Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves
First trout I ever caught, on the first fly I ever tied. That was a neat day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves
Here's some red kebari and a couple red Stewart Spiders I rolled up this evening. Hooks range from 12-18's. Gonna hit the local tailwater in the morning.

I've only been tying flies for a week or two now, and I really enjoy it. :haw:

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves
Here's some pics from my dad's old farm pond. My dad and uncle built this pond, and stocked it for years. At it's peak, it had 8-10lb largemouth and dinner plate sized crappie. Then our Fish & Wildlife department, in it's infinite wisdom, decided to restock otters to the nearby CoE lake. They wandered the mile or so to dad's farm and cleaned us the gently caress out. :smith:

View of the pond from the top of the dam.

Good friend of mine and one of the bigger bass he'd caught. This was a couple years before it was at it's best.

Fairly typical hybrid bluegill and black crappie.

Best bass I ever caught out of it. A little over 5.5 lbs, mostly because it was a greedy, greedy pig of a bass.

Look how big the belly on it was.

It's so fat because it's full of bass! :haw:

More bluegill.

This was from the last summer before the Ottering. We weren't fishing for crappie, and it's the middle of summer. I had taken a buddy and his little boy out there fishing, and my buddy's son hooked into the biggest crappie in the basket with a nightcrawler and bobber. He ended up catching two of the ones here.

He sold the farm last year. Goddamn, I miss that pond.

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves

Levitate posted:

yup, that's what I'm going for.

We used to always bring fishing rods when we went backpacking when I was a kid (I'd mainly use spinners and a bubble and fly setup because apparently my dad was too lazy to teach me to fly fish :argh: ) and I kind of want to do that again. Gives you something to kind of relax and do at the end of the day as well

I just got into tenkara fishing this past month. I wanted to try fly fishing for a while, but nobody I know fly fishes, and it's a lot of intimidating poo poo to try and figure out what you need to get started. With tenkara, it was pretty simple, and it's easy and fun. I've picked up a couple rods now, including this tiny little fucker. It's a Tenkara Rod Co Mini-Sawtooth. It's a 9' pole that collapses down to less than about 10" or so. Weighs a little more than an ounce. They've got a 12' version as well, but I wanted a shorter rod to use in brushy creeky spots.

Here's my hiking/camping fishing setup right now.

Everything packs into the Zimmerbuilt Strap pack, and I clip it on my belt loop or pack. If I'm taking my full-sized rod, I just clip the whole pack to a shoulder strap I put on my rod case.

bradzilla posted:

why did you take a picture of this horrifying monster :stonk:

Because it's awesome. I'd never caught a fish that had just caught a fish. :colbert:

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves

Levitate posted:

I think I'm looking for a 12' rod since I'm aiming to be doing lake fishing and alpine streams where trees and brush aren't really a big concern.

I think I generally understand how traditional fly fishing works but I never got much of a chance or inclination to learn

e: what is that, a plastic rod case, rod, two furled or level lines, tippet line, flies, tools for releasing fish etc, stuff to carry it?

It's the carbon fiber tube the rod came in, attached to my small bag. The rod itself is collapsed at the bottom. One spool of 5x tippet, a 11' furled taper line, a 13' Tenkara Rod Co Crossbreed level/taper combo line, hemostats and scissors, tape measure, and fly box.

bongwizzard posted:

God damm gently caress those otters man. That pond looked amazing. I rent a place on a farm currently and we have a tiny lovely little pond. I kinda want to get it stocked now.

Seriously. They loving sucked. Start stocking, man. All we did was throw in about 25-50lbs of mixed minnows every spring for about 3-4 years. By that time, the last 2 stockings or so were just feeder fish for the established populations and they got biiiiiiig. Once they'd been spawning a year or two, we didn't stock any more.

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves

Levitate posted:

just bought a 12 foot tenkara rod, looking forward to playing with it

guess I should read up on flies a bit

Sweet! Get yourself a $38 vise and tool kit, some thread and some hackle feathers, and the book Simple Flies. If you really want to learn about Tenkara fishing and techniques, get this book. He's got some basic fly patterns in there, too, I think. Realistically, learn to make a kebari you like and a killer bug pattern, and you've got all you need for drat near anything, just vary the size and colors.

Sparkle Bugs!

Found some nifty embroidery thread at Walmart. Gonna play with this stuff for a while. It should strip down and make nice flash.

Here's my first fish of the year. Little rainbow stocker from the tailwater. Caught him on a blue kebari and my Tenkara Rod Co Teton rod.

Here's my blue kebari.

Dr Ozziemandius fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jan 4, 2016

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves

perabyte posted:

Here's a few Salmon on the fly last year in Kodiak.

Kill it! Kill it with fire! And lemon pepper and maybe a little rosemary! :supaburn:

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves

perabyte posted:

I put the sockeye back, and let it die naturally. Besides, once they turn red like that it means they've been in fresh water too long and the meat is spoiled. I did however come back to 50lbs of silver salmon. Which I cooked all different ways.

