Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
It's that time again, TG!

Same deal as last year: Post the things you want to resolve to do in 2016 in this thread, then in a few weeks I'll hide the thread in a secret place. Next December, we can dig the thread up and see who did them, who didn't, and who did something cooler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Do we need archives to see last year's thread? I'm currently locked out and wanna see what I said I'd do.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Lord Frisk posted:

Do we need archives to see last year's thread? I'm currently locked out and wanna see what I said I'd do.

It might still be in the secret place, give it a while!

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
Last year was full of great personal and professional developments for me. But I set three goals for myself related to TG...

Captain Walker posted:

TG
-Improve GM skills
-Start, and finish, an entire mini-campaign of at least 3 months/10 sessions
-Find a way to make a little money from TG instead of spending all my existing money on it

I....I got none of these done. My shame is endless.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I think last year I swore to finish Red Hand of Doom. How foolish I was.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

- Play a Powered By the Apocalypse Game
- Play one of the games I've kickstarted (besides Blades in the Dark)
- Make a hack for an RPG (probably Lasers & Feelings or Blades in the Dark)
- Try to keep my IRC group together, or at least playing with my GM
- If the above fails, find a new group! Maybe on a medium better than IRC...
- GM a game/session or two, give my GM buddy a chance to be a player for a change
- GM successfully without it being a disaster like previous attempts at GMing

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Dec 29, 2015

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
I did pretty well last year! So I'll set the same target again:

1. Complete three pet projects in 2016.

I managed it in 2015 with a newborn, so I should be able to do it again this coming year.

E: Alright, screw it, let's expand the list:

2. Participate in the Living Arrows internet... thing... where you take a picture of your kid every week for a year.

3. Get back on the weightlifting train.

4. Write something and enter it for IFComp 2016.

potatocubed fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Jan 8, 2016

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Try and get some of my friends, either from work or home, into a game that's powered by the Apocalypse.

Learn how to GM properly.

Try and find more people to game with in real life.

A Real Horse
Oct 26, 2013

I have a couple of things that I'd like to focus on for 2016:

-I will be less irrationally afraid of posting in TG.

-I will paint at least 250 points (GW games (without giving money to them)), 100 points (DzC/DfC if it meets the kickstarter dates and is the same points wise), or 15 soulstones (Malifaux) per month of models. If I pick up a new minis game (Infinity looks pretty cool...) I will consider a small amount of them per month as a goal too.

A Real Horse fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Dec 30, 2015

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
something in your make~up
don't see eye to e~y~e

1. I'M GOING TO RUN A HV SVNVT DRVACONES GAME AND IT'S GOING TO BE CALLED HV SVNT DRACUMMIES AND IT'S GOING TO BE GLORIOUS

I AM THE PB FOUKE OF THE TRADITIONAL GAMES SUBFORUM except y'know a lady you see my ducklings pb fouke was the first furry AND I SHALL HAVE YOU KNOW THAT MY PROMISE TOO IS INDEFATIGABLE

MY DEVOTION TO "dragon commies" and "dragon cummies" IS MATCHED BY NONE SAVE PERHAPS THAT OF THE DREADFUL PHANTASMS CONJURED UP BY THE MINDS OF THOSE FEVERISH UNFORTUNATES WRACKED WITH "DELERIUM TREMURRRRRRR" AND OTHER SUCH "YIFFDRAWAL" SYMPTOMS (though it must be said that perhaps 'symptoms' is an inappropriate turn of phrase when speaking of WARRANTED PUNISHMENTS inflicted by A JUST AND LOVING GOD), and it is YOU, dearest of dear consumers, YOU who REAP THE BENEFITS of my ALL-CONSUMING DRIVES AND ""CUMPULSIONS""

2. find a way to come down from the last several months and get better at self-care in general.
3. start exercising again assuming we don't get another horrific winter, because blaaaaaaaah stress eating
4. ACTUALLY FINALLY GET AROUND TO WORKING ON MY DUMB *WORLD HACK IDEAS UGH
5. More f&fs! Sometime. Maybe.
6. run something without it dying right off, even if it isn't jf swanton's olde tymey ancap yiff empress theatre.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
1 - Continue to drink less booze! 2013 was a real hallmark year for this! Since then the waterline has dropped which is both a good and bad thing.
2 - Some kind of crazy pen and paper thing in real life
3 - Run a goddamned Megagame in Scotland.

WereJace
May 16, 2006

Beast Wars
1. Actually start one of the multiple campaigns I have half-planned.
2. Run something entirely new, preferably one of the games I kickstarted last year (Night Witches, Spirit of '77, Feng Shui 2)
3. Keep my Blue Rose game alive

Cascade Jones
Jun 6, 2015
Games

1. Post more/at all in TG. Specifically, post (and complete!) a review for F&F.
2. Get out of the fantasy desert and play some drat SF RPGs. No more Pathfinder!
3. Play more wargames/minis games/card games. Expand my horizons a bit.

