Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Back in the early '90s, Nintendo was probably concerned that children were spending too much time playing video games and not doing boring things like learning. So they teamed up with a fairly well-known publisher of educational software "The Software Toolworks" to create a series of games, starring Mario characters, with the goal to help children learn.

These games were, almost to a one, pretty bad. Software Toolworks had better luck getting children to learn with Carmen Sandiego and Mavis Beacon, but some of the titles still stick in people's minds.

Thus enters Mario is Missing, the game so nice they made it thrice. No, seriously. There are three different versions out there. We're gonna be concerned with the SNES version because it's not as ugly as the NES one, and infinitely more playable than the one made for DOS.

The basic idea of the game is you wander around some real-world location while talking to the locals. When you first arrive in a city, you have no idea where you are, so while wandering around you need to work that out. Along the way, you'll find a bunch of red koopas infesting the streets. Some koopas are holding valuable artifacts. You need to take those artifacts back and return them to the locations they're missing from.

Yeah, it's a pretty complicated way to force a child to learn about world geography.

I'm operating from the assumption that Mario is Missing failed in its primary goal. It was a bad game because it was boring and repetitive, and the only reason it got half the attention it did was the fairly catchy title. My goal is to correct that failure, because we're gonna learn some poo poo in this thread.

Each update will be split into two parts. The first part will be video content where I play through the level and try to stay sane. Joining me after the first video will be Zeratanis. He's never played this game before. The second part of each update will be be a write-up about the cities we visit and the tourist destinations we find in those cities.

The video half will go up on Mondays, while the actual educational part will go up on Thursdays.

It's a Mario game. We stomp on koopas and we stomp on bosses. I'm not aware of anything that could be spoiled for this game, so let's go in the complete opposite direction of a spoiler policy. That is to say this is a no spoiler tag zone.

EP01 - Actually Learning Stuff

EP02 - Actually Learning Stuff

DoubleNegative fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jan 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Reserved

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Nie wywoluj wilka z lasu, glupku.
Oh my goodness I loved this game.

I even like the weird city designs and slow walking and.... this'll be fun to watch!

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
This looks to be an excellent LP on just the fact that you actually know how to play the game and know the trivia questions. I really loved the world map thing as a kid, because it made me fantasize about a map in my capital city as a child.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Koopas are sharing technology with Carmen Sandiego apparently. How does one get the whole Sistine Chapel ceiling in their shell?

jaclynhyde
May 28, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
I'm one of those weirdos who loved this game as a kid. Looking forward to this LP!

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I enjoyed the video, but you might wanna project a little more. Your voice is a little quiet.

But other than that, it's great. I played this game as a kid, and didn't understand a lick of it, but it passed my mind several times over the years so I'll be following this with interest.

And I for one, fully support a Bowser/Carmen Sandiego team up. Kidnap the princess and no one knows where to.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Welcome, everyone, to the first educational bit in this LP. For this and any of these educational updates, feel free to click on any image that's not taken from inside the game. Doing so will let you see a larger version of said image. It's an especially good idea in this update because there are several classical Renaissance art pieces to look at.

So shall we get started?

The City of Rome

City Theme

: I like pizza, I like pasta. Ciao baby, I'll see you!
: Changed my money to lira at the border. "To the Tiber" was my order.

: Maybe I should wear a suit, because this country is shaped like a boot.
: You could try "Rome-ing" around to figure it out.

: If you brought Italian shoes from home, we could climb the alps for a peek of Rome.
: You're on a boot-shaped peninsula in southern Europe, somewhere in the Mediterranean.

: Your capital is now lira in this capital city. Just do as the Romans do.

: This is sort of a riddle, remember Nero and his fiddle?
: This city was built on 7 hills in 753 BC. It was home to Caesar, the original Italian Stallion.

(Photo by DAVID ILIFF. License: CC-BY-SA 3.0)

Where to begin with Rome? According to Wikipedia, as of the 2014 census, it was the most populous city in Italy, with more than 4 million people living in its metropolitan area. This metropolitan area, I should mention, being more than 1280 square kilometers. Even outside of Italy, it's still gigantic, being the 4th largest city in the EU. That's a pretty drat big city, one worthy of its popular title, the "Capital of the World."