I had no idea they got all gross and inedible before they died. My salmon comes from the store, unfortunately.

Armed Neutrality posted:

Alpine brookie after release. :)

That's a pretty trout, right there.

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves
Not a chub, but maybe a shiner? I guess? Anyway, you can have a ton of fun with tiny fish on a really light rod. This one was on a Suntech Kurenai HM30R, which weighs a little under an ounce, line and all.

It's a ton of fun with bluegill and trout, too. Panfish will make it sing.

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves

canpakes posted:

Fish goons... here is what I believe to be a calico bass that I caught the other day.

If you're looking for a GBS "spin" on fishing, check out the epic summer fishing thread in GBS. Cast off blast off! Happy casting!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3823377&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Mmmmm, crappie, the tastiest of all fish.

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves
Kentucky!

Trout, panfish, bass, shiners.

I've gotten into tenkara the last year or so, and love the poo poo out of it. Right now I've got a Suntech Kurenai HM30r, Kurenai HM33r, Nissin Zerosum 400 6:4, Daiiwa Kiyose 36SF, Tanuki 275 Appalachian Brookie, Tanuki 375, Tanuki 425, and a Nissin Air Stage Hakubai 390, and a Badger WISCO2. The Kurenai's and the Zerosum are my favorites.

I had a Tenryu TF39TA, but it really wasn't super suited to the kind of fishing I do, so I traded it for the Tanuki 425 and the Zerosum.

How do you like that Kurenai long? I've got an HM30 and a HM33, been wanting either a 39 or one of the longs.

Enigma posted:

a foolish pianist, I would love to know more about getting into fixed-line fly, including things like budget. I am planning a trip to North Carolina and want to do a little trout fishing, which I have never really done before. Those look like rods that travel really well, which is great because I'd pay more in baggage fees than my rods are worth just to bring any of my own gear.

Also take a look at Badger Tenkara for some really nice rods on the cheaper end. They cast well, are pretty tough, and have a warranty against breakage. Most of my rods have come from https://www.tenkarabum.com.

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves

a foolish pianist posted:

I've only taken it out twice, but I really like it. It's just preposterously light for 20' rod. It casts level line nicely, and it's not so stiff that a smaller bass or panfish won't put a nice bend in it.

Are the Tanuki rods as nice as they look? I've been tempted, but I feel like I already have enough rods for a while.

Motherfucker. Had a huge post about it written up and stupid phone posting lost it when I went to get some pic links. Goddammit.

I really like the Tanuki rods. They're sensitive, light, and have a lot of backbone in the lower sections. I've caught 16" trout in fast water on the tiny little 275, and had no problem detecting tiny little fingerlings on the 425. They're very well designed and crafted rods, balanced well and designed so that you don't overpower small fish, but have increasing strength as the rod flexes to handle big fish easily and smoothly.

I think for the money, a Zerosum 7:3 would be a better value, but not by much. At any given length, I think the Tanuki would handle bigger fish, but the Zerosum is just an amazing rod.

Here's one of the little guys I caught on the 425 this weekend.

And my first brookie!

I think the biggest difference in tenkara and cane poles is the ability to cast smoothly and accurately with light flies. Cane poles just kinda flop a line out

Dr Ozziemandius fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Aug 8, 2017

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves

That's a hell of a collection. Why didn't the Tenryu work out? I've just read about those, but they look beautiful.

Thanks! It's a much cheaper hobby than guns, so the wife's okay with it.

It was a really nice rod, and cast beautifully with unweighted flies. Unfortunately, most of the fishing I do is with weighted nymphs or bead head soft hackles/kebari. It was just too soft for effective nymphing. When you tried to set a hook under several feet of water, it just didn't have the stiffness to set quick. It's honestly a very strong rod, but it flexes to drat near the handle. If you're fishing a lot of real tenkara water, high mountain/plunge pool type water where the current is pulling your flies down instead of weight, then it's just fantastic. Almost no rebound, balanced perfectly at all 3 lengths, and beautiful. It just wasn't suited to 90% of the fishing I do.

My next rod will likely be the slightly stiffer Zerosum 360 7:3. It'll handle a bit wider range of fly weights than the 6:4, but it's not nearly as stiff as most 7:3 rods out there. That or a TenBum 36.

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves

bongwizzard posted:

Im on my phone so an effortpost will have to wait. Basically, there is a style of fishing/tackle called Bait Finesse System or BFS. It is a Japanese thing that started coming over here maybe 5-10 years ago. It involves taking special casting reels designed (and back then, heavily modded) to throw small lures and pairing them with L and UL power casting rods. The idea being to get the greater accuracy of casting gear married to a spinning reel's low weight casting ability.

These days it is way more accessible, a result of it becoming more popular, casting reel tech getting better, and the Yen being weak. Right now you can find a used BFS reel on ebay for like $100-140, add like $50-70 more in aftermarket parts, slap it on a $50 UL trout rod from Aliexpress, and throw 1/16oz spinners to your hearts content. Well, i can throw 1/8oz ones on mine, my thumb isnt up for 1/16oz yet.

