Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Piso Mojado

wish i had a girlfriend that i could watch pour blue liquid over a tampon 1x a month and then honeymoon her in patagonia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam

Piso Mojado posted:

wish i had a girlfriend that i could watch pour blue liquid over a tampon 1x a month and then honeymoon her in patagonia.

lol i haven't thought about that thread in a long time, thank you

also piso there were a buncha people biking loaded w/ camping gear on the road (there's really just the 1 road) there, it would be an amazing place to do it tho it's really really windy and it basically spits rain at you for like 20 minutes every couple of hours

ty manifisto

Piso Mojado

alnilam posted:

lol i haven't thought about that thread in a long time, thank you

also piso there were a buncha people biking loaded w/ camping gear on the road (there's really just the 1 road) there, it would be an amazing place to do it tho it's really really windy and it basically spits rain at you for like 20 minutes every couple of hours

awesome! i looked into south american touring before and it looks awesome but crazy technical/difficult. any pics?

alnilam

Piso Mojado posted:

awesome! i looked into south american touring before and it looks awesome but crazy technical/difficult. any pics?

yeah it looked really difficult, but awesme... due to our limited-ish time we road tripped around in a little jeep. parts of the road are gravel (incl. hairpin switchbacks) and there are a lot of hills. so even driving it was difficult and required 4wd, biking it would be amazing and also pretty fwiggin intense imo
on the plus side you can camp basically almost anywhere, and despite how remote and rural it is there are also bus stops w little shelters basically every 20 miles even in the middle of nowhere, that some bikers would use as a little shelter to cook in or change they clothes if it was raining, and sometimes they would camp behind to use it as a windbreak and since it's kinda public property

no pics of bikes but just for fun here are some that involve pics of the road itself

ty manifisto

alnilam

tbf there are only certain stretches (some of them quite long though) where the road is gravel... you could plan a route that's all paved and still see incredible stuff

like when we passed cyclists on the paved roads i was v jealous and v impressed; when we passed cyclists on gravel roads i felt kinda bad for them (+ also impressed)

ty manifisto

GoodbyeTurtles

:suezo:

Holy poo poo alnilam that looks incredible. I've always been interested in visiting that area of the world (me and the girlfriend are thinking about going backpacking/ road tripping there at some point this or next year) so do share any hints & tricks that we may find useful!

Also good job with that marriage thing my dude!

alnilam

GoodbyeTurtles posted:

Holy poo poo alnilam that looks incredible. I've always been interested in visiting that area of the world (me and the girlfriend are thinking about going backpacking/ road tripping there at some point this or next year) so do share any hints & tricks that we may find useful!

Also good job with that marriage thing my dude!

ty bud

Depending on how long you want to go, hitchhiking is pretty good around there if you can spare the time. If you'll be there for like 2 months I've heard of ppl buying a cheap poo poo car and selling it again when they leave. If you drive get gas EVERY chance you get even if you have like 3/4 tank

There are cheap cabins for rent in every tiny town you pass thru, like you'll see "cabins out back for rent!" signs in the window of every little corner store in towns

The groceries are kinda poo poo, with the exception of eggs and meat and some towns grow fruit for local consumption that you can buy in roadside stands. Despite the crappy choices you can get creative and put some decent meals together. Conveniently, tomato sauce comes in a pouch not a jar
Oh the wine is cheap and amazing tho

It's very windy and summer is the drier season but even then like i said the weather changes quickly and often, so you have to be ready to go from t shirt to several layers with a rain shell and back again

Not much english is spoken, also chilean spanish is sloppy and fast but when i spoke plain castillian spanish they always replied in kind, so i never had trouble except when someone else initiated a convo with me. Anyway i could see not speaking any spanish being a little tough (esp if you want to hitchhike!) but if you have even a little bit, ppl are friendly enough that i think they'd try to communicate as best they can w you

Happy to answer any specific questions

alnilam fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Mar 15, 2017

GoodbyeTurtles

My Spanish isn't the greatest but I know just barely enough to get by, though I'm sure I'd pick it up again quickly but that's good to know.

The Cerro Castillo circuit looks like the kinda thing we'd be really keen to check out, and as climbers / mountaineers I figure we'd be up to it.

I'll probably PM you if I think of any more Q's but yeah dude, it looks awesome and I'm pretty sold on going already.

Olympic Mathlete

:h:

I WANT TO KNOW ABOUT THE SUZUKI JIMNY BECAUSE I WANT ONE.

But seriously, they're supposedly great fun off road and my girlfriend loves the look of them.

