Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hemale in pain

alnilam posted:

It's 8 F and I'm about to suit up for the ride to work :/

:rip:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam

I made it (as a ghost)

Chill la Chill

Don't lose your gay

alnilam posted:

I made it (as a ghost)

is it still cold in ghost land?

Apparently I'm #1 Kotori fan

thank you matoi and vanisher for the sigs, lovely dad for the cool av

alnilam

yes :(

Piso Mojado

started my training program last nite. cycling intervals for 1 hour every nite with a extra 1 every other night. my quads are rocks right now.

any of you commuters/cyclers interested in doing a byob zwift?

http://www.zwift.com

alnilam

whata zwift

Piso Mojado

alnilam posted:

whata zwift

click the link, ya goob.

they gave my cycling team a bunch of free account codes so I can probably get interested ppl on for free.

alnilam

Oh seems cool but i bike enough just to get around that i don't do training, ty tho

GoodbyeTurtles

:suezo:

Back in the homeland, now to be garbage at climbing indoors again while it's too cold out

lmbo calrissian

i'm into fashion
men are my passion
sprinting is so fun when you witness your progress, and you dont have to do it so often, but is hard to keep up when u live in a depressing neighborhood and its winter.

let i hug

somehow started lifting seriously again after falling off the wagon for a few years... did this thread change my life?? feels good.

GoodbyeTurtles

Lifting heavy poo poo is a good way to fitness. I do all of my lifting at work & it's usually car & van wheels

let i hug

I used to work as a receiving clerk in a hospital hauling pallets of dialysis solution and stuff around all day, while at the same time keeping up with a lot of lifting. I think I was burning ~3500 calories a day then, it was the best; I would eat everything I could afford and then lose weight. now I am a lazy computer person and make actual money but I can no longer constantly gorge myself. life is cruel.

let i hug

I want to get back into long distance running too but it's honestly just too hard to motivate myself with lovely winter weather :eng99:

Matoi Ryuko

let i hug posted:

I want to get back into long distance running too but it's honestly just too hard to motivate myself with lovely winter weather :eng99:

It's tough to dive right into winter running, and dangerous too. The only reason I'm able to do it is because I'm out there each and every day as the temperature slowly gets lower and lower, providing me with an easy way to learn what kind of clothes I need to be wearing.

SIDS Vicious

I tried the elliptical for cardio today and went two miles in 20 minutes and apparently burned 60 more calories than I usually do biking for 25. I can now regularly do 7 chin ups and I did 8 separate weight machine work outs for 3 sets of 12 reps each. I did also 3 sets of 12 reps of bench press with 20 lb barbells in each hand and curls with 15 lb barbells. Then I did 30 situps and 30 leg raises.

Ace of Baes

let i hug posted:

Unless you live in Antarctica or something just wear and long sleeve a light jacket track pants and gloves and a beanie
itll suck at first but youll want to take off your hat from being too hot after a mile or two
source: running in korea, afghanistan, kansas, colorado, and oklahoma in the winter months

Shine

No Muscles For The Majority
GF forgot to bring a t-shirt for the gym today, so she just worked out in the kinda 1960's looking shirt she wore at work today and it was like lifting weights with a buff Peggy from Mad Men.

GoodbyeTurtles

First time back at the climbing gym in 2 weeks and they've set up a bunch of new routes (no grades up yet) for an upcoming comp so I decided to give one on the 16M wall a go on top rope.

Turns out it was a 6c, so technically the hardest thing I've completed at the gym outside of the bouldering room.

Next week I'm planning on learning to lead climb.

alnilam

Lead climbing is way harder, like surprisingly so

Also the ratings are different in the uk, right?

Piso Mojado

what's lead climbing? like lead as in Pb or lead as in leader?

alnilam

it's when you're the first one up the wall, no rope above you but rather you're carrying the rope and clipping it in as u you go along. So if you fall you fall down to your last clip + however much rope there is between u and the clip.

It's leading because when you get to the top you can put up a solid anchor and let your buddies top rope after

"Sport" lead climbing = there are anchors drilled into the rock for you to clip into (yes even outdoors!)

"Traditional" lead = your supports are made by jamming nuts or cams with a loop of cable around them into cracks in the rock. Def more dangerous, a bad fall might pull out your supports even if you placed them well

GoodbyeTurtles

I've tried ghosting (top rope but loose and having another rope attached for clipping) which is pretty hard work. So I'm nearly there with that (I hope).

alnilam posted:

Also the ratings are different in the uk, right?

We generally go by sport climbing ratings because they are pretty easy to get the hang of.