I got deep into BFS stuff and have two bass combos and one trout one with an eye to "just one more", to be a dedicated saltwater combo. It is fun as poo poo if you like fussing with stuff.

Chris Stewart, aka Tenkara Bum, now has a Japanese Domestic Market online shop selling super badass ultra light and ultra ultra light BFS/caster/spinning reel setups. I got my dad a Daisha Iprimi setup for his birthday, but he's not fished with it yet. https://www.finesse-fishing.com

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves

Picked up a Zimmerbuilt tenkara guide sling, and I quite like it. I've been using an Vedavoo sling for a year or so, and it's been nice, but it doesn't have a good way to keep extra rods. The Zimmerbuilt has the outside pocket and stretchy keepers for four rods - I've got three (two tenkararodco rods and suntech kurenai) loaded up in the photo.

I also tried it out with some of my longer collapsed rods - the nissin kyogi and kurenai long, both about 4' collapsed, and they feel pretty secure, but they jut up high enough that any brushy hiking would be a pain. I'll actually try it out when we get some green here in May.

It's a left-shoulder sling, which is nice. I never understood why so many of the flyfishing slings out there sit on the right shoulder. Sliding it around presents the long zippers of the two pockets, a smaller one for fly boxes, lines, etc. and a larger one big enough for a spare jacket and a lunch bag.

I'm also considering another rod, probably the Daiwa Expert LT H44:

http://www.tenkarabum.com/daiwa-expert-tenkara.html

I do a lot of fixed line bass fishing, and I love those Daiwa floating tenkara lines, so it seems a great fit. Anyone here have experience with these rods, or the lighter LL models?

EDIT: ordered it from tenkarabum. I guess we'll see.

I’ve got the Sling Lite, and I really like it, but I wish I’d gone for the full sized Guide Sling in retrospect. I ordered one of Zimmerbuilt’s rod quivers that should be here today.

That Daiwa rod looks like a champ. I’ve done well with largemouth on a Wisco II and long line with Muddy Buddies and large yarn bodied kebari (TenBum’s Keeper Kebari pattern).

I got to spend a little time on the spillway yesterday, throwing micro-spoons on my Riverworks ZX2, picked up a couple small stockers on a super windy day.

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves

I'm on a pack-buying spree, apparently. Here's a Yonah minimalist tenkara pack, with a flybox, two lines, a spool of 5x tippet, and my Daiwa Expert LT H44.

How do you like that pack? I saw them on a Facebook group recently and wondered about them. Look like it’s really well designed.

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves

Jorge Von Bacon posted:

I'd like to get into fishing while hiking/camping. I live in NYC, but we do a lot of hiking outside of the city. Looking at tenkara for the portability of it. I have basic fishing knowledge, but never fly fishing.

Was considering one of the starting tenkara kits on tenkara bum, but not sure if it's more worthwhile to get something cheaper to ease into it, or go a different direction altogether.

Would also appreciate any good resources for fishing in New York/the northeast if anyone has some handy!

Go with one of TenBum’s kits if you can, he sells great rods. The difference in a good quality rod and something like one of the $10 Amazon/Alibaba rods is significant. Also, take a look at Dragontail Tenkara, Badger Tenkara, Three Rivers Tenkara, or Tenkara Tanuki. All make great rods and are pretty reasonable.

What kind of water will you be fishing, like little thin blue lines for smallish brookies and browns, ponds for bluegill/bass, or bigger water? We can give you some specific rod advice if we know what kind of fishing you’re going to be doing.

Picking up a $30 fly tying vise kit from Cabelas or somewhere is a good investment too. Grab a nice cheap $5 India hen cape or two and a couple spools of thread and hooks and you have flies for miles.

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves

Jorge Von Bacon posted:

Thank you both!

I hadn't really given much thought to type of fish - the tenkara interest was mostly because of how portable it looks and we often end up hiking along smaller streams to little lakes or ponds so thought it would be a good fit for an easy cast in.

Ultimate goal would be to be able to catch stuff when camping to eat every once in a while, but as a start just to start playing around and catching whatever I can

Was thinking about the small stream kit (http://www.tenkarabum.com/small-stream-tenkara-starter-kit.html) just to start with something well made for the type of really small waters and pond sides we'd most likely be hitting.

That small stream kit is a great rod. If you’re going to be mostly small streams then it’d be all you need. Something longer would be a help on ponds, tho. The TenBum Traveller 39 or 44 might be a good compromise for you, as they’re both zoom rods that fish at different lengths. The 39 goes down to 3.2m, which is doable in most areas, unless you have a lot of tight cover overhead like thick brush or whatever.

FWIW, the Traveller 44 is probably going to be my next rod.

Edit: since you’re in New York anyway, try hitting Chris Stewart up at TenBum. He’s in NYC, I believe, and may be familiar with the areas you’re going to fish and he could give you some more specific kit advice.

