Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Here

Caeser wishes he was free to swear now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Poison Mushroom posted:

Everything is coming down around Charlie's ears, and it's wonderful.

But, at the same time, it's almost coming down too much. For there to be any tension, there's going to have to be a conflict. And I think the only thing scarier than a Charlie totally in control is a Charlie fighting like a caged animal.

I mean said turnamancer who managed to turn entire tribes mid-battle is currently alone. With the king. And Vinny is off on his own, in Faq. So there's no guarantee that everything will go swimmingly.

If Vanna turns the king. IF she can turn the King. Then Transylvisto is going to have a problem.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Jun 7, 2016

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Carrasco posted:

Huh. It's a little detail, but Vinny knowing to nod to Albert and then Duncan is the kind of thing that makes him Transylvito's ambassador.

Also, am I misremembering, or did we just cut from Ansom being at Jetstone to Ansom being here without any kind of resolution to the former? (The last thing I remember of that storyline was Tramennis saying Parson should come through the portal to Jetstone, so it's understandable that storyline got cut off. Probably just gonna be covered by a quick flashback where Ansom was awkwardly waiting around that crappy room for a few turns.)

I'm going to guess that yeah, this is a case of them wrapping that plot up later. More just needing to put the screws to Vinny and Faq in a hard time for both sides. Everything is coming to ahead, I think either Faq is going to do something that'll send off alarm bells, or Vinny is going to wind up dead. While Jillian herself doesn't seem to be aware that she's basically Charlie's muscle, she essentially is now.

Reading the whole book from start to finish again, there are a lot of plots currently running and tripping all over themselves. I wonder if we're in the books climax or middle part. Because I'm failing to see how it'll get more tense than where it is beyond Charlie actually moving in force. In which case I can see Transylvito being wiped from the map, failing that, Don King is killed and Caeser becomes the ruler. I just don't see anything working out for the side right now, there's no way the heir is popping, they feel like too large of a player in this book to simply get off scott free when no side has really interacted deeply with Parson and come off not drastically changed.

So yeah, money is on Charlie turning his guns on Transylvito, Faq occupying and Caeser and Bunny allying with Gobwin Knob.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Yeah the site it pretty awful.

I've been thinking of it. Of the sides we tend to follow, Faq, Transylvito, Jetstone, Gobwin Knob and Charlescomm, it seems like there's a passing of generations going on within Transylvito and Jetstone, into the new world that Parson is bringing about. I've already said I don't think Don King is surviving this book, but I expect Caeser will as the sides ruler. Tramennis is already trying hard to reform Jetstone. Faq is basically a whole new side on the grand stage, but they're essentially just Charlescomm's arm, even if they aren't aware of it.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

So the 3/4 Prophecies that Parson have been called in to fulfill are

1. Wage a war so terrible it breaks war and allows peace on Erfworld (Janice)
2. Kill Charlie and protect Thinkamancy (Issac and the Thinkamancers)
3. Bring Free Will to Erfworld (Jojo)
4. Unite the world under Gobwin Knob (Stanely)

Am I missing something? I mean those last two are probably not in the "Prophecies" but still.

Rygar201 posted:

She's also been mentally violated, partly by Charlie. Who knows what lasting effects that has had?

It's probably what makes her so pliable. I'm sure Charlie backs Jillian because she makes such an easy tool. The fulfills the role of the traditional lost princess, who reclaimed her home and is now building an army so she can fight the vile tyrant who is holding her 'loved ones' captive.

I do wonder if she'll wind up croaked or turning. Because she makes me think of a final boss. Well I mean... Charlie is the final boss, but he's also unable to even move without aid, it's putting a bullet in a melted corpse basically. Everything involved with getting to him is the hard part. Just seems like she would be his "Warlord" for the final battle.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

New page

I'm guessing this archon misses the others, since back in the pre-book 2 updates, it was mentioned that Archon's lived more in a sorority

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

nimby posted:

Or she's thinking about how much of an idiot she now works for.

