Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Oh I know, I was saying that 4-6" is large for the stunted population in this pond. I was fishing a bass tournament this spring and caught what was likely a citation sized bluegill, but in my bass frenzy I threw him back without a pic. I regretted it before he disappeared from view.

My favorite sunfish are Redbreasts. My favorite smallie spot is full of them and they are great fighters. I would love to catch a Warmouth, just cuz of the name, but I have never seen one around here, despite a lot of my spots having a population.

I kinda want to get into panfishing more. When I first started on bass I used really light tackle and would often give up on bass and target panfish. Once I had bass figured out a bit I stopped doing it, but I kinda want to get a tenkara rod to carry around so if I see a good spot I can quickly jump into panfish mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

So I just wacky rigged a fluke and caught a bass on my 3rd cast with it. Seems like a good, durable presentation, no?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I have never tried it. I just t-rig them until the nose gets tore up, then I trim them back and use them for trailers. I love working a fluke, they are my favorite plastic.

If it's working though, go nuts, they are about half the price of senkos.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

bongwizzard posted:

I have never tried it. I just t-rig them until the nose gets tore up, then I trim them back and use them for trailers. I love working a fluke, they are my favorite plastic.

If it's working though, go nuts, they are about half the price of senkos.

Gonna give it a shot. BTW, the thicker plastic and less greasy texture on the BPS Stik-o's makes them much more durable than Senkos and they seem to get bit at a comparable rate. I don't know if I'm ever going to go back.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

bongwizzard posted:

Oh I know, I was saying that 4-6" is large for the stunted population in this pond. I was fishing a bass tournament this spring and caught what was likely a citation sized bluegill, but in my bass frenzy I threw him back without a pic. I regretted it before he disappeared from view.

My favorite sunfish are Redbreasts. My favorite smallie spot is full of them and they are great fighters. I would love to catch a Warmouth, just cuz of the name, but I have never seen one around here, despite a lot of my spots having a population.

I kinda want to get into panfishing more. When I first started on bass I used really light tackle and would often give up on bass and target panfish. Once I had bass figured out a bit I stopped doing it, but I kinda want to get a tenkara rod to carry around so if I see a good spot I can quickly jump into panfish mode.

I was poorly wording my post but just wanted to establish what people consider big for their region is. Are warmouth and redeye the same species or is one a hybrid? And a sort of related question here: Has anyone ever caught a green sunfish that was actually big enough to eat or is this impossible?

Around here it's black/white crappie, bluegill, pumpkin seed and green sunfish in that order. The crappie are dinner sized more often than not, but the list shrinks pretty quickly. I never keep pumpkins either, they're too pretty and slightly smaller than bluegill here.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I've been fishing semi regularly for about 2 years now, upgrading my gear and fishing spots.

I'm mostly fishing inshore in Old Tampa Bay, where the 2 most sought after fish are Red Drum and Snook. I've caught a little bit of everything, but still haven't landed a Snook.

This past Saturday, a buddy and I went out . We both did ok but he landed a nice size Sheepshead and a Snook. I was jealous.

I went back out Monday morning, and on my last shrimp! I hooked a nice size fish I thought was a Red at first. It surfaced for just long enough to catch his black stripe. A Snook!

He broke me off 3 feet from my kayak :(

Rama of Ra
Sep 7, 2005
~Where's Sitka? Right about the middle of your thumb.~

The circle of life:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Nice kings!

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Goddamn I wanna go salmon fishing this season but can't justify it with expenses. :(

bongwizzard posted:

God I wish I could backyard fish. The farm I am living on has a pond, but it is so full of tadpoles and stunted bluegills that I cant see that there are any bass in there. But, I have never really given it a good hard try. Might grab some minnows and see what's in there.
I grew up on a 5 acre man-made fishing pond that I hand-stocked, and can tell you from experience: If you can hear small frogs, there are no bass. Bass will clean a pond of frogs within a year or two of being introduced, and the only things left will be bullfrogs and other monsters that are big enough to travel to the pond and hang out there looking to get laid (and thus feed the bass anyway.) Eventually the bullfrogs give up as well, just like the customers at a bar with no ladies night.

