Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
alnilam

hi

ty manifisto

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam

p well. My morning commutes this week were in 7-10 degrees F, and i felt totally fine other than at my temples where the air got in between my glasses and my balaclava. I even unzipped my outermost coat by the end. Lobster gloves rule.

alnilam

i'm also mega sore from starting lifting weights again since two weeks off during holidays... feels good but also feels sore.

16 hilly miles of bike commuting + sometimes lifting weights = a very tired alnilam every night, and that's how i likes it

ty manifisto

alnilam

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

jeez that's so cold :( makes me shiver just thinkn about it but that's dope that you're a stronger more capable person than I am in such situations

you'd be surprised actually how hot'n'steamy you get wqhile biking in the cold

i'll admit that biking comfortably at single digit temps took a while of figuring out the right oufit. but anything down to and including the 20s, you'd be really surprised how easy it is to bike in. you gotta cover up your hands and face. other than that, more often than not my torso is getting hot as hell by the time i get where I'm going (that's why I dress in layers), because of the exertion

i bet you could do it!! put on your best gloves and wrap your face in a scarf or even use a t-shirt to tie a makeshift ninja mask / balaclava, then wear a sweatshirt and a windproof jacket. bike somewhere. you will be unzipping your jacket by the time you arrive i almost guarantee it

ty manifisto

alnilam

how are you piso

how are you dope fiend killa g

ty manifisto

alnilam

i'm sorry about your weird heart :( i hope it turns out okay

i'm good, icy biking has been fine, and also one thing i almost never do (but always want to) is more crunches / ab workout, esp because when i lift weights i work the rest of my core but the one thing missing is my abz... so i did a bunch of weighted crunches today and well there's no soreness quite like ab soreness :geno:

ty manifisto

alnilam

hemale in pain posted:

woah 16 miles commute must suck alnilam. my commute is only 4 miles one way.

i like cable crunches too!! they're fun, i was worried about looking really silly doing them and getting it horribly wrong but they're actually really easy and cool.

My commute is 8 (hilly) miles each way, 16 total, to be clear

I'll try cable crunches!ty

alnilam

Thanks :) so i generally don't ride in bikey clothes like spandex jerseys or anything. I only really have a few cycling-specific pieces of things, and they are all at my extremities (is the head an extremity?)
The general idea: much insulation on the hands and face and feet, little on the torso

So I will describe what I wear in single digits and how it changes when it gets a little warmer (like teens, 20s, 30s)

HANDS: Lobster gloves, sometimes w/ liners
I have Giro lobster gloves with Thinsulate(TM)
in general i recommend lobster gloves. Obviously they vary in warmth, but in general the format of the lobster glove is really good. Before I got lobster gloves, I had nicely padded regular gloves + liners, and I still used to get frostnippy fingers on a 3 mile ride to work when it was in the teens. With my lobster gloves, I wear them without liners down to 20 F, then add liners.
Also strictly speaking my gloves are more like live long and prosper gloves; some lobster-gloves have the index finger all by itself and the other 3 together. idk if it's better or worse but I imagine that would make your index finger colder.
Another important note about hands: it's easier to stay warm, than to get warm. Minimize gloveless time outside. Put your gloves on inside and let them get warm. Even the initial temp of your gloves makes a difference. For a whole winter and a half, when I slept at my ex's house my hands would be freezing when I got to work, but when we slept at my house (same temperature, same distance) I was fine. Eventually I figured out it's cause her basement is freezing and I kept my bike stuff down there, so I started keeping my glvoes upstairs and the problem went away.