Popular mythology describes Rome's founding with the story of Romulus and Remus. The twins were of partial divine blood, being children of the god Mars. Their mother's uncle, the king of Alba Longa, put them to death by abandoning them in the Tiber river. You see, the two children were the true heirs of the Kingdom of Alba Longa. Through a series of miracles, they were saved and were raised by a shepherd.

Eventually the twins realized their true heritage and, using their natural talent for leadership, rose up in rebellion and deposed their great uncle from his throne. They then restored their grandfather to the throne that had been stolen from him. They were impatient, however, and decided they would rather found a new city than wait to inherit an entire kingdom.

Unfortunately, the twins had two different ideas of where to found the city. They both liked different hills in the region, and eventually they came to blows over the disagreement. Romulus killed Remus and founded the city on the hill he chose, naming the new city after himself - Rome.

Wikipedia is also really adamant about stating that a she-wolf nursed the twins after rescuing them from the river. Like it pops up several times in great detail on both the page for Rome and the Romulus and Remus myth. I guess it was an important detail?

Finally, what would be an informative write-up about Rome be without addressing the elephant in the room?

("Roman Empire Trajan 117AD" by Tataryn - Licensed under CC BY-SA 3.0)

The image above shows the furthest borders of the Roman Empire, in 117 AD, under Emperor Trajan. Look at how far it stretched. From the top parts of England, to most of continental Europe, all of North Africa, most of Egypt and parts of Ethiopia, even a small part of the Arabian peninsula, and all the way to the Indian Ocean through the middle of Syria, Iraq, and Iran. Historians estimate that it covered an area of more than 5 million square kilometers. It was estimated that more than 20% of the total world's population - more than 70 million people - in 117 AD were Roman citizens.

The Empire was so large that after it began to decay, an Emperor rose up in the east to take control of a gigantic section of land, forming the Eastern Roman Empire. The ERE, or as we know it today, the Byzantine Empire, lasted another thousand years after the final death of the western Roman Empire in 476. Two more Roman empires rose in later centuries, the Latin Empire which lasted for approximately 57 years (1204-1261), and the Holy Roman Empire which lasted for nearly 850 years. (962 - 1806)

Why does it suddenly feel like I'm doing a write-up of a particularly unstable Crusader Kings 2 game?

The Colosseum

Missing item:

: Two thumbs up to Latin Manhattan's most famous arena. That's a gladiator harpoon you've got there.
: That's from that colossal arena! It sat 50,000 ancient Roman dudes!
: When gladiators met lions in the Colosseum, they used that spear to try and flee 'em.
: That's a spear... the Colosseum is where it belongs, et tu?
: The arena was built by an emperor way back in AD 72, no wonder it's in ruins. That spear is in good shape, though.

("Colosseum in Rome, Italy - April 2007" by Diliff - Licensed under CC BY-SA 2.5)

Before we begin with the tourist attractions, a lot of these have appeared in films, tv shows, and so on. So most of the entries for these are gonna have an "In Popular Culture" section on wikipedia. It is my intention to find the dumbest entry in each and add it somewhere in the write-up.

The Colosseum is perhaps one of the most iconic sights from Rome. Think of a movie set in Rome and at some point they will be in this structure having a gladiator fight. It's one of those laws of movie-making. I may or may not be thinking solely of Gladiator, so don't quote me on that.

Construction began in 72 AD, under Emperor Vespasian, and 8 years later it was finished under the rule of Emperor Titus. Modifications were added during the next 15 years under Emperor Domitian. Collectively these three emperors were known as the Flavian Dynasty and it is from them that the Colosseum gets its other name, the Flavian Ampitheatre.

While the Colosseum did indeed hold many gladiatorial battles and other such forms of entertainment, it eventually stopped being used for such reasons during the early Medieval Era, eventually being used for housing, workshops, a fortress, a quarry, even a Christian shrine. It is now one of the most popular tourist spots in Rome.

