Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
On the previous page, Marie indicated she was waiting for Lilith to come through the portal before using the scroll, so she's going to survive.

Or so I hope anyway--Lilith is my favorite character right now because, while else has been standing around, she's been Metal Gear Soliding through enemy territory under serious constraints, after having her brain broken into its component parts and subsequently reformed. Hell, if it weren't for Wanda, she would've singlehandedly ended this whole conflict already.

(Either way, I don't see how Lilith could take all those shots.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

khy posted:

We've seen multiple instances of 'gems being instantly converted into schmuckers'. Have we seen the opposite? Perhaps it's more like the gems must be BOUGHT with schmuckers, and it isn't an instant conversion?

Sefer posted:

I think Moneymancers can turn Schmuckers into gems; didn't Ben refuse to do that to send money to Slately?

Yeah, it was established somewhere that while gems could instantly be turned into schmuckers, turning schmuckers into gems requires Moneymancy.

The different 'mancies are one of my favorite things in this comic, incidentally, because they started off as this jokey chart, and now we get to see people talk about them and their deep inner workings. And we've still seen barely anything out of like half the disciplines, too.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

I appreciate that various characters played by Sean Bean have been standing around for several pages just to get shot.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Krilion posted:

And Marie predicted that Wander would get attuned. Her betrayal brought this to fruition. She's still accurate.

She also predicted that Faq would fall. Not a lot you can do with that, although the king did have Jillian popped in response, which probably delayed its destruction and if nothing else allowed his royal line to continue.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Aside from that: he's tipped his hand about his ability to project force through the portal, the existence of bullets isn't a secret anymore either, and he's killed at least three uninvolved casters. He didn't want to do this because he wanted to preserve those secrets and his neutrality, and those are both, well, shot. So maybe he's also thinking he doesn't have anything to lose by doing this.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

It seemed like a bluff at first, but recently Parson's been displaying some of the powers of a Signamancer, which is one of the branches of Hippiemancy, so who knows.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Unlike many pages, this shows people going through a portal rather than debating about going through a portal, so it's got that going for it.

Poison Mushroom posted:

I, too, question why these orders couldn't have been shouted WHILE the Archons stormed the Magic Kingdom. It feels like a text update, except with none of the world building.

Shouting out where you are and what you're about to do kinda defeats the purpose of turning invisible.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

sirtommygunn posted:

I'm curious about why Maggie and Lillith have fate protection. Maggie's important, sure, but she doesn't compare to The Perfect Warlord and the wielder of the Arkenpliers. And Lillith? What's going on with her in the future that she would be elevated to that level? What could she possibly be fated to do?

Maggie's been the one advising and protecting Parson throughout the comic. If he really is Fated to take out Charlie, she's the one who puts him on that path and keeps him focused on it, which makes her an instrument of Fate too. Although, at this point, that ball's probably already rolling enough it doesn't need any more pushing.

Lilith might be special as a result of having her mind torn apart and put back together again. Honestly, I'm just happy that after going through hell to complete her mission she's not just gonna take a bullet and dust in this fight.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Update. Didn't need to be a predictamancer to see "Beaned!" coming.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

nimby posted:

Linked casters are hilariously more overpowered than guns.

Yeah, they're literally letting everyone dance around the bullets.

Looks like Lilith is just incapacitated, but the archon who looked like Storm might be dust.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

khy posted:

I was going back and reading through the old text updates. Interesting bit of trivia I didn't know, Vanna and Jojo both used to belong to Unaroyal. Makes me wonder if Jojo's allied himself with Charley due to being fellow carnymancers or if he's working against his side's conquerers out of duty to his former monarch?

That came up earlier this book, on the surface he's brushing it off but who knows with that guy.

Another wrinkle: supposedly the Queen of Unaroyal made all her casters "pledge only to work for Royal sides" before sending them to the Magic Kingdom, so either that pledge wasn't magically binding or Jojo isn't "working" for Charlie in whatever literal, technical sense that means. (Charlie was also the one paying for Vanna's contract to Faq, so I guess there's some leeway there.)

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Spiderdrake posted:

Aren't there other portals?

Charlie's portal has been messed with to let anything pass through. If the non-casters (except Parson) tried to go through any of the other portals, they'd be disbanded.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

With Downer dead, GK has no leadership in this fight except for Parson and Artemis. And either dropping prone gives you a huge defensive bonus in Erfworld's combat system, or Parson is about to get hit by like three blasts at once.

Tactically, their best chance for survival was probably whatever the archons were trying to tell Artemis they could do on the previous page. Now it's down to Fate, I guess.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Parson's probably gonna be pretty pissed that the Thinkamancers waited until most of his team was dead or incapacitated before doing this.

