Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

A blast on the creek today.

brown!

bow!

another bow!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Good day yesterday. Found a couple new spots on the St. Vrain.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Had a great time on the Eagle.

gamera009 fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Jul 6, 2018

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

joem83 posted:

Those are some straight up beautiful trout. All catch and release or did you feast on some of the fish meats? I'm already hyped for trout season here (starts November) and subsequently stressed about catching more than I can eat. I need more fish eating friends. Sockington has it made with his always willing recipients for his angling bounties.

I mostly just release. Bag limit on the Eagle is two and the wife pulled that monstrous brown out of a large run and we both stared at it for a while.

No bag or cooler in the car though. :negative:

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

Ant of y'all ever tried Tenkara fly fishing? I'm thinking of picking up a rig.

I recently picked up a Hane from TenkaraUSA. My wife uses the Ito from them as well.

I like the Hane, and it's a nice compact packable rod. Very different from the western rod style, but I've caught plenty of fish with it. My biggest issue is that it's easy to break if you treat it like a standard western rod. It's not - it's more delicate in some ways, but I've still landed large fish with it. Technique is definitely critical.

The nice thing about TenkaraUSA is that they replace anything for free if it's in the first 60 days of purchase. They're in Boulder, so it's super fast for me to get replacement parts, which I like. I've never had to wait more than a day for anything.

That being said, it's nice to walk to the river and be ready in a few seconds - much faster than piecing the rod together, feeding line, tying in, and then fishing. With my tenkara rod, I telescope the rod and unwind the tapered line. My tippet and fly are already on there ready to go. I'm going to experiment with a tippet ring and a couple of soft hackles to see if it's as good as people say.

I wouldn't say that tenkara is better or worse than typical western fly rods - it has advantages and disadvantages. I like both and use both.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Spent the weekend chasing arctic grayling. Super fun. They are definitely one of the more challenging species to catch on a fly rod!

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Creek was v productive this past weekend.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Shakedown run for the new Keiryu-X pickup. This is probably my new go-to for everything short of the Colorado or Frying Pan.

gamera009 fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Oct 21, 2018

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Dr Ozziemandius posted:

I throw 'em in a little bowl I keep by my tying stuff to eventually get to later.

Anybody still interested in doing a fly tying thread/traveling fly box? I kinda got busy with work the past couple months and it slipped my mind.

I’d be down but out here all I really need are Adams/PMDs, p-tails and zebra midges - although hippie stompers are a good dry/indicator fly. :iiam:

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

Half the time trout don't even know what the gently caress they want. I have never had much luck casting for them, but that is probably mostly due to my own deficiencies.

I mentioned this in the A/T fishing thread, but I wanted to remind y'all that I'm making jigs and sinkers these days and would be happy to send some to anybody who needs them. I make jigs with Mustad hooks and have a bunch of different molds. I need practice, so you'd be doing me a favor by giving me a reason to melt some lead.

Speaking of this, I am hella down to contribute to the fly-tying / tacklecraft thread once it gets going. I've had a lot of fun learning how to do this stuff. Fly tiers: are there ever any tiny weighted hooks that you use, or do tungsten beads accomplish that for the most part?

EDIT: Going out for redtails and a clam dig this Saturday. :woop:

I have no idea what trout are like where you're at, but pretty much every time I have fished for trout in Colorado, they are dumb and ravenous. They only slow down in winter, and that's just because their metabolism is so low. I still have luck in the winter though - you just have to cast it in front of them so they open their mouths and inhale. No biggie. :iiam:

gamera009 fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jan 4, 2019

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

Most of my opportunities for trout have been bank and pier fishing in lakes these days, usually in highly populated areas that don't get anywhere near as cold as Colorado. Most of the dumb trout I encounter are small, recent plants that will be eaten by cormorants before they grow to any decent size. Maybe I should fish rivers more often.

:hmmyes:

This is the solution.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Dangerllama posted:

Sounds like it’s time to move onto carp.

I really want one of those burly as gently caress carp keiryu rods. Looks fun as gently caress. Large trout on the keiryu is fun as hell already.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Dangerllama posted:

January fly fishing is really frustrating. That is all.

