Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Piso Mojado

I.N.R.I posted:

its my job. i race bikes though

hey inri. what's your opinion on training with power meters? is it worth the money?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam

who says i didn't :spooky:

GoodbyeTurtles

:suezo:

I was up mount teidé (highest point in Spain, not really in Spain 3712meters) and I found I could only walk at my usual pace for a little before getting kinda lightheaded.

I want to be a mountaineer so I'll have to put in the training to level up from sea level dwelling baby

I.N.R.I

Piso Mojado posted:

hey inri. what's your opinion on training with power meters? is it worth the money?

if you race and like to do well then its worth the money. i hear theyre getting pretty cheap since a lot of companies are making them now. like i dont know of a single team that isnt using them. you can tell exactly how good you are on a given day by seeing your wattage, and measure your progress over time without concern for variables like wind and traffic lights and terrain. i mean no amount of educated guesswork can compare. a heart rate monitor might be the next best thing, but you could be ill and have an elevated heart rate and not even know you were under the weather. but youd be able to see it with a power meter because youd lose power. you could be riding up a 1% gradient and not feel the extra effort, but youd know with a power meter. you get the idea

I.N.R.I

GoodbyeTurtles posted:

I was up mount teidé (highest point in Spain, not really in Spain 3712meters) and I found I could only walk at my usual pace for a little before getting kinda lightheaded.

I want to be a mountaineer so I'll have to put in the training to level up from sea level dwelling baby

something to note about altitude training: the benefits go away after a short while once you return to a regular altitude, theyre not permanent. so if you have problems with altitude sickness id suggest an oxygen tank instead unless you can like get 2 months training in every time you want to climb a mountain at high altitude. i mean it really depends how high you want to climb. anyway i only have small experience at altitude myself so im really just repeating what ive been told

Piso Mojado

I.N.R.I posted:

if you race and like to do well then its worth the money. i hear theyre getting pretty cheap since a lot of companies are making them now. like i dont know of a single team that isnt using them. you can tell exactly how good you are on a given day by seeing your wattage, and measure your progress over time without concern for variables like wind and traffic lights and terrain. i mean no amount of educated guesswork can compare. a heart rate monitor might be the next best thing, but you could be ill and have an elevated heart rate and not even know you were under the weather. but youd be able to see it with a power meter because youd lose power. you could be riding up a 1% gradient and not feel the extra effort, but youd know with a power meter. you get the idea

thanks! yeah I am currently training now and have two crits (my first!) planned this year. currently working with Independent Fabrication to get this custom bike built for me now.

http://ifbikes.com/Bikes/ssr/

I think I am going to pick up a power meter so I can train more effectively on this new frame. does your team use the crank power meters or wheel based ones? not sure which I should get. :ohdear:

I.N.R.I
cranks. supposedly theyre the most accurate but i doubt theres a significant difference. but more importantly you can change wheels with them. although at the same time with a hub you can use the same power meter across multiple bikes so maybe youd prefer that. good luck with your races :-) i never liked crits but i still have to do them. theyre pretty brutal in britain

shabbat goy

Piso Mojado posted:

thanks! yeah I am currently training now and have two crits (my first!) planned this year. currently working with Independent Fabrication to get this custom bike built for me now.

http://ifbikes.com/Bikes/ssr/

I think I am going to pick up a power meter so I can train more effectively on this new frame. does your team use the crank power meters or wheel based ones? not sure which I should get. :ohdear:

Stainless seems like a weird choice for a bike frame, but it looks sick + steel is real. Good luck on your crits!

I got a good deal on some new climbing shoes that hurt real bad but stick real good :unsmigghh: Can't wait to go use them more, and hopefully break them in.

Piso Mojado

I.N.R.I posted:

cranks. supposedly theyre the most accurate but i doubt theres a significant difference. but more importantly you can change wheels with them. although at the same time with a hub you can use the same power meter across multiple bikes so maybe youd prefer that. good luck with your races :-) i never liked crits but i still have to do them. theyre pretty brutal in britain

thank you! ill let ypu know how it goes! yeah the only reason I want the hubs are so I can throw them on my touring bike when I go cross country next year. think it would be interesting to see what the read outs look like when I'm loaded down.

hemale in pain

one day i will buy a £10 bike computer from halfords.. one day....

alnilam

shabbat goy posted:

Stainless seems like a weird choice for a bike frame, but it looks sick + steel is real. Good luck on your crits!