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves

bongwizzard posted:

Yea, he is super nice and seems really really into fish-chat. He also runs a site called finessefishing.com that sells UL baitcasting and spinning tackle.

I bought my dad one of the Daiwa Iprimi ultralight setups for his birthday last August. Like 4# max. It’s a gorgeous rod and reel, but I don’t think he’s taken it fishing yet. I’m gonna hafta borrow it off of him and take it for a test drive. I got him a bunch of fancy mini-spoons and some of the Japanese rubber worm/nymph baits too.

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves
I’ve recently started getting into keiryu fishing, which is a type of Japanese fixed-line bait fishing. Basically it’s using small live bait with what essentially amounts to a longer, stiffer tenkara rod. Traditionally, keiryu anglers would use small dip nets to strain some nymphs/bugs from the water they’re fishing, or flip rocks for stonefly nymphs, but since this is illegal in some states, a lot of people in the US either use bait crickets or red wigglers. I started a small red wiggler worm farm to supply my bait.

Just picked up a Kurenai Long 61 to use for crappie fishing, using both flies and baits. It’s big enough to throw live minnows as well as worms, so I’m gonna try both.

Would anyone be interested in a write up on keiryu fishing and the how-to for the worm farm?

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves
Alrighty then! I’m phone posting from work, but I’ll write something up this evening when I have computer access.

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves

bongwizzard posted:

I think this is going to be the year I get into micro fishing. There so many tiny streams and tributaries everywhere that I hike I find it hard to resist wanting to fish each and everyone of them.

What’s a good rod/kit to start with? My areas are generally pretty overgrown so a rod around six footer under seems like the best place to start, as I think I’ll be dipping more than casting a lot of the time.

TenBum has a whole section on micro fishing. Check out his website, the Shimotsuke Kiyotaki is pretty popular for micro's in the 170 length, and is only $70. I use my Suntech Kurenai HM30R for micros, it's a bit longer, but I haven't had any problems using it. If it's too brushy for a 3m rod, I just collapse the bottom section or hold the rod from the first section past the handle. It's a much more expensive rod, but they're wonderfully light and well balanced, and will handle much larger fish than you would expect. Catching bluegill on a rod that weighs less than an ounce is amazingly fun. He also sells some super-handy pre-rigged micro line kits that have the incredibly tiny hooks already snelled on, with line markers and a tiny wooden bobber already ready to go. Just attach it to your lillian and go fish.

On that note, one of the things recommended for micro bait is small rings cut out of a red wiggler. Since that makes such a nice segue, here's my red wiggler worm farm write up.

This is the original post by Les Albjerg on TenBum's page. Normal worm farming is pretty smelly and dirty, the whole point in the Park Avenue worm farm is to keep it small and essentially stink free. Using a 1.3gal steel kitchen compost pail from Amazon that has a carbon filter in the lid keeps everything compact, portable, and stinkless. This lets you set it up in an apartment or house and keep them inside somewhere out of the way without making your home smell like a bait shop.

Red wigglers are like tiny nightcrawlers; they're smaller and much more active than nightcrawlers in general. They're also considered to be prime composting/farming worms, and apparently their castings make fantastic fertilizer. I have a second worm farm going in a bucket that I'm going to transfer to a big Rubbermaid tote when I get the chance, and those are going to be for some raised beds this spring, if the weather ever calms down enough to get the boxes started.

Materials: total cost to get started was about $60, worms included. You can knock this down significantly if you use a regular old bucket, but then you're back to having to deal with funky worm smell.

Kitchen compost bin. You'll want one with the activated charcoal filter at the top if you want to keep it inside the house, otherwise it's pretty wormy smelling. It also helps keep the soil from drying out too fast.

Red wigglers. For this size farm, you only need about 200-250 worms to start with. This setup will hold a stable population of around 500 worms or so, more in bigger containers. Prices vary on these, and may be available from local organic farming/composting supply shops.

Miracle Gro Moisture Control potting soil. Apparently, it needs to be this specific soil. The soil contains edible bits for the worms, and the moisture control properties keep it from drying out as quickly, and gives you some extra buffer for over/underwatering later on. Much cheaper at a local Walmart or Lowe's, btw.

Cricket food. For weekly feedings and optimum wormy health. You're only going to use a light dusting once a week, so a can like this should last about 6-8 months. If you're raising them for gardening only, you can get worm food specifically for red wigglers, but those are intended to maximize black cast production for fertilizer, not necessarily breeding more worms or bigger worms.

Corn meal. Adding a little corn meal every week or two will promote reproduction and fat worms. You're supposed to use about a teaspoon, I probably use less to err on the side of caution. Too much, and the leftovers will ferment and ruin your soil with fungi and funk.

Spray bottle for watering. Not really necessary, but it makes adding water a lot easier.

1" cardboard squares. Like, a couple dozen. They provide supplemental nutrition and also nesting material. I just cut up a flap from a cardboard box or whatever.

