Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Everybody talks about an Erfworld thread, but nobody does anything about it... until right now when I got bored.

Erfworld is a webcomic written by Rob Balder and drawn by quite a few artists at this point. Erfworld is a magical land where Sides controlled by Overlords vie for control of territory in order to preserve their own existence, and everything is kind of childlike and fake-looking. Unfortunately, all the units popped to fight and be croaked in battle are very real, and the fact that everything proceeds according to something like strategy game rules (for example, you can't leave a given map quadrant unless it's your turn and you have "move" remaining) just makes it all kind of really weird and disturbing. The pastel colors and the way everybody is some kind of pop culture reference just makes it worse.

Into this playtime hellscape is summoned Parson Gotti, master goon and wargame expert, brought in from Earth as a "perfect warlord" to... well, to do a number of things. First, to conquer the world for Overlord Stanley the Plaid. Then, there's also the whole "end war forever" goal assigned to him by the mysterious and magical cabals that financed the creation of the "summon perfect warlord" spell, who also want a bunch of other things. Really, there's never a dull moment... especially because Erfworld is also full of inappropriate sexy drama and nobody on anybody's team can stop ruining everything for even a minute.

Discuss!

Rand Brittain fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jan 17, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Erfworld is good and cool. Whether it is actually making any money I don't know, since it has to pay like three people at this point.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Krilion posted:

I wonder if bullets pass through a portal?

Charlie's earlier comments indicate that these almost certainly will, and are in fact designed to (although they haven't been field-tested yet).

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Krilion posted:

I'd say, likely, it was clear CC already planned for this exact thing and estimated losses, after all. Stanley is about to bath in gems.

Is he, though? I was under the impression that part of the reason Charlie has such a huge gem hoard is so that settlements like this can't touch his actual wealth.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Krilion posted:

Not from that, from the contract breaches as the bullets hit Gobwin units

True, but it'll be in Schmuckers, not gems, and my impression was that Charlie had converted most of his actual wealth into gems so that this kind of "half-the-treasury" hit wouldn't ding him for as much.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Looking back, Charlie actually already did the math for us. He says that opening fire with the tripods and mowing down Parson's group would cost him "about 140 million" plus the huge loss in social capital as the entire Magic Kingdom turns against him.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Jack is the best character and I'm glad that being Decrypted has driven him slightly crazier but has not made this basic fact less true.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

nimby posted:

He's attuned to the dish, so he's bound to have world-breaking powers on par with Decrypt. Access to all sorts of crucial communication and 'game upkeep' channels has to have given him a very deep understanding of Erfworld. I do wonder what an attuned Arkenhammer does. Remake the world into walnuts?

Stanley is attuned to the Arkenhammer, although given what we've seen the dish and pliers do, it's becoming increasingly likely that it has powers beyond rocking out, shooting lightning, and taming dwagons.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Well, that happened.

Meanwhile, I figured out the actual implications of the reveal of Charlies gem hoard and treasury numbers after thinking about it. It means that first, this turnabout is going to result in Gobwin Knob having so much money that their previous status as "richest side on Erfworld" is going to be nothing in comparison. Second, it means that they are going to realize that Charlie has even more money than that.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

We know for certain that at least one side that relied on Marie's Predictamancy is now dead.

I presume that Predictmancy becomes more dangerous the more you learn to rely on it.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

The question is, did Marie see this coming?

If she did, well, it wouldn't be very hard to have Janis hiding behind a tree ready to play her chillax.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Krilion posted:

She's the best predictamancer we've seen. I'd say unless stuff was altered from carnymancy, she's going to be 100%.

I don't know how archons will do against an army of casters, and we've established how powerful decrypted are alongside wanda. This might not even be a fair fight for CC.

I think the main problem here is going to be that the truce is still in effect. Charlie has stated his willingness to blow 140 million on killing everybody, and to be honest he can afford it. Gobwin Knob can't afford that. If Charlie sends in ten Archons, they can't risk engaging.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Oh, and as someone pointed out, Decrypting the Magic Kingdom casters who were killed by archon fire may have been a really bad diplomatic move on Wanda's part.

She's already gotten started~

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

sirtommygunn posted:

Oh wow has Wanda finally learned the value in being proactive rather than just sitting around waiting for fate to hand you a victory and a punch in the gut? I'd be glad to never see another "but thou fate must" conversation from her again.

Honestly, Wanda isn't so much passive as "constantly desperately searching for the Fated way out in order to minimize the suffering that life keeps piling up on her". She's like a dog that's always expecting a kick and preparing to dodge.

That is to say, Wanda being proactive isn't going to be that great because she doesn't really create strategies as such and operates entirely on (historically poor) instinct.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Phenotype posted:

I read the prequel novellas this weekend, and it really makes you cut her a lot of slack on the Fate garbage.

Yeah, Erfworld has done its best to beat Wanda's fatalism into her.

Fate kind of sucks.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Spiderdrake posted:

Actually he would probably have blamed them anyway, since no Charlie units are in the Hex.

Most likely the next couple chapters result in the archons bursting in and unloading on free casters who are hassling GK, and the needle will bob back again.