Brexit the Frog

i started lifting dumbbells again this week after like a year of being lazy, mostly as an excuse to eat a chocolate/mint protein bar afterward

it's good motivation tbh

Ace of Baes

Rusty Staub posted:

i started lifting dumbbells again this week after like a year of being lazy, mostly as an excuse to eat a chocolate/mint protein bar afterward

it's good motivation tbh

Lol when I was running 50 miles a week I'd skip breakfast and eat a snickers marathon bar for lunch then devour an entire pizza by myself for dinner

Matoi Ryuko

Ace of Baes posted:

Lol when I was running 50 miles a week I'd skip breakfast and eat a snickers marathon bar for lunch then devour an entire pizza by myself for dinner

That's what I do every day...

Ace of Baes

Matoi Ryuko posted:

That's what I do every day...

It's awesome but I would not recommend it if you're actually trying to obtain competitive results wrt training, I mostly just wanted to eat pizza all the time and binge drink on the weekend without getting fat. When I switched my diet to "healthy" food (shitload of greens and nuts and occasionally some carbs/sugars) I got a lot faster and my runs got a lot easier.

Matoi Ryuko

Ace of Baes posted:

It's awesome but I would not recommend it if you're actually trying to obtain competitive results wrt training, I mostly just wanted to eat pizza all the time and binge drink on the weekend without getting fat. When I switched my diet to "healthy" food (shitload of greens and nuts and occasionally some carbs/sugars) I got a lot faster and my runs got a lot easier.

I just like having lots of time alone to think. Everything else is just a perk right now I suppose.

lmbo calrissian

i'm into fashion
men are my passion
wat r u guys trying to prove being competitive distance runners. how high does it get u. who sucks ur dick.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G

lmbo calrissian posted:

wat r u guys trying to prove being competitive distance runners. how high does it get u. who sucks ur dick.

i can run rly fast for long periods of time & i think that's cool in itself, but also i met my qt gf thru running so doubly epic win for me :cool:

Matoi Ryuko

lmbo calrissian posted:

Nothing...I just like being alone...I've never even run in a marathon.

Ace of Baes

lmbo calrissian posted:

Im not competitive, i just like running and testing what im capable of

I.N.R.I

GoodbyeTurtles posted:

I am not good at altitude and need to train myself to breathe

nobody is except for people who live at altitude. it takes about 2 months of hard training to adjust

shabbat goy

INRI, what's the best food to take with me for 50+ mile rides? Clif bars are too hard to chew and waste my precious calories on my jaw muscles, and Gu tastes nasty.

alnilam

One time I went on a three day backpacking trip at 6-10k feet and the first day I was expecting major altitude issues but nope i felt really good all day we even made better mileage than planned and suddenly after we set up the tent for the night I suddenly felt like poo poo and I felt like I was getting sick and I was terrified that I would really get sick and have a hard time hiking up and down mountains with all of my stuff on my back for two more days and then I realized it was probably just the altitude so i went to sleep and the next morning I felt wonderful

I.N.R.I

lmbo calrissian posted:

its my job. i race bikes though

I.N.R.I

shabbat goy posted:

INRI, what's the best food to take with me for 50+ mile rides? Clif bars are too hard to chew and waste my precious calories on my jaw muscles, and Gu tastes nasty.

man i eat all sorts. gels mostly but hard food every so often is necessary too. if you dont like gu try high5 or another brand, they all have roughly the same amount of carbs etc. anyway i eat everything from onigiri to haribo. a sandwich is nice, i like to hollow the white poo poo out of a bread bun when i make them cos i dont like digesting it when im riding. whatever you make though, try wrapping small portions of it in tinfoil like a tiny parcel and just emptying it into your mouth, i like to do that with salmon and rice

Ace of Baes

I.N.R.I posted:

nobody is except for people who live at altitude. it takes about 2 months of hard training to adjust

yeah it takes your body 90 days at altitude to produce the additional red blood cells to make up for your bodys inability to absorb as much oxygen due to oxygen pressure difference, this is why Kenyans are really good runners and why the us olympic training center is located in colorado springs (right by pikes peak) i actually pass it every day on the way to work and im super jealous of the insane training they probably get

Ace of Baes

alnilam posted:

One time I went on a three day backpacking trip at 6-10k feet and the first day I was expecting major altitude issues but nope i felt really good all day we even made better mileage than planned and suddenly after we set up the tent for the night I suddenly felt like poo poo and I felt like I was getting sick and I was terrified that I would really get sick and have a hard time hiking up and down mountains with all of my stuff on my back for two more days and then I realized it was probably just the altitude so i went to sleep and the next morning I felt wonderful

lol u could have died btw

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Altitude_sickness

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lmbo calrissian

i'm into fashion
men are my passion

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

i can run rly fast for long periods of time & i think that's cool in itself, but also i met my qt gf thru running so doubly epic win for me :cool:

:tipshat: the second pt here is the only good answer i got guys. keep tryin

• Locked thread