Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Squalid posted:

I don't know how to hold a fish :regd09:

Learn. You probably knocked off a ton of skin slime, leaving him vulnerable to infections and fungus leading to an early death.

Or not. But still learn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

1 second after that he jumped out of my hands and was back in the stream so at least i wasn't bothering him long :/

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
If you're catch and releasing really try to not take them out of the water. It greatly increased the chance they'll die later even if they're alive when you let them go. Also don't hold them by the gills

perabyte
Apr 2, 2005

Angry
Here's a few Salmon on the fly last year in Kodiak.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

drat nice sockeye. Would love to do the Alaska fishery some day.

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

Those are some amazing looking fish.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
What's up with the red one? That looks prehistoric as gently caress.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

gay picnic defence posted:

What's up with the red one? That looks prehistoric as gently caress.

Sockeye Salmon end-of-life mating colors. The jaw also deforms into that wicked hook on the males. The rest of their lives they are pretty standard silver color. Before they start up river they are considered some of the best tasting salmons.

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves

perabyte posted:

Here's a few Salmon on the fly last year in Kodiak.

Kill it! Kill it with fire! And lemon pepper and maybe a little rosemary! :supaburn:

perabyte
Apr 2, 2005

Angry

Dr Ozziemandius posted:

Kill it! Kill it with fire! And lemon pepper and maybe a little rosemary! :supaburn:

I put the sockeye back, and let it die naturally. Besides, once they turn red like that it means they've been in fresh water too long and the meat is spoiled. I did however come back to 50lbs of silver salmon. Which I cooked all different ways.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
That is a very scary looking fish.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

The life cycle of pacific salmon is pretty wild. That fish stopped eating already and all its fat and protein will go to keeping it alive only long enough to mate. It had no hope of survival and will die after having sex for the first time.

Armed Neutrality
May 8, 2006

BUY MORE CRABS
Alpine brookie after release. :)

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

LingcodKilla posted:

The life cycle of pacific salmon is pretty wild. That fish stopped eating already and all its fat and protein will go to keeping it alive only long enough to mate. It had no hope of survival and will die after having sex for the first time.

stay safe ugly sex fish

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves

perabyte posted:

I put the sockeye back, and let it die naturally. Besides, once they turn red like that it means they've been in fresh water too long and the meat is spoiled. I did however come back to 50lbs of silver salmon. Which I cooked all different ways.

I had no idea they got all gross and inedible before they died. My salmon comes from the store, unfortunately.

Armed Neutrality posted:

Alpine brookie after release. :)

That's a pretty trout, right there.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

My fav fish

boops boops

Furious Mittens
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

I like catching gummy sharks, they taste great

They banned commercial fishing in a bay near where I live and the population of these smaller sharks is going through the roof.

Dude, I would kill to be able to fish with you.

I do a lot of wading and fishing kayaking in the mountains of North Carolina and Tennessee (mostly bass and some amazing trout), and I've got to say it's the best experience. I've always wanted to do it in a bay or brackish area, talk about relaxing and challenging.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Furious Mittens posted:

Dude, I would kill to be able to fish with you.

I do a lot of wading and fishing kayaking in the mountains of North Carolina and Tennessee (mostly bass and some amazing trout), and I've got to say it's the best experience. I've always wanted to do it in a bay or brackish area, talk about relaxing and challenging.
There is nothing like fishing from a kayak in salt water, it just feels different to anything else.

I took the yak out into Bass Strait the other day, not very far but I've never been outside the bays before so it was new for me

I got a couple of baby skates later in the day

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Are you using cut bait? Have you tried jigging bars?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I've got a couple of Gomoku micro jigs but I've never really done that sort if fishing before. You can sometimes get yellowtail kingfish on jigs in that area but you have to find them first, and once you've found them they need to be in the mood to hit a jig or you'll just get sore arms. I tend to do better with bait so that's what I use most of the time. That day I was using some squid I caught in the morning and banana prawns from a local supermarket. Those prawns are like fish candy!

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Yeah i noticed you seem to catch a lot of bottom fish. Do you use a scanner to fish over rocks/structure or do you just wander around? I'm curious if you got near apex predator fish waiting in ambush on rock piles like we do in CA, US.

Furious Mittens
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

There is nothing like fishing from a kayak in salt water, it just feels different to anything else.

I took the yak out into Bass Strait the other day, not very far but I've never been outside the bays before so it was new for me

I got a couple of baby skates later in the day

You are living the dream of this goon, sir.