Sadly, the interior of the Colosseum is ruined. Whereas before it could host between 50 and 80,000 people for an event, now only a few hundred could be seated inside - and only with temporary seating. Though there is an ongoing effort to restore the Colosseum to its old glory. A 2014 estimate expects the restoration to conclude sometime in 2016.

The "In Popular Culture" section of the Colosseum page on Wikipedia doesn't have a particularly dumb entry. So here's a few of the less useful ones:

• In the 2003 movie The Core, the Colosseum is destroyed by huge bolts of lightning.
  • The Colosseum was featured as one of the locations of Vitaly's travelling circus in the animated film Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted (2012).
  • The Colosseum features prominently in the video game Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood.
  • A scene from the 2008 film Jumper was filmed in the Colosseum.
  • In the 2003 film The Lizzie McGuire Movie, Lizzie McGuire performed as Isabella Parigi for the Italian Music Awards.

The Trevi Fountain

Missing item:

: Legend says, over your shoulder before you go home. If they go in the Trevi, you'll come back to Rome.
: Can I add my two cents to your little speech? Those coins are worth two wishes each.
: Those coins got wet in one of the most famous landmarks in Rome.
: I hope you have the "cents" to return those coins to the Fountain of Trevi.
: To coin a phrase, a lira for your wish. The Trevi was built in 1762 -- don't bean the fish!

("Fontana0307" by FelipeBusnello. Licensed under Public Domain)

The Trevi fountain was built in 1762 and is the largest Baroque fountain in Rome. It was designed by Nicola Salvi, and work began in 1732. Sadly, Salvi died 11 years before the fountain's completion, and work on the fountain was completed by Giuseppe Pannini.

The fountain has been restored twice since then, once in 1998 and again in 2014. The 1998 restoration scrubbed the fountain, repaired cracks, and installed a water re-circulator. The most recent restoration was started in June of 2014 and finished on November 3rd, 2015. The work included the installation of more than 100 LED lights to improve nighttime illumination.

Mario is Missing makes a huge deal of the act of throwing coins in the fountain. You're supposed to face away from the fountain and throw a coin over your left shoulder. If it lands in the fountain, then you will return to Rome. Wikipedia claims that more than 3,000 Euros are thrown in the fountain every day, and while there are attempts to steal the money, the vast majority of it is used by Rome to subsidize a supermarket for the needy.

In popular culture....

• The fountain is also featured in the 1963 film Gidget Goes to Rome and the 2003 The Lizzie McGuire Movie.
  • The fountain itself is also a stage in Tekken Tag Tournament 2.
  • In Season 2, Episode 5 of the anime Strike Witches, in an impromptu tour of Rome, Francesca Lucchini explains to her newfound friend Maria the significance and symbolism of Trevi Fountain.

It's really important that the factoid about Strike Witches was added to the page for this cultural landmark. It really brings everything together.

The Sistine Chapel

Missing item:

: My guidebook says that's Michaelangelo's greatest work.
: The artist stood on a scaffold for over 4 years. Mom won't let me draw on the walls for even five minutes.
: Michaelangelo was up for painting ceilings! That's his masterpiece.
: The Pope went through the roof when that turned up missing. The Vatican isn't the same without it.
: That belongs in the Sistine Chapel. Sistine means "six" in Latin.

("Chapelle sixtine plafond". Licensed under Public Domain via Commons)

("Creación de Adám" by Michelangelo - Licensed under Public Domain via Commons)

("Eventos de la vida de Moisés" by Sandro Botticelli - Licensed under Public Domain via Commons)

("Entrega de las llaves a San Pedro" by Pietro Perugino - Licensed under Public Domain via Commons)

("The Last Judgement" by Michelangelo - Licensed under Public Domain via Commons)

The Sistine Chapel is the official Papal residence. It is also where the College of Cardinals convenes to select a new Pope. However, its true fame comes from the frescoes that cover every inch of the interiors, many of which I included above. It feels like I could say more about it, but to be honest I can't stop staring at the frescoes.

Of particular interest to us is the ceiling, where the Creation of Adam is displayed. It was the ceiling that the koopas stole. Popular myth holds that Michaelangelo lied on his back while painting, but according to History.com, he stood while painting. The stress of doing so caused him great enough pain that he wrote a poem about it. Despite his complaints, the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel remains absolutely beautiful 500 years later.

