Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

bongwizzard posted:

The bait-monkey is a bastard for sure.

I have been working 12-16h days for a week or so now, at some point during this time I ordered, from ebay, a finesse casting reel from japan. So now I guess I have to buy a rod for it so that I can do the exact same types of fishing my pair of spinning rigs can already cover. I am dumb as hell I guess.

Haha. I tried wacky rigging my usual 5 inch natural shad weedless style today, got nothing. Said gently caress it, switched to a smaller senko black bait with blue and gold flakes since it's sunny, rigged it regular wacky, and nailed a fish on the second drop.

I have no idea which of those things helped but I think darker bait works better in sunny conditions and lighter bait works in darker conditions? Does that make sense?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

LingcodKilla posted:

More with timing and triggering a feeding response.

Cool. Well I'll play around with wacky rig for a few days. I've got some hooks I need to use up. Also more bait than anyone could reasonably use non-competitively.

Also can you guys recommend a good hook sharpener? Mine blows.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

bongwizzard posted:

I just have a little stone with a groove in it. But I almost never fish jigs or other hard baits that aren't disposable, so I almost never use it.

I did start using fancier (Owner, Troker) hooks and they seem to hold a sharp point for as long as they last before I snag and loose them.

I'm a Gamakatsu guy. Any reason to change?

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Nice catch Fish bro. Straight shank seems like it would let my worm slide down every cast. I wing those fuckers out there, though.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

bongwizzard posted:

I'm the perch master! I caught maybe three dozen this size this morning and another dozen or two smaller ones. Also caught a couple of small Pickrell and had a huge one on until he bent the hook and got off right about side.

Went out with a bunch of other kayakers and the ones who went to the mouth of the river were catching stripers one after the other. The Severn River in Maryland is on fire right now.

I can't get a bite this week. Doesn't matter what I throw out there.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

bongwizzard posted:

Spent two days fishing the Potomac. It was tough going until I hit the last spot of the trip, got this guy and a few other small ones.

I lost one in a sunken tree branch because I'm fishing barbless. I put a torn worm and an old hook and reeled that branch in and threw it away after. Felt kinda badass.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Hey Bong, some guy I met told me about good pike and musky fishing spots. Got any good tips for me?

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

bongwizzard posted:

Also, fish streak continues, got three LBMs today from a pond I have fished hundreds of times. This brings my total in this pond to 5. No idea why I keep coming but today it worked out.

Small:

Medium:

Large:

Well your name is bongwizzard not fishwizzard, I'm not sure why.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

gay picnic defence posted:

I went fishing today!

A nice sunrise to get the day off to a good start:

Couta:

Squid:

Goatfish:

I'd like to be supportive but my body is having a visceral reaction due to jealousy.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

I don't have any proof, and I'm not a doctor, but I'm pretty sure I spent about 45 minutes trying to catch a turtle.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

bongwizzard posted:

Bad pic but he was a monster, shell at least 20" around. I got the hook out of him, but it was rough going. Fish become helpless on land, turtles get stronger.

Yeah this one was huge. I thought a giant log had washed up on shore until the head and shell dipped into the water. He only came up to look after I went inside.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Trip report:. BPS Stik-o's just nailed two bass in 20 minutes with a wacky rig. Seems like they might be legit. Also I don't envision 4 quarters flying off into the distance when I lose one while casting.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

bongwizzard posted:

Very nice. I have also heard good stuff about these stickbaits:
http://www.bizzbaits.com/product/sassy-stick/

I just try to never buy senkos not on sale. Outlet Bait and Tackle will sometimes have them for like half off, the good colors go quickly but I have scored some amazing deals by jumping on like when I get a sale email from them.

Cool I'll check them out!

What do you think about wacky vs texas? Wacky seems to get bit and get hooksets much more easily. It's also solved my gut hooking problem too.

I know people say to use the wacky tool, but I feel like that will mess with the presentation of the bait.

Edit:. Guess you can put two rings on overlapping in an X and use that to keep the same hook presentation. Cool.

Gumbel2Gumbel fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Oct 5, 2016

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

bongwizzard posted:

I have very little wacky experience as I have yet to find a weedless hook I am really happy with. I do have some o-rings that have a small second ring molded on perpendicular to the main ring, so your hook is perpendicular as well. My issue, aside from hook quest, is speed. I am really bad at fishing slowly I can only stand to wacky rig if I am in a really target rich area, like docks or standing trees. I also like to skip them under low tree limbs when kayaking.

I far prefer faster lures and probably fish flukes and Menace grubs like 4:1 vs senkos. I set out last spring to fish them more but could rarely resist swapping out to a fluke or menace after a few dozen fishless casts.

My hooks aren't large enough for the flukes and such I bought because my worm hooks only go to 2/0.

Strangely enough, in my very weedy reservoir the wacky rig has been mostly weedless unless I let it settle all the way. I fish it more like a top water Texas except a touch more slowly. I twitch the rod a little and let it drop a foot or two during the reel in and it's getting nailed left and right.