She looks sad and she's about to be talked to by Jed the Head. Jed's entire point is this comic is basically to disperse sage advice.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Phenotype posted:

Why is Jed so lonely if he's got a raging party full of elves happening in his head?

e: So where is this book headed, exactly? I got the feeling the battle in the Magic Kingdom was the climax, but everything that's happened since then seems like they're plowing right through to the next storyline, and I'm at a loss for where the next logical conclusion would be. I suppose Parson and friends returning home as Transylvitian allies, and GK breaking Wanda out of the Dirtamansion? Still, the last bunch of updates since the end of the battle keep making me feel like they're wasting time, like the story can't really progress until Parson and Wanda get back, and it feels like there's little chance that they DON'T make it back, because they're too important to the story.

I really should just stop reading this day-to-day and come back in a month or two. I wonder if it'll feel like it hangs together better when read all at once. I felt the same way about Book 3 pre-MK battle after reading it all at once, and I remember people grumbling in the thread about how the plot seemed a bit disjointed then, too.

I mean this book has shot past Book 1's page count, Hell, it's coming close to being as long as the previous two books all as one.

The plotlines still ongoing in as far as this book is concerned are:

-Tram wants to meet Parson in person. Could happen next book.
-Whatever the hell is going on with Transylvito's succession. I do not see this one not concluding in this book
-Wanda's Trial. Could happen next book
-Ansom meeting with Jillian, I see this either concluding with dusted Ansom, turned Ansom or something. I do not expect him to just leave unscathed. And I expect it to end this book
-Also whatever is going on with Albert beyond "Setting him up as a character" I see him dusting Ansom actually.
-Gobwin Knobs attempts at alliances. Doesn't have to conclude this book

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

NihilCredo posted:

For all artistic intents and purposes, that aftermath page with Charlie crying, Parson and Jack in prison and Sizemore as the new Chief Caster felt like a true book-ender.

I'm not sure why they didn't officially start Book 4 there and then, but I personally read the story as if they had.

I think it's because it didn't feel like much had happened? I mean a lot has, but it's mostly minor stuff or just GK losing. Gobwin Knob loses Hob Goblins, recruits Juggle Elves. Charlie drains the treasury, gains the treasury. Ansom is rescued and is off on diplomatic stuff. Parson learns a lot about magic, and the army stationed there is killed. etc.

A lot happens but... not a lot has moved forward. We're still essentially in the same place we were when book 2 ended. I think Book 3's problem is... we've just got so much going on.

Book 1 was centered around the battle for Gobwin Knob, it was long, but it didn't leave that focus.
Book 2 was centered around the battle for Spacerock, and while stuff happened outside of it, that happened in Text updates and the beginning/conclusion.
Book 3 we have so much going on that is just bloating everything. So... a lot has happened... but very little has actually happened.

I think they don't want book 3 to end on a downer with so much still ongoing, a slave to the idea of conclusion if you think on it. They've set up a lot and paid off little to none of it. But like... if we cut out every moment we went to Faq, every moment with the elves and Ansom's jetstone stuff, it would probably be far more compact. But we've got so much being set up or brought up that... well frankly I don't give a poo poo about half of it. I don't care about Faq as a side, I realize they're a big player in the grand scheme but I could not give two flying shits in how they relate to the greater plot. Mostly because they're such an obvious henchman army. I've not cared about them trying to build their side or Albert or anything else. The only interesting character in the whole side is Vinny, and he's not even native to it. The Ansom political stuff could have been cool if the plot didn't take a right-turn into Charlie-Town, probably for its benefit, but it did sort of leave that plot going "Oh, huh, thumb twiddling."

But I thought, going from the beginning of the book, the purpose of it was forging new alliances, With the Elves, with potentially Transylvito and Jetsone etc. And, yeah, when you think on it, we kinda needed that whole Charlie thing to happen to make progress in any of those. Transylvito wasn't going to just ally with GK, the whole Guns being put out there, Charlie's operation coming down and potentially forcing him to act, and Caeser potentially having to put either his loyalty to his side or his loyalty to his king first is interesting... I kinda wish the Bill stuff wasn't happening, but the rest of it's interesting.

