Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

I think Flower Power is gonna be their only hope at this point honestly. Like the Hippiemancers moving enmasse to shut everyone down, and from there someone's getting taken prisoner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

rndmnmbr posted:

Or maybe that's just that. The decrypted get Wanda out, then get slaughtered en mass along with the rest of the Gobwin Knob casters. Parson gets croaked, wakes up back on Earth.

Where there's a certain pair of shoes somewhere in Kansas...

Ooh, that'd be...actually kind of make sense. They set up the Arkenshoes pretty hard as a plot device only for them to conveniently vanish from the setting, and it would be a shame if we never saw them again.

Also: Did Marie just get dusted? Because that's what it looks like. Which implies things. I guess we'll see next update.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

I dunno, Caesar now has a very compelling answer to both Don King and Transylvito's money problems.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

Erev posted:

To clarify - this is sort of what I mean. I feel that Thinkamancers, in their current form, cheapen some of the other casting classes to one extent or another - especially casting classes that deal with the mind or perception.

I agree with this. Thinkamancers are incredibly OP as depicted precisely because the author has failed to really draw a line between thinkamancy and other thematically similar magical disciplines, meaning they end up getting a pretty big slice of the pie in terms of the kinds of powers available to them and the others lose out.

I understand the current scenario was set up and foreshadowed to allow the Great Minds to intervene in the way they did, I just wish he'd found a less hamfisted way to do it I guess.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

Kyte posted:

People seriously thought that? After the whole "it puts the lotion on the skin" thing?

That got played off as a joke. This successfully came across as creepy and horrifying as hell.

Very nicely put-together update.

Interesting that Wanda is so concerned about the bodies, also. I'm glad we might be seeing Marie again at least.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

I may be misremembering the panel, I just recall the lotion line coming off as...I guess flippant? Too memeish? It just wasn't as effective to me as this one was.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

I would assume that's why it's giving such a certain reading to Don King right now, where it's usually much more imprecise. It appears to be actively attempting to manipulate the side and sabotage Charlie.

I wonder how much of that is Fate and how much of that is the parameters of the Perfect Warlord spell, still trying to do its job.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

Cat Mattress posted:

Except Vanna isn't officially working for him.

But it would still obfuscate the true source of the knowledge all the same. Vanna being a turncoat is mundane, it's within the parameters of what people know to be possible. She could also easily cover it up by leaking it to units in Faq when she got back, thereby seeding multiple potential sources of the knowledge as well as handing Charlie a potential lever to use on Faq later.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

I really enjoy the comic itself, even the text updates which I know a lot of people hate, but I cannot stand how oversaturated with extra crap the website is now. The new layout is hideous and difficult to navigate as well. It's definitely pretty disappointing how they can't seem to get the administrative side of things sorted out.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

How long until they acknowledge that it's hideous on pretty much every other platform too?

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

Book 1 had the best art by far but the current artist(s) are my second favorite.

The weird hosed up perspectives and overuse of gradients the last artist had going on was not pleasant to look at and I almost stopped following the comic because the art was distractingly bad.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

Well, that was kinda left field.

Onmi posted:

That's the current colorist, the Artist currently on book 3 is the same as book 2. Xin Ye. What was the reason for the first artist change, money?

I meant David Hahn. The current is pretty decent.

The weird thing is if you look at David's other work it's not nearly as bad as what he produced for Erfworld. :shrug:

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

One thing: He didn't say when Parson would need to cast it.

But if this is part of Don's deal with Charlescomm (if one was made) I'd expect Charlie to have thought of it.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

We did literally just read about how Thinkamancers can remotely cut strings, and when you consider their situation, there are no real drawbacks to them doing so in this case and a lot of potential downsides if they did happen to get back to Charlie. It's not likely anyone will ever know what they did, either, though judging by Charlie's reaction he probably has some idea.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

Masterstroke for the Minds, then, if they can get to the bodies or decide to reveal that they can Look beneath bedrock to show those casters in Charlescomm livery.

That should pretty much do for Charlie if that happens.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

I'm going to venture a guess that Sizemore is also involved in whatever is invading Gobwin Knob. Bringing invaders to your side's city probably counts as something against Duty after all.

To what end, though, I dunno.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

Considering Erfworld used to be hosted on Giant in the Playground I assume it was good-natured. Albeit a bit rich, yes, considering how touch-and-go they've been in the past about updates.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

It just cements my opinion that the book should have really wrapped the hell up after the MK battle instead of spinning this poo poo out.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

Well, that's certainly progress.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

Another counterpoint would be Ansom reflecting that he probably never actually loved Jillian, which is backed up reasonably well in retrospect. I had frankly completely forgotten Jack making a pass at Jillian -- was it actually more than that? He liked her way back when, sure, but that doesn't mean he harbored a secret flame for her still years later.

