Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

NihilCredo posted:

I'd have enjoyed if it had turned out that Charlie's fight against Fate was legitimately the Greater Good and Parson had decided to put past grudges aside and turn to his side for real.

Sadly that looks like it isn't going to be the case. Instead it seems Charlie conveniently forgot about the portal defence setup just long enough to move the plot ahead.

Latest comic shows that he didn't forget- we already knew that Lilith's attack on the tower has vastly slowed down how quickly he can do things with the dish, and now we know that the information just didn't get relayed to the portal team quickly enough after Parson changed sides.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006

khy posted:

Have we seen the opposite? Perhaps it's more like the gems must be BOUGHT with schmuckers, and it isn't an instant conversion?

I think Moneymancers can turn Schmuckers into gems; didn't Ben refuse to do that to send money to Slately?

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Looks like a bullet ricocheted off another portal- I guess that means that Charlie's done something to his portal specifically to let gunfire through and it won't work on other portals.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006

Kyte posted:

Oh and http://archives.erfworld.com/Book%203/122
Plan Success. (Why did I think it was the higher of half treasury/5 mil?)

You may have been thinking of the 500k minimum fee.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006

Rand Brittain posted:

I think the main problem here is going to be that the truce is still in effect. Charlie has stated his willingness to blow 140 million on killing everybody, and to be honest he can afford it. Gobwin Knob can't afford that. If Charlie sends in ten Archons, they can't risk engaging.

I don't see why; every shot fired by either side gives the other 5 million, so they'll be trading money back and forth. Even better if they can get "neutral" casters (Marie is likely, others less so but possible if they see the invasion) to do some damage while they just screen and rack up a huge bill.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006

nimby posted:

He's already died, so I don't think you could really have expected him to have Fate protection.

Eh, they just had a conversation about how the Arkenpliers give Fate a loophole. If he was Fated to do something, he could very well die first so long as he gets Decrypted first. He'd just have to have Fate's protection from the second death.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006

Ytlaya posted:

^^^ Parson needs to explain to Wanda that her actions are also factored into Fate/the future and that there's no reason for her to actively try to reach some Fateful outcome. Unless she thinks that Fate is so weak that her own actions can prevent its preordained outcomes. I don't mind having her as a character who is obsessed with the concept of Fate, but the way she goes about things seems really dumb.

I don't think you get Wanda's philosophy. She doesn't think Fate can be prevented, it's just that most of life isn't Fated one way or another and Fate doesn't particularly care how Fated events come to pass, just that they do. She believes that anyone trying to avoid Fated events will suffer, and people trying to bring about Fated events won't. Trying to fight Fate is both futile and painful, therefore she tries to take the easy path towards something that's Fated instead.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006

Carrasco posted:

Oh boy. We knew he was a traitor, but not "the highest ranking archon ever to leave Charlescomm".

I also like the line "He's not Decrypted, I don't expect him to see the urgency" which is a really tactful way to refer to one's own supernatural, unswerving devotion.

She's saying that she is the highest ranking archon to ever leave Charlescomm, and thus is better at negotiating than Stanley and should be the one who engages in diplomacy.

The focus on Thomas is to imply that he's the proper target of the diplomacy.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006

Cat Mattress posted:

I agree with Sefer that the line refers to the archon in GK, but I don't think it's her who is saying that line: she's the one who objected to diplomacy and the chief warlord is the one dismissing the idea of using Stanley and claiming there's no alternative than diplomacy. He's telling her he's got a mission for her, basically.

Yeah, you're right, I wasn't paying enough attention to who was speaking.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006

Cat Mattress posted:

yes - he's fl***** (flinching? flemish? flamoral?)

Flexible

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

One thing that's not clear is whether "Royal" is a tag a side can have that causes it to pop Royal units, or whether the term Royal only applies to units so that any side with a Royal ruler is Royal by default. If a Prince is traded to a non-Royal side and is made heir apparent, does that side become Royal? Does it become Royal when he ascends to the throne? Do you need to have a King or Queen in charge to pop Royal units? Does a Royal side with a non-Royal heir apparent cease to become Royal if every Royal unit croaks? What if only the Ruler does? Can such a side still pop Royal units?

Evidence from the comic implies to me that Royalty is a trait intrinsic to a side which causes it to pop Royals, but also that any side founded by a Royal becomes Royal. Royalty perpetuates itself. I would guess that a Royal becoming Ruler of a non-Royal side makes it Royal. Not sure how the tag can be removed, if at all. If Caesar still pops the heir, I think it will be a Prince or Princess.

The Turnamancer's reaction certainly implies that the heir will still be Royal, and that whether the side stays Royal depends on whether he takes over as Overlord or as Regent- in the later case Royalty is still in charge, in the former it's not. Gobwin Knob used to be a Royal side, but it's not now that it has an Overlord instead of a King, so Overlords taking over seem to remove the tag. Whether a side can become Royal hasn't really been explored though; from what I recall the original 99 sides were all Royal, but various sides have stopped being Royal (either because they were founded by a non-Royal like Charlie or because a non-Royal was heir). I don't think there's ever been mention of a non-Royal side becoming Royal.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006

Reene posted:

My prediction is Janis turns the moment she's decrypted. They've been foreshadowing it for pages by repeatedly bringing up that decrypted units can do that; it's really a matter of who at this point, not if, and Janis makes the most sense.

Turn to who? Wouldn't she need to turn to a side? In that she wants Parson to stop war, I don't know what side would have a bigger draw for her loyalty than Gobwin Knob.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006

PMush Perfect posted:

There's two possibilities I see that make this whole thing worthwhile.
1) There was a timeskip, and he does have the 'shoes.
2) The scroll didn't work as intended specifically because of something Jed and/or Maggy did that they couldn't before.

3) The scroll didn't work as intended because it was cast by a state 3. Linked casters can do some very different things that single casters, and that may extend to the effects of scrolls. In particular, linking with a Turnamancer is a good way to justify giving a unit extra time, if Parson went home, got the shoes, and came back without a turn passing on Erfworld.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006

Phenotype posted:

Well, the end of the comic was going to be finding a way to break the cycle of war on Erfworld. They've touched on it quite a few times, the Hippies' original prophecy for Parson, discussions about how the economy mechanics force sides into conflict, even that (for once) worthwhile aside where we saw the POV of some Archon and her experiments with getting eggs out of chickens. I'm interested in that story, but it's just gotten lost at this point.

I thought that the way to do this was have Gobwin Knob slowly conquer everyone, turning them into decrypted units to get around the issue of upkeep. Maybe decrypt some rulers and have whole other decrypted sides subservient to Wanda. When almost no one on Erfworld requires upkeep anymore, then no wars need to be fought for resources. It doesn't look like that's the way the story is going, though.