There is no "In Popular Culture" entry on the Sistine Chapel itself, though there is one for the ceiling. Despite the claims otherwise, there is also no pop culture entry for The Creation of Adam.

• In many works, the painting of God and Adam are parodied. See The Creation of Adam for more.
  • In the film 2012, the entire College of Cardinals are seen praying silently under the ceiling. The ceiling then starts to crack, commencing at the point where God's and Adam's fingers nearly touch, dividing the two.
  • In Life After People: The Series, the Sistine chapel is seen falling after 500 years.
  • Playwright Neil Simon's quote about the Sistine floor-"If no one took any risks, Michaelangelo would have painted the Sistine floor."
  • In the 2009 film Angels & Demons and also in the 2000 book on which the film is based, the chapel is featured throughout the story.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I enjoyed the video, but you might wanna project a little more. Your voice is a little quiet.

I'll definitely work on improving this in the future. It can be a bit hard at times for me to tell when things are too loud or too quiet. My headphones are surprisingly sensitive.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

That was a nice educational post. I like this type of LP.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

DoubleNegative posted:

I'll definitely work on improving this in the future. It can be a bit hard at times for me to tell when things are too loud or too quiet. My headphones are surprisingly sensitive.

I'm not sure how you're doing it but try and speak from the diaphragm. It gives you more control over your voice and is better for use with microphones.

I don't know why I'm telling you this though because you neglected to mention the fantastic little sandwich shop right near the Coliseum so I'M UNFOLLOWING THIS THREAD AND BURNING MY COMPUTER IN RAGE.

(no but really, if anyone ever gets the chance to, there's a great little sandwich shop next to the Coliseum and if I ever get the chance to go back to Rome it'll be for those sandwiches first, the sights second)

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I don't know why I'm telling you this though because you neglected to mention the fantastic little sandwich shop right near the Coliseum so I'M UNFOLLOWING THIS THREAD AND BURNING MY COMPUTER IN RAGE.

(no but really, if anyone ever gets the chance to, there's a great little sandwich shop next to the Coliseum and if I ever get the chance to go back to Rome it'll be for those sandwiches first, the sights second)

This brings up a point I meant to make. I'm almost certainly gonna miss stuff when doing these write-ups, so if you guys want to share something I didn't mention? Share away. The more we collectively learn in this thread, the better.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

DoubleNegative posted:

This brings up a point I meant to make. I'm almost certainly gonna miss stuff when doing these write-ups, so if you guys want to share something I didn't mention? Share away. The more we collectively learn in this thread, the better.

In popular culture: Romulus and Remus are planets in Star Trek. The Romulans live there, and they are basically Roman empire-inspired bastards.

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

DoubleNegative posted:

Of particular interest to us is the ceiling, where the Creation of Adam is displayed. It was the ceiling that the koopas stole. Popular myth holds that Michaelangelo lied on his back while painting, but according to History.com, he stood while painting. The stress of doing so caused him great enough pain that he wrote a poem about it. Despite his complaints, the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel remains absolutely beautiful 500 years later.

How can you bring this up without posting it?

quote:

I’ve grown a goiter from this trap I’m in,
as cats do from foul water in Lombardy,
or some such place, wherever it may be.
My stomach’s almost up against my chin,

My beard points skyward, at my nape the store
of memory dangles, I’ve grown a harpy’s breast,
and from above, my dripping brush, for jest,
transforms my face into a mosaic floor.

And while my haunches press into my gut,
my rear end serves as a steady counterweight.
My feet tread blindly somewhere down below.

In front I feel my skin stretched lengthwise, but
in back it crimps and folds. This is my state:
arched and indented like a Syrian bow.

Not to be trusted, though,
are the strange thoughts that through my mind now run,
for who can shoot straight through a crooked gun?

My painting’s dead. I’m done.
Giovanni, friend, remove my honor’s taint,
I’m not in a good place, I cannot paint.