This lack of bass can easily be remedied by catching a half dozen bass and transporting them - but I'd only ever even consider this in an entirely man-made pond cut off from the watershed... And even then, it's still irresponsible because once a flood hits those bass can spread and gently caress errybody else up

edit: if you're serious: I would look into stocking panfish at least one year before I added bass, and get a nice healthy population like two dozen so they can fight and starve out and not end up inbred - don't toss any lunkers in there, stick to medium-small. After one or two years, toss in 6-10 bass, and you'll have an amazing pond you can enjoy the poo poo out of really quickly - just keep the willows and crap from growing up on the shores if you have nutria in your area.. If you get a slightly larger than necessary stocker population to begin with, you can risk fishing them and releasing them for fun once in a while before they really build up a population, and not be concerned about the losses from whatever predators, system shock, or gut-hooks might happen. Also talk to the property owners about splitting the use of a dinghy or paddleboat or something, because you'll want it and it's a super nice way to spend an evening sipping daquiris and paddling around a pond in the sunset

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Nov 2, 2016

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Nice Kings, where'd ya catch em at?

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
so if I use a 6-weight fly-fishing rod to baitfish in the ocean off of rocks, am I going to break it / embed a hook in my eye?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Six weight is for trout and stuff. Also jetty rocks can badly scratch your rod and flyrods aren't designed to be put in a holder.

If you're getting small panfish it'll probably be fine but man I'd be constantly terrified of scraping it on the rocks, and I'm concerned about the size of flies you're using with a 6 weight in saltwater - if you clip your flyrod with a heavy metal bead or a good-sized and heavier hookshank, it'll snap eventually at that spot.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Are fly rods more fragile than conventional casting are spinning rods?

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

bongwizzard posted:

Are fly rods more fragile than conventional casting are spinning rods?

In my experience, no, but I also only use ultralight spinning tackle so it's all the same to me. YMMV

:shrug:

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
define "fragile".

flyrods have way better tensile strength and can bow a lot more than most other rods because they don't run with a drag however, you also need to know what kind of weight you're running on your rod and line.. And if you chip a modern flyrod it's probably gonna bust in half at that point, eventually.

More conventional rods are usually more durable however, some of the nicer and more flexible ones can, again, just break off if they're set down wrong and get a hard jerk on them that doesn't allow them to have a perfect bow in their arc (a brilliant example of this is laying a rigged rod with your weight and lures in the water and then leaving it lying half-on and half-off of a boat or jetty, and then see what happens when a strong fish grabs your poo poo and takes off -pop! I learned this when a fishing guide did it while we were fishing largemouth bass on table rock lake), but usually they're a lot sturdier and more durable than flyrods.

It largely depends on materials as well - glass with a nick is dead man walking, but bamboo with a gouge is probably fine and can be repaired.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Nov 26, 2016

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I had a guy carve me a vermillion rockfish and lingcod. Love them! I may have him make me a king salmon and halibut next year.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

LingcodKilla posted:

I had a guy carve me a vermillion rockfish and lingcod. Love them! I may have him make me a king salmon and halibut next year.

That's awesome.

Also I found out yesterday I am an idiot and was fishing with braid that was too thick for my reel. I switched from whatever 10lb diameter to 8lb diameter Spiderwire and my casts are going 25 to 30% further with less effort.

I'm easily outdistancing my summer casting while wearing a bulky coat and gloves.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Those fuckin own

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

LingcodKilla posted:

Oh dude, remind me to share a pic of the steelhead carving at my folks' beach house.. My old carpentry teacher is a like world-class carving nut, and he accidentally chipped a bit off the top of the tail of this ridiculous carving of a steelhead rearing back along its own length to snatch at something.. It's like 2' wide by 16" high, and 8" deep, so he basically just handed it off to my dad because it wasn't worth showing or putting his stamp on.

ALso the Northwest Steelhead Junkies and a lot of flyfishing groups on facebook have high-end woodcarving nuts who're always showcasing their projects, it's rad

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Dec 8, 2016

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Wood carving is so last century:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRxhgxH6FUI

While I want neither of those products alone, I would pay a lot for that talking fish.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

poo poo, forgot this thread existed. HOPE YOU WANTED PICTURES

I had a fantastic trip to Crowley Lake in CA earlier this year the yielded some awesome fish. Pretty much all of these were taken in the north point area of the lake, most were caught on snail pattern flies. All were released! Not pictured: All the fuckin weeds we snagged.

