Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
drat. If anyone in this story deserves to see the City of Heroes, it's Bunny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

IIRC the terms of badness were that using forbidden magic would cause her to disband, and disbanded units don't leave a corpse. If I'm misremembering, then maybe having her entire identity unraveled means the Arkenpliers would just bring back a mindless husk. Either way, this feels like a permanent end.

Caidin posted:

Didn't you need multiple thinkamancers to do the string cut kill or was that just for doing it at range?

That's just for range. It was established that a single Thinkamancer could do it by touch, but that it's supposed to be a secret (hence why the spell wiped her out).

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

That's basically what Stanley was/is going for if you replace king with divine mandate.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Is this the first mention of the Rhyme-o-mancer since the battle in Portal Park? I thought he'd been dusted with the rest of the Beans.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Huh, I missed him there.

That page would have been a really good place to end the book, or at least to insert a chapter break or something.

Kyte posted:

Did I miss something? Where was he mentioned?

In Bonnie's list of major assets big good things.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

:allears:

I want to see that spell a lot more in the future. Maybe with the Arkenhammer next time.

my dad posted:

Hey, murderous superpowered zealot, I'll give you the tools you need to achieve your aims if you'll just promise to only do with them what I tell you to.

I like how all the reminders that she's a master of the magic of interpretation and contracts were followed by seeing nothing wrong with the phrasing "give the arkenpliers to you immediately".

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Rand Brittain posted:

My Predictamancy for the day is that Wanda winds up claiming an ever-escalating avalanche of casters and breaks out of the Magic Kingdom, so that Gobwin Knob (if the side's name isn't now I'm Coming For You Stanley) opens Book 4 with an ungodly gaggle of overpowered personalities, a rather large upkeep bill, and not much chance of getting more because they've got Charlie on one side and the Magic Kingdom on the other.

I think this guy has the right idea.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

"I was aware" is amazingly understated, considering Book 0.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

:allears:

So either Albert makes it back inside the city before Vinny takes the garrison, or he just sits around for a while and then disbands before he knows what's happening.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

There's gotta be more garrison units stationed there than just Albert and those two knights. Vinny mentioned he'd have to do some "real nasty work" to conquer it, although that was a while ago.

reignonyourparade posted:

This is something we're not ENTIRELY clear about : what happens when a side loses their capital but still has another capital.

Yeah, thinking about it I'm not entirely sure if I'm Coming For You Stanley would just automagically become the new capital or what, and if any units outside Jillian's hex would be lost in that transition since she didn't change the capital beforehand.

I feel like the natural progression is Albert becomes Vinny's prisoner briefly before turning to Transylvito. But I guess we'll find out in the year 2017!

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

The name "the Spiteful Tower, or Spite" seems like a reference to something, but I'm drawing a blank.

Onmi posted:

Does he know? he doesn't seem to know why Caeser is Overlord now.

Vinny was the one they asked "is Jillian getting support from Charlie?" and who returned all the intelligence that said "yeah probably".

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

"Okay that one never gets old" got a chuckle out of me.

Hopefully the comic'll stick with the Decrypted casters long enough for the Magic Kingdom side of the story to go somewhere.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Marie's probably taken that into account. Maybe while she was shopping for scrolls she bought one that could neutralize Jillian without doing "material harm" (Thinkamancy or Flower Power or something).

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Donkringel posted:

New update gave a lot to chew one. The biggest piece was actually Robs update excuse in the forums.

I don't mind if I have to read the updates the next day because they get posted so late, but it honestly seems like he is now being shady to protect his revenue stream. This excuse seems too weak.

Now if folks actually were online late last night and the site did go down I might be more apt to believe it, but this just seems to convenient to the tune of a thousand and a half dollars.

In terms of protecting his revenue, all the updates that have been light on action but heavy on introspection are really where the comic suffers. It's easy to write a chunk of text narrating how someone feels about events, less so to express how they're feeling through action (much less advance the plot).

Anyway. Pretty cool that Parson actually came clean about all the lies rather than holding out until the worst possible moment.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Pretty bleak, Marie.

Wonder if this is universal among predictamancers or if it's more to do with her having been popped in absurdly-pacifist Faq.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Some revelations a long time in coming.

Jojo was a prince of Unaroyal, and their whole thing was betraying their disciplines together. RVC probably wasn't even consciously aware that Jojo was an agent of Charlie; that has to have gone in the memory hole or otherwise the Minds would've known. So RVC wasn't working for Charlie, just passing on information to his former prince, who then passed it on to Charlie.