(Translated from the Italian by Joel Agee)

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest
The Sistine Chapel ceiling apparently didn't make the cut for The Lizzie McGuire Movie, which confirms it as a poo poo-tier piece of Roman cultural heritage.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
At first I thought this was one of the legion of bad educational games that were everywhere during my childhood. Now I know that that is exactly what this is, but it is also a pretty good LP. Please continue!

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
I got a piece of trivia for you! "Colosseum" is actually a nickname, which over time became the actual name. It's derived from the fact that near the arena there was originally a really big statue of emperor Nero. A statue so big, in fact, that you might call it... colossal. Therefore, people started calling the arena "that one building next to the colossal statue", or "colosseum" for short :hist101:

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Update! I don't have a proper update image yet. That'll come later when I have some time to sit down and play with Photoshop some. So in the meantime, here's video 2. It's set in Beijing, China and is co-starring Zeratanis.

DoubleNegative fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jan 7, 2016

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Zeratanis brings up an interesting point with the lack of police involvement - it's not brought up in the SNES version, but in the DOS version, you're actually contacted by the authorities of each city when you enter it and told to recover the landmarks. Having Luigi fix things is their plan.

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

DoubleNegative posted:

(Photo by DAVID ILIFF. License: CC-BY-SA 3.0)

Although you don't discuss it, we're looking at St. Peter's Basilica. Pope Julius II commissioned the destruction of the old St. Peter's and the creation of a new seat for the Papacy, with the foundation laid in 1506. Several architects worked on this building in succession, including Michelangelo, who designed the dome we now see; the building was completed in 1626. St. Peter's Piazza was worked on between 1656 and 1667 in a redesign by Gian Lorenzo Bernini, who added the massive colonnades at the sides, though not the stone obelisk, which was placed in 1586.

Pope Sixtus V is well known for his contributions in finishing St. Peter's (such as the dome), and also envisioning a mass redesign of Rome by Domenico Fontana. Although many of Fontana's plans were realized, most were never completed.

(Roma di Giovanni Battista Nolli, 1748, published by Istituto di Studi Romani, Rome, 1962. Rough translation to English by me.)

That gets me on the subject of the design of cities. Roman cities, as Imperial Chinese cities, were typically planned as a square in construction. Here's Beijing under the Ming dynasty (1368-1644):

(Vector by Kallgan. Licensed into the public domain.)

Rome is an obvious exception, if you'll look above. Beijing was relocated several times within the same area under different dynasties, allowing the city to be replanned to a certain extent, while Rome remained in the same place over the centuries. IMO the fact that Rome is on hills and Beijing isn't probably also had something to do with it.

Although I don't know a good resource for Chinese city design, I urge everyone to read David Macaulay's excellent City for details on Roman city design.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

I edited the update image into Monday's post, but here it is again for the sake of reference.

Anyway, today's educational update is postponed until sometime tomorrow. I've got most of the framework laid out, but I just need to get the actual important stuff put to paper.

It would have been finished today but... AGDQ. So go watch that!

Also the posts with stuff I missed are awesome, so keep those coming!

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The City of Beijing

City Theme

: Chinese culture is extremely ancient, 3000 years old or more.
: Beijing is the largest city in the country, covering 6486 square miles.

: It's now called the People's Republic of China.
: Don't let it phase ya, but it's the biggest country in Asia.

: The Chinese can boast, they're on the Pacific's west coast.
: This Chinese city can boast of being a capital for 800 years.

: You're on Chan An Avenue, Beijing's Main Street.

: It's capital, Beijing, used to be called Peking.
: Peeking into my guide book, I see I'll need chopsticks and a pocket full of yuan, excuse my Mandarin.

"View of Beijing" by ahenobarbus - Flickr. Licensed under CC BY 2.0 via Commons

A 2012 image of the Beijing Skyline. Financial street is in the foreground, while the Central Business District is in the background.

"Beijing City at Night" by Hallucinogen - "http://digipraim.com/591758-beijing-city-at-night.html"

This is from a wallpaper website. It's kind of difficult to find good skylines that aren't from flickr or GettyImages.

