Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 20:48 on May 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

LingcodKilla posted:

Is that bottom a pike minnow?

Also what was the stomach contents?

Yeah, Colorado Pikeminnow. No idea on stomach. Since they're endangered and my study doesn't currently have any focus on diet, we don't lavage them. Measure, weigh, scan for PIT tag, release.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

LingcodKilla posted:

I thought it was a pike minnow but didnt realize the Colorado sub species was in trouble. The broad mouth is kinda unique for a big CA fish. Where is your study out of? I've been a volunteer with Moss Landing research center for over 6 years.

I work in the upper Colorado River basin. Utah and Colorado mainly. The Colorado, Green, Yampa, and White rivers mostly, plus their tribs.

To partially answer your question, that particular fish probably had a red shiners, redside shiners, sand shiners, and white suckers in its gut. That's the primary forage base of the area right now.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

LingcodKilla posted:

Very cool. The big complaint with them in the Sacramento basin is they eat all the juvenile trout, salmon and stripers. Not even considered a game fish out here but they attain decent size.

I'm sure you know that just giving out general info for non-CA.

Yeah, it's kind of interesting that an imperiled ancient group of species like that (given that most ancient species are imperiled in their native range) can be super invasive and properly gently caress up another ecosystem that is geographically very close but still outside their native range. I think it's northern pikeminnow that are the big problem in the PNW. Burbot are in major decline in the upper Green River basin, where they are native, but are invasive in the middle Green.