But yeah, it could have been its own book. I think, very clearly, that there's no real plan for the theme or focus on this book. Book 1 is "The Battle for Gobwin Knob" Book 2 is "Love is a Battlefield" I've not actually seen a name for Book 3. Maybe I missed it, but I get the feeling that the plot's just trying to do too much with so many plot points. This is why I'm pretty convinced that Transylvito as a side is ending this book, because I cannot see another book going on with them as political players. I'm half convinced that's why Jetstone will ally to. I may not like it, but Faq clearly has long term positioning as Charlie's muscle. In fact, I don't see how they would get to that point in the story, but Jillian taking Transylvito would turn Faq into a buffer for Charlie in front of Gobwin Knob.

So tl;dr: Book seems unfocused and trying to do way too much which is why it feels exhaustively long even when on reflection not much has actually happened that moves the story forward.

EDIT: You know what this feels like for me? When I'm playing a game like Total War and I'm not at actual war with anyone, so I'm just spending the turns consolidating my forces, building up my army and making non-aggression pacts with everyone while trying to build up enough stacks to handle my biggest foes. Now that I actually type it that pretty much has been this book.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jun 20, 2016

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

The Transylvito stuff is probably my favorite part of this book so far. We've never really gotten an indepth look at a side besides Gobwin Knob trying to be run, beyond the problems with Heirs in book 2. Seeing how each member of the court falls into place has been interesting, seeing the machinations in the head of a ruler like Don is neat.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

nimby posted:

Don is going to ally GK and then kill himself, leaving Caesar on the throne or something.

I doubt he'll kill himself, but I do see him going down in a heroic sacrifice so some sort. mirroring Slately. Otherwise he'll represent the third option of Him, Slately and Bea. Bea chose death, Slately chose to sacrifice himself in battle, maybe Don is going to choose life.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Kyte posted:

Those burnt bits are making me irrationally uncomfortable.

Same. I actually couldn't finger it until you said it.

Plotwise though, Jillian attacking and capturing Ansom when he came to parley, a violation of the Royal Ideal, is going to be interesting to see how Don reacts. I still think Albert is going to croak Ansom.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

blastron posted:

Caramelized sugar that looks like a faceful of nasty charred boils on the face of a living creature. Aside from Parson getting shot, this is the "goriest" thing we've seen happen in a world where blood doesn't come out of people when you cut them.

I mean book 1 had things like Dwagons with their skeletons and muscles showing from injuries. Book 1 was really good for that disconcerting "These things are cutesy little creatures, look at their horrifying battle wounds that completely unnerve you."

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Well Now we know Ansom's story.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Note that, while it's insulting to be listed after "Orly No.27" it also puts it all into perspective. And I think Tramennis just misread the play. I don't think Ansom is going to be dusted anymore.

EDIT: New Text update I uh... was not expecting that direction for Albert's character. Honestly it's more sad. I fully expected the kid to wind up being the anti-christ of some sort.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jul 4, 2016

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

I think the point is more, if he turned, and Don's new prince turned, he wouldn't be heir, it takes Schmuckers to designate an heir. Then again I don't think he particularly cares about being Heir, his mother is just a female Stanley, except like... a thousand times angrier, and that would be unbearable.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

reignonyourparade posted:

That's pretty unfair to Stanley.

I'm trying to be nice to Jillian

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

NihilCredo posted:

I see. And have you ever considered a less reckless and more fruitful hobby, like starting land wars in Asia?

It is very difficult. I console myself with the fact that she's probably serving as an antagonist and not going to swap to the protagonist side at any time.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

There are qualifiers. Charlie wants Parson, he suspects Parson is in Transylvito. But he's not going to send his own forces to capture Parson, because he's paranoid about dying and surrounds himself with loyal Archon's and fire arms. FAQ is Charlie's strong arm, they're who he goes to when he wants to make a play. Just because Jillian is 61% likely to attack, does not mean that she is, of her own desires, going to.

