Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I love my Sienna so much, I bought a Sahara.

I still catch all my fish on the Sienna when fishing 2 poles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I've been fishing semi regularly for about 2 years now, upgrading my gear and fishing spots.

I'm mostly fishing inshore in Old Tampa Bay, where the 2 most sought after fish are Red Drum and Snook. I've caught a little bit of everything, but still haven't landed a Snook.

This past Saturday, a buddy and I went out . We both did ok but he landed a nice size Sheepshead and a Snook. I was jealous.

I went back out Monday morning, and on my last shrimp! I hooked a nice size fish I thought was a Red at first. It surfaced for just long enough to catch his black stripe. A Snook!

He broke me off 3 feet from my kayak :(

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Tampa Bay
Snook/Red Drum
I have to admit I don't use lures. Pretty much live shrimp or greenbacks always.

I've tried switching to lures a few times as I have a few I bring with me but I get impatient and switch back quickly.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

Danthrax posted:

Hi fish pic thread!

Tampa Bay, Florida
Redfish (haven't caught one yet), Snapper, Speckled Trout, Pompano, Sheepshead, whatever I can get
Usually use live shrimp or chubs (or greenbacks if I'm at the Skyway pier and can catch some). Haven't had much success with lures. Have a bunch that are supposed to be great so I'm guessing it's me not going to good spots at good times.

If you don't feel like fighting the traffic at Weedon Island, I always put in at Gandy Beach next to the Getaway and paddle straight out to the mangroves. I caught 7 reds out there a couple weeks ago and have brought in a hand full of snook as well. The place is always teeming with Snapper and Sheepshead.

Still have yet to catch any jack or trout though. Also would love to go after small shark but don't even know where to begin.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

Danthrax posted:

Thanks! I have things like gold spoons, DOA shrimp & popping cork, mirrolure minnows, a couple super spook jrs, soft dog, and gulp shrimp. I've had hits on the gulp and super spooks so I know they can attract fish, and I've caught pinfish and a small mutton snapper with my pompano jig setup. I have a silver spoon for mackerel, gotta remember to retrieve it fast. I'll try to get more trips there this winter. There are usually dolphins hanging around the piers which gets discouraging. East/south trips probably won't happen until springtime at the earliest, I was thinking Pompano Beach/Fort Lauderdale area. Would love to go down to the Keys too, haven't been since I was 12 and that was for (an amazing) scuba diving trip with my aunt.

Weedon's not too bad on weekdays (sheepshead city!), both it and Gandy Beach are 5 minutes from my apartment. You're talking about the mangroves by the restaurant/marina, or out towards the power plant? The manatees by the plant startled me last winter, I wasn't expecting them and all of a sudden there's this giant thing underneath me. I usually put in on 4th street and go out north side of the Howard Franklin. That's where I caught the ladyfish and a couple bonnetheads, and I've hooked up on some nice trout/reds but they've always shake free before I can call them "caught."

The jack was on a live shrimp at the north Skyway pier, the trout I've hooked on have been with live shrimp or chubs in the winter. The shark in the gif was on a live shrimp, I've caught another with the same and a third (my first ever, broke the tip of my cheapo Wal-Mart rod) was caught with a frozen finger mullet.

The side by the restaurant/marina. The only thing I've ever caught on the power plant side is multiple sting ray and a lady fish once. The mouth of the power plant can be good fishing but the water moves fast and anchoring my kayak can be difficult.

I know exactly where you mean on 4th. Lots and lots of catfish over. It does have a great reputation, Just haven't had a lot of luck there personally.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I only ever catch huge pin fish like that. When someone told me they were bait fish I couldn’t understand how.

Nice Jack though. Still haven’t landed one in my 3 years since I started fishing again.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

Danthrax posted:

I've only caught one other and that was two years ago. And yeah, that (bigger) fish was delicious! I caught these fish between Gandy beach and The Getaway after the sun went down and the tide was coming in.

Good to know! I was pretty gentle with the fish, only out of the water for a quick photo and loosely held him underwater until he darted away.

During the Summer months the mangrove snapper are everywhere in the area you’re talking about (I’ll be fishing there tomorrow before work) and they get get pretty darn big. I recommend the mangroves just past the parked house boats and then to the left.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I call those Lizard Fish unless that’s something else entirely.

What did you catch the grouper with?

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I took it as a snapper the first time I scrolled by but yeah, definitely not a Mangrove Snapper.

Here is a picture of one that just pooped on me.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Never seen or heard of a sea robin that’s pretty sweet!

Never had the luck of catching any of those fish actually.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Lane Snapper might have been a Pinfish? Very similar looking.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Man the Weedon Island fishing pier always has one old dude from up north who wants to tell you his whole life story and give you advice you didn’t ask for.

