Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Armed Neutrality posted:

A nice fish from last season on an old rod and reel that predates my 38 years by quite a bit. I've literally got hundreds more flyfishing photos...:)

I've got one of those reels :hf:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Light. I did some fishing today. I got really mad because I hooked a log even though I t rigged it and waded out there, saw it was too deep, got in my canoe, unhooked it, and fished from the canoe.

I could see the fish that were attacking my bait and tons of others. None were over 4-5 inches, and I saw A LOT of them. They couldn't physically swallow the hook I'm using so I either have to rerig for minnow fishing or paddle out to where the bigger fish are.

Should I bother practicing on small fish? I can easily get to some rocky bottomed spots with sunken trees, a dam, or bridges which I think I'll have a lot more luck landing 8 inch plus.
One thing about fishing for large bass is that they're territorial and smart enough to see you and then get put off the bait. Largemouths also bite different than most other fish and it can take a good bit of practise before you learn how to get them - they inhale stuff and then spit it back out to get a taste of it, and after that, they'll decide to truly take it into their mouth and then mosey off.

You might look up some videos demonstrating a bass hitting a lure.. It took me quite a while to get a feel for largemouths, because I would originally try to set the hook during the false-strike taste, which literally just pulls the lure away from them and usually will startle them, as well. Sometimes bass won't bother tasting a lure - but that's usually when their being aggressively territorial and see your lure as an interloper rather than an easy meal.. Stuff like frogs, big rattling lures, mice, etc will get hit hard, but smaller and less active stuff like worms they take their time with.

http://www.bassresource.com/fish_biology/ambush_bass.html

Oh also, bass can grab shockingly large prey compared to their size, like half their body length or more, so size of your worm is probably not the issue - unless you've got the hook up at the very front rather tham halfway or more down the length of it. The texas rig won't matter because once a back takes that lure and closes his mouth and moseys off - is when you set it.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Aug 9, 2016

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I switch up whenever the mood strikes me. Sometimes I can fish the same thing for 4-5 hours, sometimes I change out every 20 minutes. It really depends on experience and whatever whim you have, though.

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Well the biggest issue I'm having right now is that I gut hook 1/2 the fish I catch despite using big hooks and worms. Changing from EWG to standard worm hook helped that a lot though.

I don't want to switch to smaller hooks (using 2/0 right now) for top fishing worms because I'm looking for 2 pounds and up.

Edit: I caught, killed, filleted, skinned, and pan roasted a 2 pounder and while delicious, it kinda looked like I was eating kitten.
Well the optimal way to deal with gut-hooks is to clip the line and let the fish keep the hook in its belly where it will rust away quickly. It's survivable if you didn't try to twist it out too much, first.

Gut hooks come a lot from highly aggressive fish like stocker trout and largemouth bass, it just comes with the territory, and a smaller hook is going to be more likely to end up farther down their throat, imho.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Goddamn I wanna go salmon fishing this season but can't justify it with expenses. :(

bongwizzard posted:

God I wish I could backyard fish. The farm I am living on has a pond, but it is so full of tadpoles and stunted bluegills that I cant see that there are any bass in there. But, I have never really given it a good hard try. Might grab some minnows and see what's in there.
I grew up on a 5 acre man-made fishing pond that I hand-stocked, and can tell you from experience: If you can hear small frogs, there are no bass. Bass will clean a pond of frogs within a year or two of being introduced, and the only things left will be bullfrogs and other monsters that are big enough to travel to the pond and hang out there looking to get laid (and thus feed the bass anyway.) Eventually the bullfrogs give up as well, just like the customers at a bar with no ladies night.

This lack of bass can easily be remedied by catching a half dozen bass and transporting them - but I'd only ever even consider this in an entirely man-made pond cut off from the watershed... And even then, it's still irresponsible because once a flood hits those bass can spread and gently caress errybody else up

edit: if you're serious: I would look into stocking panfish at least one year before I added bass, and get a nice healthy population like two dozen so they can fight and starve out and not end up inbred - don't toss any lunkers in there, stick to medium-small. After one or two years, toss in 6-10 bass, and you'll have an amazing pond you can enjoy the poo poo out of really quickly - just keep the willows and crap from growing up on the shores if you have nutria in your area.. If you get a slightly larger than necessary stocker population to begin with, you can risk fishing them and releasing them for fun once in a while before they really build up a population, and not be concerned about the losses from whatever predators, system shock, or gut-hooks might happen. Also talk to the property owners about splitting the use of a dinghy or paddleboat or something, because you'll want it and it's a super nice way to spend an evening sipping daquiris and paddling around a pond in the sunset

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Nov 2, 2016

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Six weight is for trout and stuff. Also jetty rocks can badly scratch your rod and flyrods aren't designed to be put in a holder.

If you're getting small panfish it'll probably be fine but man I'd be constantly terrified of scraping it on the rocks, and I'm concerned about the size of flies you're using with a 6 weight in saltwater - if you clip your flyrod with a heavy metal bead or a good-sized and heavier hookshank, it'll snap eventually at that spot.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
define "fragile".

flyrods have way better tensile strength and can bow a lot more than most other rods because they don't run with a drag however, you also need to know what kind of weight you're running on your rod and line.. And if you chip a modern flyrod it's probably gonna bust in half at that point, eventually.

More conventional rods are usually more durable however, some of the nicer and more flexible ones can, again, just break off if they're set down wrong and get a hard jerk on them that doesn't allow them to have a perfect bow in their arc (a brilliant example of this is laying a rigged rod with your weight and lures in the water and then leaving it lying half-on and half-off of a boat or jetty, and then see what happens when a strong fish grabs your poo poo and takes off -pop! I learned this when a fishing guide did it while we were fishing largemouth bass on table rock lake), but usually they're a lot sturdier and more durable than flyrods.

It largely depends on materials as well - glass with a nick is dead man walking, but bamboo with a gouge is probably fine and can be repaired.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Nov 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

LingcodKilla posted:

I had a guy carve me a vermillion rockfish and lingcod. Love them! I may have him make me a king salmon and halibut next year.
Oh dude, remind me to share a pic of the steelhead carving at my folks' beach house.. My old carpentry teacher is a like world-class carving nut, and he accidentally chipped a bit off the top of the tail of this ridiculous carving of a steelhead rearing back along its own length to snatch at something.. It's like 2' wide by 16" high, and 8" deep, so he basically just handed it off to my dad because it wasn't worth showing or putting his stamp on.

ALso the Northwest Steelhead Junkies and a lot of flyfishing groups on facebook have high-end woodcarving nuts who're always showcasing their projects, it's rad

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Dec 8, 2016