Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Matoi Ryuko

I would like to do some climbing. It gives you that functional strength which I strive for constantly, like gymnastics.

Do you climb often?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matoi Ryuko

GoodbyeTurtles posted:

Every Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday.

Climbing is a great all round excercise, working mostly on the core (if you do it right). Most people think it's mostly upper body (it can be if you do it wrong) but really you should be doing all of the hard work pushing yourself upwards with your legs and using the arms for stability rather than pulling you up.

I'd 100% recommend climbing to anyone, it's great fun and almost every climbing gym is full of really friendly cool people.

I imagine I've probably gotten the wrong impression about climbing from all those professional climbing competition videos where they're doing crazy jumps and hanging from double digits. I wish there was a cheaper way to do wall climbing, it's like 50 miles to the nearest facility with a climbing wall.

Matoi Ryuko

Chill la Chill posted:

I have been wearing gardening gloves with fingertips cut off and punching things to strengthen my knuckles. it's been good. I will have iron hands. :)

That's some straight up shaolin style training.

Matoi Ryuko

GoodbyeTurtles posted:

Oh no, by all means there are plenty of times you'll have to commit to a literal one point of contact leap from one hold to the next (called a dynamic move or dyno) and that requires a lot of skill, balls and brute force. They are the best goddamn thing when they go right.

Get some cheap climbing shoes and find a boulder (maybe a crash pad too) to play on if there's nothing indoors nearby

Hm. Living on the great plains sucks. I think that's why I spend all of my time running, there's nothing to climb on! There used to be a big hill in my town but they tore it down this year because it kept landsliding onto the train tracks right below it. Now it's just a 5 story grassy knoll.

Matoi Ryuko

The weather conditions sucked so much today that I developed a new technique on the fly to prevent myself from being knocked off my feet by the wind...

Matoi Ryuko

GoodbyeTurtles posted:

please share, i was blown off a cliff into the ocean today and it would have saved a life

It was like I was pressing the trunk of my body down onto my hips. They use the term "stacking your weight" in the ufc and that's sort of similar.

Matoi Ryuko

Adiabatic posted:

this is a true story i got a bench press and a barbell for christmas and used it for the first time last night and pulled a muscle in my lower back on my 5th deadlift rep i feel pretty silly

Good drive, none the less. :cheers:

Matoi Ryuko

My feet swole up right after yesterday's run, like I had bruised them on the bottom really badly. Today's run won't be a problem though...it's kind of weird like that.

Matoi Ryuko

Like, some days I will be walking everywhere with a really bad limp because of muscle sorness and what not, but the soreness never effects my running stride. It's like I broke my ability to walk, but I can still jog normally.

Matoi Ryuko

Ace of Baes posted:

Do you use a foam roller? I found that plus getting a lot of sleep helps.

The only time I try and use a foam roller is if squeezing my calves makes them cramp up too easily, it only really happens like once in a hundred days, but I've never tried rolling my feet before.

Matoi Ryuko

hemale in pain posted:

this is why i like cycling.. i used to get weird sore nips when running and it HURT so much on my calves somedays.

i seem to feel okay from biking. my arms are sometimes achey after mountain biking.

Sore nips from running? Put this over yer nips to prevent that:

Matoi Ryuko

Piso Mojado posted:

if it's just tightness/limping then the roller should fix it or if your feet are actually cramping, then it's probably a shoe issue. but if it's actual pain in your feet then go to a doctor, for sure. outside of cramps, any foot pain should be looked at by a professional.

It feels like I stubbed my foot!

Matoi Ryuko

Just wrap rubber bands around your shoulders until your arms shrivel to the desired weight.

Matoi Ryuko

hemale in pain posted:

mountain biking is really good in fact!!!

Yeah, this is true!

Matoi Ryuko

Pizzatime posted:

I'm thin but also muscular but live super unhealthy what do I do, just ignore sports and not ask any questions?

What do you want exactly? What level of fitness would you like to achieve?

Matoi Ryuko

Pizzatime posted:

one that has me die the latest

You're talking about a lifelong obsession. You'll have to work each and every day at it, for the rest of your life.

Matoi Ryuko

I.N.R.I posted:

i will add that stretching is really important, those old guys you see walking around at 200 yards per hour with zimmer frames and stuff are generally people who lived sedentary lives, you can at least avoid ending up like that with regular stretching

I'm really bad at keeping a stretching routine going. I can't figure it out.