This scene REALLY needs to be over, but I think this is the end of the book. The pacing is getting really obnoxious.

"Oh, so it was Charlie's archons who did the croaking? And nobody saw them because they were veiled? And the shots were fired through the portal that nothing can pass through? Wow, that's super convincing! "

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Poison Mushroom posted:

So, Parson is canonically a Hippiemancer, right? Who's to say he doesn't have casting abilities?

Janis said he was a Hippiemancer and he apparently has a nonzero chance of successfully casting certain spells. Exactly what that means... we don't know.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

jng2058 posted:

Yeah, for all the cutesy art, it really is a pretty horrific war story the more you think about it. "Popped to die" indeed.

I think the most horrifying thing is the text update with the Jetstone units who went their entire lifespan without ever talking to anybody outside their stack.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Stanley is the embodiment of the Peter Principle. He has literally conquered his way up until he can't be allowed to conquer any longer, and it's making him miserable.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Yeah, Wanda has basically been conditioned to leap at anything that looks like the will of Fate in order to avoid further painful electric shocks.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

Ah, that makes sense. It would explain why she is willing to do a bunch of dumb/bold stuff; she's under the assumption that she literally can't fail.

Also, someone mentioned Parson being a Signamancer, but I don't think that's the case. It's just that he effectively has some of the abilities of a Signamancer due to his knowledge of how to interpret all the real-Earth symbolism present in Erfworld. I don't think he's a caster of any kind (since as was also explained, the only reason he could cast the scroll was because its rules were changed to allow non-casters to use it).

Okay, so why can he walk through Magic Kingdom portals?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

It doesn't need to be your turn to move around in the same hex.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Reene posted:

I think Flower Power is gonna be their only hope at this point honestly. Like the Hippiemancers moving enmasse to shut everyone down, and from there someone's getting taken prisoner.

Yeah, as useful as having Marie there today was, it would have gone a lot better if she'd told Janis to hide behind a tree.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Why would it be unexpected for Parson's powerful and manipulative coalition of allies in the Magic Kingdom to take action when something big happens involving him in the Magic Kingdom?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

The only real power disparity seems to be that you need one Thinkamancer to open a link between whatever casters you actually want to use, which is admittedly a thing.

A lot of the other stuff seems like it's less effective than the Great Minds think it is—their super-link really just lets them get more pointless overanalysis done in a day, since they can't actually make decisions faster or better.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

sirtommygunn posted:

The super-mind link is pretty strong, the only problem with it is that they were dumb enough to require a unanimous vote to actually accomplish anything with it.

They were going to run into a lot of the same problems even if they didn't have a saboteur on the team, because at bottom they don't actually Think Alike and being able to argue very fast isn't going to result in their reaching genuine consensus in most cases.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Speaking of Ansom's mission, Tramennis has already said that he wants Parson to visit Jetstone, so that's probably where this will all somehow end up.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Don King is also the kind of person who is going to find it difficult to go back on an offer he willingly made in front of witnesses.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Rygar201 posted:

He may be literally incapable due to either natural signamancy or thinkamancy.

That's true, but what I mean is that it's going to be difficult for him even if he isn't. His whole cause is based around the idea that he's supposed to be the better man.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

sirtommygunn posted:

Update, it's like Don King is trying to get Caesar to start a coup.

At this point, it isn't just like that; it is that.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Mniot posted:

I like this explanation better than what I had been thinking, which is that this is how powerful the bracer is in the hands of a trained mathamancer.

Either way, though, the bracer seems nearly as game-breaking as the arkentools.

I'm calling it: all the Arkentools came in happy meals along with people summoned from earth, and this is Parson's.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Oh, right. The 3D render is surprisingly well-integrated, so well that I forgot it was a thing.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I don't think anybody knows that Charlie can hack into Natural Thinkamancy. Even the fact that he can hack Thinkagrams is super secret as far as the Great Minds are concerned.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Yeah, it's gotten really bad; the actual content is drowning in its own fan fiction.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Well, I mean, the 61% figure can't be correct, because Jillian didn't get up today thinking "well, maybe I'll attack Transylvito, and maybe I'll attack Gobwin Knob." If the bracer was using a priori cosmic knowledge, the figure would be either 1 or 0. It has to be basing its prediction on some other body of knowledge that's less than "all of it", whether that's what Transylvito knows or what Parson knows or whatever.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Or they could just show up at the bargaining table in the morning, having freed themselves through means nobody knows, and be all "yeah, we could have escaped, easy, but we decided we'd rather be allies."

Especially since they don't really have a way out.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

The shoes would make for terribly interesting times on the feet of, say, Jillian.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Bobulus posted:

assuming Charlie doesn't have them all in his back pocket.

Not a safe assumption, especially since the people making the hiring decisions probably don't know just how great Charlie's influence in that quarter really is.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Hm. So, to what degree are Roger's agenda and the Great Minds' agenda the same and different?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Cat Mattress posted:

Odds of decryption?

Almost none, given that they're at the bottom of an undiggable hole with the wrench that let them dig it down at the bottom with them, the Arkenpliers are in Spacerock, and Wanda is a prisoner, and they'll both evaporate next turn.