Also I just hit fish #4 with the Stik-o's since I am home around the house and fishing as a break sporadically. They sure do love this fall weather and cool water.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

bongwizzard posted:

God I wish I could backyard fish. The farm I am living on has a pond, but it is so full of tadpoles and stunted bluegills that I cant see that there are any bass in there. But, I have never really given it a good hard try. Might grab some minnows and see what's in there.

Isn't that prime food? If you own it, you should stock it.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

So I just wacky rigged a fluke and caught a bass on my 3rd cast with it. Seems like a good, durable presentation, no?

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

bongwizzard posted:

I have never tried it. I just t-rig them until the nose gets tore up, then I trim them back and use them for trailers. I love working a fluke, they are my favorite plastic.

If it's working though, go nuts, they are about half the price of senkos.

Gonna give it a shot. BTW, the thicker plastic and less greasy texture on the BPS Stik-o's makes them much more durable than Senkos and they seem to get bit at a comparable rate. I don't know if I'm ever going to go back.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

LingcodKilla posted:

I had a guy carve me a vermillion rockfish and lingcod. Love them! I may have him make me a king salmon and halibut next year.

That's awesome.

Also I found out yesterday I am an idiot and was fishing with braid that was too thick for my reel. I switched from whatever 10lb diameter to 8lb diameter Spiderwire and my casts are going 25 to 30% further with less effort.

I'm easily outdistancing my summer casting while wearing a bulky coat and gloves.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Holy poo poo. Can I catch trout like that with senkos on a spin rod?

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

bongwizzard posted:

It has been too long sense I posted a fish. These are two of the better ones from the last few weeks.

Nice. I have been out of state so no fishing for me. I enjoy seeing what you come up with though!

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

bongwizzard posted:

Here is a tough old bastard I caught today, he had a dead eye and was missing part of his tail fin.

Then I caught his fat wife.

Today was great, these two and like 6-7 more decent fish, all from a tiny tiny pond that is a mile from parking. That mile is loving key as I saw so little evidence of other people fishing there. I did run into another guy who was also there for the first time, we both swore to tell no one.

I caught them on a wacky 4" senko. I am trying to give wacky rigging a solid try and while I like the results, I hate how much I snag and how much poo poo I leave in the water. I have never found a weedless wacky hook that I like, might give circle hooks a try next.

I actually have less snagging problems on twiggy leafy bottoms with wacky than with T-rigs.

Also, I've been fishing larger Senkos, but am I sizing myself out of medium fish by going larger than 4"?

Edit:. Also in my backyard testbed wacky produced way more bites and hook ups

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

What's wrong with a 2 piece?

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

bongwizzard posted:

Completely incorrect, the bass pro shop in Maryland sells ready-made generator boats with huge banks of lights on the front specifically to bow hunt for snakehead at night. There also at least a couple charter captains that do snakeheads specific charters in the tidal Potomac. And as I said before bass are not native to the tidal Potomac, they were introduced at some point in the late 1800s.

All it'll take is one dumb fishing show talking about how badass snake heads are and how fishing them is for real men and you'll have a small but thriving industry. Oh geez I forgot to respond the other day:

I'm all set on plastics, man. I have like 100 floating around. Gotta burn through some of those bad boys before I do anything else. Find a more needy home for 'em! I definitely appreciate the offer though, since I am broke but I'd just feel guilty.

Gumbel2Gumbel fucked around with this message at 23:25 on May 20, 2017

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

bongwizzard posted:

Everything is going to die around here due to runoff and other land-based bullshit. The air breathing snakeheads might be the only thing that survives in the Potomac. Well them and the blue cats. And guys plowing up weed beds is doing more harm than any good that would come from killing a few fish a night. Also they seem to like to shoot loving anything, like say a pile of gar;

Taken at Mattawoman Creek, which is one of the best bass/snakehead fisheries around here. Encouraging bow hunting at night was so loving stupid I don't even know how DNR came up with the idea.

Like, I get want you guys are saying and believe it applies generally, but in the specific fishery around here there has been 15 years of study and thus far no actual harm shown. There were a few years where the population boomed, but now, due to factors that no one seems to be studying (or publishing if is studied), they are pretty rare, with most guys having to make special trips to have a chance of getting one. I have been out on average 2-3 days a week for the last two years fishing dozens of waterways around here and I have seen them a grand total of three times, two of which were in this same 1/8 mile stretch of river.

And if Gumble2Gumble doesn't want them, I have a pile of bass plastics up for grabs, if anyone wants a some packs shoot me a PM and I can mail some out next week. It's all sorts of open packs with a few pieces missing, so not worth trying to sell.

I do but I think they'd make other people much happier. Thank you my friend.

Also yeah I read a ton of articles about snakeheads and all the scary ones were from like 2005, and everything from 2014 onward was people saying "still not a threat! be vigilant though!". They even went out with a scientist whose job was to shock fish and catch them to study snakeheads and he goes days without finding them.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

My friend wants to go fish striped bass off the beach in Jersey. I don't think I need a fishing license in Jersey for non-commercial saltwater, correct? Just freshwater and shellfish?