Ytlaya posted:

I would have expected them to be able to gently caress over the Gobwin Knob troops far more through the use of their disciplines.

It looks like the archons picked off anyone who was trying anything more elaborate.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

This might be the worst place Parson could have ended up short of Charlescomm.

Although at least Bunny has a reason to help him.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

reignonyourparade posted:

Hey! At least it's not FAQ!

That'd be quick. His head would be on a pike as soon as Jillian realized that the person in front of her was responsible for the volcano uncroaking.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

It also takes the edge off that while it ended the Charlie Foxtrot, it wasn't an unequivocal victory for Parson, or even an unqualified victory. All it did was allow him to make a very painful retreat that put him in a situation that's not that much better than being shot at. (I mean, it beats getting shot at, but if Transylvito decides they want him dead he can't really fight back or run or anything.)

Also, poor Sizemore. "Big battle in the MK" is the worst news he could hear, and "idk you figure it out" is not much better.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

"They don't use weapons!" Uh oh. Sizemore really should've booked Stanley again after Ace showed him the guns.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Near the end of Book 0, there's a bit that mentions Jill "decided to let the turn end on its own". So there's some kind of limit here, probably what Charlie is referring to by the turn growing stale.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

New comic.

The little detail of Parson getting a milk carton with his own picture made me chuckle. Also, if that last image is any indication, it looks like the Transylvito power struggle plot is about to come to the fore.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Didn't Sizemore estimate the bracer alone was worth a million? And summoning Parson cost 350k and has paid for itself several times over. So assuming it includes all their effects, that's actually a pretty fair trade.

It obviously could've been a lot better, but getting Parson back ASAP before they can interrogate or turn him is probably worth it. Of course, it would be way too easy if they just went through with the deal like this.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

It looks like he knew exactly what he was doing

Let's dispel with the notion that Stanley doesn't know what he's doing

Idran posted:

I'm wondering if this sort of deal making counts as some kind of natural contract magic and they actually are bound to it now, it isn't a matter of choice?

Maybe, although I think if that were the case Stanley wouldn't need him to "draw it up". It seems like Natural Signamancy in the contract sense requires physical contact, like Wanda and Marie spitting on their hands to indicate a preliminary negotiation before the last fight, or pinkie swears.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

I think he was just being sarcastic, but when he saw an opening he ran with it.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Out of all these words, one seems more important than the others, and that's "extrauniverse". It finally explains how Charlie knows about guns, Earth slang, and so on despite apparently being a native of Erfworld. And if he can tap into any other universes, who knows what kind of crap he could pull.

Also, Parson's worst case scenario seems to have been right on the money.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

New page.

Parson managing to withstand the pain enough to deliver his goals is surprising, but I guess leveling has toughened him up. Also, Maggie is totally going to lead a jailbreak with that golem.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

We haven't seen a lot of it, which itself is telling--unlike Ben and Bunny, he doesn't have a place at court in the king's confidence, and in fact we barely knew he existed until now. And their chief warlord's reaction to running into him was literally "what the hell?", so there's that.

I'm reminded of one of Jillian's lines from when Transylvito basically kidnapped her to take her to the capital, something like "this was the first indication she'd ever seen that Transylvito had a Dollamancer". Specifics about their casters seems to be something sides try not to advertise (see Wanda's uncertainty about what kind of caster Olive Branch even was), but Jillian gets around enough she probably should have seen some clue, unless Transylvito was particularly ashamed of him.

isndl posted:

The end of Book 1 was Parson casting away his sword that represented Ruthlessness. Could Parson's arrival in Transylvito and subsequent torture be Fate's attempt at returning his ruthlessness, i.e. 'the hard way' for trying to subvert his Fate, as Wanda might put it?

Maybe. Parson's attitude that "these are real people" makes me think he wouldn't want to torture even someone who had tortured him, though. Although he might be more flexible about leaving him to Wanda's tender care if that circumstance somehow arose.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

So that's why all that torture was ineffective. They live in a world where stuff like this happens all the time.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Aumanor posted:

And Vanna getting to work on any of the prisoners is definitely not good news.

That's definitely true, which is why it's surprising she's going for Don first. Maybe Charles figures that since Gobwin Knob and Transylvito are the only two sides who have actually gotten their hands on guns, he can still do some amount of damage control by getting Transylvito under his thumb (without going in guns blazing). And it's certainly true that if he manages to use Turnamancy on a king somehow, he's got the prisoners.

Although I'm not sure that "Turnamancy on a king" is a concept that even makes sense, which is probably why the update that talked about her coming over mentioned "espionage and seduction stuff", which is basically Turnamancy without even using magic.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

That's true, but if I remember the explanation in book 1 right, rulers are the only ones who don't have duty, loyalty, etc.. So it's like there's not even a rule for him to break. Might be the domain of Weirdomancy, since as far as we've seen that deals with granting or taking away unit specials, so a Turna-Weirdomancy link could do something.