In other news I cycle to work every day on my old mountainbike and the other day finally got around to fixing the puncture on my road bike and am now on that. Holy poo poo it's fast.

Piso Mojado

Olympic Mathlete posted:

But seriously, they're supposedly great fun off road and my girlfriend loves the look of them.

In other news I cycle to work every day on my old mountainbike and the other day finally got around to fixing the puncture on my road bike and am now on that. Holy poo poo it's fast.

yeah i run errands and do 90% of my riding on a heavy rear end steel bike, so when i jump on my road bike i feel like a two-testicled lance armstrong

GoodbyeTurtles

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Small, not super hot offroad (might want to lift it a couple inches), watch out for the swivel housings (and the top + bottom bearings) wearing out.

Other than that they are prone to rusting (back chassis area is usually first to go). Don't expect some offroad beast though because they only come with 1300cc engines, but they can be real good fun.

Olympic Mathlete

Piso Mojado posted:

yeah i run errands and do 90% of my riding on a heavy rear end steel bike, so when i jump on my road bike i feel like a two-testicled lance armstrong

My mountainbike is (or was at the time) a very nice bike but it's now 11 years old. It's only 30lbs or something but it's full suspension and is pretty hilariously bad for pedaling and going anywhere. The road bike is just so direct, it vibrates the poo poo out of you when you're riding it but it's just sooooooooo fast.

GoodbyeTurtles posted:

Don't expect some offroad beast though because they only come with 1300cc engines, but they can be real good fun.

I watched this and these are the Japanese kei versions so 660cc at the largest size, 550 at the smallest. I kinda want one of these ones

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQyQnvbZ250

alnilam

I found the jimny was very fun to drive and it worked great on steep hills and curves of gravel and dirt in 4wd. It was just okay on the highway, i mean it did just fine but on the occasion that the road was open enough to go 70 mph up a slight incline it was clearly struggling a little to do so... patagonia is also xxxtremely windy which probably contributed to that phenomenon tho

That being said I've never owned a car before or driven an offroad worthy car before so I'm a horrible person to ask, but i have driven a regular sedan on hilly gravel roads so i can at least attest that the jimny was a dream to drive up tight and steep gravel switchbacks compared to a honda civic sedan

Overall i thought it was a very fun little car to rent for a week, it was cheaper than the other 4wd options too, and frankly I'd have felt very strange driving a huge beast of an SUV around, so for our adventure it was perfect. If i were trying to buy a car that was good for highway driving AND offroading, i might hesitate on the jimny but i can't really say without looking at comparable alternatives and their prices

Also it had been years since I've driven stick so my opinion might be slightly influenced by how fun it was to drive stick again

GoodbyeTurtles posted:

Small, not super hot offroad (might want to lift it a couple inches), watch out for the swivel housings (and the top + bottom bearings) wearing out.

Other than that they are prone to rusting (back chassis area is usually first to go). Don't expect some offroad beast though because they only come with 1300cc engines, but they can be real good fun.

This guy knows a lot about cars listen to him instead of me

fuck. marry. t-rex

Ive been doing sanshou kickboxing/3x a week for about a month and its cool and awesome and fun.

A LOVELY LAD

Hey man, wanna hear a secret?

gently caress. marry. t-rex posted:

Ive been doing sanshou kickboxing/3x a week for about a month and its cool and awesome and fun.

I watched a video on shanshou as I'd never heard of it before - is it pretty much the same as kickboxing with throws and legsweeps?

fuck. marry. t-rex

yeah it also has elbows and knees

Chill la Chill

Don't lose your gay

I recently found a nice boxing gym again so I've been boxing and trying to get back to fighting weight. this is me boxing, peekaboo is nice

Apparently I'm #1 Kotori fan

thank you matoi and vanisher for the sigs, lovely dad for the cool av

fuck. marry. t-rex

Yeah that's how I box usually cuz my guard is so poo poo otherwise lol

I kinda wanna learn to outbox tho but my footwork is twrrible

Chill la Chill

Don't lose your gay

I'm a counterpunching outside boxer when it's someone around my height but I used to spar a lot with friends who were much taller so I had to adopt the peekaboo

A LOVELY LAD

Hey man, wanna hear a secret?

Im back on the fighting wagon too, my style is backpedal while getting punched in the head.

Ive thought about making a webcam head tracking thing to practice head movement.

