Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
let i hug

Ace of Baes posted:

The testing is the same across the board, special units just have barriers to entry called "schools" that require you to do weird or difficult things before joining their unit. Also Ive ran an 11:40 2-mile as a smoker and knew a smoker who was on the all army 10 mile team. (Competitive team of some of the best runners in the army)

Not saying that smoking doesnt gently caress your run up but you can still be fast or have endurance while being a smoker.

Ace of Baes posted:

I dont remember but I think around 7 min/mile avg.

i wish i was fast. also consistent about my running. gently caress the winter/being busy, though. hopefully reading about people being active will guilt me into it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

let i hug

somehow started lifting seriously again after falling off the wagon for a few years... did this thread change my life?? feels good.

let i hug

I used to work as a receiving clerk in a hospital hauling pallets of dialysis solution and stuff around all day, while at the same time keeping up with a lot of lifting. I think I was burning ~3500 calories a day then, it was the best; I would eat everything I could afford and then lose weight. now I am a lazy computer person and make actual money but I can no longer constantly gorge myself. life is cruel.

let i hug

I want to get back into long distance running too but it's honestly just too hard to motivate myself with lovely winter weather :eng99:

let i hug

So is a slight intermittent (like I notice it for an hour, then can't feel it for 10) ache in my lower back just above my glutes a bad sign since I'm just getting back into heavy lifting? I'm pretty comfortable with my form and will probably record myself to double check, but I've never really felt anything like this and the coming-and-going is weird to me. It doesn't feel like a sore muscle, more like the feeling if I pull my neck. I know back problems in general are supposed to be scary but I'm also in my twenties and feel like my youth makes me invincible so I don't know what to think :shrug:

let i hug

In a world where you could ONLY do free weights or machines free weights would be better because youre getting better central nervous system activation and stimulating more growth but machines are good for pushing major muscle groups even further once youre too tired to do more big compound lifts.

If you can only do squats or only do leg extensions then squats are better but really you should do squats until youre too tired to do more and then go to leg extensions to really roast your quads. Both body builders and power lifters (and oly lifters) do this kind of thing.

let i hug

Ok so in starting strength youre supposed to do squat 3x5/bench 3x5/power clean 5x3 for day A and squat 3x5/press 3x5/deadlift 1x5 for day B but Im only getting through 3 sets of power cleans and then Im totally exhausted... are people actually doing 5 sets with real weight and proper form?? That seems like its way more work than a single set of even the heaviest deadlifts possible.

Like Im kind of wondering if thats the recommendation assuming you dont know how to power clean and are mainly just doing form work and cant move real weight. My high school weights class actually had us do oly lifts and the teacher worked with each of us personally on form so I kind of know what Im doing so maybe Im mis-matched for this? For reference I most recently deadlifted 245 for 5 vs power cleaning 95 for 3 sets of 3 today and just dying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

let i hug

Shine posted:

I'll preface this by saying that if you haven't read the book, then please read the $10 book! 90% of problems any goon has ever had with Starting Strength stem from not reading the book.

Anyway, yes power cleans are part of the program, and that includes people who've never done power cleans, as part of doing Starting Strength correctly is learning how to power clean (and everything else), and the book provides ample instruction for performing the lift. You should also have your form checked by a reputable Olympic lifting coach, or at least by forum dwellers.

Anyway, no lift is innately super tiring, as that is largely a function of how much weight you're using. Like, I imagine you could do the 5 sets easily if you used an empty bar. So if you are gassing out on them halfway through the sets of 95lbs, then 95lbs is too much weight for "form work," and chances are you started too heavy and thus prematurely hit a wall. As is covered in the book, you should start a lift at a light weight and work your way up from there, and the book goes into detail on how to choose that first weight. How much weight did you start with, and what weights have you used for your last three power clean sessions? If you can't provide that info, then you're not writing down your workouts, which is a huge mistake.

I understand what youre saying and I did start at the empty bar but it feels harder to progress when carrying the weight across 5 sets as opposed to 3 like in the other lifts. My progression so far has been 45 -> 65 -> 85 (which I did across 5 with only a little trouble) -> 95 where the number of sets feels discouraging.

I think it might be more of a question of mindset than anything because I probably could hit 5 sets if I gave myself more time to rest in between and didnt think about the fact that I was about to be done, but its a lot of lifting and feels disproportionate to deadlift days (not helped by benching being more tiring than shoulder press). Dropping the weight feels discouraging too, because the movements only started to "feel right" at 95 when there was enough on the bar that I could really feel each stage of the lift and have everything "click" -- a couple years ago I was cleaning ~155 and even though Im a lot weaker now I just dont really feel like Im doing an "actual" clean if I can just kind of throw the bar around.

My ultimate question though is when you say:

Shine posted:

So if you are gassing out on them halfway through the sets of 95lbs, then 95lbs is too much weight for "form work," and chances are you started too heavy and thus prematurely hit a wall.
Does that mean Im supposed to be treating it like form work as opposed to actual lifting? Like I was wondering today if the fact that Im experienced with the lift and am actually recruiting my whole body strength isnt expected and thats why Im feeling so exhausted during it in comparison to deadlift day (which is still exhausting).

• Locked thread