Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Piso Mojado

Matoi Ryuko posted:

Death is waiting for us around every corner, I want to give myself a fighting chance!

I'm going to kick death right in the balls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piso Mojado

I do most of my yoga at home. and go to classes every once in a while to work on my form.

generally speaking I do:

15 min mindful meditation (laying on back, hands on belly)

2 sets of sun salutations

1 set of balance poses (usually around 5, both warriors and whatever I feel like after)

1 set of core strength poses

and end with 15 min of mindful meditation again.

Piso Mojado

you eat three omelets before you run?

Piso Mojado

Matoi Ryuko posted:

No, it's an omelette made from 3 eggs, but I often do my run at random times during the day, sometimes after a large meal. Running while bloated isn't really difficult, it's running while having to poo that's difficult.

I find that's when I run the fastest tbh

Piso Mojado

if you did yoga, you would be mentally connected with the coyotes and they would run along side of you, protecting their new pack member from harm, cramps.

Piso Mojado

Piso Mojado

bacalou posted:

boards and bike go on the outside, climbing gear and kitchen inside, bed either fold down seat or fold out futon

you gotta hang hammocks in that van, and truly live.

Piso Mojado

Shine posted:

Chest-supported rows and cable rows.

yeah, I love me some cable rows

Piso Mojado

Shine posted:

While freeweight compound lifts are the backbone of most strength programs and the basic movements offer lots of bang for the buck, there are handy uses for machines in strength training programs. For example, strength coach Dan John has suggested machine rows over freeweight rows in at least one of his books because they are easier to perform correctly than barbell rows. Like all geriatric strength coaches, he grew up with and loves barbell rows, but he recognizes that they aren't the only way to strengthen the back. When I had it available, I would do chest-supported rows instead of barbell rows because it was easier on my lower back, which is usually fried from squats, deadlifts, and Olympic lifts.

Their arms will fall off.

For purist strength training (i.e. powerlifter sort of stuff), much of what you do will involve barbells and dumbbells. But it's not like a person won't improve their general health using only machines. The programs I recommend and write are all centered around freeweight movements and that is my "generic" suggestion to beginners who want to lift weights but don't really know what they want to accomplish beyond "get stronger and maybe look better?", but I recognize that there are folks out there like my dad. He's been doing machine-dominated workouts for decades, and he's still far stronger than the average person; it's not like his "stabilizers" fall apart when he helps people move.

:catstare:

Piso Mojado

Hell yeah. its literally hitting record breaking high temperatures today in the midwest. It feels so good riding in bibs and jersey again and not in 5 layers of winter gear. :)

Piso Mojado

anybody have any good leg exercises that i can do at/near my desk?

Piso Mojado

any of you East-coasters ever biked on the Great Allegheny Passage or the C&O Canal Towpath? Thinking of maybe touring it here in a month or two.

Piso Mojado

alnilam posted:

Yes, come visit me in Pixburgh

The gap is cool. The one thing is primitive camping spots and water sources on the gap are a little farther apart than on the c&o - about 30-50 miles apart. Of course you can bring stuff to treat you own water and fill up at any stream, and you can stop in little towns to get more water.
What primitive camping spots there are, though, are in really beautiful spots along the youghiogheny river. I sometimes take weekend overnight trips just to one of them and back.

On the c&o portion, which i have a little less experience with, water and primitive camping is spaced out every 5-10 miles.

hell yeah! I'd prefer not to treat my own water, but I keep iodine tabs in my first aid just in case :barf:. I've never been to the east coast below CT, so i would for sure be stopping at all the little towns and taking my time. The trail looks gorgeous though.

I'm a wimp and do not like riding or camping in the cold, when do the nights get above 40 degrees there?

Piso Mojado

alnilam posted:

Sorta in april, reliably in may.

sweet! I'll pm you with details if I pull the trigger on this one. if you know and good resources other than the website, let me know. :]

Piso Mojado

shabbat goy posted:

Fellow GAP rider here. I tried (and failed) to ride from Pittsburgh to Philly two years ago on the GAP and it was brutal but super fun.

Depending on when you go, the crushed limestone can really suck your wheels. Consider running wider tires if you can; in my case I ran 25c but I would have liked 28c if I had the clearance. I went in early April right after snow melted though, so YMMV. Definitely play it by ear.

There's a nice bike shop in Ohiopyle about 80 miles in, so if you forgot supplies or need something, this is the only place I know of once you're on the trail (but there may be more, check out info on Crush the Commonwealth for more useful tidbits)

It's beautiful and fun, and I highly recommend it. If you stop in Pittsburgh, feel free to gimme a holler and I'll buy you a beer for your journey.

my touring bike is outfitted for the Katy trail mostly which is all crushed limestone. I'm running 28c commuters, but I might switch to something with some better tread.

I'm looking at Pitt to DC, but if Pitt to Philly is a better experience I could do that.

Piso Mojado

Chill la Chill posted:

You p much only go to the DC area of that path if you want to visit great falls. I love the park but that's prob cuz I visit it often

I've never been to pitt, dc, or philly so I figure that I could do some site seeing in all three.

another big part of this trip will be to scope out these so-called mega-hills in Pitt. I'm DOING the Dirty Dozen ride this year for sure and I'm curious to see how bad they actually are.