What are you using? I’ve been running a size 14 egg as a point fly and then a tiny zebra midge or two under it. As long as the previous day or two have been warm (mid-40s to 50s) the trout have been frisky.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Dangerllama posted:

Yesterday I didn’t change up much. Went up to Deckers and ran a #22 blue poison tung in front of a #22 juju baetis. No love, so I swapped the trailer out for a #24 top secret midge. Still nothing. A guy I passed in the lot just upstream of Deckers said he saw a riser, but I never saw any takes.

Didn’t even see a single fish, so it was less “what are they eating” and more “where the gently caress are they?”

The water is skinny enough that I wasn’t using any extra weight (still touching bottom every once in a while). I assume the fish are stacked up in the deep holes, which all have someone posted up in them by the time it warms up enough to be fishable.

It was packed yesterday.

With the spate of colder weather and precipitation, it’s going to be garbage for a while again. You might as well stay home and tie flies. I’ve been building up my stock of midges and flashback p-tails. Started tying weighted yarn eggs for early spring and those haven’t been bad. I’m tempted to try a small jigged version of an egg pattern to keep it from snagging when I bounce them off the bottom.

I’ve seen some interesting jigged nymph patterns I want to try - including a version of a squirmy that supposedly is “no snag” since it’s jigged.

Larger stretches of clear creek around golden haven’t been bad, but my usual haunts around Idaho Springs and the Eagle are basically locked up for the year. :smith:

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Good day on the St. Vrain.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Dangerllama posted:

Nice lookin’ fish. How’s visibility? I rode up Lookout yesterday, and Clear Creek was looking very run-off-y.

Not great. Runoff is here, but seams are holding fish as long as you can punch down some larger nymphs.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

I am away this week, but I plan on hitting the Eagle and probably Clear Creek once the flows aren’t absolutely bonkers.

St, Vrain hasn’t been bad, but it hasn’t been particularly good either.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Trout time on the Yampa right now. Beautiful pulls and the trico hatches and BWO hatches were mind boggling.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

I tried taking a classy photo, but this bastard wouldn’t have any of it.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Dangerllama posted:

Had a new one today. Fishing a section of water on the South Platte when a guy appears about 40 yards or so downstream of me. It’s the same run-ish, but toward the end of it. On a crowded summer weekend it wouldn’t be a huge deal, but I’m surprised he’s that close on Columbus Day.

No problem, there are a lot of bushes and a bend in the river. And I’m re-rigging on the shore, so he probably didn’t see me.

Then he moves up into the next pocket.

I cough, and make a kind of show of what I’m doing. He doesn’t notice me, or doesn’t pay attention.

Then he moves up into the next seam.

Eventually the guy is about 15 yards from me, and clearly fishing into water I’m working.

“Do you mind giving me a little room?” I ask.

“Oh, are you fishing this?” he gestures towards water within casting distance.

“Yes. I’m fishing this.”

“Okay. Well, good luck.”

The guy finally moved on. In retrospect I don’t know if he was a bit clueless, or just didn’t care, but I suppose I should consider myself fortunate this doesn’t happen more often. Anglers around here are generally pretty considerate. I’ve certainly never had to tell someone to take a hike before.

This is why I rarely fish the South Platte at this point. I'd rather take my chances on the Eagle, or take a weekend on the Yampa/Colorado/Arkansas. I also have the luck of living five to ten minutes away from three spots along South Boulder Creek.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Dangerllama posted:

Got skunked all day on the South Platte except for…a personal best Brown. Trout, how do they work?

Granted, it doesn’t help that my prime fishing hours tend to be between 10am and 4pm.

If you want, I tend to run around Big T, St. Vrain, and boulder creek. Feel free to tag along if you want! Occasionally I hit up Clear Creek between Golden and Idaho Springs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Dangerllama posted:

I’ve been meaning to check out the Thompson and St. Vrain. May take you up on this sometime. I need to get out of my Deckers rut.

Do those mostly fish like freestones?

For the most part yes, just with tighter quarters and more plunge pools.