Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG
Armed Neutrality is Swiss, I believe.

Bighorn River, Montana:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

Levitate posted:

I'm gonna start fishing again on my trips, though I don't think I'll get too crazy like carrying a poo poo ton of flies and fishing gear. Just enough stuff to get a fly on the water and bring something in if I catch it. Undecided if I'll eat any

Tenkara's great for that. A few oz. for a complete setup, which means I always have a rig with me when hiking.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

Levitate posted:

I think I'm looking for a 12' rod since I'm aiming to be doing lake fishing and alpine streams where trees and brush aren't really a big concern.

I think I generally understand how traditional fly fishing works but I never got much of a chance or inclination to learn

e: what is that, a plastic rod case, rod, two furled or level lines, tippet line, flies, tools for releasing fish etc, stuff to carry it?

Depending on the manufacturer, you can get tenkara rods up to 15'. I have a 12' and a 13' (different stiffnesses). Neither works well getting out to the center of an alpine lake, but works well on streams or for cruisers along the lake.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

Dr Ozziemandius posted:

Would anyone be interested in a write up on keiryu fishing and the how-to for the worm farm?

Yes!

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

My first (I think) goon meet! I'm meeting up with A Pack of Kobolds tomorrow morning to fish a lake near my new apartment. Wish us luck, or call in search & rescue this time tomorrow.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

Still alive and in possession of all my organs after a fishing meetup with A Pack of Kobolds. He is cool and fun and not at all the goon we all are afraid to meet in real life.

Also, we're calling today's trip a scouting trip, so we don't feel bad about being skunked.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

Hmm....walk across the street or drive/ferry/drive? What to do, what to do....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

joem83 posted:

Use your drag! The biggest fish caught in my local lake was a 102lb blue catfish that the guy caught on 8lb test.

Now I wanna see RuPaul host a fishing show.

beefnoodle fucked around with this message at 16:09 on May 4, 2018