Other

1. Get back on track with studying Japanese.
2. Read 75 books in a year. I did just under 50 (it'll be fifty if I get Cat's Cradle done by tomorrow), so it's not too crazy.
3. Improve my cooking. My wife is probably getting tired of my inability to plan a meal that includes a side dish.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
  1. Finish my current RPG project (working title New Game Plus) to a playtest-ready level.
  2. Start a PbP game.
  3. Complete Rifts F&Fs to the end of the CJ Carella era (Juicer Uprising).

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

1. Start my Star Wars Saga PbP game before February
2. Keep my Star Wars Saga PbP game running all year with at least one post every other day (bare minimum)

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

TG:
Play or run more PbtA games in person. Specifically, complete at least one >4 session adventure in both Inverse World and Apocaplypse World.
Complete a playthorugh of Pandemic Legacy.
Get off my rear end and participate in a PbP on these forums.

Non TG:
Get fitness back to the same levels as last April. Lift more weights and do lots of jiu jitsu.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
1. Write at least two new books for sale. Specifically for sale so this doesn't include any short free fiction that I might put out. If I'm gonna be serious about earning a living from writing, I need to be upping my output and giving people more to buy.
2. On a related note, get better at marketing. If I can sell more of what I've already written, it'll make me that much more confident at writing more of it. It feels kind of disheartening to work on a sequel to a book that hasn't even hit 100 copies sold yet.
3. Lose another 10kg. If I lose more than that, great, but 10kg from where I am now is a respectable weight for someone my height, so I'll be happy to manage that.
4. Play more trad games out in the real world with real people. Be sociable and so forth.
5. Start baking and cooking for fun again. I've been too lax in my eating habits, and it'd be nice to just be able to put together meals without feeling like it's a chore.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

1. Keep track of what I buy / paint minis wise, and try to ensure the latter is higher. Possibly via some kind of blog.
2. Sort through my old poo poo and figure out what I actually want/need and dispose of/sell the rest.
3. Get back on top of exercising and weight loss.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

1# GM Exalted

2# Become mod and gas the GW death watch thread that is the tg version of the xbone thread

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
1) complain less. Only about the things really worth it.

2) don't get worked up about the things that aren't worth it.

3) make a list of all the books I've read.

4) don't kill any games if they're not totally dead.

5) gm the sprawl when it comes out.

Edit: don't poo poo on things other people like -- ie don't yuck someone else's yum

xian fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jan 1, 2016

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

1) Finish a campaign.

Considering that I have no IRL friends who are into RPGs, this is going to be trickier than it sounds.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I must have written last year's goals in a chat thread or somewhere else, but anyway I felt really good about 2015: I got to play much more than I did the year before, and I learned a lot about the hobby.

2016 resolutions would be something like:

1. Don't flake out on any games. I've been slipping on my PbPs, but I'll reconnect after the holiday break
2. Bring these current games to some kind of conclusion as we get to an endpoint
3. Play a game that's not D&D, leaning on the rules-lite side
4. Play a game that's not D&D, leaning on the crunchy side
5. Possibly in conjunction with either 3 or 4, play something that's not magical fantasy
6. Don't play any more games from the pre-release rulesets of kickstarted projects. Delta Green and Blades in the Dark will be cool and good once they finally come out, but wait until they finally come out

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
1) Lose weight
2) Get a better paying job with better hours
3) Learn to not be a lovely GM hopefully before my ineptitude destroys my 13a game.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
1. Finish writing the new Spirit of 77 book.
2. Get a couch and use it to run games at my new place
3. Introduce more of my co-workers to cool board games.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
i am going to learn more about anime card games so that i can do that part of my job as well as i can mtg

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...
I failed at last year's quasi-resolution :v:

P.d0t posted:

So uhhh, hey let's all play some Dungeon World together, I guess..?

My resolution is basically to play some poo poo that is not D&D. Yes, I'm that guy.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
1. Be a better son and brother.
2. Overcome crippling loneliness and depression
3. Finish my projects and pay my employees on time
4. Get to a healthy weight
5. Overcome my self-image issusea
6. Get my CPA license and don't get fired from my new job
7. Don't make memories I'll want to forget
8. Make memories I'll want to remember
9. Come to terms with the fact I'll fail at all my resolutions
10. Come up with a 10th resolution

bahamut
Jan 5, 2004

Curses from all directions!

bahamut 2015 posted:

1) Get a presentable/playable version of my jrpg tabletop emulator game, Endless Adventures, done. Even if it's only done with the 8-bit aesthetic rather than the 16-bit one I'd originally intended.
2) A holdover from last year's resolutions that didn't happen: Release a core rules version of the Circumstance System.
3) Revisit some other long-idle backburner projects like Tale of Phantasmal Land and Galavant! Space Hijinx.
4) Keep drinking the same or, rather, at least avoid drinking more.

