Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Piso Mojado

all yobbers are welcome to ride bikes with me. it's good exercise and fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piso Mojado

GoodbyeTurtles posted:

I need to get a cheap road bike for my travels but I have no idea what to look for

if you're looking for an entry level road bike then I recommend Giant's Defy series. They are pretty cheap and well built. the problem is that road bikes are pretty restricted to riding on good quality roads. If you want something that can handle a wider range of conditions I would get a Surly Crosscheck or Long Haul Trucker. They are about $1k each. if you want something cheaper then look at Kona, another good company. You can get a deece hybrid from them for about $500.

most importantly - get a bike that fits you. a good fitting $300 bike will out perform a bad fitting $3000 bike.

Piso Mojado fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Dec 29, 2015

Piso Mojado

Matoi Ryuko posted:

The only time I try and use a foam roller is if squeezing my calves makes them cramp up too easily, it only really happens like once in a hundred days, but I've never tried rolling my feet before.

do the inside and outside of your quads to relieve pressure on the sciatic nerve groups that run from your glutes to your feet. I used to get bad next day limping when running, this solved it.

Piso Mojado

and do it after every run, not the next day. it will help immensly, I promise.

Piso Mojado

Ace of Baes posted:

Foam roller is great on feet, a trick I learned from a doctor who was a big runner is to take a cold beer or soda can and roll it on sides and bottom of your feet, works like a charm for inflamation.

golf balls work well for this too.

Piso Mojado

if it's just tightness/limping then the roller should fix it or if your feet are actually cramping, then it's probably a shoe issue. but if it's actual pain in your feet then go to a doctor, for sure. outside of cramps, any foot pain should be looked at by a professional.

Piso Mojado

Matoi Ryuko posted:

It feels like I stubbed my foot!

sounds like a nerve issue, doubly so if you get a 'wooden foot' feeling. deep rolling over the sciatic nerves should alleviate this.

Piso Mojado

hemale in pain posted:

maybe im not cycling enough though

i dont know much about mountain biking but arm pain is generally a bike fit issue for normal cycling. are your hands numbing at all? That is a kind of pulsy on your ulnar nerve (cycling pulsy if you want to look it up) and can cause nerve dmg over time. may just need a new, higher angle stem on your bike that will raise the bars. most bike shops will just swap out your stems (no charge) in that case.

Piso Mojado

GoodbyeTurtles posted:

Cheap (for a bike) being around the £350 or lower mark? Idk what I'm looking for.

I'm going to be using it to travel from the outskirts into major city centers in Europe, most of which have a pretty decent cycling infrastructure, so I imagine I won't be needing a vastly complicated suspension setup or knobbly tyres.

My current bike is a Barracuda Zombie mountain bike.. thing. It's okay but no good for road use even with slick tyres on it. Looks like this:

check out the Kona Dew (~350 pounds). its a hybrid and perfect for any road conditions. I had one as my first bike when i started getting into cycling and it was a great, versatile bike. Can easily be equipped with racks and panniers and comes with decent hardware for general riding out of the box.

http://www.konaworld.com/dew.cfm

if you are looking for something with drop handlebars or a little more 'road-like' then I recommend the Giant Defy 3. its a starter bike for road cycling, but still slightly above your price point. You can always find used ones out there tho.

http://www.bicycling.com/bikes-gear/2015-editors-choice/editors-choice-giant-defy-3

For what you want to do, the best possible bike you could get imo is the Surly CrossCheck. Its a steel frame which makes it heavier, but waaaay more comfortable to ride. its about 650 pounds. it has braze ons EVERYWHERE and despite its weight it can haul rear end. It and its sister touring model the 'Long Haul Trucker' are two of the best bikes on the market. I know thats way over your price point, but i like to rep this bike as much as possible since it will last you a life time.

http://surlybikes.com/bikes/cross_check/bike_specssurl

Piso Mojado fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Dec 30, 2015

Piso Mojado

GoodbyeTurtles posted:

I've got a triathlete / trainee doctor / sports science graduate who swears by the foam roller/ personal torture device, so I'm thinking of picking one up soon.

Thanks for all the bike help, I'm much closer to finding the right bike now so I'll update with whatever I come up with before I throw any money at it!

yeah the foam roller was a godsend for me for cycling and soccer. i couldnt imagine life without it.

pm or snap me if you have any specific questions about a bike. Im always glad to help my friend. When i buy a VW bus this spring, ill be asking you lots of questions haha!

Piso Mojado

hemale in pain posted:

i should probably of explained more. i have a hardtail with little suspension travel so i get shaken around like crazy on rock gardens. staying loose only works so much :) there's alos some really nasty rooty sections which require tons of manuals and i just dont go trail riding enough to get used to it!

it's not ache from just riding my bike on bridleways so i think i fit well enough.

this sounds awful. just bike on roads/trails like god intended.

