Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?

Reene posted:

I think Flower Power is gonna be their only hope at this point honestly. Like the Hippiemancers moving enmasse to shut everyone down, and from there someone's getting taken prisoner.

The Great Minds could also probably stop it, which would be in their best interests if they want to get rid of Charlie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

Good to see Vinny back as a main character again. He has been relegated to cameo appearances since Book 1 (which ended in 2009).

Jesus, I've been reading this series for almost a decade now! Same with Order of the Stick.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

reignonyourparade posted:

This is something we're not ENTIRELY clear about : what happens when a side loses their capital but still has another capital.

When a capital is seized, the side doesn't end (it takes the death of a ruler w/o an heir to do that), but the treasury is lost. This could potentially screw Jillian, meaning Charlie is probably going to have to bail her out. Jetstone just barely avoided this when Slately changed the capital (to shut the MK portal behind Parson).

Jillian can't change her capital (as she would need to be at Faq to do that) but she could probably declare Gobwin Knob the new one once Faq falls. She would have practically no funds though.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

nimby posted:

I just want him to finish the current storylines before he loses another artist.

They get paid per-update now through crowdfunding. Those artists aren't going anywhere. Hell, that's probably why the story is taking so long.

The pace of Erfworld doesn't bother me, due to the fact that it at least updates regularly. I love Order of the Stick but the huge wait between updates has slowly drained my enthusiasm for it.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

There's so much goddamn filler lately. It really destroys my hope that Balder knows where he's going with this. The occasional flashes of brilliance are the only thing keeping me here; I miss the tight plotting of Book 1. It really feels like a beloved franchise that's been turned over to fans, or something like the Star Wars prequels where the creator is just wallowing around in his creation jerking off.

I think it has more to do with the fact that the series is crowdfunded per update now. He's in no rush to finish the series as it allows him to run a webcomic for a living without having to get another job. I'd probably do the same if I was in his position. The series would need to take a nosedive in quality to stop people from reading a free comic. Erfworld has also been really good about regular updating, so it's not like they are abusing their fans. It's hard to feel slighted when you have people in the world like Noah Antwiler, who make lots of money on Patreon for almost no content. I'd rather deal with occasional filler than someone like Rich Burlew, who doesn't need the cash but only updates Order of the Stick a couple of times a year.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

Ditocoaf posted:

That's certainly what Marie is saying here.
But I wonder if you can just arbitrarily turn to a side that has no units near you. Or if some convoluted series of events will bring Wanda near a Faq unit?

Parson, Claud and Ivan all turned to Charlescom without any units nearby, so that doesn't seem to be the issue. It might just be a case of communicating with the leader of a side, which can be performed with a thinkogram.

Edit - It just occurred to me that another reason that Marie killed all of those units was to help Faq survive into the next turn. If Wanda turns and decrypts the fallen soldiers, then they won't have upkeep that needs paying. Jillian will just need the cash to pay for Wanda, Albert, and the Giants (if they are still around).

DeadBonesBrook fucked around with this message at 11:30 on May 20, 2017

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

A two month hiatus isn't crazy. Remember how long the gap was when Xii left for the first time? Erfworld isn't exactly new to long breaks.

Erfworld has been producing high-quality comics on a regular update schedule for a while now, so I don't begrudge the staff wanting to take some time off.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

It looks like the Hiatus has been extended - http://www.erfworld.com/blog/view/56965/i-need-more-time

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

The hiatus has ended!

http://archives.erfworld.com/Book%203/276

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

My guess is that we get a Thomas Covenant situation where Parson is sent back to real life, where he tries to find a method to return to Erfworld. He will most likely do this by seeking out Judy Gale and using the Arkenshoes to go back.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

My guess is we're going to get a Thomas Covenant situation where Parson wakes up in a hospital and isn't sure whether Erfworld was real or something he dreamt up while in a coma. Then we get his journey to find Judy and the Arkenshoes, followed by a timeskip for the Erfworld crew.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

It's odd that we are seeing more of Erfworld if Parson has been banished back to where he came from. I wonder if the spell is supposed to send him "home" but it's Parson's definition of home instead of Earth.

It's possible that Parson was sent to Gobwin Knob. Maybe deep down he thinks of that place as home, as it's the place where he has actual power and influence, instead of Earth where he is a nobody. This might finally tie him into the Jillian plot.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

Onmi posted:

Things are a tiny bit better in Balder land, but I really feel like he needs to remember the fundamentals of K.I.S.S.

What do they have to do with it?

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

New one is up - https://archives.erfworld.com/Book%203/342

I figured this was where the story was going, but I assumed Caeser would make Skye his heir before doing it so that the kingdom wouldn't fall. Charlie's only trump card in the situation was the collar and if Caeser is out of the way then Charlsecomm has no leverage

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

If Erfworld had a regular Patreon with a fixed monthly cost then I'd support it in a heartbeat. The whole Toolshed thing feels like an unnecessary expense to maintain and I'm not keen on supporting something on a per-update basis when the number of updates can vary at any time.

The same felt true of the cryptocurrency thing - the way it was implemented felt needlessly complicated for something that should have been simple.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

I think the success of Order of the Stick's Kickstarter was a huge influence on Rob's dependence on crowdfunding. Rich Burlew got over a million dollars to reprint some of his older books and he has never used crowdfunding since, even though he could easily make money on Patreon if he could churn out more content (which likely isn't possible due to his health issues). Rob can't do anything without begging the fans for money first, which has become a crutch as it allows him to make risky/unwise moves, as he knows that he always can ask for more.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

reignofevil posted:

Hey anybody who feels down in the dumps about life just think you probably haven't burned eighty thousand dollars worth of goodwill in your life yet.

I don't recall there being a soundtrack album. Was it ever finished? The only thing about it I can find is on the Kickstarter page.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

New comic - https://archives.erfworld.com/Book%205/21?fbclid=IwAR2IxzjQ5kUuD9qKHgaW0uNeHHtNHxaw1iZ2vTdRHuPYkNGivE-vhJ0OpQI

Oh... my... god... Becky...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

The unofficial Erfworld Reddit has offered more info and it's possible to piece together what happened based on news reports. It's not a pleasant story and I wouldn't recommend people go looking for it. I'll say that it's nothing to do with any rumored legal action or Rob wanting to duck out of Erfworld because of X issue. There is a terrible behind-the-scenes family tragedy going on and it makes sense that they wouldn't want any rumor-mongering going on in forums. Whatever anyone might think of Rob or his past actions, it's not the kind of thing you would wish on someone.