They must be in cahoots with the kayak salesmen.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

Danthrax posted:

You get that too? I get people stopping me when I'm trying to launch my kayak (or put it onto my car) and ask about my fishing trip, how much my kayak weighs, what kind of fish are here, do you fish from that thing, etc. Strangely, they never offer to help me load this 66lb thing on top of my car either, even if I'm clearly tired from a few hours of paddling (I need to get in shape). The kayak rental people seem cool from the interactions I've had with them. They're on the crunchy granola side but I've taken friends and family to rent from there and all had positive experiences.

I was planning on launching from there on Monday, hoping that since it'll be both a weekday and kinda cold I won't have to interact with many people.

I know exactly what you mean. I tried to go the Wednesday after Christmas and I knew I was in trouble when I was 5th in line at the bait shop (never been more than one other person there).

Weekday mornings are usually pretty tame so I think you’ll be alright in the kayak. Annoying pier guy will be there to bother anyone trying to fish from land, undoubtedly.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Florida goons

I’m thinking about camping out at Shell Key Preserve in the near future, would I be good to fish from shore with just my regular medium/light gear? Just shoving a pole in the sand while I get my buzz on?

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Thanks! I’m more looking for something to do while one with nature for a couple of days than finding a spot to fish.

Although the pictures in this thread do make me want to try the Skyway rather than my usual stomping grounds (Pinellas end of Gandy, Weedon Island, and where 4th street turns into 275).

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

LingcodKilla posted:

Any of you guys out of Tampa?

There are a few of us from the Bay Area. I can’t remember specifically if it’s this post or the other but I’d imagine most people are posting in both like I am.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

LingcodKilla posted:

You may be my new best friend if I land some orders to Tampa. See what happens in the next couple of weeks.

I got an extra ‘yak for ya!

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I’m a married man with 3 kayaks and a 16’ Gheenoe but not nearly enough free time for fishing

It’s the Yin and the Yang friends.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
If you’re in the Tampa area rent a boat and I will take/show you to more fish than you have time to catch.

Can’t get there with my trolling motor and paddling the kayak 4 miles each way isn’t so much fun and makes keeping fish nearly impossible.

Been to the spot twice in the last year and you can see the huge snook and red shadows in the water and the area (I call it a lagoon) is big enough like 8 charter boats can be back there without interfering with each other.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Going out for the first time in months tomorrow, hope I catch something with my dong spoon!

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I lost my dick lure letting it troll behind my kayak, didn’t even see the rod move at all :(

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Last time I went fishing I caught the worlds tiniest snook on my first cast and didn’t get a nibble for the rest of the trip.

It’s all good.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Glad I’m not the only one that gets my motor all wound up in bullshit.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

I love that movie from your AV btw

Thanks! Watched it for the first time in forever like a month ago. Was surprised by how funny it still is!

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
These South Pinellas County fish wanna know why there are so many shiny dicks in the water all of a sudden.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I’m getting a dick fish next Tuesday god damnit

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

Danthrax posted:

This evening I went under that bridge I found last week with my dog and a ziplock bag of frozen greenbacks I had caught at the Skyway pier about six weeks ago. When the tide started to come in the mangrove snapper bite started, before that I caught a rather large pinfish I was going to use for bait but ultimately decided to let it go. I caught about a half dozen mangrove snapper, all undersized except one which might have been a bit over 10" (I let everything go) and a hardhead catfish once it got dark out and I ran out of bait.

TheBizzness posted:

As long as I catch a fish it was worth the trip.

Even if it’s only a 6” mangrove snapper or a freaking pin fish, it was worth it.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I need to post my gheenoe here so y’all can give me advice on how the hell im supposed to secure the seat base plate. My macgyvered solution is ok for like a year but a long term solution would be nice.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

Danthrax posted:

Florida goons (both current and former residents): Anybody have freshwater experience in the state? My sister lives in Winter Haven which is surrounded by lakes, and there's Lake Maggiore in St Pete that probably has at least seven fish in it. I'd like to fish from shore and kayak, but I have no idea where to begin. I'd also like to buy a dedicated freshwater baitcast rod/reel combo, any recommendations for something under $140 to get started? Buying it is a couple months away but I'd like to get some research done beforehand. I've gone from clueless idiot to partially-clueless novice when it comes to saltwater, and over the next year I'd like to work on doing the same with freshwater. I haven't fished in freshwater since I was a kid fishing for perch/trout with my dad using worms and bobbers. It seems like there are a thousand species to target in this state, and I wanna try and catch as many as possible. Help me fall down another rabbit hole/increase my chances of being eaten by a gator.

Lake Maggiore is brackish and actually stocked with Redfish and Snook and I often wonder if I should try going out in the kayak and if my normal salt water shrimp would work as bait in the fresher water. And if so, would like bass and bluegill also go after it?

I have 0 insight to your actual question though sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I bought one of those crystal shrimp and lost it on the first cast.

Let me know how it goes! I normally fish live bait cause I’m a crummy fisherman and it’s much easier but I’m gonna give artificial an honest try tomorrow.

Hopefully I get some fish to post.