Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Im getting back into fishing at 30 since I lost my way about 10 years ago. I forgot how calming it is. My dad is an avid fisherman and to welcome me back, set my wife and I up with new rods and reels (he is a junkie for flea markets and garage sales and has upwards of 200 rods and reels). I ended up with a beautiful Shakespeare Sturdy Stik medium action rod paired with a classic Zebco 733. My wife got an early 60's Shakespeare Wondercast paired with a Zebco Sportcaster rod. My first day back on the ponds got me this feller:
Sorry for the terrible picture quality. I had to crop myself out of the pic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Good luck! I ordered some Yum Dinger 6 in. and a new box of straight shank worm hooks so I can go live the Texas rig life in Oklahoma ponds.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Hate to double post but threads move at a glacial pace in this seemingly hidden space. I scouted some ponds last week and absolutely hosed my right ring finger on some barbed wire (it was in-between two pieces of property my grandpa owns, all legal, I just didn't want to drive all the way to the gate). It's healing up and I can still cast. Today I'm gonna go check out the freshly stocked pond at a local park. Their regulations are pretty chill so I'm happy to play with my rigs a bit and test out a few things. I've been mostly running the Texas rig and bass fishing but I might set up another rod for my crappie rig; it has two hooks on a swivel and sets just below a bobber so that I may catch two bluegill at a time. It's actually just good if I want bait fish (which I don't use), but the old timers around here will tell you that a bluegill (perch) cooked whole over an open fire is the best tasting fish in Oklahoma. I'll take their word for it. I'm a conservationist for the most part and try to rig my stuff to do the least harm to fish so I can admire them, admonish them, and send them back with a wee piercing, if even that. Happy fishing! I'll be back later this week for what I'm sure will be a triple post about what I managed to catch and what kind of rig I was using.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Yessss. Thank you.