Getting Started

Wash and dry your compost pail, then add cardboard to the bottom and then soil to about 1/3 the depth of the pail. You're going to add a little soil every time you fluff/feed/water your worms, so you need room to add, plus room to mix it in there without spilling everywhere. Add water as you mix your soil, you want it moist, but not wet. It should feel damp to the touch, but if you squeeze a handful, you shouldn't get more than a drop or two of water out of it. Too wet is worse than too dry, so err on the side of caution. Another tip was to set up your soil and bedding a few days before you add worms, that way you can adjust the amount of moisture if you need to. Once it's had a couple days to stabilize, add your worms. Just dump 'em on top, they'll be fine. I forgot to take a pic at this point, so you'll just have to use your imagination. If they're in a big wad, leave 'em that way, they're having a worm orgy. Maybe put on some Marvin Gaye, or some mood lighting. Help 'em out, they're doing it for your benefit.

When you first add them, they'll want to stay on the top or pretty shallow if you leave them in the dark. Leave the top off for a while in a well-lit room and they'll head deeper into the soil to find the bedding at the bottom. Once they're all off the top, go ahead and cover it.

Once a week, you're going to fluff up your soil, add water if needed, and feed the little guys. Just use your hands is easiest, it only takes a minute. Fluffing the soil lets you check for dry or wet spots, as well giving you an idea of how your worms are doing. When you're stirring it up, try to get all the way to the cardboard at the bottom, but don't bring it up with you. Just leave it at the bottom. Supposedly, they'll lay eggs in it, but I've found egg cases throughout the bucket, so whatev's. Once you're done fluffing, smooth the top out a bit, and you're ready to feed 'em.

This is what the soil looked like after a week of worms burrowing, eating, and loving in it. Go ahead and add a half inch or so of fresh soil when you mix, it add more edible material to the mix and gives you some leeway on feeding. If you miss a week of mixing/feeding, no big whoop, they should be fine.

This is after mixing and adding soil/water. I usually only need to add maybe 5-10 sprays of water each week. Note the round yellowish ball looking things; those are egg sacs. They're kinda hard little shells, and they have up to a dozen or so babies in each. They started appearing within just a few days of adding the worms, these guys don't mess around.

Now that we're at the 1 week point, it's time to feed some worms. You're going to sprinkle enough cricket feed on top to lightly cover the surface. Ideally, it should take the worms no more than a day or two to eat it all, much more and you risk it spoiling/molding from the damp

This amount took them 2 days to eat at this point, so I was a little heavy, but not enough to worry about. Later on, roughly this same amount is gone overnight, so they're good now.

After 2-3 weeks, your population should be steady, and now you add a little corn meal to your feedings. The article says 1 tsp every week or two, but if you use too much, it will ferment and poison the soil, so again, err on the side of caution. I use just a pinch or two.

You know you're in business when you start finding these guys while fluffing the soil.

About 2-3 times a year, you'll need to do a total soil replacement. I've only been at it for about a month, so I haven't done this part yet. I'll most likely just dig out a couple good handfuls of worms, then throw the rest of the soil in the garden beds. At that point, it should be mostly worm poo, so it should be fantastic for your plants.

There ya go, a worm ranch suitable for a Park Avenue apartment. When I go fishing, I usually just grab a handful of soil and worms, dump most of the soil back in the pot, then put a small amount with the worms into a pocket sized can. I use a can that one of my tenkara lines came in, it's basically a tin a little thicker than a Skoal can, with a clear plastic top. It's handy, works well, and was free. If you wanna get fancy, there's pretty cool turned wood bait cans available from TenBum.

Mr Albjerg also posted an article on scouring worms for bait. Basically, it's an old technique for toughening up worms you're going to fish with; it also makes them much more active in the water. You're essentially going to starve, dehydrate, and clean them. To do this, you take your wad of worms, wash the soil off, then place them in a clean container with clean moss. Either find some outside, but pick all the sticks/twigs/dirt/bugs out of it, or go the easy route and order some terrarium moss. Leave the worms in the moss bedding for about 2-3 days. They'll start to get more active and get a darker, redder color as they scour. They'll become much more translucent as they finally poo poo out all their worm poo as well (look closely at the pic of the baby worm and you can see the individual balls of soil in it's gut). I haven't tried this yet, but Mr Albjerg tried it out, and found that scoured worms lived about twice as long on the hook, and were much more active on the hook as well.

Oh yeah, when fishing with these guys, some people recommend threading the hook down the length of the body, and TenBum actually sells a little tool that makes this really easy. It's essentially a retractable blunt-tipped large caliber hypodermic needle. You thread the needle through the length of the worm, then hook the tip of your hook in the hole in the needle, then just slide the worm off onto the hook. This leaves only a tiny bit of the point exposed, and is supposed to make the worm stay on your hook better if you're casting with a light line instead of basically plunking them in the water under your rod like you would with true keiryu fishing. Mr Albjerg recommends hooking them differently, by only going through the worm once, just behind the clitellum (the band looking spot where most of the worm's organs are). He claims this makes them live longer, but they are easy to cast off the hook this way. Scouring them is going to make them tougher, and they should hold up to casting a lot easier this way.