Befitting China being the most populous nation in the world, its capital Beijing is the 10th most populous city in the world. A 2013 census claimed that there were more than 21 million people living in its city limits. The urban area of the city only cover 528 square miles (1,368 square kilometers), while the rural area around the city covers over 5,800 square miles (15,042 square kilometers). It's pretty drat big.

"Chang'an avenue in Beijing" by Australian cowboy. Licensed under GFDL via Commons

The caption says this is morning traffic on Chang'an Avenue.

The police lady mentioned Chan An Avenue, which doesn't seem to really exist. However there is a Chang'an Avenue, which is the road directly in front of Tiananman Square. It's a monster-sized road, being ten lanes across, with some special regulations that forbid trucks and freight vehicles, as well as commercial advertisements. The road was widened to those ten lanes in 2009, as part of the 60th anniversary of the founding of the PRC. (People's Republic of China)

"Beijing smog comparison August 2005" by Bobak -Licensed under CC BY-SA 2.5 via Commons

According to the caption on wikipedia, the image on the left was taken after two days of rain, while the image on the right was taken on what should have been a sunny day.

Due to being such a gigantic city, it has pretty severe air quality issues. The image above is ten years old, and things have only gotten worse since. In early December, 2015 the smog in the city was so bad that an alert was issued which shut down a large portion of the businesses and industries in the city for the day. A 2013 measurement conducted over the US embassy revealed that the smog was a density of 755 micrograms per cubic meter. The US Environmental Protection Agency's scale of smog didn't go that high, which means the severity of the smog was literally off the charts.

The WHO (World Health Organization), I should mention, says the safe limit for the fine particles that create smog is a daily average of 25 micrograms per cubic meter. Finally, as bad as Beijing sounds, New Delhi in India is even worse.

The Gate of Heavenly Peace

Missing item:

: This heavenly gate was built in the 4th century by Emperor Yung Lee.
: It's the great gate to the Emperor's house in Forbidden City, built by Yung Lee.
: The Emperor's guards stood under that to keep everyone else out!
: That's the gate of Heavenly Peace. Put it back on Tian An Men square.
: The Emperor had a bad temper, and only he could pass through that gate.

"Tiananmen beijing Panorama" by 张瑜 - Licensed under Public Domain via Commons

This was taken on the 60th anniversary of the PRC's founding.

"Forbiddencitythroneroom01" - Licensed under Public Domain via Commons

This is the throne in the Hall of Preserving Harmony.

The Gate of Heavenly Peace can be translated as Tiananmen, and is commonly referred to as the entrance of the Forbidden City. However, the Tiananmen is really the entrance to the Imperial City, which contains within it the Forbidden City proper. The infamous Tiananmen Square is on the other side of Chang'an Avenue from the gate.

The gate was built in 1420 and has been destroyed and rebuilt several times since. First it was struck by lightning in 1457 and burned down. It was rebuilt in 1465 and lasted until 1644 when it was burned down by rebels. The next year efforts to rebuild the gate began, and work lasted for six years. Finally the gate was renovated between 1969 and 1970. The renovations made the gate more resistant to earthquakes, while also adding modern amenities like heating, an elevator, and a water supply.

Next we have the Forbidden City proper. It served as the Imperial Palace of both the Ming and Qing dynasties, for a period of nearly 500 years, between 1420 and 1912. UNESCO lists the palace as both a World Heritage site and the largest collection of preserved ancient wooden structures in the world. Today it is a gigantic museum, and is the most visited museum in the world.

Now it's time to address the elephant in the room. It's impossible to discuss the Forbidden City or the Tiananmen without talking about what happened between April 15th and June 4th in 1989. Naturally there is a lot that this overview will miss, so I seriously recommend you read up on what happened to get a better understanding. With that said...

© Stuart Franklin / Magnum Photos

The protests were demonstrations against the Communist government, led by students. They were sparked after liberal reformer General Secretary of the Communist Party, Hu Yaobang, was deposed. The protesters wanted accountability from the government, freedom of the press, freedom of speech, and to restore control over industry to the workers.

By mid-May the protests had spread to 400 cities and the government, which had initially been somewhat conciliatory, decided enough was enough. Martial law was declared on May 20, and nearly 300,000 members of the Chinese army attempted to enter Beijing to put the protests down forcibly if need be. Things came to a head on June 3rd when the leaders in Beijing decided to enforce the martial law and use "any means necessary" to clear the streets.