If you are ever up in my area of the world, I'd be glad to exchange some great mountain trout/bass fishing for a turn out on your bays and coastline.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

LingcodKilla posted:

Yeah i noticed you seem to catch a lot of bottom fish. Do you use a scanner to fish over rocks/structure or do you just wander around? I'm curious if you got near apex predator fish waiting in ambush on rock piles like we do in CA, US.
I keep some metal slugs on the kayak in case I come across some baitfish busting up, but generally I don't target topwater species because the common ones don't taste that good. Also, Westernport is very tidal and a lot of weed gets ripped up which makes trolling lures a pain in the arse because they keep getting fouled.

I've got a sounder on the yak to look for structure to anchor over, sometimes I just drift and try and cover a lot of ground. Sometimes the anchor drags and I drift whether I like it or not lol.

The main ambush predators we have are flathead ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flathead_(fish) ), and mulloway/jewfish ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argyrosomus_japonicus ), they tend to prefer structure that funnels prey towards them so you often find them in channels or deeper holes in the bottom.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Oh drat those look nice. I'd be all over that.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
I will post fish now.

Pretty fish:

Toothy fish:

Walleye fish:

Prehistoric fish:

Ugly fish:

I hope you guys liked the fish.

Stik3
Jan 28, 2015

From President of the colonies to this.
Threads like these inspire me to learn how to fillet fish. I love fishing, and I love eating fish. I am wasting potential :(

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Filleting is really easy and worth learning how to do. There's heaps of videos on youtube, that's how I learnt.

Kim Jong ill
Jul 28, 2010

NORTH KOREA IS ONLY KOREA.
Also, don't forget you can just gut and scale a fish and cook it whole.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Kim Jong ill posted:

Also, don't forget you can just gut and scale a fish and cook it whole.

You don't even need to do that, I'm going kingfish and tuna fishing in a few weeks and the soy sauce and wasabi is definitely coming out with me.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Oh god i love slaughtering albacore. So much meat in the head after doing the basic cuts. I just gorge on it and by the time I'm done with the cuts I'm ready for bed.

I miss tuna fishing with my uncle.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Stik3 posted:

Threads like these inspire me to learn how to fillet fish. I love fishing, and I love eating fish. I am wasting potential :(

bad time of the year for it but i could make a video or something but it seems dumb since youtube has a thousand, what do you usually catch?

Stik3
Jan 28, 2015

From President of the colonies to this.

extra stout posted:

bad time of the year for it but i could make a video or something but it seems dumb since youtube has a thousand, what do you usually catch?

I've been told the best 'eating' fish we catch often are pike, no need to make a video - although I appreciate the offer, you guys pointing out that I could probably self teach with youtube was something I didn't think about. It's not something I would have to look into now anyways, since I don't live near the lake anymore and it would require me to get myself a fishing license or whatever they're actually called.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Me and a couple of like-minded mates went for a bit of a hike to a rock ledge that has access to some very deep water.

The ledge:

The climb in and out was 'interesting', it took about 30min to climb this section with all the gear.

Ended up being a 19 hour round trip for a Port Jackson shark, a bunch of sweep and a few wrasse, not the greatest return for the effort of getting there but fun nonetheless.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Interesting. Our rocky shoreline usually produces good fish living in the cracks of the rocks near the surf line. We "poke pole" for eels and rockfish. Kinda dangerous because you generally are looking down instead of at the ocean but you can snag some nice critters.

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

I'm going to try to dig up a picture of the blue marlin we caught in New Zealand. He was a 250 pounder, probably 8 or 9 feet long. Took 2 or 3 hours to reel in which was an amazing experience for a mostly inexperienced fisherman. I just do some lake fishing and small time stuff on vacation.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Took the kayak out again yesterday

What it looks like from land

Ended up with a few nice flathead and some calamari for dinner tonight

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Took the kayak out again yesterday

What it looks like from land

Ended up with a few nice flathead and some calamari for dinner tonight

The calamari take the hook? That's cool. Out here we sometimes get whole fish attacked by Humboldt squid. Not cool.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Nah, I used jigs for those squid. It's also common here to use a baited prong under a float, and sometimes you find they've attacked a hooked fish or a lure but that doesn't happen very often. You'd get a great feed off a humboldt squid but at that size they'd be a headfuck to deal with, even these little squid seem determined to give me and the kayak a new coat of paint.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

I've jigged up a few rock fish from my kayak. Even managed to get a photo.

I've done a bit of fishing for science too. Here's a big yellow eye we caught.

Edit: Ling-a-ling-a-ling-a-ling!!!!!!!!!!

B33rChiller fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Feb 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Your the dude up in Alaska right?

I'm almost certainly moving to Puget sound, Washington this summer and can't wait to start fishing.