Between myself, my father and my uncle we all caught several fish each day and had a hard time one-upping each other. Notable catches:

Biggest fish on the trip was my Uncle's 25 inch rainbow. Looks deceptively small in the picture: that net is huge and doubles as a paddle. Fish was big enough I actually had to use my net to catch what his net could not and basically shove it in there. Please note the huge fuckoff scar this one has in its midsection, gave him a good fight for a good 10+ minutes at least.

My biggest was a cutthroat I snagged while setting off first thing in the morning. Dragged me around in my little donut tube for a good chunk of time before finally bringing him in, only to nearly flip over trying not to lose him at picture time. Just shy of 23 inches, prettiest trout on the trip IMO.

Dad was the guest on this trip and caught his first big trout in ages this year! A pretty brown from our last day out there. 22 inches.

Plenty of others in the upper teens, including this brown hybrid who put up a huge fight. I thought he was going to be much bigger for sure. Still a respectable 18 inches.

This rainbow I dubbed 'idiot fish #1' for reasons that will soon be obvious. I'd have that face too, buddy.

A really tired guy who also gave out a hell of a fight

And poor tiny idiot fish #2

Great trip, convinced Dad that fishing in the fall was better than in the middle of summer at this place, and looking forward to the next trip!

Chaosfeather fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Dec 27, 2016

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Them some good trout!

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Holy poo poo. Can I catch trout like that with senkos on a spin rod?

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Can't say I've used senkos for these guys, but before I decided fly fishing was my thing I used a spinning rod and caught some respectable trout. I don't see why you couldn't?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
The midwest finesse guys go "bass fishing for trout" with their ned rigs and I have caught stocked rainbows on all sorts of random rear end bass lures. My best day being like 15ish of them on a series of small cranks.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

bongwizzard posted:

The midwest finesse guys go "bass fishing for trout" with their ned rigs and I have caught stocked rainbows on all sorts of random rear end bass lures. My best day being like 15ish of them on a series of small cranks.

I've caught 22-24" browns and rainbows pretty easily in gold medal waters using small rapalas (floating and countdown both) where I only use the back hook. Treble or a single is fine.

Usually with small rapalas, you're really provoking an aggression response more so than feeding in my experience.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

gamera009 posted:

I've caught 22-24" browns and rainbows pretty easily in gold medal waters using small rapalas (floating and countdown both) where I only use the back hook. Treble or a single is fine.

Usually with small rapalas, you're really provoking an aggression response more so than feeding in my experience.

Small rainbow pattern rapalas are absolute trout killers. It's the only thing I use in Montana. The big browns and rainbows go nuts on them. Same practise with removing the mid body treble.

perabyte
Apr 2, 2005

Angry

Chaosfeather posted:

poo poo, forgot this thread existed. HOPE YOU WANTED PICTURES

I had a fantastic trip to Crowley Lake in CA earlier this year the yielded some awesome fish. Pretty much all of these were taken in the north point area of the lake, most were caught on snail pattern flies. All were released! Not pictured: All the fuckin weeds we snagged.

Between myself, my father and my uncle we all caught several fish each day and had a hard time one-upping each other. Notable catches:

Biggest fish on the trip was my Uncle's 25 inch rainbow. Looks deceptively small in the picture: that net is huge and doubles as a paddle. Fish was big enough I actually had to use my net to catch what his net could not and basically shove it in there. Please note the huge fuckoff scar this one has in its midsection, gave him a good fight for a good 10+ minutes at least.

My biggest was a cutthroat I snagged while setting off first thing in the morning. Dragged me around in my little donut tube for a good chunk of time before finally bringing him in, only to nearly flip over trying not to lose him at picture time. Just shy of 23 inches, prettiest trout on the trip IMO.

Dad was the guest on this trip and caught his first big trout in ages this year! A pretty brown from our last day out there. 22 inches.

Plenty of others in the upper teens, including this brown hybrid who put up a huge fight. I thought he was going to be much bigger for sure. Still a respectable 18 inches.

This rainbow I dubbed 'idiot fish #1' for reasons that will soon be obvious. I'd have that face too, buddy.

A really tired guy who also gave out a hell of a fight

And poor tiny idiot fish #2

Great trip, convinced Dad that fishing in the fall was better than in the middle of summer at this place, and looking forward to the next trip!

Nice! Always cool to see pics of fish from my home waters.

civilian.d
Sep 21, 2006

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
Anyone like flyfishing saltwater and catching a million random things on the reef then finally a nice triggerfish?