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Going to the Jersey Shore to catch stripers, if I don't come back avenge my death

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

bongwizzard posted:

Have fun! I love the idea of surf fishing but there is no where really near me to do it.

It was a blast! We drove 2 hours each way. We figured that the worst case scenario was we spent the day on the beach, and it was gorgeous out. It was a hell of a lot of fun, throwing a fish head leader attached to a 4 oz jig with an 11 foot rod is some seriously primordial poo poo. A guy right next to us caught a 39" striper but we got blanked.

Also we got booze and oysters after, which was a great consolation prize.

Gumbel2Gumbel fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Jun 4, 2017

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

a foolish pianist posted:

16"-ish largemouth, taken on a Nissin carp pole. Just tossing out frog poppers, tenkara-style. The thing fought hard, bent the 18' rod right in a circle. I let it run for two or three minutes to tire itself out, make sure it didn't break the tippet when I went to land it.

EDIT: Then a fuckoff huge bluegill just flat swallowed that popper. C'est la vie, I guess.

In your honor: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeKPkGflDB4

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Jesus man, were you fishing with dynamite? That's a hell of a haul

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Frozen Pizza Party posted:

We went up with what the locals suggested to my uncle, mouse tails (Berekley), fake nightcrawlers and chartreuse marshmallows, ended up killing it on rainbow power bait.

They basically swarmed at one of the inlets and hookups were almost instantaneous once we figured out what they were biting on. All of these came in about 45 minutes after we figured where they were and what they were biting on.

We went out to Intake 2 on Sunday and there were some MAJOR toads swimming around, probably 4-5lb planted fish, but they weren't hungry, just taunting the anglers :(

Post more photos! All I can pull out of my pond are LMB so it's interesting to see anything else.

I may get desperate and start going after the little guys in my backyard. If I was going to target little guys like blue gills and other panfish, what should I throw out there?

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

bongwizzard posted:

Trout bait works well, as do tiny plastics on jigheads. I prefer to fish for them with moving lures, like tiny cranks and inline spinners. I do swap the trebles with single hooks and pinch the barbs down. You still catch a ton of fish but you can clearly realse like 99% of them.

The 1% will somehow manage to be a super dink that hits a hook hard enough to drive it through it's own head.

That's excellent, I'll give it a shot. I don't catch too many bass from the shoreline for whatever reason, it seems to be mostly little guys around there. I'd prefer to just load up my light action rod for them

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

It's not a big fish he's just tiny.

Just kidding. What do you use for fishing carp?

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

joem83 posted:

I mean, compared to the monsters that inhabit the San Diego river it was a tiny guy. I caught him on a little treble hook baited with white bread. Going catfishing tonight!

Take more photos, I need inspiration to get out there

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

joem83 posted:

Out there like, on the SD River, or just out there into the great wild world of nature and fishes?

The great wild world.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

bongwizzard posted:

I spent an afternoon watching YouTube videos about carp fishing in England. It was the craziest thing I've ever seen, they were using basically the same equipment as a bass fishermen would but it's such a totally different style and process they barely seem like the same hobby.

Hey man I have a question. I fish on heavy braided line with barbless hooks and from what I've gathered I should just be reeling bass in as fast as I can. Constant pressure seems to keep them from jumping and also shaking the barbless hooks out.

Does that sound right to you? I read that you should only play fish if you're worried about them breaking the line, and my bass are coming out of the water with a ton of fight left in them like this.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Haha, dammit, I already caught 3 bass last night.

Also what Bong says is true. Just reeling straight in these fuckin' fish are coming in with so much fight that they are unhooking themselves when I pull them out of the water. The bank I fish on is sloped and 2 of the fish I got last night kicked themselves off the line when I pulled them out and were able to flip themselves into the pond.

Gumbel2Gumbel fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Aug 7, 2017

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

None of my jitterbugs have ever been attacked by a bass. I've probably only spent an hour to an hour and half fishing them though. What's the best way to use them? Windy days?

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

joem83 posted:

PALOMAR KNOT TIL I DIE

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

joem83 posted:

Where you bros fishing from?

Massachusetts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

A: Massachusetts inland (my backyard connects to a reservoir so I think I fish more days than anyone except Bong.
S: LM Bass. I catch about 1 every half an hour now if I average it out. Last night I caught 3 in 15 minutes. They are the only fish I have caught except for some whatever fish when I was like 3.
Lure:. 5" Senkos or BPS Stik-o's. Senkos subjectively get more bites on Texas rig, but Wacky they get bit only a little more. I have had every color I've thrown out there land a fish but the best colors are pumpkinseed with black and green flake, watermelon laminate, natural shad, black with blue flake, in that order.

I prefer Trokar hooks with the Barb taken out. If you're fishing worms just use the round bend! EWG does not get as many clean hookups.

Gamakatsu are a good second option since they're sharper than Lazer hooks, and Owner Wacky Hooks are super durable and seem to attract fish on their own.