HEAD/FACE: balaclava and hat!
i have a balaclava with Gore(R) WindStopper(TM) material
since the balaclava has a very minimally insulated hood for atop the head, i wear on top of it a winter biking hat from this lady in Chicago who sews nice winter cycling caps from recycled materials, i like her stuff a lot, her etsy shop is Kozie Prery but I bought mine in person at an open craft market thing
any winter cap that fits under your helmet will do, though. I move the balaclava from my face to my chin depending on how hot or cold i get (even in single digits, it usually ends up going down to my chin when I'm climbing a big hill).
sometimes my breath comes up out of it and makes frost on my eyelashes :3:
ALSO usually in single digits only, I wear glasses or sunglasses because otherwise my eyes get loving cold. It's a bit of a battle to keep them from fogging up, it usually involves exposing my nose from out of the balaclava to divert breath downward

THat's all for the cycling-specific stuff, the rest is:

Pants: when it's cold enough I wear my regular long underwear + jeans, otherwise just jeans :shrug:

Feeeeet: this can vary a lot by person/circulation, and by what kinda boot you got, anyway just get some thick wool sox and don't be afraid to double-sock it if that still isn't doing it for you. My boots don't have any insulation at all other than the leather itself, FWIW, but they block the elements and heavy socks do the rest. ALso boots that are too tight will make your toesies get cold.

Torso: First of all, for anyone new to cold cycling, you should feel a little underdressed when you first walk outside. Like I said, you will get hot by the end of your ride; you don't want to be cozy warm when it starts cause that means you will get WAY too hot. When you walk outside to get on your bike, you should say brr. Actually my ride begins with a big downhill plunge and it is the worst part of my winter commute because I get so cold, because I"m not exerting myself yet but I'm going fast, brrrr. But it's worth it after I start pedaling and get nice and comfy.

Anyway I basically just wear my regular winter clothes, but fewer of them. That being said, I'm a layering nut, so it works well for me; if you're a "one heavy coat" kinda person then you might need to get some layers.

In single digits, from inside to out, I'll wear something like this, but any layering scheme will work you just have to figure it out
  • lightweight wool baselayer
  • street sweater or long sleeved shirt
  • zip-up midweight wool sweater - 3 years ago I sprung for an icebreaker mid-layer and it's been a daily wear item (seriously) fall thru spring ever since, street and cycling both
  • a windproof, UN-insulated (or lightly insulated) jacket. I use a precip rain jacket, i used to have a bike-specific rain jacket (novara) and wore it for 7 years until no amount of goop would fix its waterproofness

That's my single digit outfit, that's it. It looks a lot like what i'd wear if i were walking around in 15F weather - like I said, you need to underdress your torso when you bike (I'm sure you know this Piso I'm writing this for everyone).

If it goes up to 15, I'll probably remove the wool baselayer, possibly replace it with a cotton t-shirt
if it goes to the 20s, I might do baselayer + long sleeve cotton shirt + mid layer + rain jacket
30s i might do just baselayer + midlayer + rain jacket
upper 30s maybe a t-shirt + midlayer + rain jacket

alnilam

Nuts and Gum posted:

Hey there fitness goons, I have like 2 1/2 weeks to get in shape for snowboarding. I have pathetic calves, and poo poo stamina. Are there some at-home exercises I could do to train? I've found sets of jumping jacks are extremely taxing on my calves, so I guess I can start there. #skinnyfat

In 2.5 weeks you're not gonna strengthen anything but you can at least get your bod warmed up and ready for the real deal so you don't get mega sore the day after snowboarding.

Why calves in particular are they a snowboarding muscle?

alnilam

It's 8 F and I'm about to suit up for the ride to work :/

alnilam

I made it (as a ghost)

alnilam

yes :(

alnilam

whata zwift

alnilam

Oh seems cool but i bike enough just to get around that i don't do training, ty tho

alnilam

Lead climbing is way harder, like surprisingly so

Also the ratings are different in the uk, right?

alnilam

it's when you're the first one up the wall, no rope above you but rather you're carrying the rope and clipping it in as u you go along. So if you fall you fall down to your last clip + however much rope there is between u and the clip.

It's leading because when you get to the top you can put up a solid anchor and let your buddies top rope after

"Sport" lead climbing = there are anchors drilled into the rock for you to clip into (yes even outdoors!)

"Traditional" lead = your supports are made by jamming nuts or cams with a loop of cable around them into cracks in the rock. Def more dangerous, a bad fall might pull out your supports even if you placed them well

alnilam

One time I went on a three day backpacking trip at 6-10k feet and the first day I was expecting major altitude issues but nope i felt really good all day we even made better mileage than planned and suddenly after we set up the tent for the night I suddenly felt like poo poo and I felt like I was getting sick and I was terrified that I would really get sick and have a hard time hiking up and down mountains with all of my stuff on my back for two more days and then I realized it was probably just the altitude so i went to sleep and the next morning I felt wonderful

alnilam

who says i didn't :spooky:

alnilam

shabbat goy posted:

Stainless seems like a weird choice for a bike frame, but it looks sick + steel is real. Good luck on your crits!

