Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Hiking is really just a way to reach better fishing spots. Please post your most beloved fish itt.

This was my very first fish:

This was my second, latter that morning:

A boy's first bass:

Please note that I didn't know any better but it is a real dick move to lay a fish on a non-wet surface.

This bass I caught in the middle of fuckin DC:

Fishing in the rain is great, fish are already wet, they don't give a gently caress about rain:

Some times a bird will catch a fish, but then will drop it in the woods, stupid bird:

Today I caught a pickerel. They are a great winter fish:

But Do Not put your fingers in a pickerel's mouth:

Fishing rules everyone post some fish!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Good fish posting, keep it up!

I would like to also open this up to tackle posting:

This is a Woody's spinner, a locally made lure. They and ones like them are far and away the best white perch baits in the area.

This is the lure I have caught most of my bass with:

About half the time I fish is wacky like this, the other half I use the same jib and rig it like a Ned rig.

This spring/summer I want to do some wade fishing for SMB using ultralight cranks on a light/medium rod:

I am replacing the factory trebles with single hooks or barbless trebles.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
God damm gently caress those otters man. That pond looked amazing. I rent a place on a farm currently and we have a tiny lovely little pond. I kinda want to get it stocked now.

I have never caught a wild trout, just the lame stocked ones. The state puts them in ponds that are way to warm and low in oxygen, so they are really sluggish. The only way to make them fun is to use super small spinners with barb less hooks and this super super wimpy UL rod. I always just throw them back because it would be a pain to carry them around.

EDIT:

Tenkara madness!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zA33IidhVSQ

bongwizzard fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Dec 30, 2015

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Nice fishes!

Our spring weather xmas has turned into a cold and windy new years so I haven't been out in a while but I have some new waders I am itching to get wet so hopefully next week will be full of fish even if it is too windy for kayaks.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
That is a very scary looking fish.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

LingcodKilla posted:

The life cycle of pacific salmon is pretty wild. That fish stopped eating already and all its fat and protein will go to keeping it alive only long enough to mate. It had no hope of survival and will die after having sex for the first time.

stay safe ugly sex fish

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I have entered the world of custom rods. Any bad idea I have, someone will make for me!

Fortunately, it turned out amazingly well! I got it from Smallie Stix in PA, it's a MHX 6' ML blank, Microwave guides, and an Alps reel seat. It weighs nothing, casts as far as my 7' St Croix ML can, and has more backbone and sensitivity. The day I picked it up I fished with it for 8-9 hours and never got cramped. Really loving this thing.

I also caught my first wild trout:

Found a stream full of these little guys. I had far far too heavy a line on my light rod for this stuff, but it was fun non the less. I want to respool my little 500 spinning reel with like 2lb braid and go after these guys again with these 1/124oz jigs I have been tying.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

LingcodKilla posted:

Little brown?

Yep, cute little bastard.

Caught a nice pickerel yesterday while bass fishing. It hit like 30' out and I thought it was a turtle it fought so hard.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

New personal best bass, caught on a fluke in an abandoned park. Broke off right at the bank, but I managed to grab him and get the lure out. I have been flirting with YZ Hybrid but back to my trusty 15lb braid.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
You fish so you are not just some sketchy dude wandering around in the woods. The rod is an alibi.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
If people don't want to see my wacky worm, they should stay off the water.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Baitcasters are tough to start on without instruction and cheap ones even more so. I have heard that the Abu Black Max line is decent though.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Some bass from last week. Not pictured: maybe a hundred smallmouth and redbreasts I got wading last Monday. The kayak is fun and all but I think wade fishing is becoming my favorite.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Heh....chub

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Buddy, I am the chub-master. A tiny fly fishing hook baited with a little marshmallow bait, tied to 2lb mono, the chubs cannot resist it.

I need to get a little micro fishing rod though, trying to hand-line on eroded suburban creeks is a pain.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
What weight rod and what kind of line are you using? I used to constantly use too light a rig for t-rigged plastics and was missing a ton of hook sets. I fished the same stretch of river like two weeks apart, same small lure both trips, first with a ML rod and braid, then with a L rod with stretch hybrid, the different in missed hooks sets were crazy.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
What is there a weight range on the rod? The short length and 6lb mono make me assume it it a L or UL rod, which would explain hookset issues.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Dude, get you a Ned Rig.

