Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

One time I was fishing with my dad and for some reason he really wanted to take a picture of this rockbass I caught. He spent so long digging his camera out and fiddling with it that the fish got loose from my grip a couple of times and spiked me in the hand. Admittedly, I didn't have the best hand position but also didn't think I would be waiting forever.

Between me getting handspiked and complaining about how long the picture was taking, This was the end result:

it is my favourite picture of a fish.

E: trent severn btw

Jump King fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jan 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Ok Fella posted:

First nice catch of the season!

19 inch black drum, dude was tasty. Is there a saltwater fishing thread? That's mainly what I'm doing these days.

Nice fish

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Hey, I haven't gotten a chance to fish yet this year, but I was walking along a stream last week when this fellow swam up to the surface

It was kind of hard to guage the size without a point of reference, I'd say maybe ~25 inches? It had a decently fat head. Not bad given how wide the water is. This stream links some wetlands and a larger creek, so it wasn't surprising there'd be a pike in it, but it's still cool to see fish hanging out in their natural habitat.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Nice fish!

Is your third to last pic there a creek chub? Or some other type of chub?

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Are chubs even considered true minnows?

Taxonomy gets really weird sometimes, and I don't know if chubs are still classified in the right subfamilies, even though on a superficial level I can't really see why they wouldn't be minnows.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Oh I didn't notice it was in Japan. Not really as good at IDing fish outside of North America. Maybe Pungtungia then? I couldn't find results for Japanese white fish that weren't sushi related.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Oh yeah, good ID there, wasn't really taking the redness into account as much as I should have

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

It's been a while since I've fished seriously and I've been just having no luck this summer. It's been unusually hot and I'm told the fishing hasn't been good for anybody around here but I still feel like I'm part of the problem.

How long do you try one thing before you switch up what you're doing or where you're doing it?

For reference I'm in the Trent river and I've tried jigging with worms and wacky jigs, I've tried weedless soft plastics, a weightless senko, a weighted senko, crank baits, a topwater popper, really just about anything I've got. I've been fishing the channel, shorelines, weedy areas, rocky areas, mornings and evenings and I've caught one fish all week: a bullhead on a worm.

I've pretty much been driven to my end here as far as catching fish. I still find fishing really relaxing and a good way to chill out for a few hours so no real loss. I've never been great at fishing but usually I end up with a few bass or something after a week.