I'll write up the post on keiryu fishing in a little bit.

Dr Ozziemandius fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Apr 8, 2018

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves

Speaking of keiryu fishing, I had to empty the back of my station wagon yesterday to transport my bike. These were all back there:

7 rods: two tenkararodco tenkara rods, a daiwa expert, 2 kurenai (one 6 meter, one 3 meter), a Nissin Kyogi carp rod, and a pole and line Rudow 8.5 meter honryu rod.

Still in the back are a tanago microfishing rod and a Korean gyeonji rod.

I think I got a problem guys.

That's a nice rod collection you got going there. I just sold 3 rods this last week to fund my Kurenai Long 61 and a Daiwa Keiryu-X 45.

How do you like the gyeonji rod? I haven't tried that yet, but it looks really interesting. Do you cast with it, or do the weird downstream/drifting thing the dude in that one Korean gyeonji video uses?

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves

bongwizzard posted:

I am starting to feel like micro-fishing is a rabbit hole I might not want to head into.

I have so far this year bought....four rods and 1 reel? No, five rods. I am getting close to “done” though, other then a crank rod I have every base covered for both bank and kayak rods. I am most of the way there for perch/panfish, with maybe just a longer UL spinning rod for when it is too windy to use my bfs inline spinner combo.

At some point I am gonna sell a bunch of poo poo off if I can summon the willpower to do it.

Eh, the extra stuff is nice, but you can get by with some really light line, a short rod, and some size 20 or smaller fly hooks. Just use small pieces of cooked rice or little tiny balls of power bait putty works good too. Use the lightest rod you have, and tie some short bits of yarn to your line and trim the ends down to about 1/4”. Use at least 3, 4 is better. These act as strike indicators since you won’t feel takes. Drop the line in front of some teeny fish and watch for the line to move sideways a little. Try it out and see if you like it first.

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves

gamera009 posted:

I’ve been snooping TenBum trying to figure out a good collapsible rod that is compact enough for bike/pack fishing but burly enough to handle 5x and larger trout (16-20”).

Been tough. Most packable compacts don’t like much bigger than 6x.

Daiwa Keiryu-X rods. They’re tough enough to handle bass, and go to 5x tippet. Not super expensive, high quality rods, and they pack down to about 14” regardless of extended length. Alternatively, the TenBum Traveller rods, he’s got them from 2.4m out to some adjustable length rods at 33/36/39 or 39/40/44 lengths. They’re a bit pricier, like $225 or so for the longer ones.

One of the advantages of tenkara-type rods is that the long length and flexibility will protect a light tippet, and let you handle fish above the normal breaking weight of the tippet. He’s got pics of a 26” brown caught on a Keiryu-X with 6x tippet, so it can be done.

TenkaraBum Traveller

Keiryu-X

Dr Ozziemandius fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Apr 9, 2018

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

Thank you for this! Any reason why this wouldn't work for nightcrawlers in a 5 gallon bucket? I'm going to keep it in a shady corner on my patio, so the stink factor is less of a concern. Regardless, this is a really cool project that I want to try at home.

None that I know of? A buddy of mine had good success with nightcrawlers using a big old cooler, with feeding them newspaper and coffee grounds and scraps from his kitchen. Nightcrawlers will live on about anything organic, I think.

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves
Finally got into some trout this past weekend. I was playing around with some peacock neck feathers while tying flies, and made a killer nymph pattern. I caught over 60 fish in 3 sessions over the weekend on them. Saturday evening, I got 28 trout to hand out of one hole in about 45 minutes at the local spillway. :haw:

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves

CHUCK WAS TAKEN posted:

Sick!

The amateur entomologist in me wants to believe that you found a population of trout that were keyed in on Baetis nymphs in a particular size which your pattern was doing a really great job at imitating, but the experienced fly fisherman in me feels like you prolly found a bunch of stupid rear end fish that liked the red thread and brass bead you were shoving in their faces.

Yeah, they were tailwater stockers, so I’m betting stupid fish. I actually have a 0.4g micro spoon in “pellet brown” that works good out there, too

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves
My dad bought us both cheap baitcasting setups this week for my birthday. I’ve never set up or used one before. What kind of line should I run on this thing? Any tips on learning how to set them up correctly? I know that I’m just gonna have to accept that I’m gonna knot the gently caress out of the line and respool a lot until I get it down.

Quantum Octane baitcasting combo

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves
Since we’re into fly tying chat, here’s something I’ve been working on lately.

