Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

The lighting on that first picture is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

joem83 posted:

I caught a fish in Kauai.

Oh no!

Or is it waa hoo!

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

joem83 posted:

My buddy invited me out on his friend's boat, I said yes of course. The 4 of us split bait and gas, came out to like $80 for the day. Hooked up on a tiny yellowtail at our first stop but the hook popped... and that was all I caught in regards to fish. I did catch 2 of these assholes though.

And my buddy got a nice yellerfin, bonus points to him for eating the heart!

Slaughterhouse!

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

That looks way too huge to be a brooky...

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I caught a stocked rainbow last night at about 10 inches and the hook nicked the eyeball. It wasn’t bleeding so I decided to toss him back. Went he took off he immediately did this bizarre surface run and went under the dock and beached himself like a homing torpedo right on this little 4ft wide sand beach between a cement wall.

Tonight I’m having trout.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

joem83 posted:

I'm itching for JUST ONE MORE HIT, I'm gonna try to go on the 29th when my wife takes my kids to Disneyland. See you then!? It really is a lot of fun, just expensive. A full day boat trip will cost ya $160 before you drink 6+ Coors Lights and eat burgers from the galley, then there's the tip for the crew, and the extra cost for filleting your fish......

Yup! Fathom 25. I hid this one from my wife, lol. I was actually thinking about this on the way home, what benefit does a more expensive reel like a Talica or a Trinidad have over something like the Fathom? This thing free spools like a mother fucker and has enough drag to fish some pretty heavy line.

Speaking of heavy line... the magic test this year has been 20 lb for the yellowfin. I'd love to catch one of these school sized yellows on like 40lb and just short pump that fucker in super fast. I've hooked some on my Lexa 300 and Komodo 400 on inshore bass style rods, and while it's fun it is just absolutely exhausting. They dump all that line so easily, especially the skipjack. Those things put up such a good fight.

EDIT: I was looking at the drag rating on this Fathom on Penn's website just now and they're on sale. 186.95 for the Fathom 25, and I paid 190 for a brand new one 2 days ago from a guy I found on Craigslist, lol. Oh well. They're obviously clearing out the old star drag Fathoms to make way for the Fathom 2's that are available this week or the next. I would have waited and got the newer model or waited for a someone to offload one of these for cheap but I wanted it before I went out yesterday.

I kinda prefer star drag after accidently bumping a level drag(?) version and loving up my set on a nice salmon. Perhaps I'd get use to it but for the time being it's not worth switching. Nice reel dude.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Dangerllama posted:

babby’s first salmon.

About 14” or so by my guess. They were everywhere, but very spooky too. Fishing was also complicated by an increase in flow after a (apparently very recent) release. It also put a ton of debris in the river. I was having no luck all day, so threw down a #18 “joker” midge I tied up for giggles (purple bead, black body, chartreuse wire, uv ice dub). On the Dream in November a #18 midge is the equivalent of serving you a seven pound hamburger and you going “seems normal.” But it was the only thing that got any interest.

Anyway. Five hours. One fish. Totally worth it.

Looks like a sockeye but I dont know where you are at?

I've always fished for ocean stage salmon. Some day I'll hit up a river.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Aah sockeye are plankton sippers so it’s a pretty hard to get them to bite in any case doubly when getting ready to mate.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Wait what? Yeah flexible thin is the way to go. You wanna ride the backbone not cut into it.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Those are some great sized sand dabs.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Good stuff.

Curious do you have any information on that tri- kayak?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

gay picnic defence posted:

They’re Hobie Adventure Islands with the mast taken off. Comp rules are that kayaks must be human powered only so no motors or sails. You have to get around with either paddles or pedal drives.

AIs are pretty expensive but extremely seaworthy, capable of covering huge distances when the wind is right.

Ok cool yeah would be terrified of getting stuck against the wind and too tired to paddle/peddle.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I tried one sight casting to coho surface dipping pelagic crabs in the straights.
We caught like 10 quickly and 1 random pink.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Tommy Rough?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

It is not biologically related to the herring family Clupeidae.

Australian herring
Tommy Ruff 1.PNG
Scientific classification edit
Kingdom:
Animalia
Phylum:
Chordata
Class:
Actinopterygii
Order:
Perciformes
Family:
Arripidae
Genus:
Arripis
Species:
A. georgianus
Binomial name
Arripis georgianus
(Valenciennes, 1831)
Synonyms[1]
Centropristes georgianus Valenciennes, 1831

In Australia, additional vernacular names used for this fish include bull herring, herring, rough, ruffies, sea herring, tommy, tommy rough and South Australian roughy. Ruff is the global fisheries name used by the Food and Agriculture Organization.

Lol looks like you can call it anything you want except late to dinner.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Pacific West Coast Dover Sole is actually Slime Sole. loving market names are dumb.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microstomus_pacificus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

What county you in again?