Like it or not, FAQ is dependent on Charlie for support. When he comes to collect, they have to pay up. Especially since Charlie could just take the giants away, remove his financial backing, remove the protection he's been bestowing to FAQ. Jillian owes Charlie her life on more than one occasion. If Charlie gives her the order to capture Parson. Then the odds are more likely that she will.

However, I believe the remaining 39% is the fact that Jillian of her own will, would not attack Transylvito.

Bruceski posted:

It's a little thing, but I did like the Don/Caesar respect in this one. Most of what we've seen until now has been one or the other focusing on the conflict between them, Don's gestures of respect and aknowledgement of the reason for the conflict are important here.

This is also a change for Don, who has implied multiple times that he was going to demote Caesar period. I think him realizing that Caesar is moving to protect the side and him is what's raising his standard of his Chief Warlord. However, I also think that Ben's Duty may be towards Caesar himself rather than Don. Or, rather, his Duty is towards the side and keeping it running, and Caesar aligns more with the money minded Ben's Duty than Don King has.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Man there are so many people on the official forums desperate to believe that the Bracer HAS to be lying

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Rand Brittain posted:

Well, I mean, the 61% figure can't be correct, because Jillian didn't get up today thinking "well, maybe I'll attack Transylvito, and maybe I'll attack Gobwin Knob." If the bracer was using a priori cosmic knowledge, the figure would be either 1 or 0. It has to be basing its prediction on some other body of knowledge that's less than "all of it", whether that's what Transylvito knows or what Parson knows or whatever.

Except, and this is the key. We don't know the exact phrasing the Ben used, it was whispered to the Bracer.

"What are the chances Jillian will attack us in the next 5 turns." from there 61% can be interpreted as, "In the next 5 turns, there could be a change in situation that would cause this. It is more than 50/50, but there's still a 40% chance that nothing happens."

Even Parson's battle calculation aren't perfect, because they ultimately say there's a very STRONG chance things will work out for you, but there's a chance it can mess up. The only thing the Bracer confirms with 100% likelihood is definitive statements. Such as "Is Vanna an agent of Charlescom."

I also don't see why people think Charlie wouldn't attack TV through Faq. Transylvito represents a weakpoint in his mountain-guard which keeps Charlescomm safe. And Don doesn't know their comms are being hacked. If at any time he mentions allying with Gobwin Knob in a way that can be spied on, that represents a big problem for Charlie. That gives Gobwin Knob a direct avenue to Charlescomm.

It's not like Jillian has never talked about turning on Transylvito, she does it in book 2 when she is trying to convince Wanda to turn to her side.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Yup, we got another scene change right when we're at a climactic point in a storyline. I do not see the peace spell working out well, especially since Roger is involved and he appears to be in contact with Jojo

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Thaddius the Large posted:

Checked the latest strip and, for the first time ever, scrolled down to the comments. Hoooooooooooly poo poo

Yeah uh... Comments on Erf forums fall into generally two categories. Wildly stupid speculation, or... that.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

I left the official forums during the era of one strip a month because any discussion of the schedule was shouted down with ROBS WORKIN SO HARD HE NEEDS MORE CASH BE GRATEFUL FOR WHAT YOU GET

the art has steadily gotten worse since book 1 and yet it's steadily taken longer to produce, funny that

I dunno I think the art during Book 2 was better than 1, but it's definitely gotten worse since then. First due to the new artist and then for whatever reason the art now isn't even as good at Book 2. Not that Book 1 looked bad, it looked really good.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Reene posted:

Book 1 had the best art by far but the current artist(s) are my second favorite.

The weird hosed up perspectives and overuse of gradients the last artist had going on was not pleasant to look at and I almost stopped following the comic because the art was distractingly bad.

That's the current colorist, the Artist currently on book 3 is the same as book 2. Xin Ye. What was the reason for the first artist change, money?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Cat Mattress posted:

David Hahn's style ultimately was disliked by most readers.