I got a good deal on some new climbing shoes that hurt real bad but stick real good :unsmigghh: Can't wait to go use them more, and hopefully break them in.

let's go climbing

alnilam

I have a couch you can crash on or i could stay with my gf and give you my bed

alnilam

join us.....

alnilam

GoodbyeTurtles posted:

This is a good idea but I need to figure out how to keep a bike on a roofrack

There are bike roof rax where you take off the front wheel but in a van you might get clearance issues... I'd go for a trunk mounted one that hangs off the back

alnilam

Dead lift :hb:
Back extensions
Bent over dbell row

alnilam

That being said though, aren't free weights good for beginners because they work a lot of muscles at once and give you a good all around workout for few actual movements?

alnilam

Yeah that's a thing I thought too, they build up stabilization strength that you don't necessarily get with targeted machines, but that you need to actually do strong person stuff

Obviously an advanced lifter knows enough to work on targeted lifts with machines and keep up their stabilizing muscles too, but a beginner might be like ooh i want big triceps I'll use a triceps machine, without building up the auxiliary muscles they need??

alnilam

What does a row machine look like, of the sort you're talking about, shine

alnilam

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

i joined a 24 hour gym so i can start working out again. now i feel better about lame job

omg its DDD

alnilam

gym post

alnilam

I found a row machine, trying that out for a change of pace from the bent db row, it's nice esp cause I always struggled with not twisting my back to help with db rows

alnilam

ya

alnilam

I mean like is it regular delayed-onset muscle soreness, or is it like an aggravated injury

alnilam

Piso Mojado posted:

any of you East-coasters ever biked on the Great Allegheny Passage or the C&O Canal Towpath? Thinking of maybe touring it here in a month or two.

Yes, come visit me in Pixburgh

The gap is cool. The one thing is primitive camping spots and water sources on the gap are a little farther apart than on the c&o - about 30-50 miles apart. Of course you can bring stuff to treat you own water and fill up at any stream, and you can stop in little towns to get more water.
What primitive camping spots there are, though, are in really beautiful spots along the youghiogheny river. I sometimes take weekend overnight trips just to one of them and back.

On the c&o portion, which i have a little less experience with, water and primitive camping is spaced out every 5-10 miles.

alnilam

Sorta in april, reliably in may.

alnilam

Piso Mojado posted:

sweet! I'll pm you with details if I pull the trigger on this one. if you know and good resources other than the website, let me know. :]

Don't know any resources in particular but I'm pretty well versed in the 80ish miles of the trail closest to pgh and a little less so with the rest, so ask any questions u got

For night 1 if you like remote things i highly recommend "roundbottom" campground it's super remote and on a lovely bend in the yough

alnilam

As a bonus if you ride to DC the train back to pgh (where shabbat goy and i will feed you beer) allows roll-on bike service and it's a beautiful route (though granted the first half is basically the same as the c&o route)

Though since you don't live here it probably makes more sense to just fly back out of dc...

alnilam

Piso Mojado posted:

another big part of this trip will be to scope out these so-called mega-hills in Pitt. I'm DOING the Dirty Dozen ride this year for sure and I'm curious to see how bad they actually are.

they're bad...

alnilam

FluffieDuckie posted:

i didn't know there was such a thing as no contact ice hockey

Ice hockey is really fun, i actually think it's a huge shame that the game has been taken over by a Fight Boys mentality because without deliberate contact it's a really awesome game to watch and to play

alnilam

gently caress anyone who gets rough in a recreational / no contact league

e: i got a slight concussion once from some rear end in a top hat steamrolling me in a recreational, beginners league flag football tournament, my team walked out because the team wasn't reprimanded

alnilam

The third part of the dang thread title is "outdoors activities"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam

I use whey powder mostly because I'm a vegetarian

• Locked thread