Going back to another point:

Aumanor posted:

Caesar seems too demoralised to try a coup and even if he did, Don's onto him.

This actually seems to be the opposite of what's happening. Caesar's line "what's the worst that could happen, we wake up and I'm your new ruler" suggests that he thinks Vanna has seduced Don so she can kill him. Which isn't unreasonable, especially since Caesar seems to have bought Parson and Jack's line about Jillian eventually backstabbing all her allies.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Today's update: the odds keep looking better for Maggie hijacking that golem somehow, and the situation around Bunny's "baddie"-ness sounds a million times worse now.

Rygar201 posted:

I wonder sure the game has hidden stats that no unit type can naturally see, and are only guessed at by casters

And Charlie probably knows all about them. What a tool.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Is Claud someone we've seen before?

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Haha, oh drat.

If this crosses back over with the trial plot, they can literally just bring in the bracer as evidence, ask it "what are the chances Charlescomm shot first" or something and it's all over for Charlie. Of course, they should probably ask "what are the odds Charlie kills us all with guns if we do that" first.

Either way, it is really satisfying when Charlie's schemes collapse like this. Which is the mark of a really good villain, I think, although obviously if it goes on too much longer it'll start having diminishing returns.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

nimby posted:

Was the perfect warlord spell something Charlie had a hand in?

Yeah. He wasn't directly involved in the link-up that cast it the first time (since he didn't have the Arkendish until he got it as spoils from defeating those two enemies), but he is the one that arranged it.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Idran posted:

Plus the Arkentools are all 3D-rendered objects, and the bracer is just drawn, same as everything else.

This is the definitive proof tbh.

As for why it's giving such precise answers now, I think it's because the questions being asked are of past events, things that already happened. Parson used it to calculate coin flips, Benjamin is asking it whether a previously flipped coin was heads or tails. There's no ambiguity there.

Relatedly, I think the reason it gave such weird answers when Parson asked about the spell isn't necessarily because of Fate Shenanigans (not that we can ever rule that out), but because the questions he were asking were based on a false premise, namely it was some property unique to himself that would let him cast spells in general. Which wasn't exactly true, it wasn't exactly false, and there was a definite answer and not a probability range. So the bracer sort of glitched out because it had the answer but couldn't express it mathematically (maybe if it was a graphing calculator instead of a watch).

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Oh yeah, I'd forgotten the exact wording of the questions he asked. He described it as being "railroaded by two different DMs", which sounds pretty accurate.

Anyway, I bet the bracer is going to get ruined now that it's being used like this, either because it could mess up fate or because it's just way too easy a plot device (same thing?). The bracer itself seemed pretty solid--"like hard plastic" or something--but that watch is probably pretty crappy and breakable.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Oh boy. We knew he was a traitor, but not "the highest ranking archon ever to leave Charlescomm".

I also like the line "He's not Decrypted, I don't expect him to see the urgency" which is a really tactful way to refer to one's own supernatural, unswerving devotion.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Oh, that makes a lot more sense (and reads better right after "I wasn't thinking of Stanley"). I thought the implication was Thomas was an archon using some kind of Uberveil.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Bruceski posted:

I'm pretty sure Vanna's gonna be appreciating the view of the underside of the balcony before the night is over.

If she's lucky.

It's easy to forget because of his face and demeanor and the general circumstances, but this is still a vampire baring his fangs at someone who just walked to dinner with him alone. And there's no food on those plates.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

I think it's less certain that Vanna and Charlie know that Don is lying. I can't remember if Charlie has independent confirmation about the prisoners beyond Vanna's intel, but the giant MK-covering thinkablast thing (along with the technical difficulties Lilith caused him) might have screwed up both his magical and human intelligence about where Parson et al scuttled off to after the fight.

Plus, Bill is a pretty huge creep.

Bruceski posted:

I can't recall, did the Great Minds consider the news about Charlie being Carny important enough to inform Bunny despite her ostracization? If so she could suspect he's watching.

Probably not, and either way him being a Carny doesn't really have anything to do with his spying abilities--that's all the Arkendish. I think they both probably know Charlie can hack the bats' livestreams, which is why Don bothered having so many around as an audience to this little performance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Rand Brittain posted:

I don't think anybody knows that Charlie can hack into Natural Thinkamancy. Even the fact that he can hack Thinkagrams is super secret as far as the Great Minds are concerned.

Hmm, right. Don probably doesn't know, but maybe the Great Minds told Bunny, and she was the one responsible for arranging the bats. It would make sense to give her some intel like that now that she's in on bringing down Charlescomm.