Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Matoi Ryuko

Piso Mojado posted:

yeah, totally. I firmly believe that the best workout is one you enjoy doing. for most people, if you aren't enjoying your workout you are more likely to fall out of your routine.

I think what most people struggle with is motivation, and nothing saps your motivation like working out so hard you hurt yourself. I suggest extreme caution when it comes to not over-training when you first set out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matoi Ryuko

Shine posted:

Train in a gas mask. It won't help, but it'll make you look like Psycho Mantis.

I just hold my breath until I wake up a few hours later on the floor. I'm ready to fight at altitude now.

Matoi Ryuko

https://i.imgur.com/4F5smC7.webm

Matoi Ryuko

let i hug posted:

I want to get back into long distance running too but it's honestly just too hard to motivate myself with lovely winter weather :eng99:

It's tough to dive right into winter running, and dangerous too. The only reason I'm able to do it is because I'm out there each and every day as the temperature slowly gets lower and lower, providing me with an easy way to learn what kind of clothes I need to be wearing.

Matoi Ryuko

Ace of Baes posted:

Lol when I was running 50 miles a week I'd skip breakfast and eat a snickers marathon bar for lunch then devour an entire pizza by myself for dinner

That's what I do every day...

Matoi Ryuko

Ace of Baes posted:

It's awesome but I would not recommend it if you're actually trying to obtain competitive results wrt training, I mostly just wanted to eat pizza all the time and binge drink on the weekend without getting fat. When I switched my diet to "healthy" food (shitload of greens and nuts and occasionally some carbs/sugars) I got a lot faster and my runs got a lot easier.

I just like having lots of time alone to think. Everything else is just a perk right now I suppose.

Matoi Ryuko

lmbo calrissian posted:

wat r u guys trying to prove being competitive distance runners. how high does it get u. who sucks ur dick.

Nothing...I just like being alone...I've never even run in a marathon.

Matoi Ryuko

let i hug posted:

So is a slight intermittent (like I notice it for an hour, then can't feel it for 10) ache in my lower back just above my glutes a bad sign since I'm just getting back into heavy lifting? I'm pretty comfortable with my form and will probably record myself to double check, but I've never really felt anything like this and the coming-and-going is weird to me. It doesn't feel like a sore muscle, more like the feeling if I pull my neck. I know back problems in general are supposed to be scary but I'm also in my twenties and feel like my youth makes me invincible so I don't know what to think :shrug:

Maybe a minor sprain?

Matoi Ryuko

Piso Mojado posted:

what's your record dump?

Two feet!

Matoi Ryuko

Ah blog, closest one is an hour away!!

Matoi Ryuko

GoodbyeTurtles posted:

Walked up a hill today and chilled with a marine, it was damp

Carrying a damp marine up a hill sounds like some crazy crossfit workout! You must be going pro.

Matoi Ryuko

Piso Mojado posted:

I just eat and exercise enough to where I might live a little longer than the average man and look slightly better when I get there.

Death is waiting for us around every corner, I want to give myself a fighting chance!

Matoi Ryuko

Piso Mojado posted:

I'm going to kick death right in the balls

Yeah! :sparkles:

Matoi Ryuko

bacalou posted:

ok im not going to read this entire thread but does anyone here do yoga @ home?

Every once in blue moon I'll look up a yoga routine online and give it a shot. It's a good and relaxing way to stretch.

Matoi Ryuko

bacalou posted:

i used to do a daily sun salutation but that was years ago and the only one i remember is mountain pose

I've never done it first thing in the morning. Seems like it would be pretty cool!

Matoi Ryuko

Piso Mojado posted:

I do most of my yoga at home. and go to classes every once in a while to work on my form.

generally speaking I do:

15 min mindful meditation (laying on back, hands on belly)

2 sets of sun salutations

1 set of balance poses (usually around 5, both warriors and whatever I feel like after)

1 set of core strength poses

and end with 15 min of mindful meditation again.

Mine is more like

2 hits of the snooze button

1 trip to the bathroom (sometimes #1, sometimes #2)

2 cat salutations

3 egg omelette (with buttered toast)

1 cardio routine

15,000 posts on something awful

10 minutes of mindlessness meditation

1 trip to the corner store for a brownie (delicious brownie)

end w/ video games and more posts on the internet

Matoi Ryuko

Piso Mojado posted:

you eat three omelets before you run?

No, it's an omelette made from 3 eggs, but I often do my run at random times during the day, sometimes after a large meal. Running while bloated isn't really difficult, it's running while having to poo that's difficult.

Matoi Ryuko

Piso Mojado posted:

I find that's when I run the fastest tbh

My fastest sprints happen right after a pack of coyotes begins yippin' in the distance.

Matoi Ryuko

Piso Mojado posted:

if you did yoga, you would be mentally connected with the coyotes and they would run along side of you, protecting their new pack member from harm, cramps.