What followed was a massacre. The Chinese troops opened fire on the protesters, using a special type of ammunition which expands on impact, creating more severe wounds. Official numbers place the total fatalities between 2 and 300, while unofficial estimates are several times higher, with Amnesty International estimating closer to 1000.

The image above was taken on June 5th. This lone man stood defiantly in front of an entire column of tanks to halt their progress. Unfortunately there is no reliable information on the man's identity, and to this day he is merely known as "Tank Man."

In Popular Culture...

The "in popular culture" section is just a list of movies and TV shows that were actually filmed in the Forbidden City, and not particularly entertaining. While there is an "In Popular Culture" entry for both Tank Man and the Tiananmen Riots, I'm understandably not going to link to either.

Great Wall

Missing item:

: That brick from China's Wall is 23 centuries old!
: Totally rad -- it's a brick from the only man-made thing on earth an astronaut can see from space.
: That's from China's Great Wall, build to keep out barbarians like that evil Bowser. Hope you find Mario soon!
: I'll tell you where that brick belongs... in a wall that's 3946 miles long.
: The Great Wall is so wide, five horses can run on it, side by side.

"Chemin de ronde muraille long" by Fabien Dany - https://www.fabiendany.com. Licensed under CC BY-SA 2.5 via Commons

Ah the Great Wall of China. It's estimated to be over 13,000 miles (21,196km) long, and roughly separates China from Mongolia. The length I just quoted, however, also measures all the different branches of the wall. I seriously doubt those who originally built the wall would know how long it would last, or that it would give its name to 10,000 different restaurants on another continent, in an entirely different century.

Many sections of the wall are well kept and have even been renovated. Those sections near Beijing are in particularly good condition. However sections of the Wall in more rural areas have been looted for building materials, or serve as a playground for local children. A report from 2012 claims that nearly 1200 miles (1961 km) of the wall have vanished due to various reasons including theft and erosion. See, in the western part of China, large sections of the wall are made from mud instead of brick and stone.

Popular myth claims that the Wall is visible from space. Indeed, one of the NPCs in the game even parrots that at us. The sad truth is that the wall is the same color as the dirt surrounding it, and is at its widest points 30 feet (9.1m) wide. NASA astronauts claim that in perfect conditions, the wall is theoretically visible from low Earth orbit. William Pogue, an astronaut, was only able to see the Wall from space while using binoculars. He said that "it wasn't visible to the unaided eye."

In Popular Culture...

There is somehow no "popular culture" section on the Great Wall. I'm not sure if I should be impressed or not.

Hall of Good Harvest

Missing item:

: The Good Harvest Hall, most famous shrine of all, dates from the 15th century.
: That neat wooden building was actually built without nails, screws, or cement.
: Good Heavens! That round building belongs in the walled park known as the Temple of Heaven.
: The Good Harvest Hall goes in the center of it all, in the Temple of Heaven Park.
: Once a year the Emperor slept there, praying that the farmers would have a good year.

"11 Temple of Heaven" by Philip Larson. Licensed under CC BY-SA 2.0 via Commons

The Temple of Heaven is part of a larger temple complex in the southeastern part of central Beijing. It's commonly referred to as a Daoist temple, though the practice of worshipping Heaven has been around for longer than Daoism. The temple complex was built between 1406 and 1420 by the same emperor who built the Forbidden City. Most of the pertinent information about the tower was stated by the NPCs, though they did miss the fact that the tower burnt down in 1889, and had to be rebuilt.

Yet again there is also no "in popular culture" section for the Hall of Good Harvest. :shrug:

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

I wonder how you spell Tabasco.
Whoa, hell. I had no idea this came out on anything but the NES. This looks much better than the game I played only to try and ride Yoshi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Fun fact: any information relating to the Tiananmen protest is strictly controlled in China. They have regular patrols on the anniversary of June 4th to arrest anyone trying to make a scene.

There is a generation in China that has no idea anything at all happened there.

• Locked thread