Matoi Ryuko

Ace of Baes posted:

what do you think about the studies that came out a couple years ago saying stretching before running increases your chances of injury?
This is a mediocre article but it touches on it
http://www.runnersworld.com/start-running/should-i-stretch-before-or-after-my-runs

I stopped stretching before running and only stretch after long runs (5+ miles) and haven't any injuries save for a couple minor ones in about 5 years, Im also super strict about my form and use my first mile or two as a slow warm up though

I use stretching as a tool whenever my legs feel tight or I want to be good and warmed up for a run. It's very important though for me to begin a stretching routine if I'm actually ever going to become a kickboxer.

Ace of Baes posted:

if you guys like books born to run and eat and run are really good, you might like eat and run inri because iirc youre vegetarian? its about a world class ultramarathoner whos also vegan and has vegan/vegitarian recipes in it

I can understand why an ultramarathoner would be vegetarian, lettuce fills me up like nothing else, and there have been lots of days where I've eaten vegetarian and not even realized it.

GoodbyeTurtles posted:

I suck at pacing myself until I'm warmed up when I run.

Do you like music? I find the more powerful the song the easier it is for me to push myself at the beginning of my run, which sort of lends itself to me settling into my pace quicker and quicker.

When I first began running each day I always listened to this song to start the day because it's really intense:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsMKOx6fumc

Matoi Ryuko

GoodbyeTurtles posted:

I listen to a little DnB which is great for sprints & usually pumps me up to run at my racing pace, but it's easy to get a little carried away on a long run.

I've been told by my triathlete buddy that my form is OK, but I need to work on pacing myself better and trying not to run so close to the limit of my fitness.

I like to mix it up...keep the body guessing.

Matoi Ryuko

GoodbyeTurtles posted:

I picked up a hrm and I've found that I can keep running at a reasonably good pace at a steady 175~bpm but if I increase speed even slightly I'll hit 190bpm and have to take it easy for like 2-3 mins after that. It's useful as a guide but I can easily tell when I'm overdoing it without it.

After some crazy sprints I managed to hit 199bpm and my heart didn't even explode.

Hm. I definitely like hit the track really hard, even on days I'm sore or limping I'm always trying to press the pace. A hrm is just more equipment to me, making everything slightly more difficult because of it. I've probably spent more time running without music than with, just because I wan't to minimize everything about my run.

Matoi Ryuko

GoodbyeTurtles posted:

If you mean half marathon I have tips.

Make sure you practice running at the same time if day as the race and on the day have a breakfast that you'd normally have before a run so you know it won't give you cramps.

In training, run 2 or 3 times a week & only run for set amounts of time, don't worry about distance. Increase from 40 min runs to 50 mins then add ten mins each week. Aim to for about 2 hours

Just remember that you get a big fat F on your report card if you end up having to poop while you're out on a run.

Matoi Ryuko

GoodbyeTurtles posted:

This is solid advice, I lost out on my sub-2 hour half due to poor diet planning and needing to poop

It's solid/sometimes liquid advice.

Matoi Ryuko

Nuts and Gum posted:

Hey there fitness goons, I have like 2 1/2 weeks to get in shape for snowboarding. I have pathetic calves, and poo poo stamina. Are there some at-home exercises I could do to train? I've found sets of jumping jacks are extremely taxing on my calves, so I guess I can start there. #skinnyfat

Dancing, lol.

Matoi Ryuko

Celluloid Sam posted:

I did a chinup Saturday night for the first time in my life, after about 2 months of regular gym use. I am feeling pretty proud of myself right now. I've also gone from being barely able to do a single pushup to being able to do twenty every day, feels good man.

That's great sid, keep at it man!

Matoi Ryuko

mister magpie posted:

I tripped on a raised square of sidewalk while running and fell on my right wrist, spraining it really badly. THANKS FITNESS THREAD

I tripped on a raised square of sidewalk that was covered in snow and it was 5 degrees out and I was running home with a fresh pizza. The pizza never touched the ground.

Matoi Ryuko

mister magpie posted:

i was bleeding from the face, my hands were scraped, i felt like i was becomeing one with the universe, melting into a quivering mass of pain, the only constant in existence

I skinned off the part of the hand that's really tough and skidded like 3 feet on my face and other arm this summer. Falling sucks really bad when you're not wearing anything to protect yourself.