Last year, I said I'd get Endless Adventure done. Surprise, surprise: I didn't. However, I did finish all the mechanical system bits! The hold up was the props/assets needed to actually make it sit-and-go playable. Creating these sorts of things actually seems more time-intensive than the mechanical bits themselves. I guess finishing Endless Adventures remains my foremost resolution.

Everything else, however, even though I did very little, isn't really an option anymore anytime soon. A hard drive failure killed all my other work and projects, which Endless Adventures only avoided because I had a folder for it on my desktop instead of it being with everything else. This basically takes any Treasure Hunters, Galavant, and Touhou stuff off the table for now. If I can just get some Circumstance System stuff reworked from it's base in Treasure Hunters, I'll be happy with that. Hell, if I can not let basically losing everything diminish what little of my creative spirit remains, that will be an achievement.

I'm pretty sure I drank more. This is directly linked to a more erratic work schedule than the year previous. If a routine emerges, I'm apt to drink less. If the status quo is maintained, I'll probably keep drinking more. I'm not optimistic, so no promises there.

Keep the local campaign I got involved with at the start of this year going, or if it ends, replace it with something else. In the case of the latter, try to encourage the others to branch out from stock D&D.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

TG-related resolutions:

1. Finish another campaign. I actually managed a whole Dungeon World campaign in 2015, though it did turn into a clusterfuck that I was tired of by the end. This time maybe Savage Worlds.
2. Have more fun GMing. I'm a stick-in-the-mud GM and I know it. It's tough to just lighten up and have some fun sometimes.
3. Actually play in a campaign instead of always forever GMing.

Non-TG-related resolutions:

1. Lose weight again. Lost a shitload of weight a few years ago, gained some back, time to get rid of that.
2. Spend more time reading, less time playing video games.
3. Spend more time writing, too.

Serf
May 5, 2011

1. Continue running my PBP game and be more consistent with my posting.
2. Start a Roll20 game
3. Find an affordable 1-person apartment or get a new roommate
4. Maintain the minimal acceptable functionality of an adult human

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...
Non-TG:

I already walk or jog home from work (barring lovely weather and stuff like that)
So, I've set a goal of walking/jogging 2016 miles before The Run for the Cure, in October. And, uh, yeah I wanna run in that thing, so I should see about raising money and stuff :ohdear:

I also decided I'm gonna post YouTube links to songs I listen to while jogging, twice a week on Facebook, just for fun :)

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

In 2016 I want to:

-Still be GM'ing for Dresden Files
-Still be playing a bunch of Exalted
-Still be working no matter how much I hate my job
-Go back to the gym 2-3 times a week, and start swimming regularly.

(Basic life maintenance, been doing this stuff since 2013)

-Get married (after 5+ years of being engaged)
-Get Diamond on Summoner's Rift in League of Legends
-Finish a novel and start shopping it to publishers
-Cosplay at Comicon again this year
-Move to a new apartment or possibly a house (gasp)

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
I will resist the urge to buy x wings.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Lichtenstein posted:

I will resist the urge to buy x wings.

Lol, no you won't.

For my part, mine are simple:

Do more cool things
Be nicer to myself

I could elaborate, but I want to keep things simple this year.

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
Game crap:
1. Finish one of the serious, larger games I've been working on.
2. Run an Apoc World campaign where people actually show up reliably.
3. Figure out if Blades in the Dark is actually anything I want or need in my life.

Life crap:
4. Finish my dissertation. Or at least get it into a place where that's easy.
5. Drink less.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
I remember my 2015 resolutions and I carry my shame for not doing them.

1) Poast OP/review for Degenesis

2) Run quest thread.

0/2

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
1) ACTUALLY RUN A GAME THIS YEAR
2) Apply for, take, and pass the PE exam
3) Prove that I'm capable of taking up a new hobby on my own by finishing and wearing that cosplay I have half-assembled
4) Actually be a better person in real life

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
1. Paint at least as much of my 6mm Baccus as I did last year (so 9 regiments and 8 artillery pieces, plus some terrain).

2. Slam some hams in person, perhaps even with fellow TG posters.

3. Run a 10k with at least 9 minute splits, or a 5k with 8:30 splits.

4. Save some money to buy a house in 2018.

Jopoho
Feb 17, 2012
I plan to GM something, probably a one-shot. Not super aspirational, but making the player to GM transition seems daunting.

Along the same lines I want to draft up a one-shot adventure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
-Get a regular RPG running, of any kind, and sustain it for at least four sessions!
-Make more nerd friends!
-Get a decent amount of savings in the bank by end of year!

edit: that thread icon would be fantastic for a Yakuza LP

Captain Walker fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jan 14, 2016

• Locked thread