(All this is interesting enough I didn't even immediately realize that, once again, all other forward momentum has stopped as an almost entirely new plot thread comes to the fore.)

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Kyte posted:

Pretty sure what Roger assumed to be a signal block was the moment the mansion fell.

Yeah. "Violently yanked away" and "all fell slack at once" really sound more like everyone dying than being blocked. RVC's practicing a lot of self-deception in this update (even before the garden reveal, he's "adjusting a few key nodes slightly towards some of the more optimistic outcomes"), that's probably part of it.

Otherkinsey Scale fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Apr 5, 2017

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

So at some point Parson is going to figure out how to literally order clouds around.

Rand Brittain posted:

I would assume that veiling magic prevents Caesar's Ruler senses from detecting the presence of the veiled unit unless it does something or interferes with turn order by its presence.

I don't think rulers have ever been stated to be able to detect enemy units in their capital, just their own. The only direct reference I can think of is Charlie thought Sizemore might have been in his capital that one time, and ruled it out because no one had spotted anyone but Lilith.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Whether or not it actually matters, Janis is doing this as a delaying action. If Buck's on trial for improper executions, presumably the executions can't proceed until that's settled. If she can drag that out until the start of GK's turn, then Wanda's goons can regain their juice and bust the survivors out.

Of course, that gives Deiform Isaac and bloodthirsty Roger a chance to throw a spanner in things.

Rand Brittain posted:

They also talk a lot about the Signamancy of the thing, because Erfworld wants people to judge by appearances. If something looks ugly, it's probably wrong somehow.

What Buck is doing looks ugly.

"It's all part of the Signamancy" is a really interesting line to me. Being occasionally compelled to do things a certain way because it resonates with an unknown higher reality must be a weird experience. From their point of view it must be like religious practice; from ours it's basically the definition of a fictional character's motivations, except they're aware of it on some level.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

So, huh.

I kind of hope this information is, at most, an incomplete perspective. The notion that Fate is actually something people create is potentially an interesting angle, but the execution is kind of wonky. Especially when it's delivered in an internal monologue, meaning that despite being huge thematically, it doesn't really change anything for anyone else.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

NihilCredo posted:

The remote string cutting requires a high-State merge of the Minds. A lone Thinkamancer needs to touch their target to kill them.

Either Jojo or Charlie will try to carny-break that rule for Roger (doubtful even if it were possible, as he would have to reveal to them one of the biggest Thinkamancy secrets), or he's simply calling Parson to set up the assassination attempt.

He can't kill him, but thinkamancers have lots of "tricks to render a unit powerless". Maybe when Parson accepts he'll get hit with something as all-consuming as the thing Charlie used on him to present a claim.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Onmi posted:

On the other hand croaking Wanda is absolutely worth it. Like... we brought it up last time talking about Toolism. If you croak a Tool, that's it. Everyones been thinking it'll be Stanley, but clearly, Wanda is the prize for Charlie. She's worth 5 Mil

Charlie probably believes Wanda's line that killing an agent of Fate only results in something much worse, which is probably why he just broke Jillian's mind instead of killing her.

But also, according to Wanda the destiny she's working towards is bringing the Arkentools together, so if Charlie just made her an offer she'd probably take it. And Charlie knows this.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Called it.

Maybe she tells him to croak himself and let her decrypt him, arguing it would restore him to full health. Or just the first part, after he pulled this on her.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Zoe posted:

I skimmed some posts on the official forums and now I'm wondering. Would Wanda see this as a situation where it doesn't matter if she joins Charlie or doesn't because Parson's Fated to kill him either way, or would she see it as a major problem, having a duty to stand in between her ruler and the guy destined to kill him?

Though, given this is Wanda, things like duty and loyalty and all seem to have much less of a grip on her than the Fate stuff so the latter may never be an issue.

Even though she sees it as inevitable that Parson will kill him, she also believes that doing anything to stand in the way of that will only make everyone suffer. The promise of the flower may be overriding that to some degree, but not absolutely or she wouldn't be insisting on conditions. Maybe she's doing the utilitarian mathamancy about how much worse she can make things before it outweighs the promised benefit.