I got a good deal on some new climbing shoes that hurt real bad but stick real good :unsmigghh: Can't wait to go use them more, and hopefully break them in.

let's go climbing

GoodbyeTurtles

Take me with youuuuu

alnilam

I have a couch you can crash on or i could stay with my gf and give you my bed

shabbat goy

My cat's a butthead who doesn't sleep in her bed, you can crash there if you like.

let i hug

So is a slight intermittent (like I notice it for an hour, then can't feel it for 10) ache in my lower back just above my glutes a bad sign since I'm just getting back into heavy lifting? I'm pretty comfortable with my form and will probably record myself to double check, but I've never really felt anything like this and the coming-and-going is weird to me. It doesn't feel like a sore muscle, more like the feeling if I pull my neck. I know back problems in general are supposed to be scary but I'm also in my twenties and feel like my youth makes me invincible so I don't know what to think :shrug:

Matoi Ryuko

let i hug posted:

So is a slight intermittent (like I notice it for an hour, then can't feel it for 10) ache in my lower back just above my glutes a bad sign since I'm just getting back into heavy lifting? I'm pretty comfortable with my form and will probably record myself to double check, but I've never really felt anything like this and the coming-and-going is weird to me. It doesn't feel like a sore muscle, more like the feeling if I pull my neck. I know back problems in general are supposed to be scary but I'm also in my twenties and feel like my youth makes me invincible so I don't know what to think :shrug:

Maybe a minor sprain?

Chill la Chill

Don't lose your gay

There's a new boxing and fitness club that just opened up at my uni. They claim to actually teach boxing and have intro boxing classes but they don't have any sparring. Equipment looks decent. I'm afraid they'll just be yet another cardio boxing/kickboxing place that dont' really teach you how to fight, but they have free classes this week so I might drop by and try it out.

I never did understand the popularity of those cardio-only boxing gyms. You're never forced to spar at a real boxing gym so why do they ever make ones that don't have it at all? :confused:

Apparently I'm #1 Kotori fan

thank you matoi and vanisher for the sigs, lovely dad for the cool av

Piso Mojado

let i hug posted:

im certainly not a doctor, but you should probably take a couple days off from lifting and see if the pain goes away. Def don't lift if your back is hurting, no matter what. not sure what kind of lifting you do but stay away from ones that compress then expand your spine (military press, for exsmple). also, from my own past bouts with lumbar issues, you may want to lower you weights for a while (maybe increasing reps if need be). the biggest thing that worked for me though was core strength. if your core is weak, then your back is pretty much overworking itself constantly - even picking up weights/plates can cause injury if your core is loosy goosy. it's probably a strain lig or muscle so don't fret too much, just take a rest for a bit and if the problem contiues, gets worse, or reoccurs, then see a doctor to make sure it's not a disk. just don't lift of it hurts, or you could do serious dmg. good luck friend!

hemale in pain

yeaaa, im awful at taking my own advice but it's best not to lift until the problem goes away and then when you come back take it really easy for a week or 2

hemale in pain

bump bodies are weird. i came off my diet and i've put on like 1kg the last few days :tinfoil: i know it's just water weight or something but drat i prefered being a kilo lighter

I.N.R.I
if you exercise for looks then you're better off measuring your progress by looking in a mirror than at some scales

hemale in pain

I.N.R.I posted:

if you exercise for looks then you're better off measuring your progress by looking in a mirror than at some scales

i totally agree but my dumb brain is like "noooo your getting fatter!!!"

GoodbyeTurtles

I use scales almost exclusively to weigh myself before and after using the toilet

Piso Mojado

what's your record dump?

Matoi Ryuko

Piso Mojado posted:

what's your record dump?

Two feet!

GoodbyeTurtles

I did a small chart one time to prove to a friend that you shouldn't bother weighing yourself every day due to little variations in water retention and whether you gotta poop or not but i can't find it

shabbat goy

They're setting new routes in the gym which is cool because hey, new routes, but it sucks because now 1/4 of the gym is closed off and it's super crowded on a Monday night.

Piso Mojado

can we get a sid update? by my calculations he should be at 346 chinups and 16 miles a workout now.

GoodbyeTurtles

shabbat goy posted:

They're setting new routes in the gym which is cool because hey, new routes, but it sucks because now 1/4 of the gym is closed off and it's super crowded on a Monday night.

Yeah... New routes always clog up my gym, but it turns the bouldering room from always being "pretty busy" to "you might be able to see a route between all the beanie boulder bros but you're not climbing here today". The main walls, (8,M12M &16M walls) even after a new set of routes are usually not too busy unless a class is on or something.

hemale in pain

so jelly of you rock climbing peeps

GoodbyeTurtles

hemale in pain posted:

become one of us...

alnilam

join us.....

GoodbyeTurtles

Bouldering in Tenerife

Shine

No Muscles For The Majority

hemale in pain posted:

http://www.indoorclimbing.com/worldgyms.html

Piso Mojado

GoodbyeTurtles posted:

Bouldering in Tenerife

that looks awesome as hell

Matoi Ryuko

Ah blog, closest one is an hour away!!

GoodbyeTurtles

Piso Mojado posted:

that looks awesome as hell

We couldn't find any known good bouldering spots nearby so we just found rocks and made poo poo up. Came up with a few ~5 move problems but without chalk we were suffering from sweaty hands after about 3 moves. It was still pretty good though.

Piso Mojado

if you ever find yourself in central US, check out a park called Elephant Rocks. It's a boulderers dream.

https://www.google.com/search?q=ele...ks,g_1:missouri

GoodbyeTurtles

That looks neat but I'm getting into sport climbing and maybe trad when I can get enough gear & rope together

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoodbyeTurtles

Walked up a hill today and chilled with a marine, it was damp

• Locked thread