, I would have designed special garbage ships instead of employing a crude, cumbersome, and inefficient (to say nothing of unsanitary) compactor-worm combo to deal with the trash.

9. If the Empire insists on ejecting trash into space, why do they bother compacting it? Space is infinite, is it not? In such an environment, it hardly matters what size the trash is. In fact, a persuasive argument can be made that it’s actually better for the trash to take up more space, so that it appears on radar systems as something for Empire ships to avoid. Compacted trash creates smaller chunks of harder trash that would undoubtedly cause serious damage to Empire starships. And needless to say, damage to starships would, in turn, create yet more hassles and headaches for the Empire.

Please understand, gentle reader, I am all for creating hassles and headaches for the Empire. I just doubt that the Empire would have created so many for itself.

1. Maybe there's lower air pressure in the tank so air flows one way. The vents were designed for multiple uses since they weren't sure what final amount of waste, oxygen requirements, etc, would end up being. So they created a flexible system.

2. If one wall breaks, they can still compact by moving the other wall all the way over. Redudancy.

3. You're just assuming metal is a common thing. Maybe it's rare and they usually recycle it. Maybe it was designed to crunch organic waste, but lazy stormtrooper rednecks just throw any old junk down there.

4. I'm pretty sure the trash compactor didn't finish its cycle, so how do you know there isn't a third wall that comes down? Maybe it doesn't get ejected, maybe the panels are then transported for further processing elsewhere in the death star.

5. Been a while, but I"m pretty sure the creature disappears before the walls start moving. So there is probably an exit for it. You let the creature much on organic matter for a while to help with recycling or processing, then it leaves the chamber, then the walls move. No effect on moving wall performance.

6. Do you actually make sure to sort your recylcables? If you were some dumb clone do you think you'd have a better chance of sorting successfully? This goes back to my comment above. Maybe it was designed with separate systems, and then everyone got lazy.

7. The less you waste, the more self sufficient your battlestation is, and the less you rely on a stream of supply transports that can be interrupted by enemies. This one should be obvious.

9. Now you're just contradicting yourself. Before, compacted trash was a threat to ships, now it's not. But we've seen ships take hits from all sorts of objects, so they are not so fragile that trash is going to kill it.

Also your entire basis about the empire certainly ejecting trash is without evidence. Ships have to treat trash differently than a battle station which doesn't have to move about. It's also freaking huge, so has the space for more waste processing facilities.

So uh, what do you guys all do on Christmas vacation?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

this a shameful thread :gas:

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
didnt read any of the OP since its a starwars post

gas this piece of poo poo

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Agreed op, Star Wars is a lovely movie series.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Powercrazy posted:

Agreed op, Star Wars is a lovely movie series.

I saw the new one last night and it was actually pretty enjoyable. My GF even liked it and it was the first star war movie she has seen

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

My immersion!

Magnanimous Lurch
Jun 17, 2013
Erm.... http://www.mcsweeneys.net/articles/on-the-implausibility-of-the-death-stars-trash-compactor

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord

Slick Goku Baby not so Slick it seems.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Nooner posted:

I saw the new one last night and it was actually pretty enjoyable. My GF even liked it and it was the first star war movie she has seen

what was his name

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Kase Im Licht posted:

1. Maybe there's lower air pressure in the tank so air flows one way. The vents were designed for multiple uses since they weren't sure what final amount of waste, oxygen requirements, etc, would end up being. So they created a flexible system.

2. If one wall breaks, they can still compact by moving the other wall all the way over. Redudancy.

3. You're just assuming metal is a common thing. Maybe it's rare and they usually recycle it. Maybe it was designed to crunch organic waste, but lazy stormtrooper rednecks just throw any old junk down there.

4. I'm pretty sure the trash compactor didn't finish its cycle, so how do you know there isn't a third wall that comes down? Maybe it doesn't get ejected, maybe the panels are then transported for further processing elsewhere in the death star.

5. Been a while, but I"m pretty sure the creature disappears before the walls start moving. So there is probably an exit for it. You let the creature much on organic matter for a while to help with recycling or processing, then it leaves the chamber, then the walls move. No effect on moving wall performance.

6. Do you actually make sure to sort your recylcables? If you were some dumb clone do you think you'd have a better chance of sorting successfully? This goes back to my comment above. Maybe it was designed with separate systems, and then everyone got lazy.

7. The less you waste, the more self sufficient your battlestation is, and the less you rely on a stream of supply transports that can be interrupted by enemies. This one should be obvious.

9. Now you're just contradicting yourself. Before, compacted trash was a threat to ships, now it's not. But we've seen ships take hits from all sorts of objects, so they are not so fragile that trash is going to kill it.

Also your entire basis about the empire certainly ejecting trash is without evidence. Ships have to treat trash differently than a battle station which doesn't have to move about. It's also freaking huge, so has the space for more waste processing facilities.

So uh, what do you guys all do on Christmas vacation?

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Gilganixon posted:

what was his name

Kylo Ren :allears:

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I always wondered what the hell the greyish floating blocks were. Aw poo poo I'm done with this piece of poo poo grey block might as well toss it in the garbage. I just don't understand why they have diminishing marginal utility, they seem completely fine. Maybe they just sucked all the flavor off of them or something.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
This is Star Wars, so there was probably a book written about it to retcon in all those explanations

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

canyoneer posted:

This is Star Wars, so there was probably a book written about it to retcon in all those explanations

disney made all the EU stuff not cannon :sigh:

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Which means Chewie never gets a moon dropped on him :(

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

veedubfreak posted:

Which means Chewie never gets a moon dropped on him :(

hans solo gets killed by kylo ren though :sigh:

Knitting Beetles
Feb 4, 2006

Fallen Rib
A confined space with crushing hazards should have a few emergency stops at least, not be a death trap in case the enemy accidentally gets themselves trapped.

Fojar38
Sep 2, 2011

Sorry I meant to say I hope that the police use maximum force and kill or maim a bunch of innocent people, thus paving a way for a proletarian uprising and socialist utopia

also here's a stupid take
---------------------------->

Hell Yeah posted:

did not read but imagine kylo ren force pushing a dildo in han solo's butt in and out forever.

:gizz:

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice
what about that poor worm eye thing down there. did that die?

Fojar38
Sep 2, 2011

Sorry I meant to say I hope that the police use maximum force and kill or maim a bunch of innocent people, thus paving a way for a proletarian uprising and socialist utopia

also here's a stupid take
---------------------------->

gender illusionist posted:

what about that poor worm eye thing down there. did that die?

no it left because it realized that the compactor was being activated

thats why it let luke go

unless you meant "did it die" in an absolute sense because yes most likely when the death star exploded

HollywoodDialysis
Jan 19, 2005

not doing nothing
Grimey Drawer
A good of 14 years standing, just straight up plagiarizing McSweeney's Internet Tendency.

drat shameful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
what the heck was up with those crazy rear end tentical covered ball guys that hans solo was shipping?? SCARY!!!

• Locked thread