Can't imagine why.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

NihilCredo posted:

Colorwork? Please, what about all the pathos and draftsmanship that was put into this pivotal moment?

Hey, it's just them being extremely calm about the situation that is currently proceeding. You should be applauding their strength of will in the face of adversity.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Poison Mushroom posted:

Either he does know, and hasn't cared enough to changed it, or the ErfWorld forums, for all their pedantry, have a terrible grasp of the big picture and nobody there noticed before Carrasco did.

Neither would surprise me.

No the Erfworld forums have been screaming that it was definitely about Bunny being involved in the coup (or being behind the coup, there are a lot of dumb ideas.)

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

New one is up

What.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

blastron posted:

This is a ploy. It has to be. Parson suspects that Don King suspects that Charlie is actively plotting against Transylvito, so telling him Charlie is a Titan would possibly shake the Don's belief in the Titanic mandate to rule and possibly make him more favorable to positive dealings with Gobwin Knob.

This is going to come crashing down beautifully.

Or this is a test. Ansom always went on about Titanic Mandate when it came to the tools, the Royalists found that displeasing, Parson separates himself from the concept by affirming his mortality and then perhaps is spinning it metaphorically, that Charlie is Titanic in power, Gimmicked Portals, Fire Arms etc.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Carrasco posted:

Thanks for that--I read it on my phone, so I didn't realize it was legible writing at all.

Also, "Charlie is a fallen titan who stole the Arkendish and plans to overthrow the other gods" is a hell of a gambit. I have no idea how it's going to work out, but it's pretty clever to take advantage of Charlie's air of mystique by defining him on Parson's own terms. (I think it came up in one of the early Book 2 text updates that GK sort of did this before, by claiming that Charlie was a Toolist as well, which meant no one in the RCC2 would even talk to him except Jillian.)

Well, Charlie can't counter it without revealing information about himself. The thing Charlie does not EVER want to do. While Parson knows that Charlie is just an Erfworlder who attuned, back when Warlady Judy was around.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

nimby posted:

With Charlie able to tap into all kinds of thinkamancy, could he be tapping into the semi-alive thinkamancy golem?

I don't think so, it seems like the kind of "closed loop" Thinkamancy that would escape notice.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Hm, if Maggie somehow manages to Repatriate herself with Jed, then that would be the final defense in the trial.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Knew something like this was happening but it's still great.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Parson, this is a horrible plan.

Poison Mushroom posted:

Holy poo poo, Parson, that's :unsmigghh: as hell.

This chapter is finally getting to the things about Erfworld that I love. Getting us to internalize these rules, and take them for granted, and then turn them inside-loving-out.

Edit poo poo, hang on. If they go through with it, who's gonna protect them against the FAQ attack?

I don't think that Parson realized how serious this was. Also it depends on Maggies answer, does she count what Bill did as torture?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Caidin posted:

They only have the one rifle with that free training feat, it feels like the armed gunman angle might not be a great idea when at best only one person can be relied on not to blow the rest of the teams noses off by accident. Plus the diplomacy strategy as a whole is going to gonna crater when Don gets whacked by Parson the turn after asking around if the GK peace talks are on the level.

Yeah and this runs counter to Parson's own "Don't look like the most dangerous player on the board." He has a chance to really make GK look on the level, this would not work in the long term, and it might not work in the short term. Not only would he gently caress over Wanda in the Magic Kingdom during a situation that's already bad for her. Making GK a complete Pariah even more than they already are. Maggie needs to convince him otherwise.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

http://archives.erfworld.com/Book%203/183

Maggie is amazing as a character. And I'm glad she put her foot down.

EDIT: Kanakanui means "Powerful Man" which yeah, seems apt for Parson.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Aug 5, 2016

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

So... is Vanna going to see them while they sneak around? All I can think is she's been out of sight and thus mind, and she's a super spy, ergo...

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

http://archives.erfworld.com/Book%203/184

That's actually pretty adorable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Well, now Charlie has his justification to turn Jillian on Transylvito