Piso Mojado

just finished my first ride of 2016! :woop:

25 miler in this frigid 30 degree weather. got some new winter gear recently and it was it's first test on the road.

my resolution this year is to cycle 5k miles so I'm 0.5% there!

Piso Mojado

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

i think im gonna start getting really deep into yoga, any yobpinions on the 'ga?

Yoga is really good. Maybe try starting with sun salutations.

Piso Mojado

hello. how's the winter biking going, friend?

Piso Mojado

alnilam posted:

you'd be surprised actually how hot'n'steamy you get wqhile biking in the cold

i'll admit that biking comfortably at single digit temps took a while of figuring out the right oufit. but anything down to and including the 20s, you'd be really surprised how easy it is to bike in. you gotta cover up your hands and face. other than that, more often than not my torso is getting hot as hell by the time i get where I'm going (that's why I dress in layers), because of the exertion

i bet you could do it!! put on your best gloves and wrap your face in a scarf or even use a t-shirt to tie a makeshift ninja mask / balaclava, then wear a sweatshirt and a windproof jacket. bike somewhere. you will be unzipping your jacket by the time you arrive i almost guarantee it

drat, im seriously impressed. it took me several years to get my winter kit down right but I still stop riding when it dips into the single digits. what's your kit look like? Id like to compare my gear with yours. :)

Piso Mojado

alnilam posted:

In 2.5 weeks you're not gonna strengthen anything but you can at least get your bod warmed up and ready for the real deal so you don't get mega sore the day after snowboarding.

this and work on your flexibility. just don't over do it. the worst thing you can do is injure yourself.

Piso Mojado

GoodbyeTurtles posted:

I'm in Tenerife gonna go climb a motherfucking volcano :c00l:

drat that sounds cool af, send a snap brotha - I've never seen a volcano.

Piso Mojado

GoodbyeTurtles posted:

Don't do sit-ups, just elbow plank for 2 mins a day

whaaaa?! sit ups are fun as hell tho!

Piso Mojado

hemale in pain posted:

i loving hate planks. like i dunno why but i find them too tedious.

same.

I do sit ups while sitting on one of those big blue inflatable workout balls to help protect my back.

Piso Mojado

Celluloid Sam posted:

i am off to the gym again tonight and then im gonna go to my buddies and play blood bowl 2 but first i have to exercise

good for you sid

Piso Mojado

Matoi Ryuko posted:

it's extra important for each person to find what works for them best.

yeah, totally. I firmly believe that the best workout is one you enjoy doing. for most people, if you aren't enjoying your workout you are more likely to fall out of your routine.

Piso Mojado

Ace of Baes posted:

I did a half as a smoker and came in 8th out of 2 or 300 hundred but the moral of the story is i probably would have came in 3rd or 4th if I wasnt.

yeah but what do you think those results would look like in 5 years time? the fact of the matter is many of the people going through training are too young to have been smoking long enough to really have suffered long term, rate limiting effects.

Piso Mojado

Ace of Baes posted:

Id been smoking for over 5 years at the time lol

you misread my point

Piso Mojado

Celluloid Sam posted:

i need some advice from the experts, is it okay if i go to the gym two days in a row and should i try and avoid doing the same exercises i di dyesterday?

it's fine for most ppl to repeat light routines (never when your in pain tho), but you should maybe try something new instead! the more stuff you try, the more options you will have in the future which will keep your workouts exciting, fresh.

Piso Mojado

Shine posted:

The "bigger picture" answer to this is that you should pick a reputable gym routine and follow it to the letter until you're experienced enough to answer this sort of question for yourself. A big mistake people make is to go to the gym without a good plan and as a result they are still "exercising" but not making anywhere near as much progress as they could. 45 minutes of effective training takes just as long as 45 minutes of dicking around so IMO make sure you do the former.

I think eventually finding a routine that balances what you enjoy with your personal fitness goals is where everyone wants to be, but there are lots of reasons a person might not want to jump into a strict routine from the get go. Some people do better with structure when starting, but others do not and trying to find the most "effective" workout can lead people to fall off.

To use myself as an example - I used to make myself a strict routine and stay committed to it, but eventually like clockwork i would fall out of it slowly, get out of shape, and then start the cycle off anew. I repeated this pattern for years.. Eventually, I found that i had two issues. First off, i would get bored with my program - it would stop feeling fun and become more like work. That would suck, but the biggest thing for me though was eating. Trying to eat enough to gain weight (im not a large dude) was/is REALLY difficult for me. Anyways, I realized that I would get obsessed with the PERFECT routine/diet, so much so that i eventually hated all of it and it would become easier for my subconscious to find excuses not to go. Sooo...one day I just made my own program with exercises that i liked doing and a diet that was more manageable. Is it completely balanced...no. Is it the most effective, efficient use of my time there....definitely not. But in the long term it is better for me because i am more likely to stick to it.