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
*floats by on an inflatable unicorn*

Ya catchin anything?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

No luck. Nice river in northern Idaho though.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

It has been too long sense I posted a fish. These are two of the better ones from the last few weeks.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

bongwizzard posted:

It has been too long sense I posted a fish. These are two of the better ones from the last few weeks.

Nice. I have been out of state so no fishing for me. I enjoy seeing what you come up with though!

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Here is a tough old bastard I caught today, he had a dead eye and was missing part of his tail fin.

Then I caught his fat wife.

Today was great, these two and like 6-7 more decent fish, all from a tiny tiny pond that is a mile from parking. That mile is loving key as I saw so little evidence of other people fishing there. I did run into another guy who was also there for the first time, we both swore to tell no one.

I caught them on a wacky 4" senko. I am trying to give wacky rigging a solid try and while I like the results, I hate how much I snag and how much poo poo I leave in the water. I have never found a weedless wacky hook that I like, might give circle hooks a try next.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

bongwizzard posted:

Here is a tough old bastard I caught today, he had a dead eye and was missing part of his tail fin.

Then I caught his fat wife.

Today was great, these two and like 6-7 more decent fish, all from a tiny tiny pond that is a mile from parking. That mile is loving key as I saw so little evidence of other people fishing there. I did run into another guy who was also there for the first time, we both swore to tell no one.

I caught them on a wacky 4" senko. I am trying to give wacky rigging a solid try and while I like the results, I hate how much I snag and how much poo poo I leave in the water. I have never found a weedless wacky hook that I like, might give circle hooks a try next.

I actually have less snagging problems on twiggy leafy bottoms with wacky than with T-rigs.

Also, I've been fishing larger Senkos, but am I sizing myself out of medium fish by going larger than 4"?

Edit:. Also in my backyard testbed wacky produced way more bites and hook ups

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
That is madness, are you burying the hook when you t-rig them, or leaving it exposed on top of the worm?

As for senko size, I don't know man. My instinct is to always fish the smallest lure I can, but I am slowly coming around to the idea that one should start big, then start sizing down if one isnt getting bit. I have absolutely caught bass on a 5" wacky senko that are small enough to stand no chance of actually eating a real creature of the size of the worm. I was using 4" ones as I had them left over from my "Battle of the 4" Stick Worms" I held last fall, and they fit in the tiny hiking kit I wanted to bring today.

The "winner" of said battle was the 4" Strike King Ocho, but I was specifically looking for a worm to use in some of the really small streams that I fish and the Ocho seemed to have the best mix of action and sink rate when rigged both ways.

I am trying to learn the way of the senko but I am so twitchy that it is hard to fish it slow enough. It is already clear what an amazing fish catching tool a wacky rigged senko is though, it is nuts how I can throw half a dozen lures at a bedded bass and only when I throw a wacky worm at it will it bite.

Also, I am in the process of purging a ton of poo poo from my huge mess of plastics. I am going to donate the unopened stuff to this charity that takes disabled vets fishing, but PM me your address if you want a bunch of half empty bags of random plastics. I gotta get them out of here before I lose my will and file them all back away. There is some good stuff in there but I am making an effort to learn the classics this season and need to reclaim some space on my workbench.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I don't have a fish to post but is the a thread about fishing? I want to get my wife a fishing pole but it has to be collapsible because lol City apartment

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

The Slack Lagoon posted:

I don't have a fish to post but is the a thread about fishing? I want to get my wife a fishing pole but it has to be collapsible because lol City apartment

You want this one here.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Does it have to be collapsible, or can it be multi part? To get a good collapsible you're in for about $160-180, a decent multipart can be had for less.

What's your budget and what is your wife going to be fishing for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

bongwizzard posted:

Does it have to be collapsible, or can it be multi part? To get a good collapsible you're in for about $160-180, a decent multipart can be had for less.

What's your budget and what is your wife going to be fishing for?

I'd actually disagree. I picked up one of these off amazon on a lark and it's now my go-to, cheap-rear end (but solid) collapsable rod for trout and bass fishing. It's held up for three seasons in all weather, and I have more difficulty with respooling line than the rod. It's cheap enough that buying a couple isn't bad, and I like using it as part of a packable ultralight for small/largemouth and trout.

gamera009 fucked around with this message at 17:25 on May 20, 2017