Google it for details, but the jist is using these special plastics from a company called Zman, which are a different type of plastic that makes them super durable, super soft, and super buoyant. The idea is by using one of these small plastics on a very light jighead, you have a lure that can be worked fast to cover water, has amazing action despite being a stick bait, and is super durable.

To start out, order a pack of Zman stickbaits and some Zman 1/15oz jigs. Other stuff will work but not as well imho. Stretch the plastics out to snap some salt out, then cut them in half and use a drop of glue to hold them on the jighead.

The Ned will catch tiny fish and big fish. Using an open hook will help you with hooksets on a L rod. It is a really productive lure and will get you catching. You will loose them often fishing around cover, but a single pack of worms gets you eight baits, so for like $20 worth of tackle you can get a ton of fish.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Looked intriguing. I was using small tungsten bullet weights. So you're saying no weed guard? Also, what size hook should I be using, and should they be offset?

The traditional way to rig them is a small, #2-6 exposed hook on a 1/16oz mushroom headed jig. Almost everyone who fishes them changes something but try to do it this way first. Learning to work open hooked in and around cover is a good skill to have and with a L action rod it will really help your hooksets.

If you want to try it weedless, then try a Owner Ultrahead ball jig, 1/16oz w/ a #1 hook. It is the best I have found without buying JDM stuff off of ebay. But it is noticeably harder to make hooksets on smaller fish.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Oh, and don't use a crappie or panfish jig, the Gopher and Zman jigs are small but have strong for size hooks.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
The general consensus is that one should avoid them unless there is a clear need, which in your case there seems to be. I would buy a few different styles to try and see which kind allows the best action.

There are also various knot tying aids, but I dont have any experience with them.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

extra stout posted:

Also I gotta disagree with bongwizard: Use a crappie/panfish jig and never bother catching bass on purpose again, when it comes to eating fish black crappie are the efficient and tasty king

Bass are just for looking at, not eating dude.

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Woo! Caught a small largemouth top fishing a dark green plastic worm and hook setting off YouTube instructions. Awesome.

Awesome dude. If you are going to be working a weightless worm on top/sub-surface, then consider a fluke:

Zoom Supers are inexpensive, decently durable, versatile, and imho super fun to fish.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Fishing with barbless hooks is going to lose you more fish The less you become incredibly good about keeping tension all the time. I have started debarbing my hooks when I am fishing open water like in streams and poo poo as I am finding that trying to keep the fish on the line especially in current, is a hell of a lot of fun.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Ocean fish look so weird to me, like, they don't even look like they could swim.

I have just discovered that like every crappy little stream around here seems to have small mouth in it, so I have been spending all my time bushwhacking and wading to catch a bunch of tiny little bastards. I need to knock it off as the white perch season just kicked off an I am missing all the action.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Good work fishbro.

I've been out of town for a while working on incredibly stressful and lovely gag. One of my coping mechanisms is to have a few drinks, lay in bed, and buy fishing tackle on the Internet.

I know the gig was really bad as my girlfriend just texted me that she has received no less than five packages for me the last few days. I'm going to be drowning in rubber worms when i get home.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Went out to try the new Z man finesse tubes. Only had about an hour after fish got these two guys,a smaller smallie and a pair of decent size panfish.

More excitingly, I saw maybe a 20 inch snakehead cruising through the stream. He was not interested in the only lures I had with me, and I honestly didn't think they were this far up this particular river yet.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Goddamnit, is posting pictures through the awful app busted as well?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

No pic of the snakehead, but it looked like this:

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I have a few Okuma Avengers and they have held up well. I also see a ton of them charter boat racks, which I guess also speaks well of their durability.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Get a little stone dude.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
That is an unusually high gut-hook rate, I suspect you are missing a poo poo ton of bites and only noticing the ones when they sallow it and swim away. What power/action and brand of rod are you using again?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Are you line watching like a motherfucker? I'm guessing that your rod is not sensitive enough to detect a really gentle bite and by time you noticed they've already swallowed the lure and hook. Often your only clue to a bite is the line moving sideways. I caught two bass this morning on weightless senkos and both times I didn't feel anything, just saw the line move.

