Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ace of Baes

Matoi Ryuko posted:

Like, some days I will be walking everywhere with a really bad limp because of muscle sorness and what not, but the soreness never effects my running stride. It's like I broke my ability to walk, but I can still jog normally.

Do you use a foam roller? I found that plus getting a lot of sleep helps.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ace of Baes
Foam roller is great on feet, a trick I learned from a doctor who was a big runner is to take a cold beer or soda can and roll it on sides and bottom of your feet, works like a charm for inflamation.

----------------

Ace of Baes

I.N.R.I posted:

i doubt theres any way you can sit on a mountain bike that would damage your arms .. its probably more like he just doesnt ride often and the muscles arent being used. my triceps were sore for about a week when i came back from a broken hip a couple of years ago

Had a patient a couple years ago who had wrist pain and numbness from cycling a couple hundred miles a week, he was on a road bike, but i imagine same thing could happen on a mountain bike.

----------------

Ace of Baes

I.N.R.I posted:

i think climbing alone is good enough. its a great way to exercise in general. stretching is most important for sports with limited motion like running and cycling, and especially for people who dont do anything at all.

what do you think about the studies that came out a couple years ago saying stretching before running increases your chances of injury?
This is a mediocre article but it touches on it
http://www.runnersworld.com/start-running/should-i-stretch-before-or-after-my-runs

I stopped stretching before running and only stretch after long runs (5+ miles) and haven't any injuries save for a couple minor ones in about 5 years, Im also super strict about my form and use my first mile or two as a slow warm up though

Ace of Baes

GoodbyeTurtles posted:

I suck at pacing myself until I'm warmed up when I run.

I had a lot of trouble with it when i first got into running, if you have to force yourself to jog or airborne shuffle if you know what that is, I found using runkeeper or a garmin makes it a lot easier

Ace of Baes
if you guys like books born to run and eat and run are really good, you might like eat and run inri because iirc youre vegetarian? its about a world class ultramarathoner whos also vegan and has vegan/vegitarian recipes in it

Ace of Baes

GoodbyeTurtles posted:

I listen to a little DnB which is great for sprints & usually pumps me up to run at my racing pace, but it's easy to get a little carried away on a long run.

I've been told by my triathlete buddy that my form is OK, but I need to work on pacing myself better and trying not to run so close to the limit of my fitness.

Ive never used to but ive heard using a hrm is really helpful for that

Ace of Baes

Matoi Ryuko posted:

Their testing is only somewhat stringent. Only cool divisions like the rangers or whatever have stringent physical testing.

The testing is the same across the board, special units just have barriers to entry called "schools" that require you to do weird or difficult things before joining their unit. Also Ive ran an 11:40 2-mile as a smoker and knew a smoker who was on the all army 10 mile team. (Competitive team of some of the best runners in the army)

Not saying that smoking doesnt gently caress your run up but you can still be fast or have endurance while being a smoker.

Ace of Baes

Matoi Ryuko posted:

I think it's really important to have a solid core workout that remains part of your gameplan, and it's extra important for each person to find what works for them best.

I've heard of people doing this, obviously no one is going to champion it but it's probably not going to be a huge problem unless you've got a heavy amount of cross-country running in your workout plan, I suppose.

I did a half as a smoker and came in 8th out of 2 or 300 hundred but the moral of the story is i probably would have came in 3rd or 4th if I wasnt.

Ace of Baes

Piso Mojado posted:

yeah but what do you think those results would look like in 5 years time? the fact of the matter is many of the people going through training are too young to have been smoking long enough to really have suffered long term, rate limiting effects.

Id been smoking for over 5 years at the time lol

Ace of Baes

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

what was your time greg?

I dont remember but I think around 7 min/mile avg.

Ace of Baes

let i hug posted:

i wish i was fast. also consistent about my running. gently caress the winter/being busy, though. hopefully reading about people being active will guilt me into it

All you have to do is run a lot and make sure you have good form, unless you want to be a professional athlete or something its literally that simple

Ace of Baes
youre not gaining any muscle your body is just learning how to use its muscles better, actual muscle growth takes months to years, and not on gear its only realistic to gain 12-14 lbs of muscle a year max

edit: keep up on trying tho, i went from being able to only do 2 or 3 pull ups to 15-17 in about 6 months

a good way to iimprove is to jump to get up then lower yourself as slowly as possible and repeat until you cant lower yourself without falling

Ace of Baes

let i hug posted:

I want to get back into long distance running too but it's honestly just too hard to motivate myself with lovely winter weather :eng99:

Unless you live in Antarctica or something just wear and long sleeve a light jacket track pants and gloves and a beanie
itll suck at first but youll want to take off your hat from being too hot after a mile or two
source: running in korea, afghanistan, kansas, colorado, and oklahoma in the winter months

Ace of Baes

Rusty Staub posted:

i started lifting dumbbells again this week after like a year of being lazy, mostly as an excuse to eat a chocolate/mint protein bar afterward

it's good motivation tbh

Lol when I was running 50 miles a week I'd skip breakfast and eat a snickers marathon bar for lunch then devour an entire pizza by myself for dinner

Ace of Baes

Matoi Ryuko posted:

That's what I do every day...

It's awesome but I would not recommend it if you're actually trying to obtain competitive results wrt training, I mostly just wanted to eat pizza all the time and binge drink on the weekend without getting fat. When I switched my diet to "healthy" food (shitload of greens and nuts and occasionally some carbs/sugars) I got a lot faster and my runs got a lot easier.

Ace of Baes

lmbo calrissian posted:

wat r u guys trying to prove being competitive distance runners. how high does it get u. who sucks ur dick.

Im not competitive, i just like running and testing what im capable of

Ace of Baes

I.N.R.I posted:

nobody is except for people who live at altitude. it takes about 2 months of hard training to adjust

yeah it takes your body 90 days at altitude to produce the additional red blood cells to make up for your bodys inability to absorb as much oxygen due to oxygen pressure difference, this is why Kenyans are really good runners and why the us olympic training center is located in colorado springs (right by pikes peak) i actually pass it every day on the way to work and im super jealous of the insane training they probably get

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ace of Baes

alnilam posted:

One time I went on a three day backpacking trip at 6-10k feet and the first day I was expecting major altitude issues but nope i felt really good all day we even made better mileage than planned and suddenly after we set up the tent for the night I suddenly felt like poo poo and I felt like I was getting sick and I was terrified that I would really get sick and have a hard time hiking up and down mountains with all of my stuff on my back for two more days and then I realized it was probably just the altitude so i went to sleep and the next morning I felt wonderful

lol u could have died btw

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Altitude_sickness

• Locked thread