I put more faith in my ability to kick coyotes in the face than I do connecting with them spiritually, call me a pragmatist, if you will. :shobon:

Matoi Ryuko

hemale in pain posted:

unrelated question, how do you stop red marks on your shoulders/neck area from cable crunches? combined with red marks from squatting it looks like ive been brutally savaged in the bedroom

e: im holding the cable like the lady here

I would try wearing more clothing, or try doing less weight and more reps and work your way back up, so that your skin has a chance to toughen up!

Matoi Ryuko

Matoi Ryuko

He's the ultimate byob fitness thread mascot. He's even got the byob meme hat!

Matoi Ryuko

GoodbyeTurtles posted:

How do I fit a surfboard, longboard, mountainbike, climbing gear and myself + bed & small kitchen in a medium sized van

You could just rent a U-haul, they're very inexpensive!

Matoi Ryuko

Matoi Ryuko

Piso Mojado posted:

Hell yeah. its literally hitting record breaking high temperatures today in the midwest. It feels so good riding in bibs and jersey again and not in 5 layers of winter gear. :)

Yeah but we're also receiving record setting windspeeds! :shudder:

Matoi Ryuko

Matoi Ryuko

Chill la Chill posted:

:3:

I should get my cousin who does biathlons to do that with a gundam suit sometime

Whatever makes them feel powerful! :)

Matoi Ryuko

FluffieDuckie posted:

i had one of those days when i increased my weight on every machine yesterday. i came home feeling like a champ

so i ate a plate of brownies to celebrate :cripes:

Exercising takes alot out of you, happiness wise, your body's natural reaction is to boost it's mood in whatever fashion it prefers! Yours is to eat some brownies, which is the same as mine! I love getting a brownie after I finish my workout. I'll stuff myself with sweets as much as I possibly can, but that's only because I know I'll be working it off come hell or high water. My suggestion is to take out "loans" on sweets and pay off the "debt" as it were, later!

Matoi Ryuko

FluffieDuckie posted:

i don't know what you mean by regular store brand. i drink this stuff because i'm a giant taste weenie and it tastes exactly like chocolate milk to me. you can get it lots of places like gnc, vitamin shop, and my computer tells me walmart

please god no one tell me i should be drinking something else bc i don't think i can deal with that level of disappointment :ohdear:

Check out this thread for some excellent advice: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3470330

FluffieDuckie posted:

i didn't know there was such a thing as no contact ice hockey

They just glare at eachother menacingly.

Matoi Ryuko

FluffieDuckie posted:

they sure type a lot of words in other forums

They're really up on things. And also stuff.

Matoi Ryuko

Grey forums: up on things and stuff

Matoi Ryuko

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

i finally got around to foam rolling and stretching and so far it seems like it's really helped with my knee pain. hoping it was just tightness from neglecting that because the idea of not being able to squat was really depressing me. i guess i thought the fact i'm on my feet working for like 60 hours a week somehow did something to gently caress me up. which technically it did, i have minor carpal tunnel now, but hook grip on deadlifts is painless so that is manageable

Do you do any running?

Matoi Ryuko

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

no, but i need to do some kind of cardio. before my job i weighed about 155 and started lifting and built up mostly muscle to get to 170. then I got this current job and despite all the hours I work, i got up to 190 lbs. probably because i make money now and can eat whenever I feel like. And I get bored at work a lot and wind up visiting the vending machines. still, I'm 6'1 so 190 isn't really fat but it sucks. i'm wondering if I should try and cut some weight, or just roll with this and lift and just maintain.

I think you should try some light jogging as rehab for your knee, just don't go crazy or anything!

Matoi Ryuko

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

hrm maybe. I don't really have time, I can barely deal with 3 45 minute workouts a week. I work 10 hour shifts for 11 days in a row. I can try though. Is there something about light jogging that is better than just walking around all day like I do at my job?

What about HIIT? I always read its much more time efficient. I could probably handle 10 or 15 minutes of sprinting before or after my workouts.

No, I wouldn't suggest hitting it that hard, just try like a 7 minute jog, nothing too intense and see if that helps your knee at all. Think physical-therapy-style jogging, don't go all berserk.

Matoi Ryuko

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

ah, gotcha. Should I try it as a warmup before squatting then?

I'd suggest doing it right afterwards, do your squats and then just go right into the jogging.

Matoi Ryuko

You should probably listen to the other people, DDD, I don't really know what I'm talking about anyway. :kiddo:

Matoi Ryuko

Matoi Ryuko

GoodbyeTurtles posted:

The secret is that running is always miserable

Runners just say that to keep the newbs away. :mmmhmm:

Matoi Ryuko

3 days of forecasted thunderstorms evaporating before they hit me because of the heat!! :negative:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deeMMjc8jSo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matoi Ryuko

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXy3wePHYA4

• Locked thread