Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?

Phenotype posted:

A handful of things are leaving me confused after the last few pages: Parson gets Charlie's claim for damages from Lilith shooting up his tower, and then he hits Parley...and then, I'm assuming the parley happened offscreen? And as part of it, somehow, Parson is now wearing a spiffy suit and is going to be a Charlescomm unit? But in that case, why shoot up Parson and the Magic Kingdom? I thought that was Charlie's final card to prevent Parson from invading him through the Magic Kingdom -- he already said how ruinously expensive it would be, and how it would ruin his social channels. It doesn't seem characteristic of Charlie to somehow not tell the Archons to stand down until 5 seconds before Parson comes through the portal. In fact, if it wasn't for Marie delaying Parson, he would have been through the portal before Charlie had ever tried to call off the order.

Because of the damage Lilith caused to his tower Charlie's communications are all hosed up and much slower than usual. His message was finally being relayed to stand down just as Parson was coming through the portal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

Jack isn't protected though. :ohdear:

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

Is that blood on Parson or mud from the ground? Can't tell the difference between red and brown/green sometimes since I'm color-blind. If it is blood, whose is it? I don't think it showed him being shot or anyone bleeding near where he fell.

If it WAS blood, which it's not, it would have to be Parson's. He's the only one in Erfworld that can bleed.

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

NihilCredo posted:

They don't look like burns at all to me, before reading this thread I thought it had got hit by a hail of paver stones or something.

As for you, it might be trypophobia. Don't look it up.

It's a marshmallow. The burns are caramelized sugar. :3:

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I feel like I am missing something very obvious but who is that dollamancer supposed to be?

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

Onmi posted:

It just seems like his kind of exploit "Shoot my troops and I ping you for 5 Mil, don't and then right when they're in range they change allegiance and immediately become able to assault you. Then all I have to do is have Caeser order them to break and then have him trade allegiance back to GK, making you lose 5 mil on each attack."

And there's nearly zero chance it could be used back against him. After all, who would trust Charlescomm enough to transfer units over to them?

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

The impression I get is that they're more worried about the Archons with guns than anything Jillian is fielding. And I don't think Charlie would just give his Archons away to another side. They're still likely working directly for Charlie and are thus bound by the rules.

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

A.o.D. posted:

The only real requirement to be king is that you have more guys with swords that are willing to say that you're the king than there are guys without swords who are willing to insist that you're not the king.

I don't know if that's necessarily the case in Erfworld. Since units can pop as "noble" or "royalty" you probably need to have one of those flags to be considered a King or Queen. Even if not it'd be an especially hard argument to make with an heir about to be popped(or not).

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

If she decrypts a bunch of casters just think of all the cool side stories we can get in the next book!

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I must admit I had totally forgotten about those two.

Possibly because of how long this is taking.

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I think NO DICE might be my favorite sound effect.

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

Phenotype posted:

I still couldn't say whether Wanda ends up dead at the end of all this.

Maybe she'll decrypt herself.

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

Zoe posted:

So this whole contract between the sides can just be completely ignored on Charlie's end, that's the impression I've been getting every time the archons do anything.

That sort of thing is probably the reason no one likes carniemancers.

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

Airspace posted:

Honestly, I liked Wanda back when she was the second in command to less-chill Stanley and not really the 'avatar of Fate' or whatever she claims herself to be now.

I mean the insights on how the undead work is nice, but it seems like Wanda skates by with less effort than the guy who literally is named 'Protagonist'.

How did I never notice this? :psyduck:

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

Maybe the skin tone is due to the new color person?

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

jng2058 posted:

Shirley....Temple. :doh:

Sigh.

I love it.

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

Kyte posted:

The Fox News logo is obvious, but what company is the Arkendish Network parodying?

Dish Network.

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

Phenotype posted:

I check Erfworld on Tuesday and Friday nights, and I read Order of the Stick whenever I see a new update in the thread here. Those are the only two I ever pay any attention to. :shrug:

I'm actually kinda shocked there's so much more grumbling about late updates here than in the OOTS thread -- Erfworld pumps out at least one comic every week, even if they fall short of two occasionally. I feel like we're lucky to get two OOTS in a month.