I’ve been using my Peak rotary vise for a couple years now, and decided I wanted to upgrade the base. Bought a slab of cherry off eBay, and went at it. Borrowed dads drill press to drill out a 3/8” hole to mount the mast, then decided to make a fancy tool holder out of an old antler shed I found a couple years back. It’s still a work in progress, started routering out a waste catcher and some bins for hooks and whatnot this week. Got to finish them, then I’m going to put some spindles down the back to hold thread spools. Pretty happy with it so far.

Wanted to raise the vise some, so I got a brass riser in yesterday, but I haven’t updated my pics yet, waiting to finish the router work and tidy it up before I take more pics.

Also made this nifty bobbin threader from one of the antler tips and some titanium leader wire.

I bought one of these cool wooden chests on a Black Friday sale a couple years ago. Between it and a cheap wood toolbox my dad gifted me, all my stuff is pretty well contained and portable.

I’m big on yarn body flies, especially for nymphs and wet flies. If you haven’t tried it, Jamieson’s Shetland Spindrift is freakin’ amazing material. Lots of color variation in the threads, very buggy and organic looking when it’s wet, and gets a very nice translucency in the water, especially in the lighter colors. Oyster, Sunglow, Autumn, and Purple Haze are my favorites. Supposedly the Sand color, when combined with some tan Coptic marker is the closest you can get to original legendary Chadwick’s 477 for making authentic Sawyer Killer Bugs.

Pro tip: keep some cedar blocks or strips in your feather/fur/hackle storage to keep mites away.

If we get a fly tying/tackle craft thread going, would anyone be interested in a material exchange or traveling fly box?

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves

I've never tied a fly in my life and I'm jealous as all gently caress. I want to incorporate functional antlers into my workshop!

Thanks! Spent some time destroying the whole thing with a router yesterday. I’m really not good at routering, apparently. I think I can fix it all with some tedious carving knife and Dremel work, though.

CHUCK WAS TAKEN posted:

That's a super classy set up, and the antler is dope.

Kazak_Hstan posted:

That is a super cool fly tying setup.

:tipshat:

Dangerllama posted:

I dig the scotch(?) box to keep your feathers and other long materials in. Definitely stealing that idea.

Zacapa rum, in this case. It works really well, and I keep my flash in there by tucking the end of the zip tie down in the can with the flash on the outside. Handy as a pocket on a shirt.

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves

CHUCK WAS TAKEN posted:

Also, I meant to say that while I don't know exactly what either of those things are, yes.

Materials exchange is just people sending samples of different tying materials you’ve got. Feathers, fur, yarn, what have you. I think usually everybody sends stuff to the flymaster, who then divvys it all up and sends them back out. I’ve yet to participate in one, just missed out on the last two that any of the groups I follow had done.

The traveling fly boxes are fun. I’ve been participating in one through the Appalachian Tenkara Anglers Facebook group that’s been going around for 2-3 years now. Someone starts it off with a box full of flies they tied, and everyone signs up on a group list. Send the box to next person on the list, you take 5 flies and add 6 that you tied, then send it on. The ATA group is now up to like 4 or 5 boxes floating around at any one time. Neat way to pick up some new patterns and try out stuff you haven’t tied before. Address info is handled by the organizer, who messages you when the box is coming your way, and gives you the next address to send it on to when you’re done with it. When it hits the point that there’s a ton of flies, somebody breaks it into two boxes and sends them on. Some of the more proficient tyers (tiers? Tie-ers? Whatever you call people that tie flies) will attach theirs to a business card or a note with their name so you know what comes from where. We also usually post a pic of the flies we take and the ones we add, so you get some idea of where your flies are going.

If there’s some interest, I’ll start a thread and act as flymaster to start with.

Hooplah posted:

Cheers on the zacapa 23. I'm having a finger of that right now myself. It's real tasty.

It’s freakin’ tasty stuff. Looking forward to coming off call tomorrow so I can enjoy some myself

Dr Ozziemandius fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Oct 21, 2018

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves
Getting a little closer to done with the tying bench. I discovered that I’m not nearly as good at free-handing a router as I thought I would be. Switched to some old fashioned gouges to rough everything in. Waiting on some other sizes to come in this week to finish it down smoother.

Goddamn, that’s some awful routering. Got to fix this pronto.

There, that’s better. Much harder to carve a smooth bowl than you’d imagine. My wife was suitably unimpressed.

I’ll try and get a thread up this week or this weekend for a traveling fly box and material exchange, if there’s still interest.

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves

Welp, I was going to go back to the coast for more razor clams and redtails this weekend, but this week there have been a series of windstorms, a loving tornado elsewhere on the peninsula, and a king tide. Looks like I'm staying closer to home.

Anybody doing any holiday fishing? Given any presents to yourself?

I’m hoping to get out some, but we’ve got 1.5” of rain predicted in the next 36 hours, so I’m figuring everything’s gonna be blown out all weekend. I did order myself a bunch of new fly tying materials, and my wife bought me a Zerosum 450 7:3 for christmas, so I may go cast at high water for a while when it dries up. Otherwise, it’s family stuff and tying flies for me all weekend.