GoodbyeTurtles

Stay safe my sweet sweet punchboys

Olympic Mathlete

A friend of mine does MMA type stuff and it looks fun but I know I have a glass jaw and would get sparked out instantly. He says whenever someone new joins he lets them have a free punch so he knows how hard they hit, he's the loveliest guy around but I know he'd beat the poo poo out of you if he had to. This is why I'm good friends with him :v:

Also I found out there's a bouldering place opening up in my town, so no more hour long drive to get to my usual spot.

Chill la Chill

Don't lose your gay

GoodbyeTurtles posted:

Stay safe my sweet sweet punchboys

Are punch boys like spicy boys?

Twerkteam Pizza

I'm at the gym right now, working my way towards the pre-HRT body that I want. Down 20 pounds since January 25th!

Matoi Ryuko

Olympic Mathlete posted:

A friend of mine does MMA type stuff and it looks fun but I know I have a glass jaw and would get sparked out instantly. He says whenever someone new joins he lets them have a free punch so he knows how hard they hit, he's the loveliest guy around but I know he'd beat the poo poo out of you if he had to. This is why I'm good friends with him :v:

Also I found out there's a bouldering place opening up in my town, so no more hour long drive to get to my usual spot.

You don't have to have a good chin to be a mixed martial artist, some fighters are even known for how little they get hit.

Matoi Ryuko

Twerkteam Pizza posted:

I'm at the gym right now, working my way towards the pre-HRT body that I want. Down 20 pounds since January 25th!

do alot of jogging, and take alot of hot baths!! keep up the good work!!

Putty

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
hell yeah walking to work

Fuck My Ass
iuve been getting more fiber in my diet and i recommend everybody does the same

Thank you, very nice I like. For the insanely win sig.

fuck. marry. t-rex

I boxed for four hours and then smoked a fat blunt with me and my gym friends on the walk home.

Then I made a good rear end dinner.

fuck. marry. t-rex

My jab is getting a lot better my reach is like long af

fuck. marry. t-rex

I'm gonna smack someone's mouth off their face from like 5 ft away

GoodbyeTurtles

Get so good at punching far that you grow another elbow

Chill la Chill

Don't lose your gay

I enjoy punching close instead, hooks are cool and good

But I jab so much with my left

Fuck My Ass
u should rename to chill ala chill

Matoi Ryuko

i'm right handed but i want to fight southpaw because i want a more powerful jab

Fuck My Ass

Matoi Ryuko posted:

i'm right handed but i want to fight southpaw because i want a more powerful jab

u should learn how to throw some kicks in there really throw off your opponent

Matoi Ryuko

gently caress My rear end posted:

u should learn how to throw some kicks in there really throw off your opponent

well yeah i mean i'd like to be a mma fighter

Chill la Chill

Don't lose your gay

Matoi Ryuko posted:

I'm also right-handed and my old coach said I could do switch style but that I should do several more years until then (this was a couple/few years ago, but my training hasn't been consistent..) to get orthodox down right. Thing is, you can always do the older but not really taught nowadays "falling jab" (that's what they called it) where you push more with the shoulder and put more weight on the lead foot. I do it at times which is probably why I love jabbing, but look up Liston and I think Dempsey. It's really old. But note that it's not about putting all your weight on the front, cuz that sticks you and slows your footwork, it's about "dropping your weight" into the punch, hard to explain but it's probably online somewhere. It's kinda like what I was taught with kenjutsu with dropping the weight to allow the blade to do its work, if you've ever done any sword work.

Matoi Ryuko

Chill la Chill posted:

I'm also right-handed and my old coach said I could do switch style but that I should do several more years until then (this was a couple/few years ago, but my training hasn't been consistent..) to get orthodox down right. Thing is, you can always do the older but not really taught nowadays "falling jab" (that's what they called it) where you push more with the shoulder and put more weight on the lead foot. I do it at times which is probably why I love jabbing, but look up Liston and I think Dempsey. It's really old. But note that it's not about putting all your weight on the front, cuz that sticks you and slows your footwork, it's about "dropping your weight" into the punch, hard to explain but it's probably online somewhere. It's kinda like what I was taught with kenjutsu with dropping the weight to allow the blade to do its work, if you've ever done any sword work.

I read an article on dempsey's top 10 boxing tips and he talked about the falling jab, and the power line and i feel like, a powerful jab is a really good weapon to have, i mean a well timed powerful jab can win you a fight. I just feel like I'm unable to generate the same kind of power and accuracy in a jab fighting orthodox and would rather fight backwards, so to speak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuck. marry. t-rex

It's all about your step-up and feet. All the jab power comes from your forward momentum and the tiny bit of rotation you get in the hip and the flick

• Locked thread