I think the part that "bothers" me most is that Erfworld has a team working on it. A team they specifically asked for more money to put together so they could guarantee a schedule. Rich is just one guy with health problems and a wildly over successful kickstarter that hosed him over.

I mostly just check both comics when I notice new posts in either thread.

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

isndl posted:

Comedy option, they gently caress up the weirdomancy and pull in the rest of his gaming group who are currently raiding his condemned hobbit hole for his dice.

This is probably what will happen. After all what this story needs is more point of view characters.

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

Zoe posted:

This seems a fine time for the plot to go off on such a tangent with no pacing issues at all!

Seriously. Holy poo poo do I feel like they need a better outline for the plot. If Parson really is off to the real world to hunt down the Arkenshoes this should have been the kickoff point for the next chapter and not in the middle of 2-3 still ongoing subplots.

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

I guarantee you that if parson is on earth again and there’s a whole plot arc about him getting back it’ll take at least a year of real time to resolve

Now that I think about it I'd find it pretty funny if the next comic is just him poofing back in with the shoes and the entire earth plot is resolved entirely out of comic.

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

So it turns out the answer was the friends Parson made along the way.

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

Grogquock posted:

The guts of this world are that it occurs in a rule based system, which the author is apparently partly developing on the fly and the main adversary can immediately and flagrantly break the rules, its really some kinda floppy dick masturbation to reverse establish those rules. At least when Parson was the one doing this stuff, the rules tended to be mused on or set up before hand and then exploited within the system but I guess that's harder to write since he hasn't done poo poo in ages.

I think you've hit at the heart of what has made me like this comic less and less over time. When it was about Parson learning the rules of the world and how to exploit them it was much more interesting. He was a stand in for the reader because he was working from a mindset we could understand in a weird world that made no sense.

Now it's a dozen viewpoint characters and a bunch of drama and there is one guy who can just break any rule he drat well pleases and that is boring as gently caress.

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

NihilCredo posted:

1) Writer (Rob)
2) Penciler
3) Inker
4) Webmaster

Who are #5 and #6?

I know one is his wife. Who is mentioned as receiving a full time salary in the backer section. He also mentions at least three people as part of his "web team."

They also pay the people who get short stories on the site I believe.

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

Sounds like the towers are part of the programming of the world itself in a way. Lots of references to what sound like "screensavers" to me including that last picture.

VVVV

:doh:

Geocities Homepage King fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Mar 7, 2018

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

Donkringel posted:

Oh, that is a positive note for no more mobile ads. Those sometimes really ticked me off. Glad Mine4erf is producing results, despite backlash.

I hated visiting the site on my phone. I got one of those "YOUR PHONE IS INFECTED WITH 213 VIRUSES!!!" ads at least half the time.

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

GreyjoyBastard posted:

some of those bastards are in Something Awful's rotation for me :mad:

Do you use a browser or the Awful App? I've never seen one using the Awful App.

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

my dad posted:

Nice av.

Thanks. I'm quite fond of it.

Oh you mean the other guy.

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

Taerkar posted:

Ahem.

*Mad* Hatters.

MAD Hatters. The ultimate in deterrence.

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

XkyRauh posted:

Maybe there'll be a time skip, as we deal with whatever this Generica business is, and by the time we get back to what we left behind, we'll be on the next turn? :downs:

The next turn and each side will inexplicably have 4 more casters/warlords all with wacky character traits.

Also they'll all be point of view characters in different cities.

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

NihilCredo posted:

Most shocking news for me was that Balder is nearly 50. I'd assumed he was close to Parson's age.

Maybe back when the strip started.

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

PMush Perfect posted:

Looking through my post history, I mentioned two years ago that ErfWorld felt like a sourcebook for a campaign setting more than a comic.

...hell, that might actually be a decent bail-out for him. Get Paizo to let him make an ErfWorld campaign setting book for Pathfinder, and then buy a life raft so he doesn't drown in all the money that will pour in.

Can you imagine how convoluted the rules would have to be? The book would be 1000s of pages long.

It might end up being as complicated as the rules for grappling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

Gann Jerrod posted:

You will know Rob’s in trouble when he finally does a Erfworld tabletop game, it’s the ultimate panic button.

This will never happen because the rule book would have to be several inches thick to make him happy.

No, seriously. I'm pretty sure he said at one point that was the issue with making a computer game. Too many rules.