Personally, I'm hoping she is just setting herself up to backstab him, but the buds were set up as Charlie's ultimate trump card against her and Jillian so it really could go any way at this point.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

"Hardly any soldiers matter," indeed.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

It doesn't feel like she's in the spotlight too much, but that might be because the spotlight can't stay anywhere for more than a couple updates lately. Parson is nominally the protagonist and he's been more like a MacGuffin than anything else.

Anyway, I like that Marie's attempt to persuade Jillian starts by killing everyone else in the entire city. Pretty good opening argument.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Update.

The line that's really key here, I think, is "I want to make you miserable." She didn't intend to turn, she just wanted to pry at every single point of Charlie's pride, and probably demoralize the archons as well. Maybe getting Charlie to admit to considering all this in front of them is going to force a Loyalty check, and she's counting on a little nudge from Fate to make them fail it? A little out there, but probably the least contrived way for Fate to intervene right now.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

isndl posted:

Theoretically, you'd be able to kill the GM by luring him into Erf and then abandoning/relocating the capital, repeat as necessary when he moves towards nearest portal location until he starves to death?

Hence the bedrock suit. Its Signamancy is based on Iron Man, who is known for having an embedded power source that keeps him alive.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Zoe posted:

So did he just decide not to gently caress with Fate after all or what?

Actually Wanda's not alone in wanting some clarity here, but this will make for entertaining speculation the next couple of months anyhow.

I like the theory that he trapped Charlie's mind inside the doll, because it's "the Binding of Isaac". And also because "one turn, Charlie woke from troubled dreams to find himself transformed in the bedrock into a horrible doll".

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

"Permanent incapacitation" are Lilith's words here.

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

I think Isaac just "de-sided" the doll somehow, ripping out the string that connected it to Charlie. I very much doubt he's trapped inside it.

That doesn't seem connected to the spell's trigger word, though. Charlie being trapped in there is a leap, but it fits with the Signamancy.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Zoe posted:

Could be Fate or Jillian's actual Duty preventing it. Stanley couldn't disband Parson either.

That seemed to be because Parson ordered him not to first.

Maybe Wanda has to be on the same side as the person trying to disband her Decrypted.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Onmi posted:

I'm just hoping this is another case of Roger thinking he's smarter than he actually is and getting dunked on.

It's going to make Parson look really dumb if he falls for this. Yet another person asking him to use the scroll should probably raise his suspicions a little.

Likewise today's (yesterday's?) update: "am I a criminal just because I committed all these crimes" is not the strongest argument Charlie's made. But Buck's supposed to be dumb and Charlie's going through withdrawal so that makes more sense.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

The way the speech bubbles are laid out in that panel really bothers me.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

He also describes the surviving Fox Forcers as "his dearest and oldest friends".

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

If Maggie and Jack are still stacked with Caesar, then Maggie might just kill Bill with her bare hands.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

The last update talks about how "Language had all sorts of little-used words that Signamancers puzzled over", so it seems like Signamancers knew about words that don't have an Erfworld context before Parson entered the picture.

Maybe the end of that sentence was "But they don't exist."

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

PMush Perfect posted:

Is Charlie subject to the law of boop?

Edit: 3 AM thought, what would y'all call the point where Erfworld stopped being a critique/deconstruction of an isekai manga and turned into an actual isekai manga?

I'd say book 1 was critique, book 2 was straight isekai, and then everything else isn't even isekai anymore because it mostly stops using the perspective of a stand-in from our world and just narrates everything from the point of view of everyone already in that world instead. Which just makes it regular fantasy, but sometimes people talk about hexes and movement points and stuff.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Since we last talked, this webcomic has gone through so many permutations. First, we reimagined the whole webcomic as blocks of text with a single picture at the end. Then we realized it was actually more of a series of pinup illustrations, but that didn't feel right either. We thought, is it a bunch of plush dolls? A procedural city generating engine? A crypto mining operation that if you turn it upside down, it's a gem?

No, it's none of those things. That's why we finally settled on this.

Voila! Erfworld is a bimonthly deck of tarot cards.

I know, it's confusing. Not the bimonthly that means twice a month, the bimonthly that means every other month, and each time it's a different deck.

This is the future of webcomics.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

It seems pretty reasonable to say "family emergency is taking up my time right now, can't talk about the details because I'm not the one directly affected".

Especially in comparison to "our main revenue stream is now selling tiny pictures of shovels, and this will work because we're only selling 100 of them".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Apparently the Erfworld subreddit just got locked. Presumably because, at this point, the only reason anyone was posting there was to try to point out what a bad idea all of this is.