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves

Dangerllama posted:

Fly pewps. What do you do with your leftover materials that are still useful enough to tie some flies? I have about a dozen biots, 6” of lead-free wire, 8” of brassie wire, some thin-skin, and a coupla hen feathers sitting here.

Tied a handful of copper john’s tonight. Much less complicated than I thought they’d be. With the exception of the goose biots, which are super annoying to handle and tie in on smaller sizes. Here's a #16.

I throw 'em in a little bowl I keep by my tying stuff to eventually get to later.

Anybody still interested in doing a fly tying thread/traveling fly box? I kinda got busy with work the past couple months and it slipped my mind.

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves

gamera009 posted:

I’d be down but out here all I really need are Adams/PMDs, p-tails and zebra midges - although hippie stompers are a good dry/indicator fly. :iiam:

Half the fun of fly swaps is getting stuff you don’t usually fish. I have some time off this week, I’ll get a post up on Tuesday sometime and get this started.

Dangerllama posted:

You just saw the results of my efforts so if that’s good enough, I’m down for a traveling fly/material box.

Funny, I’m thinking about switching from hippie stompers to high-vis beetles. I love the look of/name of the hippie stompers. Super buggy, and fun to fish. I’m told beetles are just quicker to tie, float well, and put just as many fish in the net in the high country. :ssh:

If we do a box, I’ll have to tie and throw a bunch in for science.

My arsenal these days is mostly zebra midges, top secret midges, miscellaneous midges, even more midges, rainbow warriors, PT’s, frenchies, hare’s ears, copper john’s, buckskin’s, two-bit hookers, griffith’s gnats, Adams, PMD’s, elk-hair caddis, and mole flies. So expect a bunch of those.

Your fly looks great to me. I fish small beadhead nymphs and wetflies, mostly. Hell, most of the patterns I use are just poo poo I threw together that works lol. Modified versions of PT’s, GRHEs, sowbugs and Killer Bug/Bugger variants. For dries, I tend to go with Griffiths Gnats, CDC/elk’s, and CDC Humpies.

If it ends up just being a few of us involved, then I’ll set it up as a fly swap to start with, then if we get enough response, I’ll start a traveling box. Difference being for the swap, everybody sends flies to me, then I’ll divvy them up and mail them back out, vs the traveling box, where I’ll start a box of flies, send them to the next person on the list, who takes some and leaves some, then sends it on to the next person on the list. Swapmaster (me), will keep the addresses and forward them to the person with the box so everybody’s mailing address isn’t just floating around online.

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves

Speaking of this, I am hella down to contribute to the fly-tying / tacklecraft thread once it gets going. I've had a lot of fun learning how to do this stuff. Fly tiers: are there ever any tiny weighted hooks that you use, or do tungsten beads accomplish that for the most part?

I got called in for some extra hospital shifts this weekend, but I’ll try and get a post up soon. As for weighted hooks, there’s a couple options. They do make just heavier hooks than usual, either 2X or 3x heavy, but there’s also pre-weighted jig-type hooks. Anything listed as a Czech nymphing hook is going to be heavier than typical. I usually go for either small tungsten beads or use some wraps of tungsten wire for weight. I also grabbed a packet of tungsten putty, which is nice to add a small, heavy weight to my tippet if flows are way higher than usual or I’m needing to get deep fast. The extra putty weight can play havoc with casting on fixed-line fly rods, but it’s not a problem with the right rod.

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves
I’ve been using the Jack’s Knot for the last few months to tie on my flies, and it’s worked great. Strong, simple, low profile, and it’s pretty fast. I can even tie it when my hands are drat near numb. With practice, you can supposedly tie it without looking, I’m not quite there yet, but I can see how you could do it.

Apparently it was invented by a guy here in Kentucky some time ago, but never got much mention. Only problem I’ve had with it was trying to use it to tie on a dropper, and when it clinched down, it snipped through the first section of tippet. Hasn’t failed on me except the first time I tried it, and I realized after watching a video later that I’d gone around twice instead of only once before I passed the tag thru the loop.

Heres a link to an Orvis article and video mentioning it

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves

gay picnic defence posted:

Never had a spine under my nails but I did get a hook under my thumbnail past the barb once. Not super fun when you have several kilometers to paddle back to land.

One of the best benefits of fishing with a doctor is the fresh bottle of Novocain I keep in my gear for just such an occasion. Ring nerve blocks make hook extraction much simpler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves

Awesome fish, y'all, from the shark head to the dink bass & sunfish. I want to reply to all of these posts, but I don't want to be the guy who replies to every post.

Thank gently caress winter is over in the northern hemisphere. I hope we all get to see lots more fish soon! :)

We’ve finally got some warm, dry weather here this week. Kids are out of town with my wife for spring break the next couple days, so I’m gonna fish the poo poo out of my buddy’s pond. Hopefully bluegill and bass are waking up a little more than the last couple weeks. Heading out there as soon as I can get done seeing patients this afternoon. :woop: