Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

God, I say so much embarrassing stuff to my cat and call her so many things. I will generally make much of her and say things like "What a kitty you are! You are just *such* a kitty, look at this kitty-face!" Kitty-Face is a semi-common name. Her name is Jackie, but I generally call her "Jackie-Cat" as it somehow sounds cuter or something.

When she's purring loudly and being affectionate I call her "Big Purr". "You are such a Big Purr! etc". Also, "BigPaw", as reference to her enormous front paws which actually look more like a normal cat paw with a slightly smaller cat paw growing out the side of it, than a thumb. I mean she has 16 goddamn toes on her two front paws alone, so BigPaw she is sometimes. When I am feeling proper she is "Miss Jacqueline". When she's lashing her tail about she's "Little Miss Tail Lash," you get the idea.

It sort of sucks because I didn't get to name her, and I'd never name a cat "Jackie", it's just not something I would ever do. So part of me resents that a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Dothewhatnow posted:

I constantly just call my cat "Idiot" or "Tard."

He's always almost falling off his tower because he can't sit still and he'll fart in his own face when cleaning himself and scare himself because of it.

Yeah, my cat would never do any of those things and I wouldn't call her idiot or 'tard because she seems to have a surprising understanding of the English language and when I say anything disparaging to her, I feel like looks genuinely hurt at times (yes I realize I'm projecting and likely making it up in my head) but I feel like some cats are honestly sensitive enough to pick up on that stuff! So I try to stay encouraging. "Yes, you're such a good girl. You know that, yes you are! You are a good kitty, is what you are, little miss good kitty. Indeed. What a good kitty!"

Frankly, it really is a good thing most of us probably only talk like this when we're alone with my pets because just transcribing it is a little sobering in how vapid it is.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

I'm beginning to think it's odd that neither I nor anyone I've known in my family or otherwise has cutesy cat nicknames involving flatulence and/or feces. Who knew!

Also, I forgot that another really common thing I call my cat is Lickitung, generally when she does her obsessive licking thing and uses her massive freaking paw to hold my hand down while she obsessively licks the gently caress out of my fingers, usually on both of my hands.

I think my cat is particularly obsessive about her grooming, though. She basically gives herself complete baths, daily. Probably has to do with why her fur is so particularly soft and silky :) Which reminds me of another nickname I call her all the time: Teddy Bear, or more often "Who's my sweet little Teddy Bear??" While cuddling or nuzzling my face into her shoulder, of which she is amazingly tolerant.

But I say that because her fur is just so soft and fluffy that it does remind me a bit of really soft, plush teddy bears. Or maybe I've just forgotten how they feel, it's been a while..

kaworu fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Mar 8, 2016

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

El Gar posted:

Your pets can't actually understand you.

If I say a random name, my cat will more or less ignore me. If I say her name, she picks up her head and looks at me. Dogs can obviously be trained with commands.

But even more to the point, pets understand us in different ways. When we use these silly pet names, we often also use a particularly affectionate tone of voice; we use body language that can easily be read as loving and affectionate, often because we are petting them/lovin' on them, whatever. Pets absolutely understand this - they get what's going on. To what extent we can only estimate and surmise.

Obviously, they aren't literally understanding the affectionate nicknames we give them. But I think there's a case to be made that they recognize the tone of voice they're said in and the set of behaviors they're combined with and figure out pretty quickly the overall gist. Cats can be dumb but they aren't TOTALLY dumb.

• Locked thread