I get the sense that the Decrypted have a lot more free will than you'd expect in some ways. They are certainly bound to Wanda, but that appears to go both ways -- she's intensely possessive of her creations, which for her may well be a kind of love.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

Yesss Wanda's back in play :allears:

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

My prediction is Janis turns the moment she's decrypted. They've been foreshadowing it for pages by repeatedly bringing up that decrypted units can do that; it's really a matter of who at this point, not if, and Janis makes the most sense.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

Welp. So much for having an update buffer.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

Even a re-read has bad pacing, though. The dude legitimately seems to have a difficult time threading the plot together. I mean, to be fair, that's a common Thing in fantasy novels too, which is why they tend to be bloated 800 page monstrosities anymore.

Part of it also feels like he kind of stretches it out because there's an incentive to have more updates rather than fewer in the form of a Patreon-esque that pays by the update.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

I can kind of understand keeping Bill around but goddamn there is really no reason Vanna should still be around even in a dungeon. She is way too dangerous. What is he hoping to gain by keeping her?

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

Today's update was pretty cool. Lots of character development.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

Even if it breaks the treaty the penalty GK pays in return for a functioning gun and a Decrypted caster poised to storm the Magic Kingdom is definitely worth it.

Rygar201 posted:

poo poo is about to get really real

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

I wonder if Parson saying "poo poo" instead of "boop" was intentional.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

Phenotype posted:

Eh, the other webcomic I read is Order of the Stick, so by that measure Erfworld updates like a clock. The point of his donation mechanics is to keep the comic running regularly, and to that end it works just fine, and I'm not too concerned about an update slightly after midnight. I do want him to keep the quality up and not feel compelled to ship whatever he's got because it's 10pm, and if he got burned by the site going down at the last minute, I can understand how he can't afford to randomly take that kind of financial hit -- it's their only source of income now.

I mean, he could have just run a normal Kickstarter or something and have all the money and no impetus to keep updating regularly, so I tend to cut him some slack if he has to bend the mechanics a tiny bit when he has an unforeseen issue.

To be honest I have way less sympathy for the dude and his schedule after watching the growth of Kill Six Billion Demons, which also almost always updates twice a week with much more detailed art and only one person doing it. And without vast swaths of the comic being replaced with walls of text.

And he shouldn't need an impetus like that to keep updating. Like okay, his commitment and work ethic are lovely so he needs to tie his revenue directly to actually releasing his poo poo on time. Fair enough but that's not a positive thing and it's weird to keep seeing him and other people try to spin it like it is.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

Yeah that definitely looks like link backlash. Same weirdly disjointed quasi-poetic speech, same grey-washed skin.

I wonder which fate is worse if you're a Great Mind, death or that.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

So, huh.

I kind of hope this information is, at most, an incomplete perspective. The notion that Fate is actually something people create is potentially an interesting angle, but the execution is kind of wonky. Especially when it's delivered in an internal monologue, meaning that despite being huge thematically, it doesn't really change anything for anyone else.

It explains what the jester was in Jillian's mind and why Charlie freaked and called it the enemy.

It's clearly not the whole story but there's also clearly something to it.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

I don't think Caesar knows the Minds were responsible. Might be misremembering.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

my dad posted:

Wait, I feel like I missed something. Charlie's daughter?

Olive Branch, creator of the Heroine Buds and former master of Wanda. She was a text update/novella character.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

ArgumentatumE.C.T. posted:

Does Charlie have any source of information on Wanda's motives other than Jillian? ...who has been wrong in her bold assessments of Wanda's thinking almost all of the time?

Besides literally diving into her head to do some pruning at one point? No. But that's kind of enough.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

Ditocoaf posted:

Charlie promised (and signed a contract) to eradicate all his flowers, specifically so that he couldn't use them against Wanda and Jillian. Right now he's basically claiming to have failed to uphold that. Wanda may not even believe him.

He promised to get rid of his flowers, but what he's offering isn't actually the flowers, just some kind of Thinkamancy facsimile of them. It's a classic Charlie loophole.

ArgumentatumE.C.T. posted:

A lot has happened since then.

Her overriding motivations though (particularly re: fate) have not changed since then however. Charlie may be underestimating her respect for Parson though.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

Saw that coming. Still kind of sad about it.

Marie's going to turn, isn't she?

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

no, if she wanted to do that she could easily have done it without freeing georgia power and murdering her way through faq's leadership corps. she's here to fetch jillian because she foresaw wanda would be in trouble in the MK and has some plan to deal with it involving jillian.

Jillian may not have accepted her offer to turn before seeing her murder Power. In fact I'd say it's overwhelmingly likely she wouldn't, given her general stance toward Decrypted.

It's also an issue of timing. Yeah she could have tried to turn earlier but that wasn't the right time to do it. Predictamancy v:shobon:v

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

uh

holy poo poo

that was pretty excellent

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

It isn't an ex machina when the comic spends a lot of time and several strips setting this up.

I mean you could argue it's an abrupt or unsatisfying answer to the problem of being surrounded by a ton of archons with guns but it's not an ex machina by definition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

It was certainly more set up than uncroaking a volcano, which I don't recall anyone complaining too much about.