Every person is different tho, so sid just follow your heart.

Piso Mojado fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jan 18, 2016

Piso Mojado

started my training program last nite. cycling intervals for 1 hour every nite with a extra 1 every other night. my quads are rocks right now.

any of you commuters/cyclers interested in doing a byob zwift?

http://www.zwift.com

Piso Mojado

alnilam posted:

whata zwift

click the link, ya goob.

they gave my cycling team a bunch of free account codes so I can probably get interested ppl on for free.

Piso Mojado

what's lead climbing? like lead as in Pb or lead as in leader?

Piso Mojado

I.N.R.I posted:

its my job. i race bikes though

hey inri. what's your opinion on training with power meters? is it worth the money?

Piso Mojado

I.N.R.I posted:

if you race and like to do well then its worth the money. i hear theyre getting pretty cheap since a lot of companies are making them now. like i dont know of a single team that isnt using them. you can tell exactly how good you are on a given day by seeing your wattage, and measure your progress over time without concern for variables like wind and traffic lights and terrain. i mean no amount of educated guesswork can compare. a heart rate monitor might be the next best thing, but you could be ill and have an elevated heart rate and not even know you were under the weather. but youd be able to see it with a power meter because youd lose power. you could be riding up a 1% gradient and not feel the extra effort, but youd know with a power meter. you get the idea

thanks! yeah I am currently training now and have two crits (my first!) planned this year. currently working with Independent Fabrication to get this custom bike built for me now.

http://ifbikes.com/Bikes/ssr/

I think I am going to pick up a power meter so I can train more effectively on this new frame. does your team use the crank power meters or wheel based ones? not sure which I should get. :ohdear:

Piso Mojado

I.N.R.I posted:

cranks. supposedly theyre the most accurate but i doubt theres a significant difference. but more importantly you can change wheels with them. although at the same time with a hub you can use the same power meter across multiple bikes so maybe youd prefer that. good luck with your races :-) i never liked crits but i still have to do them. theyre pretty brutal in britain

thank you! ill let ypu know how it goes! yeah the only reason I want the hubs are so I can throw them on my touring bike when I go cross country next year. think it would be interesting to see what the read outs look like when I'm loaded down.

Piso Mojado

let i hug posted:

So is a slight intermittent (like I notice it for an hour, then can't feel it for 10) ache in my lower back just above my glutes a bad sign since I'm just getting back into heavy lifting? I'm pretty comfortable with my form and will probably record myself to double check, but I've never really felt anything like this and the coming-and-going is weird to me. It doesn't feel like a sore muscle, more like the feeling if I pull my neck. I know back problems in general are supposed to be scary but I'm also in my twenties and feel like my youth makes me invincible so I don't know what to think :shrug:

im certainly not a doctor, but you should probably take a couple days off from lifting and see if the pain goes away. Def don't lift if your back is hurting, no matter what. not sure what kind of lifting you do but stay away from ones that compress then expand your spine (military press, for exsmple). also, from my own past bouts with lumbar issues, you may want to lower you weights for a while (maybe increasing reps if need be). the biggest thing that worked for me though was core strength. if your core is weak, then your back is pretty much overworking itself constantly - even picking up weights/plates can cause injury if your core is loosy goosy. it's probably a strain lig or muscle so don't fret too much, just take a rest for a bit and if the problem contiues, gets worse, or reoccurs, then see a doctor to make sure it's not a disk. just don't lift of it hurts, or you could do serious dmg. good luck friend!

Piso Mojado

what's your record dump?

Piso Mojado

can we get a sid update? by my calculations he should be at 346 chinups and 16 miles a workout now.

Piso Mojado

GoodbyeTurtles posted:

Bouldering in Tenerife

that looks awesome as hell

Piso Mojado

if you ever find yourself in central US, check out a park called Elephant Rocks. It's a boulderers dream.

https://www.google.com/search?q=ele...ks,g_1:missouri

Piso Mojado

wow it must be windy all over, cause had to cancel my morning ride due to gusts.

went to some steamy yoga instead, which was nice this cold morning.

Piso Mojado

lmbo calrissian posted:

Who are the weightlifting studs in byob. It takes a license to have guns

it actually doesn't take a license to have guns, compadre.

Piso Mojado

I just eat and exercise enough to where I might live a little longer than the average man and look slightly better when I get there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piso Mojado

i wanna be an inspiration to other yobbers out there who also want to live a little longer and look a little better.

• Locked thread