Using braid should be helping but maybe use a slightly heavier weight so you can keep the line tighter?

How are you fishing the worm, lift/drop, drag/deadstick, or what?

Also very jealous of your backyard pond.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Today I went perch fishing in the Severn River.

I caught a lot of little guys like this:

And a bunch of medium guys like this:

I also caught this weird guy, not sure what he was doing in such brackish water:

And then, I caught this bastard:

16" Striped Bass, my first one. Caught him way back up in the creek in maybe 3' of water. He hit the little spinner sticking out of the Pumpkinseed's mouth. The bass was quite a thing on a 5' UL rod and a 500 reel. It took like a full minute to get him in and I cut the poo poo out of my hand when I had to grab the line to keep him from running under my kayak.

Tomorrow I am taking the yak to this bass pond that I bank fish at. I got a 3lb-ish LM out of there in the spring so I am going to cover the entire pond to try and find another one.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

LingcodKilla posted:

Where you fishing at again?

In a feeder creak to a tidal river that feeds the Chesapeake bay. As far as I know it is salty enough to only support brackish/saltwater species. My buddy is a bio-researcher so I am going get him to send the pic around and see what's up.

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Whoah...it took me a few minutes on two piece light action for an 18 inch largemouth...is that excessive? He hid under trees and stuff a few times.

In general you want to land a fish asap as they get the same muscle cramps we do and a long fight increases mortality. So generally just get it landed with out dragging it across the surface, as you want it to be a little tired so you can unhook easier. In my case, I immediately knew that I had either caught a striper or a chain pickerel, both of which would break my little rod and maybe max out the drag on my little reel, so I had to let it run a bit before I began to retrieve him. I cannot stress how light this rod is, it is a UL Mod action, so basically a noodle. I bought it because it is the only thing I have found that will cast a 1/16oz inline spinner remotely well. It still isnt great, but step up to 1/8th and it will cast a loving mile. In any case, it was bent double and I started to hold it away from my face in case it snapped. Really an awesome end to the day.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

LingcodKilla posted:

Oh I'm in Norfolk for 4 months. Let's go fishing?

Hah, I'm like 4 hours away, it's a big bay dude.

But I would be up for it, I am off work for a while but Sep/Oct are going to be nuts so I need to get all the fishing in I can. Can you get access to a kayak? I have no idea what the deal with saltwater fishing down there is and I am mostly a freshwater guy in any case. I do have a surf rod that I have used exactly once that I would love to give a workout, but idk what the seasons are for that.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Dude maybe you got some depressed fish?

Iirc you are catching in the 1-2lb range right? I have noticed that dinks will often smash a large lure to their own determent but you just seem to attract some reckless rear end bass.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
The quest for a cheaper senko seems to be an eternal one. Try Z-man Zlinkers, which will loose all their salt after an hour or so, then set them aside and make ned rigs out of them. Savage Gear sells an "Armor Worm" that has some mesh in the middle. They get good reviews but have limited color options. Thirdly, look up the various o-ring solutions for wacky rigging. And lastly, there is a glue/solvent called Mend-it that melts and rebonds ripped senkos perfectly.

However, anyone with a bass pond in their yard gets zero fuckin sympathy you lucky jerk.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Have you tried t-rigged Power Worms or Culprit Worms? They might work and are cheaper. Also pick up a pack of Zoom Super Flukes in whatever color was working in senkos. They lack the magic shimmy of a senko but they have similar action when worked. There is also a small manufacture called Blitz Baits that sells a "Sassy Stick" that some people claim is as good as a senko.

I spent most of the summer fishing weightless t-rigged plastics and my top performers were flukes and Rage Menace Grubs. The Rage stuff isnt cheap, but is cheaper then senkos and more durable.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
The bait-monkey is a bastard for sure.

I have been working 12-16h days for a week or so now, at some point during this time I ordered, from ebay, a finesse casting reel from japan. So now I guess I have to buy a rod for it so that I can do the exact same types of fishing my pair of spinning rigs can already cover. I am dumb as hell I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I just have a little stone with a groove in it. But I almost never fish jigs or other hard baits that aren't disposable, so I almost never use it.

I did start using fancier (Owner, Troker) hooks and they seem to hold a sharp point for as long as they last before I snag and loose them.