Piso Mojado

alnilam posted:

As a bonus if you ride to DC the train back to pgh (where shabbat goy and i will feed you beer) allows roll-on bike service and it's a beautiful route (though granted the first half is basically the same as the c&o route)

Though since you don't live here it probably makes more sense to just fly back out of dc...

it's a pain to ship my bike and gear, so I'll probably do what I normally do on tour and amtrak it.

Piso Mojado

lmbo calrissian posted:

yeah thats what i mean by store brand. i'll prol go to GNC or vitaminshoppe but i just wanted to know if its not good to get it at... but if walmarts ok then guess it doesnt matter

the fitness forum is the best i forget about it but i always read it to know why im doing whatever instead of just asking whats the best. they say go cheap

no matter what you get, oder it online cause gnc, etc jack up their prices.

Piso Mojado

it's 6am and I'm on my way to the gym. I hate everything.

Piso Mojado

alnilam posted:

gently caress anyone who gets rough in a recreational / no contact league

e: i got a slight concussion once from some rear end in a top hat steamrolling me in a recreational, beginners league flag football tournament, my team walked out because the team wasn't reprimanded

yeah, maybe in other sports, but rec basketball is the exception. rec league or not, you step to me in the paint, ima make you regret it.

Piso Mojado

lmbo calrissian posted:

That poo poo is garbage dont take it -fitnes/nutrition friend

Piso Mojado

i flunked out posted:

this definitely doesnt count as fitness but i went on a hike/went birding last saturday in the elkhorn slough, and it was definitely an outdoor activity. dont have a fancy camera so i didnt get any bird pics, but i did get a nice panorama from the spot I ate lunch at:

we went right as the tide started dropping so we saw a good amount of snowy and great egrets, one very large great blue heron, some oystercatchers, a stilt, some avocets, some godwits, and then two greater yellowlegs. There was also a ton of gulls but i didnt really care about them.

this is cool as hell, and hiking definitely counts as fitness.

Piso Mojado

lmbo calrissian posted:

wtf ugh. wtf. doesnt shipping cancel that out/the certainty that street thugs will steal my package

a lot of sites offer free shipping. also if you shop around on amazon you get free shipping and no tax. the best way to order for serious lifters is by the metric ton on alibaba.com.

Piso Mojado

shabbat goy posted:

Posting from the gym right now. Someone brought season 2 of the Drew Carey show on VHS and is asking people where he can pop it in while he works out.

I work out at my work gym, which is empty in the mornings and I typically watch Roseanne.

Piso Mojado

Vynar posted:

I have a ruined knee, terrible cardio vascular endurance, and I regularly lift boxes with my back.

I've had 2 ACL and 1 MCL surgery, fractured my patella, and had arthritis by the time I was 24 all from hs and college soccer. if you have a knee related workout question, I can probably help ya.

Piso Mojado

I use them only because I'm never hungry in the morning but I need something in my belly for when I work out (also in the AM), so it's a quick dietary supplement.

Piso Mojado

Tusen Takk posted:

my school load this semester is super heavy so I haven't been able to go to the gym nearly as often as I like to, but the great news is that it's given me an opportunity to bulk

I went from 155->195 in the last three months and it's been great

then once summer hits it's back to five mile runs every morning with my dog and picking things up and putting them down at night :3:

dude. 40lbs in 3 months is really dangerous if not impossible.

Piso Mojado

I've had a few knee surgeries now and one consistent thing they have always told me during rehab is "absolutely no running". In fact, that is why I started cycling to begin with, because it's a knee-friendly way to do cardio.

Piso Mojado

I would give up pretty much every part of my routine before I gave up my roller. I love it.

Piso Mojado

it hurts sooo good

Piso Mojado

alnilam posted:

I should try a roller... What do you do with it, just... roll it on your muskle?

it depends really on what activities you are doing. I do a pretty general routine (quads, glutes, hammy, IT, calves, back, shoulder) after each work out, but the best benefits (and pain, yeeowch) comes from targeting specific areas after certain types of activities. for instance, I hit my hams and quads hard after a long day of cycling, where I will roll slowly over my sore areas, putting pressure on the knots I come across while trying not to cry. I know a lot of runners who use it religiously on their IT bands and calves too.

Piso Mojado

lmbo calrissian posted:

how do i get the heartbreakingly hot trainer guys to notice me without working hard?

challenge them to a pull up contest.

Piso Mojado

lol

Piso Mojado

GoodbyeTurtles posted:

I need to get my kayak out again...

why was it ever put up?

Piso Mojado

FluffieDuckie posted:

You just have to find your thing. I tried all kinds of stuff and changed gyms before I found something that worked for me.

Just don't give up

this x 1000.

Piso Mojado

everyone should buy a steel touring bike and let's go cross country together.

Piso Mojado

shabbat goy posted:

does anyone wanna go ride bikes?

riding now. where you at?

Piso Mojado

bumping for shaquil o real and kayak krew

Piso Mojado

and myself, obv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piso Mojado

my work is really on edge right now, things are terribly tense so today i cut out early and lifted heaving weight things in my garage until i thought i was going to puke. feels good.

• Locked thread