Matoi Ryuko

mister magpie posted:

well you are probably younger, smaller, and sprier than I

Probably not! I'm just really tough. You know how when you twist your ankle it hurts like crazy? That kind of thing just tickles now.

Matoi Ryuko

Celluloid Sam posted:

well i hope you learned your lesson about practicing nudism

I didn't.

Matoi Ryuko

FluffieDuckie posted:

you guys should try not to fall when you're running

Have you been doing much running lately, fluff?

Matoi Ryuko

mister magpie posted:

lol

yeah, same here. it really sucked. my wrist took all 241 pounds while my hand was curled into a fist, slamming into my right rib cage as my chin slid on the concrete. kinda wish it was recorded

I bet you felt like a badass when you put your hand down to push yourself back up!

Matoi Ryuko

FluffieDuckie posted:

my feet and common sense prevent me from doing such a thing.

i've been power walking in the hills and i often get lost and wind up walking twice as far as i meant to. feeble mind, strong calves

I don't really understand the first comment, but it's good that you're getting away every now and again!

Matoi Ryuko

FluffieDuckie posted:

i can't run because i kept tearing tendons in my arches and the doctor said sure you can run as long as you don't mind excruciating pain, steroid shots, and wearing injury boots on the reg

That sure sucks! Maybe swimming might be more your thing! Surfer duckie!! :duckie:

Matoi Ryuko

FluffieDuckie posted:

i swim laps every day in the summer. however despite heating the pool and living in california, November hits and theres no fricken way you can get in that water. i thought my heart was going to stop the last time i was in there

I wouldn't suggest doing that to your heart! That's a real shame about your feet. I often think about the less fortunate, because they're unable to run, when I run.

Matoi Ryuko

Celluloid Sam posted:

i have been doing some running at the gym but i mostly ride the stationary bike for cardio because of my awful smokers lungs

I quit smoking a year before I picked up running. I imagine it must be pretty tough to run while being a smoker.

Matoi Ryuko

mister magpie posted:

while i was in the military we would have yearly physical assessments and quite a few of the people on my division would do the run test while smoking a cigarette

Their testing is only somewhat stringent. Only cool divisions like the rangers or whatever have stringent physical testing.

Matoi Ryuko

Matoi Ryuko

mister magpie posted:

well i mean it was run it in a certain time or fail. these guys were just good runners

Smoking and running don't seem to go hand in hand!

mister magpie posted:

seemed stringent to me :(

:(

mister magpie posted:

also having met "special forces" guys they all tended to be egotistical douches, not very cool to me

gently caress em'

Matoi Ryuko

Celluloid Sam posted:

i did 6.67 miles in 25 minutes on the stationary bike tonight. an improvement of 0.67 miles over saturday. i was able to do 30 sit ups today when befoe i always had to stop at 15 and i did another chin up! plus ten different weight machines. and i improved my bench press from 15 lbs in each hand to 20 yay

Do 15, take a 2 minute break, do another 15, another break and repeat until you're the strongest man in the universe.

Matoi Ryuko

GoodbyeTurtles posted:

I'm a 23yo vehicle tech so my back is hosed, sit-ups are pretty bad for aggravating lower back injuries so I do my best to avoid them.
I just find planking works a lot better for me anyway.

I think it's really important to have a solid core workout that remains part of your gameplan, and it's extra important for each person to find what works for them best.

Ace of Baes posted:

The testing is the same across the board, special units just have barriers to entry called "schools" that require you to do weird or difficult things before joining their unit. Also Ive ran an 11:40 2-mile as a smoker and knew a smoker who was on the all army 10 mile team. (Competitive team of some of the best runners in the army)

Not saying that smoking doesnt gently caress your run up but you can still be fast or have endurance while being a smoker.

I've heard of people doing this, obviously no one is going to champion it but it's probably not going to be a huge problem unless you've got a heavy amount of cross-country running in your workout plan, I suppose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matoi Ryuko

Ace of Baes posted:

I did a half as a smoker and came in 8th out of 2 or 300 hundred but the moral of the story is i probably would have came in 3rd or 4th if I wasnt.

It's just going to make your training overall that much more difficult. The lungs won't as tenaciously be compressing air as they would if you wouldn't smoke, and stuff like that, I guess.

• Locked thread